Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't say I know much about your inner workings etc. along with the Hogan trade etc., but seems he's at risk of further making a mockery of freo at the sake of his own ego.. even if his aim is to advantage freo... seems the saints gave a more than generous offer and he risked the whole deal for greed? not sure if he's the right person to help your clubs image and get back on track after lyon..

This is simply history repeating.
Last year Freo (especially Peter Bell) was being smashed everywhere in the AFL media ... and how did that end up ... by the end of the Trade period Freo was being rated by all the experts as having done extremely well.

I'm a big fan for Freo to get a deal done with SK so B.Hill can move on, but I'm also more than happy with proceedings so far.
Freo gain much more by having B.Hill in 2020 than they do from pick #6 (and change) and anybody who thinks P.Bell is fuming because SK have got rid of pick #6 really has no idea.

oh completely... exceptionally greedy and west coast overpaid but also for one of the best players in the competition going to a competing team... that was their call and they agreed rather than go back and forth with geelong... their deal has greatly distorted the market now and Bell tried to take advantage of that when previously pick 6 was probably too much for a player that was already a 3 time prem player and traded in for a mid 2nd round pick and hasn't even made an AA team before... we can pay his money because we've got cap room and help facilitate his want to move back to melb for personal reasons... Bell hasn't made any friends at all..
Maybe if you want to pay market rates you should target uncontracted players???

oh completely... exceptionally greedy and west coast overpaid but also for one of the best players in the competition going to a competing team... that was their call and they agreed rather than go back and forth with geelong... their deal has greatly distorted the market now and Bell tried to take advantage of that when previously pick 6 was probably too much for a player that was already a 3 time prem player and traded in for a mid 2nd round pick and hasn't even made an AA team before... we can pay his money because we've got cap room and help facilitate his want to move back to melb for personal reasons... Bell hasn't made any friends at all..

If St Kilda rates him so lowly, why would they offer him a long term contract for 900K per year. Either they are trying desperately to get away with daylight robbery or your list management people are complete morons.

On second thought, it's likely both scenarios are true.

As for Bell not making any friends, did you ever think that he might not want to be friends with a pack of self entitled morons? That would be my initial reaction

I think the highlight for me today was the St Kilda guy that wrote up a mass of diatribe about the situation, calling it fact and claiming he was impartial. Well Tom Morris did that too but I'm talking about a BF poster. Then when it became clear that Morris' facts were completely wrong, he deleted his post.

that is kind of my point
The market informs it generally, but each deal is a stand-alone.

The Saints have hamstrung their capacity to make a deal a long way out from the final siren. They probably did that anyway with over-promising to the half a footy side they're trying to bring in, but nevertheless this move leaves plenty of time for another side in Melbourne to swoop in and pick up the best wing in the comp.

Of course he will, he's extremely smart and will do anything to make sure we win all our trades.
If every club had that mentality there would never be a single trade completed.

I doubt Hill ends up at the saints now. Bell is asking for waaaaaay more than he is worth. And Bell has the power in this situation.

He seems to be another Dodoro. Good luck with the rest of trade week

If every club had that mentality there would never be a single trade completed.

I doubt Hill ends up at the saints now. Bell is asking for waaaaaay more than he is worth. And Bell has the power in this situation.

He seems to be another Dodoro. Good luck with the rest of trade week
Thanks. Good luck to you. I think you guys are capable of landing a couple more Logan Austin type big fishies this trade period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not sold that the Saints are getting King. They might just flip us next years 1st & 12 to seal the deal. I recon this all falls over if it doesn’t happen this year.
The saints may or may not end up getting ben king. But no club would ever pay 2 firsts for Brad Hill

When did I enter the St.Kilda board?

Where's a mod when you need someone to take out the rubbish?

Seriously, what kind of an idiot do you have to be to go onto another club's board and the complain about that club because they refused to accept being bent over by a bunch of campaigners who have no coercive power in the situation? But yeah, apparently we're the bad guys because we want a fair deal and won't bend over to give a Victorian club a free ride.

I've seen housebricks with higher IQs

Where's a mod when you need someone to take out the rubbish?

Seriously, what kind of an idiot do you have to be to go onto another club's board and the complain about that club because they refused to accept being bent over by a bunch of campaigners who have no coercive power in the situation? But yeah, apparently we're the bad guys because we want a fair deal and won't bend over to give a Victorian club a free ride.

I've seen housebricks with higher IQs
Like it is honestly that annoying. Any Freo fans who go on the Saints board are just as bad as well. There is literally a freaking board for BRAD HILL. If you want to discuss him then go on there, let us be biased and delusional on our own board just like every other club is, including yours.

What did people think a fair deal for Hill would be prior to trade week? I thought 6 and a 2nd round pick was basically bang on. Think that could have been done pretty easily, not sure anyone came in really thinking he was worth two first round picks.
6 and Acres was like worst case scenario for me heading into this week.

Who would Melbourne rather have? Hill or Langdon? I reckon Hill. We tell Hill - sorry buddy, Saints ****ed up, you want to live in Melbourne, well then you're going to the Melbourne Footy Club.

3 and 22 for Hill and 26.

Langdon checked out Essendon - convince him to pick them instead. They'll get pick 5 from Sydney for Daniher.

Langdon, 22 and future 4th for 5.

Saints miss out.

Split 7 with GC for 15 and 20.

So we'll have 3,5,15,20,80

5 and 15 to Adelaide for 4 and 23

80 and 20 to Richmond for 38, McIntosh, Menadue (equivalent pick 39,80)

IF GWS want pick 3, make them find something worthwhile for us to hand it over to them. Say 6, and we can have two first round picks next year by getting their first to go with pick 6. Means in essence we've got 6 and another first rounder for Hill - he's just not at StK. :tearsofjoy:

So 4,6,23,38

Let's say Henry gets a bid at 10. We already have two top 6 talents. Then pick 10, with 20% discount = 1116. 23 is 815 points. 38 is 465 points. 23 and 38 = 1280 points, so we pay for Henry with 23 and 38, and have 164 points left. That gives us pick 59 back. It could be a better pick if he's bid on after pick 10 - eg bid at pick 18 = 788 points. We could pay for that with 23, have 27 points left over and bring 38 into 37. So instead of 59 after Henry, we'd have 37. Lots of permutations, but unlikely to go as far as pick 18. Pick 9-10 I guess would be worst case scenario, pick 17-18 best case. I just used 10 as the example, just in case.

4, 6, (23 + 38 = Henry), 59 + McIntosh (equivalent 39), Menadue (80).

4 - Stephens
6 - Flanders / Robertson / Ash
23+38 - Henry
59 - mature age back-up ruck (?)
Rookie - Sokol (?)
Cat B - Butters

SORR-TEDD! Go Belly :) :thumbsu:

Gain:
23 + 38 = Henry
Pick 59
McIntosh
Menadue
GWS 2020 First

Lose:
Hill
Langdon
Future 4th

Keep:
1 rookie pick
Possible Cat B (Butters)

All of that equals pick 2 to us.

Time to pop some collars. ;)

Last edited:
Like it is honestly that annoying. Any Freo fans who go on the Saints board are just as bad as well. There is literally a freaking board for BRAD HILL. If you want to discuss him then go on there, let us be biased and delusional on our own board just like every other club is, including yours.

Ummmm, check who my team is and read my post again. You might have missed something

What did people think a fair deal for Hill would be prior to trade week? I thought 6 and a 2nd round pick was basically bang on. Think that could have been done pretty easily, not sure anyone came in really thinking he was worth two first round picks.

I didn't think there was a fair deal for him.

He is a top 3 player at the club, under contract for 2 more years.

We don't have a reason to trade him (No Hogan we have to try and bring in) other than for draft capital. If we are to trade him for draft capital it needs to be worth it.

Losing Langdon and B.Hill is a massive kick in the dick.

Keep him for another 12 months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back