Scandal Jaidyn Stephenson - Betting on Pies games

Remove this Banner Ad

How on earth does the afl know when someone is punting on the AFL ??
You don't need an account to punt, and obviously you can use another name?
How on earth could you get busted?

How on earth does the afl know when someone is punting on the AFL ??
You don't need an account to punt, and obviously you can use another name?
How on earth could you get busted?
Heath Shaw was caught on camera at the TAB. But that's because they checked due to it being a odd bet.

The Pies' line that he showed courage by owning up is laughable.

He let slip to Howe - he wasn't coming clean. It was a slip up.

Howe then told him to tell Walsh.

In other words, he slipped up and got caught.

He knew it was wrong.

He did it three times.

He bet on his own games.

He got caught by a team mate.

None of his sentence should have been suspended given all of this.

This kid is dumb and lucky.

Hope he learns his lesson.

Im in the camp that doesn’t show a great deal of sympathy for Stephenson- he would have had a bucketload of education around betting. The fact he placed these bets with friends accounts suggests he was well aware of the rules. He did the crime, now he will pay for it.

But I’m also mindful he’s a young bloke that made a mistake. I won’t hold it against him when he comes back. IF the story Sam McLure is reporting about how this came to light is true- then I think all round it’s been handled pretty well from both him and Collingwood. You can’t change the past, but you can change the way you act from your mistakes. It would have been SO easy for them to just sweep it under the carpet.

However, I do believe the AFL has a lot to answer for. How the AFL took a month to announce it, let him play in 3 further games when they basically had a signed confession is just baffling. It makes me think the punishment was very much pre-determined so that he misses the exact amount of weeks, comes back finals week 1. Rather than round 19/20 etc.

I will have faith in Stephenson when he comes back that he has learnt his lesson. I have considerably less faith in the AFL.

C’mon mate where have you been...AFL has been extremely busy with adjudicating on historical premierships.

At times, bordering on a corrupt and incompetent administration. And as always, they treat the fans like idiots.

Last edited:
3 bets on 3 different games, in effect gets a month for each bet. Very, very lucky boy. So, so convenient he can return just in time for finals. Tells Howe in R9 and comes out on the verge of R14....

Did i hear Gil went on MMM this morning, the very show hosted by the Cwood president? The competition is so contrived its beyond a joke. No integrity whatsoever.

I think the AFL would have had to thoroughly check everything, go back to the betting accounts used, question the "friend", look at bank accounts to verify that the amounts stated were in fact true, satisfy themselves that bookies weren't involved, that there was no intimidation or undue influence, and much more.
It takes time and numerous parties to investigate these matters too. Got to get everything right before dishing out a punishment.

Love the assumption Collingwood will play finals too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those still alleging match fixing:

Yeah the AFL also cleared the Essendon players of doping.

Jaidyn should thank his lucky stars there's no international body like WADA to OOGA BOOGA COME IN OVER THE TOP on this AFL fixed "outcome".

Last edited:
Not a good move by the young fella. Pretty Bludy stoopid really. Surely the players must be aware of the punishment to previous offenders?

In saying that I think the punishment is manifestly excessive. A small amount betting on his own team.

If he'd bet for the opposition then I can see the merit on throwing the book at players. But FFS, this is ridiculous. The AFL are happy to expose kids & all to gambling, then do this over the top response just looks so so so --- over the top!!
Whereas I and many others here believe what's ridiculous is that he could still play finals this year.

The entire concept of people betting on themselves is impossible to govern, unless that person is found out. I owned a horse years ago, and the jockey would always slip me money to bet on the horse. I thought that as long as he was betting on the horse to win, it was okay, but found out later he wasn't allowed to be betting at all. Made me feel like some sort of accomplice to a felony. Things is, he never said anything and neither did I, so nobody knew.

I'm sure there are many AFL players who have made bets which nobody will ever know about.

However, anyone who thinks this is a trivial matter and the penalty was far too severe, needs to consider the ramifications of sports people betting on the outcome of games, and where it could lead to. It's not as simple as betting on a team to win, there are points spreads, etc, in which missing a goal may just help that player to win his bet. It is tantamount to match fixing, but it certainly would explain some of the dreadful kicking for goal these days.

Whereas I and many others here believe what's ridiculous is that he could still play finals this year.
Read in the paper today a jumps jockey got caught betting on races he was competing in, was over 3k all up, he even backed other horses, he got 18 months, what Stevo did was well below that, 10 weeks is fine, if finals were in 6 weeks he probably would've got 6 weeks, if he backed Collingwood to lose he'd be looking at the season even with Nana bets, if he laid out serious cash he would probably be banned for life.

Read in the paper today a jumps jockey got caught betting on races he was competing in, was over 3k all up, he even backed other horses, he got 18 months, what Stevo did was well below that, 10 weeks is fine, if finals were in 6 weeks he probably would've got 6 weeks, if he backed Collingwood to lose he'd be looking at the season even with Nana bets, if he laid out serious cash he would probably be banned for life.
If you work for the AFL or one of the clubs, then you do not bet on football. Ever.

I think it should be more of a strict liability: You do it at all, you get a year off.

It is ridiculous that any player or club official would ever think of betting on football. Totally inexcusable.

Stephenson got off lightly.

6 month ban, with a further 18 months suspended, for a bet on a mens game that the female cricketer had nothing to do with.
The AFL is piss weak.

Theoretically it's criminal activity. He's lucky not to be charged by the police. Having said that I think 10 weeks is severe enough for a young guy.
And I reckon they took his age into account too, as they should, can't believe some are calling the penalty soft, it's 10 weeks FFS, not sure what the fine was but he'll miss out on over 30k in match payments, probably misses a bonus for playing a certain amount of games/goal bonuses, so let's say 10 weeks and 60k=70k, that's a bloody big whack if you ask me.

If you work for the AFL or one of the clubs, then you do not bet on football. Ever.

I think it should be more of a strict liability: You do it at all, you get a year off.

It is ridiculous that any player or club official would ever think of betting on football. Totally inexcusable.
Given the size of the bets and the fact he never tried to influence the outcome I reckon 10 weeks and 70k is penalty enough, remember he's just a pup Chief.

And I reckon they took his age into account too, as they should, can't believe some are calling the penalty soft, it's 10 weeks FFS, not sure what the fine was but he'll miss out on over 30k in match payments, probably misses a bonus for playing a certain amount of games/goal bonuses, so let's say 10 weeks and 60k=70k, that's a bloody big whack if you ask me.
It is soft as butter. They will never stop league employees betting on football if this is their response.

Pretty much everything you say here is irrelevant.

It doesn't matter how big or small the bets were. It's ridiculous he will still get to play finals. While his teammates are slogging it out to make sure they get there he can put his feet up and just drop back in come finals time and enjoy one of the things every AFL player dreams of despite being found guilty of doing something there is simply no grey area about. He was absolutely doing the wrong thing and he knew it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back