Adelaide sacks Burton and Camporeale, Chapman and Ricciuto survive

Remove this Banner Ad

living_in_syd

Norm Smith Medallist
May 2, 2009
sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
After giving consideration to the review findings, coupled with an overwhelming desire to refresh the football department under the leadership of a new Senior Coach, the Board has unanimously endorsed the following:
- a change to the leadership of the football department with Head of Football Brett Burton to depart the Club
- a change to the coaching structure with Senior Assistant Coach Scott Camporeale to also leave the organisation after spending nine years in the coaching department
- the creation of a new position, Head of Leadership and Culture, to deliver a new player leadership program across all areas of the football department, including AFL and AFLW
- some small changes within the high performance department to enhance role clarity and communication between staff, coaches and players

Fair on Burton he was useless, but what did Camporeale do? i thought he was alright as a fill in coach?

Fair on Burton he was useless, but what did Camporeale do? i thought he was alright as a fill in coach?

Has been around for 9 years, somehow survived several head coaches despite not being a particularly good coach. Midfield has been largely poor throughout his tenure.

There is no reason that a coach like him should last 9 years as an assistant without any real semblance of success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone explain how Burton was so awful at his job? Not saying he wasn't, but I'd love to know why and also how people outside the club know this.

As head of football, he was ultimately responsible for the infamous camp that players are now revealing "divided" the playing group.

On top of that, it was reported that not only was he responsible by merely being head of football, he actually contacted Collective Mind specifically to run the camp, having tried to work with them during his time at Brisbane.

Prior to that, he joined the club from Brisbane in a fitness role, having overseen a shocking run of injuries at Brisbane, which he then brought to Adelaide which we later had to fix by hiring Steve Saunders

Aside from being at the club for nearly 10 years which is far too long to hold one position, he was incapable of implementing decent midfield structures; turned hard nut junior players into soft, lazy, unaccountable one way runners; refused to think about any defensive elements of the game like proper tackling, defensive running, tagging; and was thought to be a chief instigator of stagnant, ultra-conservative selections

Sacking Burton was 100% the right thing. Was over his head at Brisbane and got hired because of his playing career at Adelaide and did a massive amount of damage.

Good move by Adelaide
Who was the one pushing for his hiring? And how did he survive?

Who was the one pushing for his hiring? And how did he survive?
Clubs fall in love with favourite sons. Add Riccuto who's pretty stubborn and fiercely loyal I think he stood by him way too long. Whoever appointed him needs to be questioned as well. I'm sure every Brisbane fan was celebrating him leaving

Love the salt. Enjoy another year of Hinkley.

Salt. such a s**t turn of phase which has become most prevalent on this site in the last few years.

Look your heirachy has finally done the obvious thing that your membership have been demanding. Good on them. And yes we'll have to wait another wasted year till the * heads running my football club are shown the door...... but the Dept of Kulcha? Please.

Aside from being at the club for nearly 10 years which is far too long to hold one position, he was incapable of implementing decent midfield structures; turned hard nut junior players into soft, lazy, unaccountable one way runners; refused to think about any defensive elements of the game like proper tackling, defensive running, tagging; and was thought to be a chief instigator of stagnant, ultra-conservative selections
No wonder Essendon supporters were hell bent on poaching him

BigFooty: Adelaide's culture sucks.

Adelaide: Agreed, we're creating a position at the club specifically for tackling this issue.

BigFooty: Adelaide dept of leadership and culture, what a joke.

lol.

I mean come on guys. At least we are actually doing something now. It might not work at all but it's still better than sticking our heads in the sand like we have been the last 2 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back