List Mgmt. Trade/Draft/Targets Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet our coach has a meeting with Zac Jones who will be on $500k ?

Our cap is tight but we are not getting rid of players like Butler,Menadue,Moore,Townsend due to cap but more for opportunity for the player if you dont see them as part of the future and we need list spots

Exactly not to mention we also offered Ellis to stay on, whilst we don’t know what he was offered, surely it was 400-450. Were not tight, we’re Leaving wiggle room

Are you accounting for us not recruiting a FA in the next 3y drafting anyone that looks as likely as what’s emerged from our last 2-3 draft crops
We have key players young enough to build the next side around
Like I said, unless we find a way to add star power. Can't see us adding a big free agent in the next 2-3 years as our salary cap will be stretched. And as goodm as our drafting has been, there are no Cotch or Dusty in there (both top 3 picks). That's the way equalisation is meant to work. Of course, we built our current list in a time of highly compromised drafts so it's not impossible. Anyway, well be up near the top for a couple of years yet and still finals bound for a longer while yet. :richmond:

I was referring only to Chapman.
Scott cut him too quickly.
A Norm Smith medallist.
It created ill feeling at time.
I remember speaking to Geelong fans, they were angry.
The axing of Chapman created the first signs of dissent, which we are seeing manifest now.
It was a lack of judgement.
Geelong fans may have been upset, but word has it Chapman was not very well liked by the playing group at Geelong

I have slowly come around to the Bennell thing since he was delisted, I was against him at first but if his off field issue's are not a concern then im ok with this
2 things need to be ticked off
1. Off field issue's ( Ross Lyon and a few other believe he is fine)
2. Calf's and this will be better known in a month but on min salary i dont see an issue
We simply don’t need him , forget it . Pickett has arrived and out of the premiership side we need to find a spot for stack and graham and others from our red hot vfl team will push up
Bennel stands in the way , his form at the level was that bloody long ago that legit Q Can be asked Is he capable of producing that again

Like I said, unless we find a way to add star power. Can't see us adding a big free agent in the next 2-3 years as our salary cap will be stretched. And as goodm as our drafting has been, there are no Cotch or Dusty in there (both top 3 picks). That's the way equalisation is meant to work. Of course, we built our current list in a time of highly compromised drafts so it's not impossible. Anyway, well be up near the top for a couple of years yet and still finals bound for a longer while yet. :richmond:
2021 many major contracts spill
Cotch
Jack
Rance
Also Prestia and caddy will be on new ones , not sure if at same rate
That will create a vacuum in the TPP that would support a FA coming in from 2022 , possibly earlier if flexible with contract backloading

We simply don’t need him , forget it . Pickett has arrived and out of the premiership side we need to find a spot for stack and graham and others from our red hot vfl team will push up
Bennel stands in the way , his form at the level was that bloody long ago that legit Q Can be asked Is he capable of producing that again
Bennel has the talent to be the best player in the comp. Itd be foolish to dismiss him purely on the basis that 'We don't need him'. Especially given what it'll cost to get him.

Whether he burnt his bridges with us last time or our medicos think he can get his calves right is another story....

I am thinking of the period in 2019 with Rance missing, Astbury out and Garthwaite was probably underdone. We were smashed by some key forwards.

Josh Walker has been delisted by Brisbane. Just turning 27, is 196cm, has a good leap, plenty of experience and is probably just not quite good enough to be a best 22 player anywhere. But he is no mug. Is he worth a rookie contract for us at least? Or does he just hamper the development of Balta, Garthwaite and any new key defenders we draft?

Also we have Beasely on the VFL list who does a great job for us there. It would just make me sleep a little easier knowing we had an adaptable mature player like Walker to call upon in the event of problems with Astbury in particular.

Interested in the thoughts of others on this possibility...

Last edited:
Bennel has the talent to be the best player in the comp. Itd be foolish to dismiss him purely on the basis that 'We don't need him'. Especially given what it'll cost to get him.

Whether he burnt his bridges with us last time or our medicos think he can get his calves right is another story....
You don’t think missing 4 seasons places a significant question mark on that . I’m not sure there is any precedent in WORLD sport at the elite level where a player has missed an extended period and seamlessly returned. Sporting graveyard is full of failed comebacks ,,,don’t waste our time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am thinking of the period in 2019 with Rance missing, Astbury out and Garthwaite was probably underdone. We were smashed by some key forwards.

Josh Walker has been delisted by Brisbane. Just turning 27, is 196cm, has a good leap, plenty of experience and is probably just not quite good enough to be a best 22 player anywhere. But he is no mug. Is he worth a rookie contract for us at least? Or does he just hamper the development of Balta, Garthwaite and any new key defenders we draft?

Also we have Beasely on the VFL list who does a great job for us there. It would just make me sleep a little easier knowing we had an adaptable mature player like Walker to call upon in the event of problems with Astbury in particular.

Josh Walker is putrid... That would be a massive backward step from us if that happened.
Beasley at least has a crack, just too small and too slow for AFL level.

You don’t think missing 4 seasons places a significant question mark on that . I’m not sure there is any precedent in WORLD sport at the elite level where a player has missed an extended period and seamlessly returned. Sporting graveyard is full of failed comebacks ,,,don’t waste our time
The difference is Bennel has been playing WAFL on and off for the duration and still in clubland. Not like he's coming out of retirement.

Andrew Krakeour played some good footy for the pies for a couple years and he was a year and a half older.

Ok so Hank Heavenly seems to be a bit undecided, what do others think? 😁

Lord no

The difference is Bennel has been playing WAFL on and off for the duration and still in clubland. Not like he's coming out of retirement.

Andrew Krakeour played some good footy for the pies for a couple years and he was a year and a half older.
Andy Krak did however he didn’t miss 4y of footy , bennel wouldn’t have played >12g at wafl

In terms of drafting, it's not often a quality key forward is found later in the draft.
Riewoldt & Lynch both early picks. Buddy, Roughhead, Josh Kennedy, Tom Boyd, Patton, etc - all drafted early.
Ben Brown the main exception that comes to mind. But later picks mostly tend to be a Callum Moore or Warren McKenzie (not sure if that's the correct name) who rarely make it.

Quality Key position defenders, seem more likely to be found later in the draft: Grimes, Astbury, possibly Garthwaite? I don't pay enough attention to other team's lists, but I'm pretty sure most of the best defenders weren't top 10 picks ( except Weitering ;))

It's because of this that I think Balta should be developed as a forward. Despite him looking better as a back, and possibly our next Rance, I think he (and CJ) are our current best bets as our future forwards.
Garthwaite, Miller, Chol, and other late or rookie picks are all capable of being decent enough in the backline.
Disagree in regards Balta becoming a fwd.Fwds are successful because it comes natural to them.
Balta is an athlete.Not a footballer.

Scott didn't manage player delistings very well, hope we learn from, that is all.
Chapman might have been disliked by some but helped them to win them a grand final.
Different personalities make up a team to be sure.
On the other hand, Scott has retained some sub-par players who have no right to be on their senior list.
Had a falling out too with Bartel who was one of their greatest ever players.

Scott didn't manage player delistings very well, hope we learn from, that is all.
Chapman might have been disliked by some but helped them to win them a grand final.
Different personalities make up a team to be sure.
On the other hand, Scott has retained some sub-par players who have no right to be on their senior list.
Had a falling out too with Bartel who was one of their greatest ever players.

also had a falling out with Bartels Mrs who was also made love to by all the players

Yeah that makes sense, but....

I want opposition melts dammit!

If one of our KPDs is not available. 1) I'd rather have Garth Kmac or Balta slot into the back line. Really think they would do better than early 2019 when they were thrown to the wolves. 2) Or shuffle our backline to resemble what it was this year. With Astbury, Broad, Grimes all playing tall, at times. Or ruckmen to drift back and mark. Got Miller back there as well. As it with Rance back some premiership winning player is not going to be playing much anyhow. I'd draft a tall KPD and get him in the system over the likes of Walker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back