Autopsy Rd 13 Blues double comeback just falls short in a thriller

Who played well for the Blues in Round 13?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are people comparing SOS to Murphys game? If SOS deserves a call up, then surely he would replace Gibbons (11 disposals) or Dow (9) disposals. We had 8 players with 12 disposals or less, very hard to win games of football with not enough players contributing.

SOS plays a HF/MID role, he can easily replace Gibbons or Dow.
. Jack replace mcgovers, over priced and over played.

We have Kerr, Jones, Goddard and soon TDK all pushing for Key positions roles. Have no idea what they are going to do. Nice to have options

The Casboult form as a defender has really changed things

Casboult is an interesting one considering his and Jones age I would be surprised if and most likely Cas wasn't traded at the end of the year. Could get a decent pick back based on his form.

With Weitering, Marchbank and Jones. Goddard as another young development option we can't fit them all.

After watching the replay how the heck did we get within 3 points with such a poor midfield contribution?
Thats a great question soap. We lost the midfield but killed them around the ground. It makes one salivate because this midfield is coming together slowly. Teaugue has tried some ideas and variety and I love it.
Speaking of midfielders it was Murph that got us going with his uncanny extra sensory ability and use of angles.
We need a quality ruckman more than anything. Kreuze is a massive ruck rover.
And Cripps needs to be brainwashed into never ever going backwards or sideways. Play him on the back of the square and we win the flag.

Was thinking either Kerr or Jack back in for McGovern if they decide to drop him.

Will be interesting to see what they do with McGovern.

I want JSOS to play midfield, ridiculous he does it at VFL and dominates then plays forward pocket in the AFL :/.

Kerr for McGovern and JSOS for Murphy or Setterfield would be my changes

Casboult being an unrestricted free agent makes things interesting. Can leave for any amount, surely the club would have to offer enough that if he were to leave, we'd get some sort of compensation pick.

Suckl

Suckling v O'brien
Obrien out on the full
Suckling lifts his side
Suckling is a premiership player
If you want your side to go where suckling has been, O'brien needs to become Suckling.
Rubbish, O'brien will become O'brien.

D

I know where Dow is. 2 years of positive reinforcement of coach killing errors. Is that how you improve. You believe in stroking players, I believe in tough love. What did Barrassi say? Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. Dow makes the same disposal errors every week. Back to the reserves, train, improve, fight for your spot, get reselected and perform
You don't think they practice harder today than the 60's? Looking forward to your negative comments about the bye next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suppose everything is open to debate. Imo, last night Murph had very little impact in the first half, when we were crying out for our senior players - in fact, any players tbf - to impose themselves. He had just four possessions to halftime, although admittedly one of them was a much needed goal. During that first half, I believe that JSOS’s superior ability to impose himself physically, and to make his opponents accountable, would have been priceless for us as we tried to gain a foothold in the game.

In the second half, tbh I think it’s difficult to assess Murph’s true impact. Certainly, his stats improved very significantly, and there’s no doubt that he participated in some excellent chains of attacking footy. However, was he really one of the key drivers of our two positive shifts in momentum, or more a beneficiary of those shifts, which had largely been driven by others? Personally, I’d argue the latter, but I get that others might see it differently. Imo, Murph still possesses enough skill and flair to look good and be effective when we’re playing well, but is less well equipped to get us to the point of playing well in the first place, and tbh it’s the latter attribute that I most look for in our senior players and nominal leaders.

Murphy played forward in the first half, just the way so many here have been wanting (and I have been one of those, at different times). But we got smashed in the middle, and when that happens, small forwards will starve, no matter who they are.

At half-time, he went into the middle, and he made a material difference. Not with size or strength, or even skill. Just smarts, and experience. He knows where the ruckmen will tap it, he finds the pill, and he also finds teammates in support. Too many of the young guys just don't have this skillset yet. Even in his first game back after broken ribs, I thought he demonstrated that right now, Carlton's best side has Murphy in the middle. Nobody has to be happy about that (I'm not thrilled about it either), but in mid-2019, it's the truth.

Our own terrible first quarter and some crazy decisions cost us a W

Loving Cunners, Lochie O and Setters

And to the rest of the league: we have Charlie and you don’t!!
DC's front and centre in the final quarter was elite

Do they send him away this week for a training rest due to the bye ... or do they suggest a two-week hard training block?

He was nowhere last night.
Not sure tbh, depends what role he is playing for the team.
Is his role a sacrificial type role to allow space for Charlie & Harry.

Could he swing to CHB to find the ball a bit more and see if Casboult can have an impact forward now he has found some confidence....

I would be inclined to leave Casboult settled and give McGovern some time in the 2’s to find form just like Adelaide did with Jenkins if he isn’t performing his role for the team.

Hard to say what his role is, guess the coaching staff will take the appropriate action.

Wait until he gets fitter and stronger. Not kicking as long or penetrating because of fatigue. Positive is he is covering the ground now and wants the ball.

He wants the ball.
This is the big turning point in his game in the last fortnight.
Don’t know what the hell he was being instructed to do previously but he was running to some terrible places.
The lad can football ... if we let him

3 losses by under a kick.

When we get going.....crikey!!

Just gotta do it better for longer, talent is obvious.
I'm convinved we're on the right track. Our best is so very good

Suckl

Suckling v O'brien
Obrien out on the full
Suckling lifts his side
Suckling is a premiership player
If you want your side to go where suckling has been, O'brien needs to become Suckling.

Suckling v O'Brien
O'Brien 20ish and 30 odd games
Suckling 31 and 170 odd games

If you want OUR side to go where Suckling has been, Obrien needs to keep improving, and that will continue with time, games and experience.

It’s like you conveniently just paid attention to Murphy’s first half and ignored his 2nd half.

Murph was coming back from over a month off, when he got going he was really good in the 2nd half.

No way JSOS offers more than murph, if JSOS had a game like murph last night you’d be raving about him being instrumental in our comeback.
Murph was nothing short of sensational in the second half. Everyone needs to watch again. CC our best second half player last night. Murph second best.

Get a grip everyone.

Back