Things Cricket Needs

Remove this Banner Ad

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
- A batsman - just one - to come out with a helmet with only ear guards. It may be against international rules now, I’m not sure. I really hope it isn’t. But cricket needs a hero and anyone with the Robin Smith/Jimmy Adams/Allan Border configuration can be that person

I'm not sure I get your drift? Do you mean like the helmets they wore in the 80s? Or something really radical like a pair of earmuffs with kevlar (or something similar) over the ears? That would look awesome.

How about this bad boy?
79213.jpg

There was a good article on cricinfo recently about Robin Smith which is what prompted the drunken thread.

What a player of raw pace bowling he was. And genuinely England’s only world class top tier batsman between Gooch’s peak and probably Graham Thorpe

There was a good article on cricinfo recently about Robin Smith which is what prompted the drunken thread.

What a player of raw pace bowling he was. And genuinely England’s only world class top tier batsman between Gooch’s peak and probably Graham Thorpe
If you want a good read on English 90's cricket, Emma John's Following On, A Memoir of Teenage Obsession and Terrible Cricket is terrific.

If you want a good read on English 90's cricket, Emma John's Following On, A Memoir of Teenage Obsession and Terrible Cricket is terrific.

I like the title. 90s England cricket does fascinate me, their willingness to just pick anyone and everyone that once hit a score or took a bag in county cricket, the succession of great white hope players like McCague or Illot etc, the bits and pieces players like Lewis, De Freitas, the headcases like Hick and Ramps, the stalwarts like Stewart and Athers, the firebrands like Hussain (who can basically take the credit IMO for England becoming a top 4 fixture in test cricket for the last 17 years or so), and the terribly mismanaged like Fraser, Caddick, Smith etc

I like the title. 90s England cricket does fascinate me, their willingness to just pick anyone and everyone that once hit a score or took a bag in county cricket, the succession of great white hope players like McCague or Illot etc, the bits and pieces players like Lewis, De Freitas, the headcases like Hick and Ramps, the stalwarts like Stewart and Athers, the firebrands like Hussain (who can basically take the credit IMO for England becoming a top 4 fixture in test cricket for the last 17 years or so), and the terribly mismanaged like Fraser, Caddick, Smith etc
I loved Ramps.

I think you should add Hick to the list of terribly mismanaged. It's what lead to his headcase issues IMO. And Atherton's declaration is in retrospect one of the more despicable acts of English cricket in the period. Hick was apparently too slow with his 98* (off 166 balls only) and yet Atherton faced exactly the same number of deliveries and scored 31 runs fewer! Complete w***er! And his writing has an annoying, smug, pomposity to it too.

I think you should add Hick to the list of terribly mismanaged. It's what lead to his headcase issues IMO. And Atherton's declaration is in retrospect one of the more despicable acts of English cricket in the period. Hick was apparently too slow with his 98* (off 166 balls only) and yet Atherton faced exactly the same number of deliveries and scored 31 runs fewer! Complete w***er! And his writing has an annoying, smug, pomposity to it too.

I like athers but that was a ridiculous act.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ended up in Perth, don't know how he's doing at the moment but never heard anyone speak a bad word of him. So hopefully he's doing well!

Agreed that Athers is one of the best commentators going and a fantastic writer, but was a weird decision that failed to recognise personal context.

Ended up in Perth, don't know how he's doing at the moment but never heard anyone speak a bad word of him. So hopefully he's doing well!

Agreed that Athers is one of the best commentators going and a fantastic writer, but was a weird decision that failed to recognise personal context.

That guardian article - wow! That was bloody interesting.

Does anyone else remember that one day innings in the 1993 Ashes tour where he smacked 167 and just went absolutely berserk? That was one of my most vivid memories of cricket in England as a kid

Are you sure ? Do not remember him wearing helmet like that. Looks really 1979ish, World Series Cricket stuff which Yallop was not part of .

In early 1978 the Aussies toured the West Indies and Yallop had his jaw broken early on by Colin Croft. He returned and wore the full crash helmet used in the early days by people such as Dennis Amiss.

In early 1978 the Aussies toured the West Indies and Yallop had his jaw broken early on by Colin Croft. He returned and wore the full crash helmet used in the early days by people such as Dennis Amiss.
This looks the second version of helmets.
I was not even aware anyone outside of WSC cricket was even wearing helmets in 1978.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back