Non Lions Discussion 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Alistair Lynch just on SEN saying he fears for the future of the Suns without AFL intervention, he mentioned soft cap relief, salary cap expansion, help with the academy and after that is taken care of priority picks.
AFL article saying that they are going to ask for a start of round priority pick (e.g. they get picks 1 and 2)

AFL article saying that they are going to ask for a start of round priority pick (e.g. they get picks 1 and 2)

So they get the pick and then trade for a Lachie Weller level player because no sane ready made gun is willing to join their circus...sounds like a great idea.....or they take the pick to the draft and just add another 18yr old to their list.

So they get the pick and then trade for a Lachie Weller level player because no sane ready made gun is willing to join their circus...sounds like a great idea.....or they take the pick to the draft and just add another 18yr old to their list.

Touted pick 1 and 2 are best mates in Rowell and Anderson, might be the best year to give them 1 in terms of retention.

Touted pick 1 and 2 are best mates in Rowell and Anderson, might be the best year to give them 1 in terms of retention.

The premise Cochrane is making is they need meaningful on-field help and now (not just a state league level player). Another 18yr old is not going to turn this ship around next season, seems they are cherry picking a little here.

Furthermore, letting Lyons walk out for free given their present state is criminal. That alone should knock any effort for an additional pick at the start of the draft on its head.

waste of another two good kids , not sure the answer but its not draft picks they will walk just like this years crop will given $$ from Melbourne clubs

The premise Cochrane is making is they need meaningful on-field help and now (not just a state league level player). Another 18yr old is not going to turn this ship around next season, seems they are cherry picking a little here.

Furthermore, letting Lyon walk out for free given their present state is criminal. That alone should knock any effort for an additional pick at the start of the draft on its head.

They need a big name coach too. Not against the AFL funding a move for someone like Clarkson.

They need a big name coach too. Not against the AFL funding a move for someone like Clarkson.
Dew may be an OK coach but he is very unimpressive in the media and not the sort who can help sell the Suns brand at all.

Last edited:

Fagan, hodge and Clarkson could have weekly reunion coffees at a half way point - IKEA at slacks creek. Recruiting coaches that are friends to the same area might help with retention.

This might be the year to ask for a priority before the first pick. If pick two is already headed to the Crows I reckon a few power brokers in Melbourne might prefer to see Gold Coast get the two young midfielders and knock the Crows back a pick just to stuff them up a little and take a bit of the sting out of Carlton giving up that pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know how much extra cap helps if they have to keep overpaying young players above performance to get them to re-sign, then lose them anyway once they hit their early-mid prime. Yeah it would alleviate some of the issues they've had, but I'm not sure that salary has been a big reason why they haven't been able to retain a lot of players. Broader changes such as 3-4 year initial contracts for draftees would help them far more but the AFL isn't inclined to have that fight with the AFLPA.

To be fair though I probably biased as I am on principle opposed to salary cap concessions unless all four northern clubs get them, and there is no way in hell that will ever happen.

I don't know how much extra cap helps if they have to keep overpaying young players above performance to get them to re-sign, then lose them anyway once they hit their early-mid prime. Yeah it would alleviate some of the issues they've had, but I'm not sure that salary has been a big reason why they haven't been able to retain a lot of players. Broader changes such as 3-4 year initial contracts for draftees would help them far more but the AFL isn't inclined to have that fight with the AFLPA.

To be fair though I probably biased as I am on principle opposed to salary cap concessions unless all four northern clubs get them, and there is no way in hell that will ever happen.

I fully agree with you. How many salary cap concessions do WE have at the moment? And look at us now.

I've said it a million times - working somewhere where you're happy and feel valued is infinity more important than money. As long as there's enough to live on, I'd rather work for less and come home happy every day.

(Of course I can't really talk anymore as I'm finally being paid my worth AND I'm being given opportunities to push my mental health agenda at work and I work with great people)

The only way that get above average ready made players is coin. Salary cap helps with that. Soft cap relief helps with development of existing kids.
Priority pick helps with talent. Also gives them trade currency as later picks not as important to them in the scenario they have two early picks.
Lynch is right need to attack it from a few different angles.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I've always been in favour of some sort of veterans allowance as a bonus for loyalty

Cunnington fined again for striking. When are they going to suspend the thug ?

Can't do that, he might be winning a Brownlow (though I can't see it).

Furthermore, letting Lyons walk out for free given their present state is criminal. That alone should knock any effort for an additional pick at the start of the draft on its head.
Bingo. Letting arguably their best midfielder go for free was just ridiculous. Whoever made that decision should have been fired. an 18 year old wont do s**t. They need experienced guys, someone like a Hodge, leaders for example. Afl should help fund these players extra because obviously l doubt they would want to go there willingly unless over priced.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back