Review Good/Bad vs Richmond - Rd 13, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I only noticed one bloke who didn't...It would be unfair to name him though.

Unrelated, gee Dusty played well
You could tell a lot from the way both captains related to the kids they were running out with at the beginning of the game. Tex chatted with his and looked after him. Dusty just wanted to get rid of his.

Bad: First quarter. We didn't turn up and looked as though we had been drinking the bathwater and the Richmond injuries. Two cases in point; (1) Jenkins refusing to chase blatantly, (2) Dougy jogging as Richmond players did as they liked. These incidents made me think it was going to be a long night.

Thankfully, we dropped into caring mode in the second and basically dominated the quarter, but not on the scoreboard.
We dominated the third more clearly.

In the last, the commentators were correct in surmising that we looked cooked early. To recover from the zero bench and the 5-day break to then turn it around and run away with it was outstanding.

Others have made good comments on the players. I will just add that Smith's performance was very strange tonight: he looked out of sorts for some reason, but tried hard for the whole game. For most of the night he was under pressure and his disposals suffered. Curiously, when he kicked his goal, he didn't look too impressed: maybe he was unhappy with his game?

The last three weeks have shown we are a very fit team and we have had massive last quarters with 16 goals in total over those three matches. Just need to fix up the first halves and we can beat anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you actually improve your pace, he looks way quicker than he has shown his entire career.
You can, yes. I’ve noticed it too - Wouldn’t surprise me if he had a focus on that over preseason.

He was very good up forward against West Coast (he played there when he was playing for Centrals).
That was a once of in the AFL, as overall his form up forward has been average
.. compared to across half back where he really influences games.

Only read the first 2 pages. Lol at the folk whipping Rat. He was good last night.

Really, the only 2 players down were Jnr and Douglas, even tho Douglas was better than last week.

Brouch is very fit at the moment. Now getting continuous games under his belt. Really hitting immense form.

Tex has had a few good games in a row now, as has JJ.

It was noticeable that Lynch wasnt out there. We really missed that link up.

Also losing Murphy early hurt us as we had so much of the ball in the second quarter.

We've hit a nice bit of form heading into the bye, which we need for the injuries sustained.

I am a RatKing doubter, but i think we need to take our ****-coloured glasses off when you look back on this game. He actually did some quite good things. He evolved throughout the game and grew some testicles and actually did pretty good in the second half i think. Atkins taking a punch in the face and still marking it, and then not shirking a floater coming his way 30 seconds later could be a bit of turning point... hopefully

He was very good in the 2nd half, terrible in the first.

I don't think you are really understanding what I was saying.

I didn't assume we would dominate them. We did dominate them. There was a period in the second quarter where we had spares everywhere and they couldn't touch us. We controlled the game in every facet. We had Richmond in a vice. Our reward? 2 goals to Richmond's 2 goals.

My issue is exactly related to your last point. Games will always ebb and flow. Which is why it's crucial that when we are dominating like we did today for three quarters, that we are not in a position where in the last quarter, the opposition could have 5 good minutes and win.

Again, it's not frustrating to watch because we aren't dominating or kicking 25 goals a match. It's frustrating because we are dominating, we are getting the ball up forward consistently, but we just can't score to save ourselves.

I enjoyed beating Richmond but I don't think we are playing well enough to stand the test of finals football. And we won't be at that level until we can fix our delivery inside 50.
Our forward play, both delivery and the movement within our forward line is not good enough for the most part.

Luckily it clicked in the last 15 minutes.

The second quarter dominance should have given us a 10 goal buffer had our forward play been as good as Richmond's.

Oh and Tom Lynch. Cleanest pair of hands I have seen in a long time. With his size and leading patterns I can understand why he gets the big bucks.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The less said about Milera’s game tonight the better. But more broadly I am worried that he’s a very good player who doesn’t presently ‘own’ a position.
We saw his quality last year on the HBF but Smith has repossessed that. Seedsman and Atkins have got the wings covered. He’s second string in midfield rotation and a bit lost as a high half forward.
How best should we use him in our current team structure?
Even though Kelly is having a career best season, I think he needs to come out for team balance and have Milera back to give more run and penetration.

Even though Kelly is having a career best season, I think he needs to come out for team balance and have Milera back to give more run and penetration.
Kelly is one of our best actual defenders.....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I am a RatKing doubter, but i think we need to take our ****-coloured glasses off when you look back on this game. He actually did some quite good things. He evolved throughout the game and grew some testicles and actually did pretty good in the second half i think. Atkins taking a punch in the face and still marking it, and then not shirking a floater coming his way 30 seconds later could be a bit of turning point... hopefully

He sure does have his “moments”

But when he’s good he’s very very good

Good
Gutsy win
Leaders leading
Crouches are just incredible ball magnets
3 ( I think ) of Tex’s handballs - best handballer in the league

The bad
It was against “brave “ but mediocre opposition

The ugly
The injuries and the crowd
Too many of the first and not enough of the second

Where the bloody hell were they ?

Only read the first 2 pages. Lol at the folk whipping Rat. He was good last night.

Really, the only 2 players down were Jnr and Douglas, even tho Douglas was better than last week.

Brouch is very fit at the moment. Now getting continuous games under his belt. Really hitting immense form.

Tex has had a few good games in a row now, as has JJ.

It was noticeable that Lynch wasnt out there. We really missed that link up.

Also losing Murphy early hurt us as we had so much of the ball in the second quarter.

We've hit a nice bit of form heading into the bye, which we need for the injuries sustained.

Smith was down too. He's really struggling with his decision making at the moment. Also seems to frequently run into spots as though he's a left footer and as a result can't get his natural hook on the ball.

Seed looked much more involved last night at least, but he also is not kicking the ball with his usual fluency/penetration.

Impressive finish, seemed to hit the jets with 10 minutes left.
Building... nice to see Walker seemingly injury free.
Hopefully the no risk injury policy stays.
Pyke on the bench seems to be working.
Played some smart footy at times with overlap possession which nullified Richmonds heavy tackling emphasis early.
ROB is going to cop a lot of attention after that.
Good to have the big forwards playing big.
Looking forward to seeing Fogarty let loose at some stage...

We’ve just beaten GWS 5 days ago but still we’re no good?

I didn't say we're not good. We are good. We just aren't good enough to go all the way in finals. Fix our inside 50 conversion though and we might be able to.

Good
  • Jenkins - played like he wanted to win. Attacked the ball like he really wanted it. If he does that consistently, he is all but unstoppable. Really hope the knee is ok.
  • Atkins - much, much better. Always a mixture of excellent and horrific, but at least was willing to tackle and put his body on the line. He will wake up tomorrow and wonder what the black and blue marks on his body are.
  • ROB - damn. Now, we understand that he was playing against Richmond's backup to their backup. However, he did exactly what you want - he dominated. Best of all, it wasn't just the hitouts, he gets clearances, tackles, chases and uses his body. The scariest thing - I heard that we are well down the track in negotiations for Grundy and that we are talking about giving up ROB and our 1st pick. Do not want to do this. ROB is no Grundy, BUT, he's 10 games in to his career. Hows he going to be after 50 games? 100 games??
  • Walker - love it when he attacks the ball in the air. Had the type of game where he almost tore it apart - just lots that didn't stick.
  • Crouch(s) - ball magnets. It concerns me how much they chase the ball and pay very little attention to being defensive. If they don't win the clearance, we are in big trouble. But hell they win it a lot. They are absolutely warriors. I would really like to see if BCrouch can work on his kicking and hand balling skills though. They are horrendous.
  • Hartigan - good again. He's important to our side.
  • Eddie - Walker is right. He's not a 'freak'. He is too consistent kicking those type of goals for that. He is just unbelievably skilled. Like ridiculously skilled. Loved the interaction with Stack (who is going to be a star). Only a flog like Gary Lyon would complain about it.
  • Umpiring - cop a hammering regularly, but they were pretty good for the most part

Bad
  • Keath starting to be exposed a bit. Struggles when asked to defend one on one. In other words, perfect for Melbourne! Hope he stays though.
  • Talia - is looking slower and slower and I'm really concerned about his bodies ability to play much longer. Still an absolute star defender and it really exposes us when he isn't there.
  • Murphy - forgot his mouthguard...what is this the amateurs?? Are you serious? How do you not have a spare mouthguard kept with the equipment manager etc... I can't believe any player is even allowed to play without a mouthguard. It cost us a player for 90% of the game. Not good enough.

Ugly
  • We struggled for 3/4 to beat Richmond's B team. Let's not get carried away thinking this was a good win. It wasn't.
  • Milera - had a fitness test prior to the game, but was clearly not ok. The worst game he's played and from the first minute he didn't look right. Hoping he can get back to his best, because he is a star. Would like to see him on half back with the occasional run on the ball. I think it is where he will play best going forward.

I didn't say we're not good. We are good. We just aren't good enough to go all the way in finals. Fix our inside 50 conversion though and we might be able to.
No question we need to work on conversion from an execution point of view, no one wants to see 20m set shots missed.

I don’t think we’re going to see a return to the sparkling days of 2017 smooth I50 transition and conversion. It’s just not how we’re playing.

Is it good enough to go deep in Sept, who knows, but we all sat through the GF, and I’m happy we’re taking a different approach

No question we need to work on conversion from an execution point of view, no one wants to see 20m set shots missed.

I don’t think we’re going to see a return to the sparkling days of 2017 smooth I50 transition and conversion. It’s just not how we’re playing.

Is it good enough to go deep in Sept, who knows, but we all sat through the GF, and I’m happy we’re taking a different approach

Agreed, especially on that last part. We're just not quite there yet

Remove this Banner Ad

Back