• Andrew McGrath

Votes: 64 16.6%
  • Tim Taranto

Votes: 147 38.1%
  • Hugh McCluggage

Votes: 175 45.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

McCluggage has only gone goalless 4 times this year. He has also kicked multiple goals on 6 occasions.
The best goal kicking mid in the comp at present. He is starting to dominate like he did in the TAC cup.

Just drop McGrath from this poll. It's pointless him being mentioned with these two.

Tarranto would be stiff not to make AA squad of 40. He has been GWS best midfielder all year. McLuggage would be in the mix for the team, staggering.

McGrath seems almost too team-oriented for his own good, and does the percentage thing (mainly flicking 45-degree handballs backwards) more often than he needs to.

Would rather see him burn his opponent when he’s got the chance. He’s got a booming kick he seriously under-utilises.

McGrath seems almost too team-oriented for his own good, and does the percentage thing (mainly flicking 45-degree handballs backwards) more often than he needs to.

Would rather see him burn his opponent when he’s got the chance. He’s got a booming kick he seriously under-utilises.
I’m not sure about the kick but yes, he does need to take the game on more. We’ve got a player in McGrath who always has more time than he thinks and another in Langford who always has less time than he thinks, if our development was any good we’d be able to fix that.

McCluggage makes the AA squad but Taranto misses out. Taranto has had a huge year statistically but I expect they went for McCluggage because he is a genuine winger, whereas Taranto is an inside mid with lots of similar players fighting for the same spot.

I couldn't believe when the Bombers picked Andrew McGrath, he basically had a real good end to the year and performed strongly at the draft combine..

But Hugh McCluggage was rated the best player for the most of the year by many experts. Tim Taranto obviously highly rated too most phantom drafts had him around 3-6th pick he has surprised me how quickly he has put on muscle must say a lot about the Giants program. they must work their players super hard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McGrath gets too much needless hate around these parts.

Would have him at Carlton in a heartbeat, it's not like he is a Jack Watts level of bust of a no 1 pick. Will win a couple of B and Fs and AA selections with Essendon over time.

McCluggage is a ripper but if he'd played any wider last week he'd have been in the front row. Depends what you want - inside or outside - you couldn't go wrong with he or Taranto. You could go massively wrong if you picked McGrath ahead of either of them, let alone both.
I mean, he is a winger atm. Does the tuff stuff and is probably one of the hardest players to wrap in a tackle in the league

McCluggage is a ripper but if he'd played any wider last week he'd have been in the front row. Depends what you want - inside or outside - you couldn't go wrong with he or Taranto. You could go massively wrong if you picked McGrath ahead of either of them, let alone both.

19 pressure acts hardly paint a picture of a guy afraid of the contest. He's great on the inside but is equally damaging on the outside. He plays his role very well. Also the highest scoring midfielder to boot.

McLug is my fav of the 3 now after seeing him up close in rnd 23, beautiful mover and great kick

19 pressure acts hardly paint a picture of a guy afraid of the contest. He's great on the inside but is equally damaging on the outside. He plays his role very well. Also the highest scoring midfielder to boot.
Who said he was afraid of the contest?

(By the way, pressure acts wouldn't prove that he wasn't, given that by definition you have to be second to the ball.)

Who said he was afraid of the contest?

(By the way, pressure acts wouldn't prove that he wasn't, given that by definition you have to be second to the ball.)

You implied that he's an extremely outside player which is false?

He had 27 touches and 19 pressure acts fwiw.

Post 2019 I’d go McCluggage, Taranto then McGrath.

As some of the previous comments said, it probably just depends what you want. They’re two very different players. Goal kicking wingman with respectable efficiency vs inside contested player who tackles and wins clearances, both very valuable.

Unfortunately I think McGrath is a fair bit off the other two at the moment, but still shows promising signs of being a solid footballer. I feel like Essendon sort of don’t know where to use him. He’s not in their best two rebounding defenders, he’s not in their best 3 half forwards and he’s not in their best 3 mids. I’m not suggesting he’s no good, he’s just not elite enough in any position to consolidate himself anywhere and really dominate that spot.

Post 2019 I’d go McCluggage, Taranto then McGrath.

As some of the previous comments said, it probably just depends what you want. They’re two very different players. Goal kicking wingman with respectable efficiency vs inside contested player who tackles and wins clearances, both very valuable.

Unfortunately I think McGrath is a fair bit off the other two at the moment, but still shows promising signs of being a solid footballer. I feel like Essendon sort of don’t know where to use him. He’s not in their best two rebounding defenders, he’s not in their best 3 half forwards and he’s not in their best 3 mids. I’m not suggesting he’s no good, he’s just not elite enough in any position to consolidate himself anywhere and really dominate that spot.
Bombers should keep using him on a wing. I'd argue Bags isn't in our top 3 mids either at this point but he'd be in the top handful of wingmen in the league. McGrath and the bombers should strive to emulate that.

Back