Western Bulldogs
I was just looking at the fixture and jeez we ended up having a tough draw;

Brisbane x2
Geelong x2
Wce in Perth
Rich
Collingwood x2
Gws in Sydney

9 games against the best teams in the comp and only 3 were played at Marvel.

For comparison Brisbane have played;

Geel in Brisbane
Wce in Brisbane
Rich this week in Melb
Coll in Brisbane
Gws in Sydney

5 games, 3 of which were at the Gabba

Geelong;

Bris in Bris
Wce in Geel
Rich at the G
Coll at the G
Gws in Geel

5 games, 1 interstate

Wce have played Bris, Geel, Rich and Gws once and doubled up against Pies.

Gws have played Bris, Geel, Wce, Coll once and doubled up against Tigers.

None of Bris, Geel or Rich had to travel to Perth to play WCE.

We are the only team that had to do the Optus, Gabba, Spotless and Kardinia quaddie...

Add in the fact that we are still putting out a team with under 2000 games experience every week and you can see what an amazing feat it has been to be sitting in the eight...

Could not be prouder of this group. Go Dogs!

Got a lot wrong this year from the JLT games onwards, we have what I like to term "The bubble of excellence"
and the bubble has had some serious continuity this year with a lot of players trending Maximus. We are
still searching for the ideal balance outside of "The bubble of excellence" and our age demographic makes
that search problematic at times.

I have enjoyed some players development this year, but not the players you think.

There is nothing wrong with Wally's opinion, it is his opinion. He is also allowed to be proud of the group.

If we fail to make the finals now, I would say the season itself is a failure as we have not taken the opportunity presented.

In saying that, if the momentum since the bye is carried forward to the next year and we consolidate as challengers then the year could certainly be looked upon as one where the newer group of players began their journey back up to where we all thought we would be, but were not due to varying reasons, after 2016.

It appears as if our gamestyle, coaching including assistants, and players are starting to come together. It appeared a little that way last year, however what was shown it was a small body of evidence that demonstrated this, whereas this year the body of evidence is longer and stronger. The season goes for 23 weeks and the first 11 weeks were poor. We lost to Gold Coast, Carlton and North at home and even St Kilda was at our home ground later in the year.

Ultimately, we are a professional football team and the only indicator of success is wins and losses and the only indicator of an amazing season is significant improvement on the year before if you have not played finals or maintaining consistency if you are a top 4 club.

IF we do make the finals yes I will be proud off the group like Wally. IF we do not I will merely be disappointed the group were not be able to take the opportunity but would hold judgement on the year until a decent body of work next season

How can you call missing the finals with a (comparatively) small amount of injuries throughout the season amazing? Add that on top of 2 previous seasons of not making the finals.

Why is "making the finals" the be all and end all?
What then? Straight out a failure?
Out in a semi no good?
Beaten in a Prelim a total waste...

History won't care to remember anyone but the Premiers (and possibly a stiff runner up...).

We've won 8 of 10, beaten 5 of the other 7 currently in finals spots.
(and went toe to toe with Collingwood and Bris @ the 'Gabba).

Unfortunately we can't change the first 8 weeks, but we have learnt and moved on to a much better place.

You can be as angry as you like.
Others can be as proud as they like.
The facts will show that since the byes we've been arguably the best team in the comp, and if we make the finals we're every chance to have a genuine run at the big one.

Why is "making the finals" the be all and end all?
What then? Straight out a failure?
Out in a semi no good?
Beaten in a Prelim a total waste...

History won't care to remember anyone but the Premiers (and possibly a stiff runner up...).

We've won 8 of 10, beaten 5 of the other 7 currently in finals spots.
(and went toe to toe with Collingwood and Bris @ the 'Gabba).

Unfortunately we can't change the first 8 weeks, but we have learnt and moved on to a much better place.

You can be as angry as you like.
Others can be as proud as they like.
The facts will show that since the byes we've been arguably the best team in the comp, and if we make the finals we're every chance to have a genuine run at the big one.
Your last sentence (last half of it) is exactly why not making the finals shouldn’t be considered an “amazing season”. We have a really talented group who can do serious damage in the finals if we get there. To not make it and not give ourselves the opportunity would be seriously disappointing.

In all honesty, I’m astounded that anyone could have the opinion that missing the finals would be an amazing season

I’m with you Wally. To be angry at our season almost purely for missing finals, while ignoring the many positives is pretty narrow minded. We’re 6th in Premiership betting currently and are being spoken about as one of the real dangers to go deep in to finals all the while being in 10th spot 4 days ago.

We aren’t fighting for a top 4 double chance spot because our immaturity and lack of experience has cost us in a few games his year. Instead we’re fighting for a top 8 spot with the real possibility of going further if we achieve it.

Soooo much to be happy with at this point. I feel sorry for those that can’t enjoy it.

Your last sentence (last half of it) is exactly why not making the finals shouldn’t be considered an “amazing season”. We have a really talented group who can do serious damage in the finals if we get there. To not make it and not give ourselves the opportunity would be seriously disappointing.

In all honesty, I’m astounded that anyone could have the opinion that missing the finals would be an amazing season
I have posted this stat previously but I'll say it again;

In the last 8 years only two teams have made the finals with an average games experience of less than 2000. Dogs in 2015 and Dogs in 2016. If we beat the Crows we can add Dogs 2019 to that list.

It is absolutely amazing that we are in this position once again...

Does your rating of this season rely on Sunday’s result ? Win, we’ve had a great season. Lose, we’ve had a bad season ?
Go back to our season prediction thread from before Rd 1. Most had us finishing bottom 6. Some had us just outside finals and a very few had us playing finals.
So going on our expectations as a whole, we’ve already done better than what was expected. Finals is an absolute outstanding effort ( if we make it ) and to possibly go deep in to September is something that was laughed at before the season started by most on here.

Out of curiosity what was your predictions before Rd 1 ? Playing finals I take it ?

I was just looking at the fixture and jeez we ended up having a tough draw;

Brisbane x2
Geelong x2
Wce in Perth
Rich
Collingwood x2
Gws in Sydney

9 games against the best teams in the comp and only 3 were played at Marvel.

For comparison Brisbane have played;

Geel in Brisbane
Wce in Brisbane
Rich this week in Melb
Coll in Brisbane
Gws in Sydney

5 games, 3 of which were at the Gabba

Geelong;

Bris in Bris
Wce in Geel
Rich at the G
Coll at the G
Gws in Geel

5 games, 1 interstate

Wce have played Bris, Geel, Rich and Gws once and doubled up against Pies.

Gws have played Bris, Geel, Wce, Coll once and doubled up against Tigers.

None of Bris, Geel or Rich had to travel to Perth to play WCE.

We are the only team that had to do the Optus, Gabba, Spotless and Kardinia quaddie...

Add in the fact that we are still putting out a team with under 2000 games experience every week and you can see what an amazing feat it has been to be sitting in the eight...

Could not be prouder of this group. Go Dogs!
Good points, BUT we have lost to Norf, Saints, GC and Carlton all at Marvel, so no excuses there, however, it’s been a much better season than the last two. Much improvement and I’d be happy if we win a final or two, then push for top 4/a flag next two years

Good points, BUT we have lost to Norf, Saints, GC and Carlton all at Marvel, so no excuses there
Yup, you are right but s**t happens and sometimes you play teams at the wrong time. We got the Saints and North amid coaching changeovers and had Gold Coast when they were up and about early in the season. If we played them this week we would beat them by 20 goals.

I was just pointing out that we have played 9 out of 21 games (43%) against quality opposition. Brisbane have played 4 out of 21 (19%)...6 if you include us as quality...i think we've done well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is nothing wrong with Wally's opinion, it is his opinion. He is also allowed to be proud of the group.

If we fail to make the finals now, I would say the season itself is a failure as we have not taken the opportunity presented.

In saying that, if the momentum since the bye is carried forward to the next year and we consolidate as challengers then the year could certainly be looked upon as one where the newer group of players began their journey back up to where we all thought we would be, but were not due to varying reasons, after 2016.

It appears as if our gamestyle, coaching including assistants, and players are starting to come together. It appeared a little that way last year, however what was shown it was a small body of evidence that demonstrated this, whereas this year the body of evidence is longer and stronger. The season goes for 23 weeks and the first 11 weeks were poor. We lost to Gold Coast, Carlton and North at home and even St Kilda was at our home ground later in the year.

Ultimately, we are a professional football team and the only indicator of success is wins and losses and the only indicator of an amazing season is significant improvement on the year before if you have not played finals or maintaining consistency if you are a top 4 club.

IF we do make the finals yes I will be proud off the group like Wally. IF we do not I will merely be disappointed the group were not be able to take the opportunity but would hold judgement on the year until a decent body of work next season

I don’t see it as a failure if we miss. I’d see it more as a failure if we went 8-2 to Rd 10 and then missed, that for me is a real missed opportunity.
Teams with the right age demographics, games experience, recent high end recruits brought in specifically to win a flag... those teams not making finals would be opportunities missed.

We’re just running with a free hit at the moment and it just might result in something pretty amazing.

Touch Wood !!!

We started the year awful but the growth in the side may have justified the commitment to youth early on. i think Beveridge took far too long to respect the value of aerial competitiveness but he has overall built the squad well with excellent development of key young players. Dale, Lipinski, Young, English of course, Naughts and even the management of Mclean.

We could lose this week and there would be a lot of positive to be taken from the year.

Fact is, we're not there yet, we won't win the flag because we're coming from too far back and we are not quite honest enough as a polished 4 quarter side. We've all been aroused by the scoring power we've started to show and game to game we are a tough out. Our odds though are deservedly slim and it would not be out of this team's character to mentally slip up after such a good run this week.

For that reason i'll be there with my doggies scarf enjoying it for what it is. Our first final with this younger squad. Maybe the last game of this fun bulldogs season, out in the sticks. So let's enjoy it and will our boys closer to the symbolic line of great success that would be finals in 2019

Good points, BUT we have lost to Norf, Saints, GC and Carlton all at Marvel, so no excuses there, however, it’s been a much better season than the last two.

The upside of sneaking into the 8, we've beaten 5 of them this season! Playing better against teams above us than below us.

Honestly at the start of the season I thought getting back to winning half our games with a view to a future finals strike would be a good outcome. At the half way point I thought 9-10 wins would be our limit.

We’ve done a great job getting to where we are and I think we’ll be a lot better in the future for what we’ve done this year in developing Naughton, Richards, Lipinski, Schache, English, McLean etc.

If results had gone against us and we missed out through, say, Port and Essendon suddenly finding form I’d be ok with it.

As it stands though, finals are within our control and all we have to do is beat a side that have won two games since the bye at a venue we have an advantage at. I’ll be filthy if we don’t play a final.

Honestly at the start of the season I thought getting back to winning half our games with a view to a future finals strike would be a good outcome. At the half way point I thought 9-10 wins would be our limit.

We’ve done a great job getting to where we are and I think we’ll be a lot better in the future for what we’ve done this year in developing Naughton, Richards, Lipinski, Schache, English, McLean etc.

If results had gone against us and we missed out through, say, Port and Essendon suddenly finding form I’d be ok with it.

As it stands though, finals are within our control and all we have to do is beat a side that have won two games since the bye at a venue we have an advantage at. I’ll be filthy if we don’t play a final.
The Crows haven't been great but they have one game left to play for their lives. They came close to knocking off the Eagles in Perth, this won't be a cakewalk. 50/50 game for mine.

The Crows haven't been great but they have one game left to play for their lives. They came close to knocking off the Eagles in Perth, this won't be a cakewalk. 50/50 game for mine.
It certainly won’t be a cakewalk, but we deservedly go in favourites. Adelaide aren’t a bad side and after the flaming they got this week they’ll be fired up. If we’re a good side though we should win.

you guys will destroy us this weekend

Crows never play well in the regional/non-traditional grounds (Tassie/Canberra/Alice etc)

Also the players have legit checked out - I'm trying to tell myself it's a sabotage thing on their behalf to shake things up

Sadly (as in, luckily) I'll be working Sunday so will miss the carnage, so you can go as hard as you like

Does your rating of this season rely on Sunday’s result ? Win, we’ve had a great season. Lose, we’ve had a bad season ?
Go back to our season prediction thread from before Rd 1. Most had us finishing bottom 6. Some had us just outside finals and a very few had us playing finals.
So going on our expectations as a whole, we’ve already done better than what was expected. Finals is an absolute outstanding effort ( if we make it ) and to possibly go deep in to September is something that was laughed at before the season started by most on here.

Out of curiosity what was your predictions before Rd 1 ? Playing finals I take it ?
Here is a summary of our Time Capsule picks. The red circle shows where we are after Rd 22.

Clearly we have already exceeded the expectations of the majority who posted. A win on Sunday will move us further to the left - probably in both charts.

Last edited:

No it’s not that simple. However, missing finals can’t be an AMAZING season - Who will look back on this season in 5-10 years time and say “yep bloody, brilliant and satisfying year in 2019. Exceeded my expectations”?

My pre season prediction was we’d be about where we are now, maybe slightly better (as far as I remember)

If the Dogs 2019 season is amazing if we finish 11th, what would you classify our 2015, 2016 seasons or Brisbane’s 2019?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back