• Wayne Milera

• Darcy Fogarty

• Brodie Smith

• James Borlase

• Reilly O'Brien

• Mark Keane

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Career high possessions this year and 20+ disposals in the other 5 games, he definitely has the tank to play midfield. Dew even mentioned the start of last year that Rankine will surprise a lot of people in the midfield as he is more than just a quality small forward.
View attachment 1780345

Rankine is actually tough as nails too. Tough, quick, has a side step, hits the ball with speed ala Pedlar, uses the ball extremely well via foot/hand pass.

This guy will be a serious problem for other teams if he ends up as a starting midfielder. He has all the attributes that not many people have.

Rankine is actually tough as nails too. Tough, quick, has a side step, hits the ball with speed ala Pedlar, uses the ball extremely well via foot/hand pass.

This guy will be a serious problem for other teams if he ends up as a starting midfielder. He has all the attributes that not many people have.
Also, has the mindset to chase and tackle which is the same as Rachele when he play in the midfield.
1692538632833.png

Serious food-for-thought:
When we're underdogs we have gone fine this season. Winnable game that could set our season up on the other hand...? Play some ordinary football.

Game looks lost, 5+ goals down...? Suddenly we find our mojo.
Yes, bewildering, isn't it?
I'm no psychiatrist and have no solution, but watching other teams they have tone-setters. Players who step up at crunch times and deliver. They simply don't allow their team mates to be flat. They drag them into the game. They don't allow the opposition to get a jump on them. If it's a shaky start they do something about it immediately.
There are marquee players who inspire and lead by example. They either set the tone, or lift when the team needs it, on-field. Sloane used to do that in his prime years. Eddie galvanised our group by freakish individual acts --- I can see Rankine doing that soon. Pedlar as well. Fogarty has that potential, too.
Dawson lifts the side on-field, now. Tex 2016/17.
Looking at the Premiers from 2000 onwards, Blighty as well 97/98, I think the Coaches are the real driving forces. Tough, uncompromising, hard nuts like Matthews, Clarko, Chris Scott, Beveridge, Hardwick.
Nicks is a kitty-kat to their tigers.

Serious food-for-thought:

Yes, bewildering, isn't it?

There are marquee players who inspire and lead by example. They either set the tone, or lift when the team needs it, on-field. Sloane used to do that in his prime years. Eddie galvanised our group by freakish individual acts --- I can see Rankine doing that soon. Pedlar as well. Fogarty has that potential, too.
Dawson lifts the side on-field, now. Tex 2016/17.
Looking at the Premiers from 2000 onwards, Blighty as well 97/98, I think the Coaches are the real driving forces. Tough, uncompromising, hard nuts like Matthews, Clarko, Chris Scott, Beveridge, Hardwick.
Nicks is a kitty-kat to their tigers.
Beveridge a hard nut? He's a sook. Only people he's ever gone hard at are a pipsqueak journo and our coach for questioning the umpires (because umpires don't make mistakes).

Beveridge a hard nut? He's a sook. Only people he's ever gone hard at are a pipsqueak journo and our coach for questioning the umpires (because umpires don't make mistakes).
:confusedv1:
Clarkson ex-assistant, Premiership Coach 2016, losing GF Coach 2021, so 2 GFs in 6 years.
6 Finals series in 8 years. Pretty good for a 'sook'.

I'd take that record for the Crows over the last 8 years, happily.

Now Melira is starting to gain full fitness. Would love to see him be given a go in the mid. He has a great side step and rarely gets tackled and is elite by foot.

Now that the dust has largely settled, time to review the game, ignoring the Keays goal shambles.

Good:
Backlines largely held up despite our incredibly poor performance
Max M was solid as usual
Crouch continues to offer something and at least is trying to be more attacking when he gets the ball
Soligo - outstanding, especially when we struggled most. A real breakout game.
Dawson was heavily tagged but worked through it. He lifted enormously in the last quarter.

Bad:
I genuinely laughed when I saw a centre bounce that included Sloane and Crouch. Is it 2016?
Keays had an absolute stinker of a game. Fitting that his his winner would be removed.
Rachele has lost confidence. He also does not defend or chase anywhere near enough. Still has lots of development to go.
Pedlar as sub? Ridiculous. Coaches need to hang their heads in shame.
Hinge was clearly hampered. Should not have been picked. Why do we never learn?
Coaching. Sydney had us utterly baffled for 3/4 of the game. How they managed to get 3 players on their own inside 50 on a regular basis is very concerning.

Ugly:
Slowne being picked.
Slowne being picked to play midfield.
Slowne's performance.
Slowne injured (again).
ROB. Zero marks.
Thilthorpe is getting picked because he plays 5 minutes of back up ruck. That's it. His efforts are poor. It's not good enough.
Our first half. Might be the worst I saw us play all year. Just awful. Fumbles, free players everywhere, looked lost. Was very lucky not to be further behind.

Now that the dust has largely settled, time to review the game, ignoring the Keays goal shambles.

Good:
Max M was solid as usual
Crouch continues to offer something and at least is trying to be more attacking when he gets the ball
Dawson was heavily tagged but worked through it. He lifted enormously in the last quarter.

Bad:
I genuinely laughed when I saw a centre bounce that included Sloane and Crouch. Is it 2016?
Keays had an absolute stinker of a game. Fitting that his his winner would be removed.
Rachele has lost confidence. He also does not defend or chase anywhere near enough. Still has lots of development to go.
Coaching. Sydney had us utterly baffled for 3/4 of the game. How they managed to get 3 players on their own inside 50 on a regular basis is very concerning.

Ugly:
Slowne being picked.
Slowne's performance.
Slowne injured (again).
ROB. Zero marks.
Thilthorpe is getting picked because he plays 5 minutes of back up ruck. That's it. His efforts are poor. It's not good enough.
Our first half. Might be the worst I saw us play all year. Just awful. Fumbles, free players everywhere, looked lost. Was very lucky not to be further behind.
Disagree on the backline. We gave them too many easy goals by fumbling, dropping marks, and then standing around bewildered while they pounced on the ball. Keane was a prime offender here: the conditions led to him dropping his marks and he had no agility to clean up. I do like his disposal though. Borlase was better than last week's dross, but not too good.

I think we are starting to feel the huge deficit in defence we've now accumulated due to the relentless injury situation. I know that there is an endless list of things that can be blamed for two successive small losses, but the parlous defensive situation is at the fore for me.

Disagree on the backline. We gave them too many easy goals by fumbling, dropping marks, and then standing around bewildered while they pounced on the ball. Keane was a prime offender here: the conditions led to him dropping his marks and he had no agility to clean up. I do like his disposal though. Borlase was better than last week's dross, but not too good.

I think we are starting to feel the huge deficit in defence we've now accumulated due to the relentless injury situation. I know that there is an endless list of things that can be blamed for two successive small losses, but the parlous defensive situation is at the fore for me.
You are probably right on the backlines.
But I'm starting from very low expectations given who we have available. Given the inexperience and how the rest of the team were playing, I thought we did well not to be 20 goals down.

You are probably right on the backlines.
But I'm starting from very low expectations given who we have available. Given the inexperience and how the rest of the team were playing, I thought we did well not to be 20 goals down.

Im not sure putting our best forwards and midfielders in defence was one of Nicks finest performances in this game either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney is going to challenge the 2 game ban given to Tom McCartin for his bump on Shane McAdam

There's a video in the link - graded careless, high impact, high contact

Thoughts?

Sydney is going to challenge the 2 game ban given to Tom McCartin for his bump on Shane McAdam

There's a video in the link - graded careless, high impact, high contact

Thoughts?

He deserved at least 3. They should think themself lucky he got 2. McAdam's bump to the chest earlier this year resulted in no injury and he got 3. Based on that alone McCartin deserved 4 but 3 is where it should have landed.

Last edited:

Good:
Max M was solid as usual

Bad:

Ugly:
Slowne being picked.
Slowne's performance.
Slowne injured (again).
ROB. Zero marks.
It feels like, especially on defending kick ins we defend like how we play those scenarios. We're prepared for long down the line, so throw an extra at that contest. That leaves massive holes around the ground which a team with good foot skills down back (like a Nick Blakey) can take massive advantage of with a few short kicks. Then once one player is out of position, the guy ahead has to move out of position to try and stop the first guy, which then flows down the field and before you know it it's in the oppositions forward half and they've got the numbers down there.

He deserved at least 3. They should think themself lucky he got 2. McAdam's bump to the chest earlier this year resulted in no injury and he got 3. Based on that alone McCartin deserved 4 but 3 is where it should have landed.
Can they upgrade it if they challenge it? Or the only outcome is the ruling stands or it's reduced it can't be increased

Last night was the first game I have been able to attend this season - I was at the time and still am absolutely gobsmacked at how lame the crowd were in what was an elimination.

do we even have a cheer squad?

hate to say it but from appearances the little brother down the road have it all over us on game day if last night was the norm.
The crowd was buzzing in the 4th quarter, not much to cheer before that!

For some reason I thought McAdam did get 4 .. anyway .. MRO = chook lotto

Now Melira is starting to gain full fitness. Would love to see him be given a go in the mid. He has a great side step and rarely gets tackled and is elite by foot.
Cant believe Wayne is still only 25.. it feels like he’s been on our list a decade and a half and he should be closer to 32..

he should be right on the cusp of hitting career peak.. which is normally around 26-29 for an AFL player..

I agree.. get another big preseason into him under burgess and then chuck him in the middle for a few CB’s a game..

he’s one of the hardest players to lay a tackle on in traffic I’ve seen play the game..

He may not have the tank yet, but your comment about second half touches is factually wrong.

Factually incorrect? In his last 10 games (excluding this one where he came on as sub and only played the second half) he has only twice had more touches in the second half than he did in the first half - and he averaged 4.8

In rounds 16-19 - just before his break he had 29 first half possessions against 14 second half (averaging 3.5 in the second half). He did have a good round 20 - 4 first v 8 second half touches but I wouldn’t say my comments.

4 games this year he has had more touches in a second half than he did in the first.

Even early in the year in games we played well in
1 touch last quarter of first showdown
2 touches after quarter time against Carlton

Unquestionably a lot quieter second half of games than first half over the season

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Factually incorrect? In his last 10 games (excluding this one where he came on as sub and only played the second half) he has only twice had more touches in the second half than he did in the first half - and he averaged 4.8

In rounds 16-19 - just before his break he had 29 first half possessions against 14 second half (averaging 3.5 in the second half). He did have a good round 20 - 4 first v 8 second half touches but I wouldn’t say my comments.

4 games this year he has had more touches in a second half than he did in the first.

Even early in the year in games we played well in
1 touch last quarter of first showdown
2 touches after quarter time against Carlton

Unquestionably a lot quieter second half of games than first half over the season

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yeah my bad, I should have had a deeper look.

5-5 vs Brisbane.
4-8 vs Port.

But then it's pretty noticeable.

Back