Autopsy Bulldogs 103 - Carlton 100. A win, but a loss at the same time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Won the game.
How is it a loss at the same time? Change the thread title. Mod, you actively contribute to the negative vibe on this board, and it's no wonder it's in the toilet.
Absolutely agree, what the frig you thinking with that as a title, Carltons list is better then what they ladder suggests. with a better coach they would have won and extra three games, feel the thread maker this time is disappointing.

Lack of composure to let them back in twice was bad, but we won and that's an improvement over getting thrashed by them a few weeks ago.

Can't believe how I felt like I was having a heart attack over whether we beat the bottom side :p Must be the slab I have going with MD over whether we finish bottom 4. Hopefully he has forgotten about it :cool:
Still think we’ll finish bottom 4 after tonight

Not sure they are this year. Another year on no training and 5 other teams improving. Would like to beat them whilst they are ..... the salary cap.

Back to the Dogs. My thoughts prior to the JLT are well a little embarrassing MD.

Post JLT much more accurate.

Still think we are not that far off finals. The only difference in some ways between yours and my opionins is yes coaching needs reviewing but is there any danger our draft and trading actually work together for a stronger list

I do think we can improve quickly(not as much as some I don’t see a contending side in this squad but maybe low finals) but it isn’t happening without a coaching re jig

Miniscus, out for a month according to ch 7

AFL website had jarred knee. however a miniscal tear is nowhere near as bad as a damaged ligament. Hopefully its not bad

How on earth could anyone believe Gardner offers more than Lewis Young or Schache or Fletcher?
We continue to have a truly bizarre attitude to key position talls - it’s mind boggling.

I honestly can’t watch this crap
The season has been done for weeks - why wouldn’t you play Lewis Young and Schache for the rest of the year? Instead we insult everyone including Gardner by promoting him above everyone - a disgusting farce.

Worst moment of the match was when Carlton got a run on again in the last quarter and we responded by putting McLean into the middle.

I do think we can improve quickly(not as much as some I don’t see a contending side in this squad but maybe low finals) but it isn’t happening without a coaching re jig
We are on the same page re Dalrymple.

How on earth have we regressed the list since 2016? We may differ on Stringer but seriously other than him the talent and depth the the group has dropped dramatically.

A coaching re jig that may work immediately is put the assistant's back to where they were actually doint well.

An independent review of all of our football department is now an imperative

Frustrating game to watch, but always happy to get a win.

Totally disagree with all the criticism aimed at Cordy.
Week after week he has to sacrifice his responsibility for his direct opponent to provide additional coverage for his team mates. He was also pretty unlucky with some horrible umpiring decisions tonight.

Great effort from Dunkley, good to see Lipinski step up, and Tim English continue his development.

The class of Bont and Suckling shone through when needed.

Unfortunately, our kicking for goal still wastes so much of our good work and keeps our opponents in the game.

Caleb Daniel consistently gifting goal delivering turnovers was also a serious problem again.

Gardner's effort was unacceptable tonight. Hard to believe someone who has fought so hard to finally get a shot at this level, could deliver that sort of performance.

Fingers crossed that Libba's injury is minor and he gets back quickly.

Go Dogs.

Baileys Dale has become bad fro the brand. From now on he is going to be known as Drops on the Rocks Dale.

Third man up now 6-6-6 rule. I get the distinct impression much of the perceptive exploits of the game that Bevo had discovered through his own wisdom and those around him over the years, are simply no longer applicable or outright banned. And he is struggling with that.

We won, great, but very disappointing to have allowed a 6 goal lead twice to get pegged back. Our inconsistency is still there, poor opponent meant we won, thanks to time running out, anyone else and we lose.

Maybe a win, no matter how messy, is enough to lift some spirits and we actually improve despite the nature of the win. Or maybe the blues go on to roll a few more in their next matches and are not as bad as they were and are actually a middle of the road team now. who knowns. What i do know however is that i saw the exact same mistakes, the exact same repeat failing setups and the exact same sudden loss of care factor as i have in prior games. Lucky for us today that Carlton have those same issues, or we would have been toast.

[QUOTE="Proffessor, post: 61391208, member

Caleb Daniel consistently gifting goal delivering turnovers was also a serious problem again.

Go Dogs.[/QUOTE]
Yep but dont question it as statistics show something different.

Daniel is a competent player. Higher up the field he could become very good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should’ve buried them mate, come on
Of course we should have so a better side like Collingwood took a while to shake them off, does that mean they should class it as a loss. come on!
we beat a side with having no tall forward and an undersize slow backline against a side that had a forward kicking 7 is still ok in my opinion for where our list is at the moment. Put a player like Hawkings, Darling or Charlie in our forwardline and we win way more then we loose.

The coaching staff remain as deluded as ever. There is no balance in the team and the moves mid game are pathetic. You have to question what they think about all week. Bevo would say Trengove was a win but playing him as second ruck would have allowed English to play forward. Whoever controlled the centre clearance kicked goals and quickly. Libba was a massive loss. Dunks, Macrae and suckers dug extra deep.

Eash week the team is carried by the same half a dozen players or so. These guys are the real leaders. They should be demanding the other players step up or get out. No more Mr Nice Guys.

Although he played very well tonight for extended periods of the game, Im not convinced that English at this stage of his career would be all that effective as a full time forward. He's not going to get the mis-matches up forward like he did tonight when playing with a kpd stationed next to him all night.

In my view, we dont have much choice but to keep using him in the role that he is being used. Its just clear that he needs a big body to give him some relief, but realistically other than moving Trengove out of defence and creating a massive black hole down there I just dont see an obvious solution. Perhaps Gardner to fb but his exposed form isn't all that encouraging and he actually looks slower than Trengove ou there. What is clear about Gardner from tonight is that he is not the answer to this conundrum of the 2nd ruck. Tom Boyd would've been an ideal pairing for this stage in English's career and no doubt how the club set itself up going into the season but that didn't pan out and its costing English and the team as a whole.

English is 203 cm good on the lead and a good kick. He will attract plenty of attention. That should help the second forward, Naughton for example get one on one.

And he can still ruck a bit.

Problem is that Trengove is our only tall defender, although have no idea why 197 cm Lewis Young is not given a go.

Disappointed on where this club is going. I thought we’d be back in the 8 this season and I’m stunned it hasn’t happened. The list is good enough but is the coach the right fit?

God that was awful.

Good
- Lipinski was very good and I think will make a solid long term player
- Dunkley was awesome
- English was pretty good, although Kreuzer got on top for a while.l
- Suckling had some great moments and deserves respect

Bad
- Dale seriously was terrible
- So was Williams
- And Gardner
- WTF was Daniel doing?! Four goals from ridiculous turnovers
- Cordy got pumped. Not all his fault but killled

Not as down as some others. Some clubs you just struggle to match up on and Carlton are one for us, much like we have been for Richmond in recent years.

Terrible in some ways but as Bont, Dunkley, McLean, Macrae, English, Naughton, Lipinski, Richards etc get more games as a unit they’ll gel more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back