News Colin Carter and Geelong's "ugly" fans

Remove this Banner Ad

Barely anyone on my train chatted at all.
The discontent was the silence, other than that there seems nary any evidence its more than just a vocal minority.
I've found most Geelong people I know or talk to think Scott is a dickhead.
Have for a few years now. I'll admit I don't know anyone from the cheersquad or mega serious types like that.

I've found most Geelong people I know or talk to think Scott is a dickhead.
Have for a few years now. I'll admit I don't know anyone from the cheersquad or mega serious types like that.

Same for me.
Almost every cats fan I know personally, and that number is pretty high, all think he's a poor coach or at best a bit of a flog when it comes to media.
I'd say the majority have some kind of misgivings towards Scott. Atleast the majority of the "serious" fans, the emotionally invested.

He should be happy with any fans he has. Can see a drop in memberships coming very soon. The ‘small minority’, at least that’s what they called it last year, of fans unhappy with Scott are now the vocal majority. Reap what you sow.
And if there is, you can bet he'll be telling the fans that they're entitled and ungrateful while simultaneously expressing bemusement at the drop-off in support.

Actually, even the tiger fans were pretty quiet. One ordinary rendition of their club song, otherwise quiet.
Geelong fans were ok- polite and resigned by the looks. The tigers win was convincing enough in the end that it was hard to feel cheesed off-not like the pies who got so close and must be hurting.
I expect most cat fans are happy enough but again, some of the stupid decisions in the finals -am sure there is widespread bafflement. The mistakes were so obvious that they can’t be brushed off as ‘minority’ views.
I view it differently.

It's easy to sit in the cheap seats as Lloyd did and ask about the Blicavs on the wing decision, and Carter was right about it being a group decision and if they thought it out and discussed it at length and it failed so be it. Ditto the call to have Henderson at FF in Hawkins absence. Very easy to sit in those seats and crucify Scott for its failure.

The angle I take is what led them to those decisions?
Clark, Duncan and Cunico all injured... The have so little faith in Simpson, Parsons, Scooter that they'd rather play Blicavs on a wing.
They have so little faith in Buzza, Fort, Abbott that they'd rather play Henderson forward.
So little faith in Constable's defensive game and tank that they couldn't make Dangerfield the FF.

But once Hendo came in for Hawk the dye was cast. Couldn't then send Blicavs back because given they have Rioli, Castagna, Bolton and at times Martin having all of Blicavs, Kolo, Taylor and Hendo down back with Henry as well would be too tall. So kolo would have had to have taken his place on the wing... and he was beating Riewoldt. To make that move we needed different changes on Thursday but its telling that they didn't.

They clearly have no faith in a few, and I do wonder if it's a drafting problem or a development problem.
Parsons and Simpson and Narkle aren't inside mids yet play VFL in the guts.
Parfitt and Atkins and Fogarty are mids yet play AFL in the forward pocket.
Abbott, Fort, Smith are all ruckmen yet all spend far too much time in the forward line.. yet Kreuger who is a promising forward at times got shunted to the backline to accommodate them.

you say the mistakes were obvious, and they probably were, the events that led to those mistakes and the reasons they came to be is IMO far more complex and a deep rooted issue than simply swinging a magnet or two mid game.

And if there is, you can bet he'll be telling the fans that they're entitled and ungrateful while simultaneously expressing bemusement at the drop-off in support.
Can you imagine them saying that stuff about fans once Gazza, Selwood, Taylor, Hawkins are gone, Danger is well past his prime and we're missing out on finals by at least 2 games.
I'll bet anything they don't. Ever!
Will be like the early 2000's again when they were stoked to have us.
Faaark I've never even heard Hawthorn say that s**t about their fans.
No club actually. They're spoilt and entitled as f**k.

You're not a moderator. You don't get to tell people what to write - although I'm sure you secretly crave that power.
Put your spectacles on old man. Find one comment in this thread telling people what to write.
Even stated you can criticise Scott all you like, it's you that live with the knowledge that those particular views are given no credence by those that matter. Not mine.
Almost as worthless as Scott's tactical acumen in September.
Your sarcasm or your attempts to give me a clip?
Rhetorical question.

Colin is a perfect example of old Geelong.

Now when I say Old Geelong I mean that Geelong as described in Comeback by James Cotton, the club that was content with just making finals not winning them.

Think it is time for Colin to move onto greener pastures where he can live in the glory days of his mind

Can you imagine them saying that stuff about fans once Gazza, Selwood, Taylor, Hawkins are gone, Danger is well past his prime and we're missing out on finals by at least 2 games.
I'll bet anything they don't. Ever!
Will be like the early 2000's again when they were stoked to have us.
Faaark I've never even heard Hawthorn say that s**t about their fans.
No club actually. They're spoilt and entitled as f**k.
Yep totally agree

The one time I’ve seen the club 100 % backed the fans was 2011 calling for unity and pride ...now it’s just cheap shots and calling the fan base self entitled ..even Scott has said it a few times in press conferences when deflecting from criticism from fans

It’s getting concerning how much the club takes the fans for granted considering our past and how close the club came to fold financially not long ago

They really need a hard look at how they treat the fans these days and it’s been going on for years now

Now when I say Old Geelong I mean that Geelong as described in Comeback by James Cotton, the club that was content with just making finals not winning them.

Think it is time for Colin to move onto greener pastures where he can live in the glory days of his mind
Colin literally is old Geelong. Read an interview when he presided over us when we built the first Hickey stand.
Apparently to build it was like 10 years of the club's gross income.
Crazy ay. No government grants back then.

Yep totally agree

The one time I’ve seen the club 100 % backed the fans was 2011 calling for unity and pride ...now it’s just cheap shots and calling the fan base self entitled ..even Scott has said it a few times in press conferences when deflecting from criticism from fans

It’s getting concerning how much the club takes the fans for granted considering our past and how close the club came to fold financially not long ago

They really need a hard look at how they treat the fans these days and it’s been going on for years now
This is the thing. If the fans are treated like idiots by the coach and administrators then guess what, you’re gonna get some fans being idiots and sending ‘abusive letters’ lol

Unfortunately a lot of the good work done under Bomber and Cook in the early years seems to have been undone. The club is back to being highly focused on individuals rather than the team and happy just to be in the mix, rather than experiencing real success.

I wouldn't dream of sending abusive correspondence to the club; and on that note, I'll make sure and forget to send my membership fees next season too.

Abusive people are strewn throughout society, not just football membership/fan bases. Does carter expect everyone to play nice, as if our supporters are solely benevolent?

I take his comments as diversion from criticism, and setting a platform for virtue signalling.

What I took from his stance is that communication is the focus within the club and coaches, above all else. I work in an organisation and sector that loves communication, so much so that's what we spend the vast majority of time doing; talking, corresponding, listening, meeting, planning, reviewing across multiple levels of stakeholders. We spend so much time 'communication' and little time doing! It's a s**t environment and it produces s**t outcomes, but hey that's fine because it's communicated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Put your spectacles on old man. Find one comment in this thread telling people what to write.
Even stated you can criticise Scott all you like, it's you that live with the knowledge that those particular views are given no credence by those that matter. Not mine.

Your sarcasm or your attempts to give me a clip?
Rhetorical question.

Only this:

Aw nice to see you too.
Stay on topic thanks. This isn't about me, it's about Carter's comments.

Otherwise think you've realised by now I'm sarcastic with everyone.

I view it differently.

It's easy to sit in the cheap seats as Lloyd did and ask about the Blicavs on the wing decision, and Carter was right about it being a group decision and if they thought it out and discussed it at length and it failed so be it. Ditto the call to have Henderson at FF in Hawkins absence. Very easy to sit in those seats and crucify Scott for its failure.

Clark, Duncan and Cunico all injured... The have so little faith in Simpson, Parsons, Scooter that they'd rather play Blicavs on a wing.
They have so little faith in Buzza, Fort, Abbott that they'd rather play Henderson forward.
So little faith in Constable's defensive game and tank that they couldn't make Dangerfield the FF.

But once Hendo came in for Hawk the dye was cast. Couldn't then send Blicavs back because given they have Rioli, Castagna, Bolton and at times Martin having all of Blicavs, Kolo, Taylor and Hendo down back with Henry as well would be too tall. So kolo would have had to have taken his place on the wing... and he was beating Riewoldt. To make that move we needed different changes on Thursday but its telling that they didn't.

They clearly have no faith in a few, and I do wonder if it's a drafting problem or a development problem.
Abbott, Fort, Smith are all ruckmen yet all spend far too much time in the forward line.. yet Kreuger who is a promising forward at times got shunted to the backline to accommodate them.

you say the mistakes were obvious, and they probably were, the events that led to those mistakes and the reasons they came to be is IMO far more complex and a deep rooted issue than simply swinging a magnet or two mid game.
Yep- thoughtful post and agree with lots of it. Constable needs to be given more of a run for mine-he’s part of the future. He can learn more in the firsts. We will lose Ablett, Kelly, selwood, danger over next couple of years. Need some young mids.
I still think it’s a lot easier to cover the wing than it is to cover a key forward -Ellis and caddy etc aren’t nearly as effective as lynch. And why, even during the second half when it was obvious it needed attention, didn’t they switch Blicavs back? He wasn’t helping stop the flow, so move him back.
I accept that the absence of Hawkins, Duncan and Clark made things tough. And it would have been a more interesting contest with those players. That doesn’t explain the no ruck re pies. Maybe there are several people making the decisions but these are occasions when someone with a clear, simple vision can point out the bleeding obvious- we need to play Stanley. Feel like we need Balme back to remind them to keep things simple.
Maybe as you say, it’s a development problem. You make good observations there.
I don’t think we are far off the pace and I quite like some aspects of scott’s ‘ creativity’, but we also needn’t outsmart ourselves.

I view it differently.

Totally agree about Henderson, that was a much tougher call and with Hawkins out there were little options. Other than maybe Taylor there and Henderson back.

With Blicavs, he's played all or most of the last two seasons as a key defender. Why change now? That seems to be the major query. Surely someone else could have played wing instead.

Totally agree about Henderson, that was a much tougher call and with Hawkins out there were little options. Other than maybe Taylor there and Henderson back.

With Blicavs, he's played all or most of the last two seasons as a key defender. Why change now? That seems to be the major query. Surely someone else could have played wing instead.
Given you're now engaging in good faith let's return the favour.
You don't worry about the root cause or wonder why things happen?

it doesn't concern you that the best option they thought for the role was Blicavs. He's only played there once Duncan got injured.
Duncan copped a knock v Carlton and late in the game Blicavs was there, I know as I was following Budda230's advice and watching our stoppage setups. Same again when Duncan got re-injured.

Why focus on the performance of Blicavs in the role? Surely the more pertinent question is how did that option come to be, and we know off Carter that it was a collaborative decision.
I find it alarming that the best option was deemed our fullback who has made the last two AA squads. Just how bad is our player development?

That's all true. But the following is also true:

1. We were sitting on top of the ladder with 11 wins and 1 loss before the bye.
2. Since the bye we've won 6 games and lost 7.
3. We defeated Collingwood at the MCG during home and away but lost to them during finals.
4. We defeated Richmond at the MCG during home and away but lost to them during finals.
5. We were absolutely without Hawkins and Duncan, even Rohan if you want to be really generous. Richmond had Graham bust his shoulder in the first quarter, and Broad knocked out in the third. Plus we were 21 points up at half time But we still lost.
6. We've finished top 4 in no less than 5 of the last 7 seasons. Have not reached one Grand Final.

Perspective goes both ways.

1. Yes, we overachieved.
2. Did you expect us to go 22-1?
3. We were lucky to beat them in round 1.
4. They were missing eight of their best players in round 12.
5. Richmond are a good side and better than us.
6. We’ve turned over an entire premiership list in that period.

Honestly, our fans are spoiled brats. We’d have to be the most entitled supporter group in the entire competition.

I had Port supporters over my place last night and they said “It must be nice going into every game knowing you’re a chance to win.” We’ve had unprecedented success since 2006 and still no satisfaction from the supporter base. It would be bad enough just to sook about it, but to actively look to have our coach, administration sacked is pathetic and ridiculous.

You clearly misunderstood. My point was and is, this is a year in which we overachieved against expectations at the start of the year and you’re calling for the board and administration to be sacked.
We didn't overachieve. I suspected we would do really well based on the news of the review and players saying they were upset with falling short in '18.

The H&A season isn't fake. Ninety percent of the time a top 4 team from the H&A season wins it. Three of the top 4 sides were in the prelim, and a team most called a dangerous propostion (guaged by the H&A season) in GWS is in the GF.

We finished on top. We underachieved in the finals. Why? What happened?

1. Yes, we overachieved.

Honestly, our fans are spoiled brats. We’d have to be the most entitled supporter group in the entire competition.

I had Port supporters over my place last night and they said “It must be nice going into every game knowing you’re a chance to win.” We’ve had unprecedented success since 2006 and still no satisfaction from the supporter base. It would be bad enough just to sook about it, but to actively look to have our coach, administration sacked is pathetic and ridiculous.

Yes, let's emulate the port adelaide method. We can then feel grateful and privileged when our team fulfils the minimum requirement of being competitive. Teams/people don't become the best by being satisfied with being 'thereabouts.' If you aren't being ruthless to get the win then there is no point turning up.

1. Yes, we overachieved.

Did they ask you what it's like going into every Elimanation Final knowing its going to be over by 1/4 time?
How come we overachieved? Or we do every year?
Is it because we can't play finals so it's an excuse?
The KP inflating our numbers doesn't sit well with me.
Interstate sides get 11 home games not 8-9.

I view it differently.

You make some good points here, and is an indictment on the management, coaching and field positioning of our youngsters by those in charge.

I'm of the belief that we need a good clean out of our assistants to bring in fresh ideas, strategies and enthusiasm.

As Art said just a minute before your post

"Think of the poor girl/guy first year out of Uni that probably has to handle a club social media account. The s**t they'd cop from crazed malcontents. "

Are you kidding? They have signed on to manage a social media account, and the buse isn’t directed towards them anyway. It’d be different if they were answering the phone of course, but reading your boss’ hate mail might be quite amusing.

I do agree with you though, there is no need to be nasty or abusive, and it doesn’t get you anywhere anyway.

This is completely anecdotal, but i've heard from a number of older Geelong supporters that they feel this is where the club has landed post Thompson and Costa. Costa pushed for more, for us to be greater than we were. Carter seems to accept that making up the numbers is close enough to greatness. We shouldn't need to quote Scotts W/L% to evidence his competency, the Geelong Football Club under Costa would have wanted to quote how many flags we had, and would have accepted little else to measure our success.

There has been a subtle change in mindset under Carter that seems to have slowly worked it's way through the admin. Either because they've been there long enough to remember the glory years (Cook) and have become complacent, or because they simply dont care enough about the on field success so long as the off field numbers (memberships and W/L%) look good (this is where i fear Carter falls).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back