Analysis Danger on Tim Kelly + his 2020 contract

What would be an adequate trade for Tim Kelly?

• Brad AND Steven Hill from Fremantle

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Someone from West Coast

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • Two top-end draft picks

Votes: 88 62.4%
  • Top-end draft pick and player

Votes: 24 17.0%
  • Other (please specify) ______________

Votes: 12 8.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe Geelong's requested 3 picks inside the top 30 which includes high end picks

So top 10 pick this year, next year's first = 2 picks

Where's the 3rd top 30 pick?

I do remember Wells making that statement. My thoughts were that both parties tend to have opening gambits and the end result is somewhere in the middle.

two top 20 picks, with one this year in the top 10 is comparable to trades of similar players right? Not as high as treloar, similar to shiel, better than neale (let me know if I am wrong about that).

Would that be a place to meet in the middle?

I do remember Wells making that statement. My thoughts were that both parties tend to have opening gambits and the end result is somewhere in the middle.

two top 20 picks, with one this year in the top 10 is comparable to trades of similar players right? Not as high as treloar, similar to shiel, better than neale (let me know if I am wrong about that).

Well, when Gaff triggers his get-out clause that could be a starting point

Someone thread ban this troll please.

Well, when Gaff triggers his get-out clause that could be a starting point

Gaff contract clause isn't until next year.

Given that we have already been flexible with his contract, providing him with that option, I'd be keen to hold him for one more year, so no can do.

Gaff contract clause isn't until next year.

Given that we have already been flexible with his contract, providing him with that option, I'd be keen to hold him for one more year, so no can do.
Nope can't hold a player to a contract that is a big no no according to WC supporters

If the Crows are looking at picks 1 &/or 2 for the Crouch brothers, then surely you can see why Geelong wants 3 top 30 picks - get us 2 X top 10 picks and maybe all 3 won't be required

I think the problem with including next year's first in such a big trade is the unusually high proportion of potential top 40 draftees who are tied to clubs. When we still have a year to go, and with Kelly in a midfield that is already pretty damn good, it isn't unreasonable to speculate that we are talking a pick in the late teens that slides out to the mid twenties. 14 and 25 is a long way off what I think neutral judges think is reasonable - something in the lower top ten and something late first round; would have been more if he had been contracted.

I don't see how it gets done without a player trade that gets you a pick, or a player direct to Cats - but I'm also willing to bet that, since the announcement was scheduled for Friday morning, quite a bit of the negotiating has already been done. (They might just be waiting for a good time to tell [insert name of most loved Eagle] he is going to the Cats 😀)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OFFICIAL CLUB STATEMENT:

Tim Kelly has asked that the club trade him to Western Australia, with his preference being to play with the West Coast Eagles.

Tim is out of contract but is not a free agent.

The club will explore all options in regard to Tim’s request.

Still shocked at how many WC supporters are adamant they were going to take Kelly with the next pick. Did they take a time machine and see what would happen if we didn't take him because i can't see how they are 100% certain they would of taken him.
And what about the year before, and the year before that?

Very slim chance he stays, so thanks Tim for a wonderful 2 years, been a pleasure watching him in the blue and white hoops, but family comes first. Wonder how his speech will go if he wins the B&F, if he had it his way he’d play his career out at Geelong.

Anyway, if we can turn losing Kelly into gaining Jack Steven and Andrew Gaff, then for the short term at least, that makes us a better and more balanced team.

Very slim chance he stays, so thanks Tim for a wonderful 2 years, been a pleasure watching him in the blue and white hoops, but family comes first. Wonder how his speech will go if he wins the B&F, if he had it his way he’d play his career out at Geelong.

Anyway, if we can turn losing Kelly into gaining Jack Steven and Andrew Gaff, then for the short term at least, that makes us a better and more balanced team.
Can that be done?
Good outcome if it is

I just hope this gets done quickly. I love the excitement of the trade period, but for a second year player who doesnt love Geelong, im tired of hearing about him.

He does love Geelong but his family is more important than a football club.

Confirmed the request. Was 99% sure it was going to happen but still feels like a dagger. I don't blame him or judge him negatively (only way that could ever happen is if he held us over a barrel and we got a crap deal) but, as a supporter of Geelong, it just sucks. Finally we draft an out-and-out, ready-made gun and we can't keep him. Ah well.

Don't be harsh on Tim, Fremantle is where players careers go to die. It will be this years first rounder and next. With your second rounder coming back.

Second rounder coming back? No. I am trying to stay fair, but that is just ... ridiculous ...

It would value Kelly at around pick 10 - I am factoring in a big slide in first round picks next year because of all the academy and related tied picks - and Polec was pick 11.

No way.

Your not getting Gaff, but Jack steven will still be a beast

Good post. Long-term, we gotta find ourselves a gun ruckman too.

Kelly gone! it will be two first rounders and move on. Laughing at how Geelong are trying to make it sound like he might not get to the Eagles.

Are you lost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back