List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

https://nableague.com.au/afl-eye-catchers-draft-combine-tall-defs/

Published on September 13, 2019 4:46 pm

Sep-13-Combine-tall-defenders-Open-Unis-895x490.jpg

article_photo_credit_bg.png

L-R: Sam De Koning (Dandenong Stingrays), Josh Worrell (Sandringham Dragons) and Brodie Kemp (Bendigo Pioneers)
AFL EYE-CATCHERS: Draft Combine tall defs

Four NAB League Boys players are among the fourth positional grouping announced for October’s 2019 NAB AFL Draft Combine: Tall Defenders.

The AFL Draft Combine will be held in Melbourne from Tuesday October 1 to Friday October 4, with the 11 total Tall Defenders to undergo various tests in front of AFL clubs alongside several other positional groupings among the 79 overall invitees.

* CLICK HERE to see the NAB League Boys players named among the previous positional grouping: Medium Defenders.

“The AFL benchmark for Tall Defenders this year is the seemingly unpassable West Coast Eagles defender Jeremy McGovern and first time Virgin Australia AFL All Australian defender Harris Andrews,” AFL Talent Ambassador Kevin Sheehan said. “Both are outstanding readers of the ball in flight and superb intercept-markers.
“The AFL Clubs will watch the tall prospects’ every move at the NAB AFL Draft Combine in search for a point of difference that can add to their teams.”

See Kevin Sheehan’s comments on the NAB League Boys players named in the Tall Defenders grouping for the 2019 NAB AFL Draft Combine below.

SAM DE KONING (Dandenong Stingrays)
200cm, 85kg
Tall defender who is athletic, mobile and can move forward to impact the game. His intercept marking is a feature of his game down back, where he also shows plenty of dash. An excellent decision-maker on when to mark or spoil, he was a consistent performer for Vic Country in the 2019 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, earning NAB AFL Under-18 All Australian honours after averaging 12.5 disposals and 4.8 marks. His brother Tom is with Carlton and his father Terry played for the Western Bulldogs.

BRODIE KEMP (Bendigo Pioneers)
192cm, 82kg
Tall defender/forward who excelled down back in the early rounds of the 2019 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships before going forward and providing a dangerous marking target in the last two matches. He reads the play exceptionally well in either role with his overhead marking elite. He had an outstanding 2019 Under-18 Championships, averaging 20 disposals and 6.5 marks. His precision kicking was also a feature in him winning 2019 NAB AFL Under-18 All Australian honours. He ruptured his ACL in a College game after the Championships but is on the road to a full recovery.

FISCHER McASEY (Sandringham Dragons)
195cm, 86kg
Tall defender whose intercept marking was a feature of his 2019 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships playing for Vic Metro. He also showed precise decision-making ability on when to spoil or mark and controlled his position throughout the Championships, winning 2019 NAB AFL Under-18 All Australian honours. A one-touch player, he averaged 14.5 disposals and 6.5 marks to win Vic Metro’s MVP. Also shown ability at school and NAB League level to go forward and be a dangerous marking target.

JOSH WORRELL (Sandringham Dragons)
195cm, 74kg
Left-footed tall defender with very good closing speed and repeat efforts. A versatile type who played back, midfield and forward in the 2019 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships and showed strength overhead and sound goalkicking technique. He averaged 10.8 disposals, 3.8 marks and 1.8 goals across the Championships, including kicking four goals against Western Australia. He injured his shoulder late in the year and missed the NAB League finals.

https://nableague.com.au/afl-eye-catchers-draft-combine-tall-defs/

Published on September 13, 2019 4:46 pm

Sep-13-Combine-tall-defenders-Open-Unis-895x490.jpg

article_photo_credit_bg.png

L-R: Sam De Koning (Dandenong Stingrays), Josh Worrell (Sandringham Dragons) and Brodie Kemp (Bendigo Pioneers)
AFL EYE-CATCHERS: Draft Combine tall defs

Four NAB League Boys players are among the fourth positional grouping announced for October’s 2019 NAB AFL Draft Combine: Tall Defenders.

The AFL Draft Combine will be held in Melbourne from Tuesday October 1 to Friday October 4, with the 11 total Tall Defenders to undergo various tests in front of AFL clubs alongside several other positional groupings among the 79 overall invitees.

* CLICK HERE to see the NAB League Boys players named among the previous positional grouping: Medium Defenders.

“The AFL benchmark for Tall Defenders this year is the seemingly unpassable West Coast Eagles defender Jeremy McGovern and first time Virgin Australia AFL All Australian defender Harris Andrews,” AFL Talent Ambassador Kevin Sheehan said. “Both are outstanding readers of the ball in flight and superb intercept-markers.
“The AFL Clubs will watch the tall prospects’ every move at the NAB AFL Draft Combine in search for a point of difference that can add to their teams.”

See Kevin Sheehan’s comments on the NAB League Boys players named in the Tall Defenders grouping for the 2019 NAB AFL Draft Combine below.

SAM DE KONING (Dandenong Stingrays)

200cm, 85kg
Tall defender who is athletic, mobile and can move forward to impact the game. His intercept marking is a feature of his game down back, where he also shows plenty of dash. An excellent decision-maker on when to mark or spoil, he was a consistent performer for Vic Country in the 2019 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, earning NAB AFL Under-18 All Australian honours after averaging 12.5 disposals and 4.8 marks. His brother Tom is with Carlton and his father Terry played for the Western Bulldogs.

BRODIE KEMP (Bendigo Pioneers)
192cm, 82kg
Tall defender/forward who excelled down back in the early rounds of the 2019 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships before going forward and providing a dangerous marking target in the last two matches. He reads the play exceptionally well in either role with his overhead marking elite. He had an outstanding 2019 Under-18 Championships, averaging 20 disposals and 6.5 marks. His precision kicking was also a feature in him winning 2019 NAB AFL Under-18 All Australian honours. He ruptured his ACL in a College game after the Championships but is on the road to a full recovery.

FISCHER McASEY (Sandringham Dragons)
195cm, 86kg
Tall defender whose intercept marking was a feature of his 2019 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships playing for Vic Metro. He also showed precise decision-making ability on when to spoil or mark and controlled his position throughout the Championships, winning 2019 NAB AFL Under-18 All Australian honours. A one-touch player, he averaged 14.5 disposals and 6.5 marks to win Vic Metro’s MVP. Also shown ability at school and NAB League level to go forward and be a dangerous marking target.

JOSH WORRELL (Sandringham Dragons)
195cm, 74kg
Left-footed tall defender with very good closing speed and repeat efforts. A versatile type who played back, midfield and forward in the 2019 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships and showed strength overhead and sound goalkicking technique. He averaged 10.8 disposals, 3.8 marks and 1.8 goals across the Championships, including kicking four goals against Western Australia. He injured his shoulder late in the year and missed the NAB League finals.

Ideally two around 198-200

Two around 193-195

Pass the rest (normal practice)

If that's it, the 4 listed look ok

No one under 190

Anyone think with Kemp doing his ACL that he might drop to12 if we hang onto our 1st??
I asked the Fox Footy guys and they said he would be gone before 12
the ACL hasn't scared off any clubs

Nick Coughlan , Anthony Scott, Marcus Lentini are three i would look at with our late picks

Edit: i suck at english

Last edited:
Nick Coffield, Anthony Scott, Marcus Lentini are three i would look at with our late picks
Nick Coffield, the Saints player? I'm guessing you got names mixed up here..

Is Lentini not just another high production inside midfielder? Or am I wrong there, admittedly have seen next to none of his actual gameplay

Is Lentini not just another high production inside midfielder? Or am I wrong there, admittedly have seen next to none of his actual gameplay
Nick Coffield? From St Kilda?
My bad, i meant Nick Coughlan from Werribee but he was on the Saints rookie list (pres played at Footscray)

Lentini is a high production midfielder but i actually think he has the ability to be a good forward and push up the ground

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm expecting two late live picks and a Lachie Young upgrade this year.
Which leaves us with one rookie spot with Buku moving to Cat A Rookie and likely delisting Roarke

I'm expecting two late live picks and a Lachie Young upgrade this year.
If one of those is Ben Sokol, I'll be happy. I also wouldn't be surprised if Young isn't upgraded. He extended quite early in the season, and we don't have much incentive to upgrade him unless we are really tight on how many live picks we want to bring to the draft

Pick 12 in this draft sounds like a real test for Power. Sounds like one of those drafts where there will be a few gems scattered around (there always are) but a lot of list cloggers also.

My top ten. Probably one or two available at our first, should we keep it.

1. Noah Anderson
2. Matthew Rowell
3. Brodie Kemp
4. Lachlan Ash
5. Sam Flanders
6. Fischer McAsey
7. Tom Green
8. Hayden Young
9. Caleb Serong
10. Dylan Williams

Last edited:
TheRoar phantom draft suggests Hawthorn will take McAsey before our pick even if we keep pick 12. It has us bidding on Liam Henry then taking Cody Weightman. I imagine he could go a bit later than that.

I think from a list perspective (assuming we get Bruce and Keath) the most logical type of player we could target is a crumbing/x-factor forward.

Often these types of players can come into the team pretty early and have impact where as the other lists needs (wing and longer term kpd) need longer to build up the stamina or strength required.

I'd be pretty happy to get Dylan Williams at our pick. He's had a bit of a flat year but has loads of potential. I think the fear with players who have a better underage year is that they have already peaked but I don't think that's the case with Williams.

My top ten. Probably one or two available at our first, should we keep it.

1. Noah Anderson
2. Matthew Rowell
3. Brodie Kemp
4. Lachlan Ash
5. Sam Flanders
6. Fischer McAsey
7. Tom Green
8. Hayden Young
9. Caleb Serong
10. Dylan Williams
Out of these guys the most likely to be around is probably Williams. Got a feeling that we might end up going tall if we have an early pick though. Much easier to find good smalls later in the draft than talls.

Out of these guys the most likely to be around is probably Williams. Got a feeling that we might end up going tall if we have an early pick though. Much easier to find good smalls later in the draft than talls.
Williams is the odd one. Hasn't lived up to expectations this year, but he's had some back injury which has limited him. Has a super high ceiling. I'd like us to take a punt, and as you said he'd most likely be there.

This draft feels like the perfect one for us, especially if we get Keath and Bruce. Plenty of x-factor small/medium forwards, and you don't always need high picks to find these types as they can be hard to rate in their underage years. If we have three shots at it in this draft I reckon we can find at least one.

Having said that watch us draft three inside mids and disappoint me.

Casey Jimmy Munro will be doing some testing for Bulldogs in the coming weeks

Mature age midfielder/half back
Elite tank and great speed, true clubman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back