Our next coach

Who should be our next coach?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be gutted if SOS has to make way for the new coach. Don't think it sends the right message, or gives SOS the kudos he deserves for rebuilding the list.

Who knows how it will affect his boys too, who for all we know, could be enormously important parts of our 22 when our window opens (Jack already is).

Just gives me that "messiah coach" feeling all over again.

Think about how 'lucky' we would have to have been, to have had the best coaching candidate just sitting under our noses all the time?
Maybe just a little bit too lucky, right? Why not an assistant from one of the other 17 clubs, some of who have had much more experience than Teague?
Of course players like Teague, as he's there on the spot and all the other possible candidates aren't.

What Judd said was fine/honest and maybe it didn't need to be said, but that's the issue of having a board member in the media. Some hits, some misses.
Really doesn't worry me at all.

It's clear that we need a 'personality' at the club.
That alone isn't good enough a reason to appoint a coach, but one can understand it being a contributing factor.

Should Clarkson have a little conflict of ideas with his own board and decide that the extra money and fresh list makes for a good idea, the executive at the CFC would be doing back-flips. Sponsorship would be boosted. Our profile would be boosted. Membership would get another shot in the arm. Our coaching staff would be bolstered, recruiting players to come to our club is suddenly not so difficult and all of a sudden we're perceived as a serious club, before the ball is bounced in 2020.

If Clarkson did come, I can see SOS going (if he hasn't decided to already go, anyway)
Nothing to back this up but maybe the personality clash would be just too much. Would also free up some of the footy department spend.

Really not sure what you are referring to when using the term "personality" because I've never been enamoured of Clarkson's.

And, on this score, if I can put a vote in for Teague. Seems very approachable, hasn't projected any nastiness, seems refreshingly honest and supportive of his players and is very well spoken. Of course these traits alone don't make a good case for a coach and he hasn't been subjected to much pressure other than the first half of all our matchdays.:)

If you were to substitute "profile" then I would understand better and probably agree that we would like that and it would be beneficial in a coach and Clarkson ticks that off in spades.

Not sure I see a lot of personality in any of the proposed alternate candidates other than, perhaps, Roos and even his is very divisive.

You do seem to propose quite often that SOS isn't capable of "getting on" with many, seems to be a bit of an agenda item of yours.

The way I look at it, we're kinda damned if we do and if we don't.

My take with Ratten / Malthouse - Our list IMO was overrated. Yes Ratten did do rather well with what he had but ultimately it wasn't enough and he was blamed, enter Malthouse. Took an experienced premiership coach that could take us all the way, well that was the plan. Yes he could coach, yes he was proven, but yeh we all know how that turned out.

Was it him alone, was it him not gelling with the list, or just the list alone...?

Since then we've turned over so many players, since then we had a board that searched the land for the right coach who would develop our boys and lead us to success. 4 years later, sacked. The consensus would appear to be both - Wrong Coach, wrong players.

Bias aside, we have a brilliant young list. Talent is there, albeit in spurts but consistency is growing and growing.

They know we're coming...

Teague is doing well no doubt, It looks to me that he has pushed aside the monotonous shackles of development and is simply getting the boys to play, play at their strengths and follow direction. No fancy intricate gameplan, just go out, play hard and fast. It's a big improvement. But would he still be doing this with the pressure of being the fulltime coach? Would he still make the same moves? JSOS on Fyffe etc?

Bolton was chosen, yet how many moves did he make? Ratten was stubborn too, Malthouse, need I say more.

I like what Teague has done, but I just wonder if the gig was his full time. Would he be the same? Therefore, is an experienced coach where it really is at, especially considering the pedigree of our boys now? BTW Clarkson would be the only other coach that I'd consider.

Really not sure what you are referring to when using the term "personality" because I've never been enamoured of Clarkson's.

And, on this score, if I can put a vote in for Teague. Seems very approachable, hasn't projected any nastiness, seems refreshingly honest and supportive of his players and is very well spoken. Of course these traits alone don't make a good case for a coach and he hasn't been subjected to much pressure other than the first half of all our matchdays.:)

If you were to substitute "profile" then I would understand better and probably agree that we would like that and it would be beneficial in a coach and Clarkson ticks that off in spades.

Not sure I see a lot of personality in any of the proposed alternate candidates other than, perhaps, Roos and even his is very divisive.

You do seem to propose quite often that SOS isn't capable of "getting on" with many, seems to be a bit of an agenda item of yours.

Whether we like it or not, Clarkson is a somebody. He's respected, recognisable and has genuine runs on the board.........Teague has none of this yet.
This club needs its profile lifted and Teague simply cannot do this for us.

I'd be very happy with Clarkson for all the aforementioned reason, but I do worry that if he doesn't come, we may be seduced into Roos coming to the club, in whichever capacity he chooses. It's a personal view but I don't like nor have any confidence in what Roos may do to and for our club, even if not the main coach. Just don't like the taste of it at all.

SOS? I like what SOS has done in the main, but also dislike a few things that have come about through his tenure.
As far as other matters re SOS go, what I have put forward has been the case. Not sure there's any agenda involved at all.

Whether we like it or not, Clarkson is a somebody. He's respected, recognisable and has genuine runs on the board.........Teague has none of this yet.

I'd be very happy with Clarkson for all the aforementioned reason, but I do worry that if he doesn't come, we may be seduced into Roos coming to the club, in whichever capacity he chooses. It's a personal view but I don't like nor have any confidence in what Roos may do to and for our club, even if not the main coach. Just don't like the taste of it at all.

SOS? I like what SOS has done in the main, but also dislike a few things that have come about through his tenure.
As far as other matters re SOS go, what I have put forward has been the case. Not sure there's any agenda involved at all.

I share your thoughts on Roos, I would prefer he stays right away from our club.

And I respect to a degree your point of view on SOS, I also have some misgivings on the totality of our rebuild but would prefer him to see it through the next phase.

As for Clarkson, I agree that his appointment would give us a profile boost that the appointment of Teague probably wouldn't but I also think, if this team develops as we all hope it will, then our future profile will be more as a result of the team than the coach. I think, for example, that Geelong's profile has far more to do with the team than the coach, same can be said of West Coast.

I share your thoughts on Roos, I would prefer he stays right away from our club.

And I respect to a degree your point of view on SOS, I also have some misgivings on the totality of our rebuild but would prefer him to see it through the next phase.

As for Clarkson, I agree that his appointment would give us a profile boost that the appointment of Teague probably wouldn't but I also think, if this team develops as we all hope it will, then our future profile will be more as a result of the team than the coach. I think, for example, that Geelong's profile has far more to do with the team than the coach, same can be said of West Coast.

This x 1000
You’re telling me bomber Thompson would be a premiership coach if he wasn’t at the cats with that list?
Also would Clarko be a premiership coach if he ended up at Carlton or Gold Coast as a first time coach in 2012?
Like formula 1 it’s all about the car under your seat first and foremost.

Said it many times over and it's not all about SOS, but for some aspects of the List Management that haven't been well handled -

1. Targeting players and brokering deals - SOS has been terrific.
2. Managing the TPP - Hard to say with absolute surety, but if we have money to burn now, he would have done a great job.
3. Contracting the young players early - Has done a terrific job.

4. Our approach to mature aged players and rookie pick-ups - Terrible, but this can be fixed if the baker bakes the bread.

SOS is who he is and likes to have a strong arm at the club.
He does have his 'likers' and does have some that aren't quite as enamoured by him.

Some of the talk that has circulated around him, hasn't just been made up for the fun of it but that doesn't mean to say things can't be worked through.

This x 1000
You’re telling me bomber Thompson would be a premiership coach if he wasn’t at the cats with that list?
Also would Clarko be a premiership coach if he ended up at Carlton or Gold Coast as a first time coach in 2012?
Like formula 1 it’s all about the car under your seat first and foremost.

But a Ferrari will always be seen to be a Ferrari.

Surely one can't argue about what a Calrkson coup would do for the club. Forget the on-field for now.
Liddle would be thrilled for the fillip it would give to the club as a whole...........Teague? Not so much.

But a Ferrari will always be seen to be a Ferrari.

Surely one can't argue about what a Calrkson coup would do for the club. Forget the on-field for now.
Liddle would be thrilled for the fillip it would give to the club as a whole...........Teague? Not so much.

Mick Malthouse was a fillip too. Doesn’t mean it’s always right. One thing should be considered only, can the coach work with our players in the year 2020 and get the best out of them.
Patrick Cripps and Charlie Curnow put bums on seats and scores on the board not the bloke in the coaches box who’s sole job it is to make sure they put scores on the board and bums on seats. Just because a coach has a name doesn’t mean he can make our players perform, Malthouse and Pagan perfect examples.

4. Our approach to mature aged players and rookie pick-ups - Terrible, but this can be fixed if the baker bakes the bread.

This was terrible in 2017 no doubt, absolutely terrible. But I think it would be very harsh to view it as terrible overall.

Given how hard it is to find these players (for all the stars across the League, there are a hell of a lot that don’t make it), I’m pretty happy with Goddard, Gibbons, Cottrell, De Luca and Owies (5/6 of our current rookie list).

Mick Malthouse was a fillip too. Doesn’t mean it’s always right. One thing should be considered only, can the coach work with our players in the year 2020 and get the best out of them.
Patrick Cripps and Charlie Curnow put bums on seats and scores on the board not the bloke in the coaches box who’s sole job it is to make sure they put scores on the board and bums on seats. Just because a coach has a name doesn’t mean he can make our players perform, Malthouse and Pagan perfect examples.

But it could make a difference for which players want to join us during the off-season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was terrible in 2017 no doubt, absolutely terrible. But I think it would be very harsh to view it as terrible overall.

Given how hard it is to find these players (for all the stars across the League, there are a hell of a lot that don’t make it), I’m pretty happy with Goddard, Gibbons, Cottrell, De Luca and Owies (5/6 of our current rookie list).

Look where it's made any sense at all - Last year only and even then....Bugg?
Gibbons & Cottrell were relative 'after-thoughts' and we had first dibs at Deluca, having been last on the ladder....Lucky us.

We're happy with Goddard but we'll have to see whether he was the right type, as for good as he may yet be, it may be being good in the NB's for lack of opportunity and if Macreaide does come on as we expect him to, he's going to be even further back in the pecking order.

There is no doubt that coach's ability to connect with players is more important than ever, and on this font it appears Teague gets a massive tick.

But equally, there would be lots of other variables that need to be considered, such as ability to handle stress (finals, injury crisis, managing a large team, etc), ability to reflect on and leverage among the players one's amazing record in finals (imagine Voss pumping up the players before a final, providing the wisdom from his amazing experience winning three flags), ability to help lure big names to the club (rightly or wrongly, I imagine a Coniglio would probably be more likely to come over if Clarkson was coach).

So what Judd said has more than a kernel of logic and sense. But equally, he and the club would be negligible if they overlooked the value of the connection Teague seems to have developed with the players.

I honestly don’t get all the hype over experienced coaches.

If it’s Clarkson fair enough but I reckon that’s a 0% chance of happening.

The other options simply aren’t that great. Voss was crap at Brisbane. Total revionist history going on with him. Being a champion player doesn’t mean you’ll end up a champion coach. Scott’s record at North is ordinary too.

The way I see it I’d rather a fresh new coach than someone who has already coached and been sacked and already has a way they want to coach a football team.

The only coach that has been sacked and I’d consider is Ratten but that doesn’t seem feasible. Again no guarantee he suddenly is a master coach.

All the top 8 teams have first time coaches. Just because Bolton doesn’t work out doesn’t mean we should just cross off inexperienced coaches. If they were to go down that path it would be someone from the AFL system with a playing career. The way I see it I prefer someone with fresh ideas and who won’t walk in wanting to turf all these players.

I’m probably scarred somewhat by what happened with Malthouse.

Would be crazy mad to not involve Walls at some point in the process given that he is a successful coach and working in some capacity with the current coaches. I personally think he should have been an official member of the panel from the start.
We have a unique opportunity to involve a modern day player who is close to the club, had two years "out of the game" and first hand knowledge of our recent coaching staff from dare I say it, a 360 degree view, well not quite not seen from the board's perspective of being SEEN to do the right thing by all factions.

That being our skipper and game day coaching panel member Sam Docherty.

Stuff the corporate mumbo jumbo, egos, profiles etc. the single most important factor is to employ a coach who can or will get peak performance from our playing group. The oldies on this board like myself have little understanding of the optimum motivational strategy for today's players. We can hypothesise all we like. Doc has an intricate knowledge, a great footy brain, a profound love of the club and one would assume, inside information and observation on the reactions verbally and performance wise to a variety methods.

The selection committee need to utilise a great resource from within. They need to remove their own egos to find the best candidate for the club, not a big fish or monumental coup.

I honestly don’t get all the hype over experienced coaches.

If it’s Clarkson fair enough but I reckon that’s a 0% chance of happening.

The other options simply aren’t that great. Voss was crap at Brisbane. Total revionist history going on with him. Being a champion player doesn’t mean you’ll end up a champion coach. Scott’s record at North is ordinary too.

The way I see it I’d rather a fresh new coach than someone who has already coached and been sacked and already has a way they want to coach a football team.

The only coach that has been sacked and I’d consider is Ratten but that doesn’t seem feasible. Again no guarantee he suddenly is a master coach.

All the top 8 teams have first time coaches. Just because Bolton doesn’t work out doesn’t mean we should just cross off inexperienced coaches. If they were to go down that path it would be someone from the AFL system with a playing career. The way I see it I prefer someone with fresh ideas and who won’t walk in wanting to turf all these players.

I’m probably scarred somewhat by what happened with Malthouse.

Everyone starts somewhere, but given we've just come off a newbie, we're highly unlikely to go down that path again. Just can't see it.

Coaching as we know, isn't solely about tending to the training regime of a squad of players.....one has to be able to delegate with authority, have runs on the board for being a good person-manager, has to know how to conduct him/herself across all football departments and to some degree....has to be a good politician and be able to hold ones nerve in testing times.

We allowed Bolton to take on way too much from the beginning. He was virtually given the keys to drive our club. Too hard.
The next coach, be it a senior coach, will also be likely to be given the same keys, but given the experience should likely be a much better delegator of responsibilities than Bolton seemingly was. I bet Bolton didn't like Walls (the training wheels) being attached.

Would be gutted if SOS has to make way for the new coach. Don't think it sends the right message, or gives SOS the kudos he deserves for rebuilding the list.

Who knows how it will affect his boys too, who for all we know, could be enormously important parts of our 22 when our window opens (Jack already is).

Just gives me that "messiah coach" feeling all over again.

SOS is our GM of list management...why would he have to 'make way' for a new coach? They are completely seperate roles and whoever is coach should have no influence on whether SOS stays.

He was always going to have more misses in this category than other clubs because of the situation...with us having lots of young, high draft picks.
Hard position when a lot of the mature aged players we're looking at we only see as short-term players and to 'support' the kids.

Compare that to say a Geelong, who have been in the top half of the ladder for years with a mature list. When they go for matured aged players they can be very selective in going for someone for a particular role to fill a gap long-term. We are not in that position.

Everyone starts somewhere, but given we've just come off a newbie, we're highly unlikely to go down that path again. Just can't see it.

Coaching as we know, isn't solely about tending to the training regime of a squad of players.....one has to be able to delegate with authority, have runs on the board for being a good person-manager, has to know how to conduct him/herself across all football departments and to some degree....has to be a good politician and be able to hold ones nerve in testing times.

We allowed Bolton to take on way too much from the beginning. He was virtually given the keys to drive our club. Too hard.
The next coach, be it a senior coach, will also be likely to be given the same keys, but given the experience should likely be a much better delegator of responsibilities than Bolton seemingly was. I bet Bolton didn't like Walls (the training wheels) being attached.
i think there's a really big intangible element to this that you just won't capture with all the due diligence and screening processes in the world. you'll never know what a coach really brings to the table until you've seen them in the chair.

When ratten came in as a caretaker he didn't have any experience and didn't win any games but the energy was up, you could see the players responded to him and respected him and it just worked. That's what we have with teague right now. It just works. To throw that away for a 'big name' would be the most carlton thing ever.

Can we really bring in a guy that was at the centre of the Battle of Britain?
Yep, i was there and what about him stacking the backline when Fev was on 99 goals. Two of the lowest acts against Carlton involved Clarkson, stuff him.

Why?

Should we hire a coach based on the positive PR to come out of it?

We have record members, healthy sponsorship agreements, financially stable, a very united supporter base who keep turning up and most importantly, most of our kids contracts are locked in.

We are not in a such dire place that we should be looking at things like a profile boost when making such huge decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back