• Clarko and the Hawks should impose their own penalty

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stratton should be suspended by the MRP

Votes: 50 89.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, he just publicly humiliated a 13 year old girl.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Who had just called him an APE FFS. And I might add, he pointed at her general direction before he made the connection that this was a child. The look of horror on his face as the realisation that she was a child said it all. He expected it from an adult.... I guess he was more hopeful that the next generation would know better.

That is a fair point. She should know that making such a comment is incorrect. And I am sure her parents instilled this into her and never used such language in front of her. Nor did any other grown ups she has contact with.

However, should a professional athlete point such an person out and publicly humiliate them?

I never understood why it was said he was booed due to his race or calling out racism. Eddie has called out comments made to him on Twitter and we chant his name every game.
Nicky Winmar is considered a legend of the game and he publicly called out racism.

The difference is these guys did not single out a kid and make them the poster child for racism.

If it was an overage idiot hurling such abuse, go for it. But not a kid.

A follow up on the girl would be a good story to see how it affected her.

The difference is, Goodes held a mirror up and many people didn't like what they saw. So they booed louder. I remember someone saying once "Why can't he just be like Andrew McLeod"? What they meant was, why can't he just be quiet?

Who had just called him an APE FFS. And I might add, he pointed at her general direction before he made the connection that this was a child. The look of horror on his face as the realisation that she was a child said it all. He expected it from an adult.... I guess he was more hopeful that the next generation would know better.
The name she called him is completely unacceptable.

And yes he probably thought she was older and possibly realised it was a mistake. The look of horror may have been knowing he just called out a kid. A grown man doing so is not gonna be a good look. He made her the face of racism. A kid.

He did the right thing. But the kid was the wrong target.

I have no doubt he faced racism in his career. Especially growing up. I know personally how much crap Phil, Ricky and Michael O'Laughlin copped as kids.

But logically him being booed had more to do with exposing a 13 year old girl than the colour of his skin. I can guarantee you if it it was loutish looking mid 20s guy with a beer in hand that he called out no one would have booed him.

Well apart from the times he went knees first into a contest.

The name she called him is completely unacceptable.

And yes he probably thought she was older and possibly realised it was a mistake.

I have no doubt he faced racism in his career. Especially growing up. I know personally how much crap Phil, Ricky and Michael O'Laughlin copped as kids.

But logically him being booed had more to do with exposing a 13 year old girl than the colour of his skin. I can guarantee you if it it was loutish looking mid 20s guy with a beer in hand that he called out no one would have booed him.

Well apart from the times he went ines first into a contest.

That's not logic AT ALL.

He even said that she shouldn't be hounded. The very next day he said: "Just received a phone call from a young girl apologizing for her actions. Lets support her please #racismitstopswithme #IndigenousRound."

Yet the booing intensified.

People used it as an excuse to boo. "I'm not racist but.... I'm going to boo him because he called out a 13 year old racist girl".

That's not logic AT ALL.

He even said that she shouldn't be hounded. The very next day he said: "Just received a phone call from a young girl apologizing for her actions. Lets support her please #racismitstopswithme #IndigenousRound."

Yet the booing intensified.

People used it as an excuse to boo. "I'm not racist but.... I'm going to boo him because he called out a 13 year old racist girl".
Why was Ablett booed?

Why do we boo Lever?

Is it racist if we boo Cameron?

These guys are all booed because of something they did.

I understand the boo was because Goodes called out racism. But was it because he called out the act, or because he picked on a lil girl?

Yeah, the whole she was just a kid thing pisses me off. My son - who is half subcontinental and looks like a tanned white aussie - was called a "black monkey" when he was only 8 years old by one of his "mates" who was also 8 years old. The same child also called him a "*". While I didn't call out the child, or parents on the racial abuse of my son, I refuse to condone his language on the basis that he was a child. No doubt he heard that language/ attitude from his parents which is unfortunate but it is still completely unacceptable. I remember sitting in my room with tears in my eyes that in this day and age, an 8 year old child can be racially vilified by school mates. I thought my kids would be ok because they look "white" but because the kid knew of his subcontinental background he still copped it.

Yeah, the whole she was just a kid thing pisses me off. My son - who is half subcontinental and looks like a tanned white aussie - was called a "black monkey" when he was only 8 years old by one of his "mates" who was also 8 years old. The same child also called him a "******". While I didn't call out the child, or parents on the racial abuse of my son, I refuse to condone his language on the basis that he was a child. No doubt he heard that language/ attitude from his parents which is unfortunate but it is still completely unacceptable. I remember sitting in my room with tears in my eyes that in this day and age, an 8 year old child can be racially vilified by school mates. I thought my kids would be ok because they look "white" but because the kid knew of his subcontinental background he still copped it.
Why didnt you call it out?

Why was Ablett booed?

Why do we boo Lever?

Is it racist if we boo Cameron?

These guys are all booed because of something they did.

I understand the boo was because Goodes called out racism. But was it because he called out the act, or because he picked on a lil girl?

And yet we still have some supporters still booing Dangerfield FFS nearly 5 years later.

For some it is in their DNA.

Hypothetical question.

Would Eddie have been booed if he called out the woman who threw a banana at him?

I don’t think so.

I hold Goodes in the same disdain as Bono - preachy and pretentious. There have been many indigenous stars racially vilified (including Eddie) who haven’t carried on like Goodes has.

Hypothetical question.

Would Eddie have been booed if he called out the woman who threw a banana at him?

Yeah he would have had if he did it on the field.

People are still dumb enough to do those acts so of course some sections of the crowd would have been threatened by his actions.

Let's not pretend the dregs of society are more capable then what they are.

Yeah, the whole she was just a kid thing pisses me off. My son - who is half subcontinental and looks like a tanned white aussie - was called a "black monkey" when he was only 8 years old by one of his "mates" who was also 8 years old. The same child also called him a "******". While I didn't call out the child, or parents on the racial abuse of my son, I refuse to condone his language on the basis that he was a child. No doubt he heard that language/ attitude from his parents which is unfortunate but it is still completely unacceptable. I remember sitting in my room with tears in my eyes that in this day and age, an 8 year old child can be racially vilified by school mates. I thought my kids would be ok because they look "white" but because the kid knew of his subcontinental background he still copped it.

Should have called them a Honky!:):)

Why didnt you call it out?

I don't know. I got angry, then incredibly upset for my son. We talked him through it. I didn't hear him say it so I guess my only "proof" was my sons word. It didn't really cross my mind to talk to his parents. I've never been one of those parents I guess - I try to work with my son to give him the tools to try and manage the situations himself. Another racist comment was made at school along the lines of "go back to where you belong" (this comment was repeated by another boy who was just kind of going along with the "joke") On that occasion I went to the school. They followed it up. The mother of the second boy who is a good mate of my sons and the mother is a friend of mine called me immediately to apologise and talk it through and the boy sent my son a card to apologise. I heard nothing from the parents of the boy who made the comments, which probably says a lot about the respective families.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah he would have had if he did it on the field.

People are still dumb enough to do those acts so of course some sections of the crowd would have been threatened by his actions.

Let's not pretend the dregs of society are more capable then what they are.
I dont think he would have.

Most people are sympathetic to the girl. Few have been negative towards her.

The banana thrower has had memes created about her and, rightfully so, ridiculed and harassed.

Eddie would have been applauded for highlighting it as the banana thrower is a more acceptable face of racism.

What Goodes did was in its simplest sense was pick on a lil girl. A bet most morons who did boo did so because of this. Not because he is black.

I am not defending the booers. I personally think it is the lowest form of crowd interaction and used to crigne when our club actively encouraged it for set shots at goal.

But I think the accepted narrative of Goodes doing nothing wrong, blame is on both sides, is incorrect.

I don’t think so.

I hold Goodes in the same disdain as Bono - preachy and pretentious. There have been many indigenous stars racially vilified (including Eddie) who haven’t carried on like Goodes has.
And it STILL happens. Goodes was trying to open people's eyes to it to make it stop. I'm telling you, it's because Goodes held a mirror up and he made a noise. That's what people don't like. It makes them uncomfortable. Yes, preachy. Absolutely. Not pretentious.

The booing was going on well before the 13 year old girl business.

It started after he was made Australian of the Year, and said some things that made people feel uncomfortable.

Accept correlation =/= causation, but it's hard not to draw a direct link between his comments at the Australian of the Year Ceremony and the commencement of booing.

The most remarkable thing about this situation is my son was born in Australia, lived here all his life. The other boy was Irish and had moved to Australia in the last year. Yet his automatic belief was that he "belonged" here more purely because he was "white"
I'm so sad your boy had to go through that. The only way we can stop this from happening is to call it out when it does.

That's what Adam Goodes did. And he was crucified for it. That's what WE should do.

B62_l7xCQAEyCwa.jpg

That we've gotten to a point where Eddie McGuire considers it was racist, the man having among the least introspection in the world, really tells you everything.

If Eddie McGuire of all people is admitting to it being wrong really puts those in the opposite corner as aligning themselves with the true Sam Newman dinosaurs of the world.

And it STILL happens. Goodes was trying to open people's eyes to it to make it stop. I'm telling you, it's because Goodes held a mirror up and he made a noise. That's what people don't like. It makes them uncomfortable. Yes, preachy. Absolutely. Not pretentious.

I don't have a problem with anything he said. Of course the media had to take him out of context to try and make a story out of it. The spear chucking gesture (at the opposition cheer squad) was pretty antagonistic though, and only fuelled the fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back