Scandal Jaidyn Stephenson - Betting on Pies games

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont think it's too relevant how much he bet. I care more of what the winnings would've been. He bet on a multi ffs.

We only know about this as the one leg he couldn't control was a teammate possession count costing him the win.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It doesn’t matter the quantum of how much he bet, the fact is that he did it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

1. He bet on himself and could directly control the outcome.

2. Voluntary would have meant informing the right people on your own accord, Stephenson had to get told to do this from Howe. He certainly didn’t plan on doing this but for Howe telling him to do it.

3. The afl are paying Andrew Dillion and co millions as general council to investigate these matters and concluded Stephenson was remorseful.... we all are remorseful once caught. Cheers dill.

4. 100% correct.

It doesn’t matter the quantum of how much he bet, the fact is that he did it.

That's what I kinda said. If we are going to talk dollars, I care about his potential winnings.

If he stood to win thousands or tens of thousands.

How is this any different to spot-fixing in cricket?

It's a very lenient penalty.

Spot fixing is contiving for a result to happen and betting on that result.Example- bookie or punter pays bowler to bowl no ball third ball second over.Result and winning bet fixed.
Stephenson was gambling .No evidence of fixed outcomes prior to bet .So different

Spot fixing is contiving for a result to happen and betting on that result.Example- bookie or punter pays bowler to bowl no ball third ball second over.Result and winning bet fixed.
Stephenson was gambling .No evidence of fixed outcomes prior to bet .So different
It's still spot fixing. Stephenson just removed the middle man.

He bet on Collingwood to win by a margin and him kicking 3 or more goals. He would've known that during the game and tried his best to get those outcomes.

1. When you put a bet on yourself and can directly influence that result it’s spot fixing, champ.

2. Had placed 3 bets before mentioning it to a team mate. Certainly didn’t voluntarily turn himself in.

3. Afl council has come out and said he was extremely remorseful - of course you are remorseful when you get caught.

4. Any accounts he did have would now be suspended, guaranteed.

Absolutely Stephenson was robbed of a life ban! Right in front of me! Right. In front. Of me!

"Spot-fixing refers to illegal activity in a sport in which a specific aspect of a game, unrelated to the final result but upon which a betting market exists, is fixed in an attempt to ensure a certain result in a proposition bet; examples include something as minor as timing a no ball or wide delivery in cricket, or timing the first throw-in or corner in association football. "

Nah, its still spot-fixing.

Rubbish. He backed himself to kick 3 goals...kicked a torp from 65 for his 3rd late in a game. At almost any other time (bar after the siren) he looks for a short option.

So it is spot fixing as he was playing in such a way as to have his bet paid out and therefore playing to compromise the outcome of a match for his own financial gain.

Grubby.

I'm curious, if people are saying he had been caught and the pies got wind so he came forward before he got charged by the afl.

How did the AFL find out? Makes a bet with a mate, do we assume the mate has let it slip and told someone and word has spread around?
Betting company might have seen his name pop up in a routine search. Went to AFL (asking for $$ as they have details). AFL then went to Stephenson saying they’re investigating his betting tell us what you know/did

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rubbish. He backed himself to kick 3 goals...kicked a torp from 65 for his 3rd late in a game. At almost any other time (bar after the siren) he looks for a short option.

So it is spot fixing as he was playing in such a way as to have his bet paid out and therefore playing to compromise the outcome of a match for his own financial gain.

Grubby.

And he outed himself to team mates by saying a player didnt get as many possessions as he had bet on him getting .
Not spot fixing and I seriously give up on explaining lpgic with this topic.

And he outed himself to team mates by saying a player didnt get as many possessions as he had bet on him getting .
It's still spot fixing. It may not be a serious case of it with betting agencies/bookies in on it, but it still is.

It's like saying Justin Charles didn't drug cheat as it wasn't a sanctioned program at club level, it was just him doing it.

And he made sure he did what he could actually control in the game though, with the three goals he kicked.

Therefore it is spot fixing. End of story.

Whether he outed himself or not is a moot point.

And he made sure he did what he could actually control in the game though, with the three goals he kicked.

Therefore it is spot fixing. End of story.

Whether he outed himself or not is a moot point.
He also didn't out in himself in the way this poster makes it sound. He didn't come clean with it. He slipped up and revealed it.

When did afl find out? Was it May ? And if so why was he not banned then?
He self reported? Didnt he?
I think the AFL would have had to thoroughly check everything, go back to the betting accounts used, question the "friend", look at bank accounts to verify that the amounts stated were in fact true, satisfy themselves that bookies weren't involved, that there was no intimidation or undue influence, and much more.

Not a good move by the young fella. Pretty Bludy stoopid really. Surely the players must be aware of the punishment to previous offenders?

In saying that I think the punishment is manifestly excessive. A small amount betting on his own team.

If he'd bet for the opposition then I can see the merit on throwing the book at players. But FFS, this is ridiculous. The AFL are happy to expose kids & all to gambling, then do this over the top response just looks so so so --- over the top!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back