List Mgmt. Carlton's 2019 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I've posted about him a lot over the past fortnight.

Basically I think he does a lot right and has a fair few attributes that will translate nicely at a higher level.

His pace is a weapon and he uses it effectively out of contested situations
He is very good defensively
He has clean hands in and out of the contest
He has a nice balance between contested and uncontested footy
He hits the scoreboard

His endurance is good, his disposal is generally very decent, though he is inconsistent and doesn't get a lot of the ball.

As an overall package I think he has real appeal alas it was not to be tonight.

I acknowledge I am no expert and I seem to be alone in rating him. But I would be surprised if he was overlooked completely.

We were linked to him on the AFL website during the week but I dare say we'll probably go with Webb over Honey for a rookie pick. Maybe we'll take two but we'll wait and see what happens tomorrow morning.

Over the past few weeks I have been big on Philp and on Honey. I guess I'll settle for a 50% hit rate.

Thanks for the rundown Jeremias. I’m relatively new to this site so hadn’t seen your previous posts. He sounds like an attractive prospect. Surprised he hasn’t been picked so far.

Okay....my conspiracy theory.

This year, we traded in Eddie to get the kiddies back to the game (although we all love him).

Now we've drafted in a couple of roosters who may get a few more of our female fans (and others of course) through the gates....although it looks like they'll be young guns.

Our gate receipts will go through the roof.

Conspiracy.....I think our marketing department had a say in our drafting this year :p

ok, I'll red card myself at this point before I get banned

1574944728594.png 1574944776572.png

Sorry people for my mini meltdowns that I have at roughly a rate of every second year at this time of the year. It really has more to do with my expectations than any objective appraisal of who we've picked up at this stage. It just seems unfinished and narrow focused to me, only having three selections and all of them being midfielders. I like Kemp at our first pick and would have jumped at the chance of drafting Philp if it had have been a Williamson kind of selection, it had actually came to mind that he could be a target with our final pick, whatever it was originally touted to have been. I had no idea he had been rated anywhere near high enough to be targeted as a late first rounder. As for Ramsey, I don't know, it's just seems like midfielder overkill. Just to show you where my head's at, Cooper Sharman or Callum park for our first Rookie, I don't think we'll get both.

Last edited:

"We made a decision that if the players we wanted to select that were going to take us forward were available then we would fill our list tonight. So we don't have a selection tomorrow in the pre-season draft," Gold Coast Suns list manager Craig Cameron said.

“It does (make a certainty of his move).

"We had discussions all the way through trade period and on going after that (with) decisions around whether we move money and all of that sort of thing and we got to the point where we considered that an option but it is also really important for our footy club to move forward and bring through guys who want to take the footy club forward.

"The other thing I would like to say is we want to wish Jack well, he's a 97-game player for the club and will forever be welcome back."

Nice to see that for all Craig’s bluster and arrogance about threatening to take Jack in the PSD, that he finally realised that he’d rather to have players who want to be at his football club. You just know that Gill is thinking to himself if anyone would notice if he made a quick rule change to set AFL lists at 41 players.

I might have missed something, but weren't we expected to upgrade Gibbo in this years draft?

To add onto the above, so in other words if I am understanding this correctly. They threatened to turn around and draft Jack Martin but in the end they ended up trading next years pick 11 for a pick 27 last night to fill their list to the maximum and ensure themselves that they can’t draft Jack Martin?

Wow, I love how little clue GC actually have.

Sorry people for my mini meltdowns that I have at roughly a rate of every second year at this time of the year. It really has more to do with my expectations than any objective appraisal of who we've picked up at this stage. It just seems unfinished and narrow focused to me, only having three selections and all of them being midfielders. I like Kemp at our first pick and would have jumped at the chance of drafting Philp if it had have been a Williamson kind of selection, it had actually came to mind that he could be a target with our final pick, whatever it was originally touted to have been. I had no idea he had been rated anywhere near high enough to be targeted as a late first rounder. As for Ramsey, I don't know, it's just seems like midfielder overkill. Just to show you where my head's at, Cooper Sharman or Callum park for our first Rookie, I don't think we'll get both.
Watching our twos ‘NB’ this year it was really evident that we not only lacked midfield depth but also speed through there as well many times I’d see us get slaughtered in centre and stoppage clearances with ease.. in general our list needs run and speed on all lines we didn’t get any dangerous small or medium goal kicking forwards that imo the list really needs but I’m happy with what we have addressed over this years draft & trade period. Maybe next year Papley and someone else can put the icing on top...

I'd have thought the pressure was more on Dow than LOB, who really put in some great performances in the back half of the year.
Can't wait to see LOB on one wing and Martin on the other next year.
And Newnes on the other wing and Setters on the 4th one. And Crippa, Walsh, Murph Stocker Dow filling the 3 mids. And Cunners Fish SPS Ramsay Gibbo Kennedy and Philp all getting a run through there. SOS tagging from time to time. Thank God Kemp isn’t available. Crippa would have to play VFL.

We now have.......too many players. Competent ones.

Damn you SOS. You’ve really messed this up. There are nowhere near enough duds on our list. We are at risk of getting a few injuries to good players......and having their spots filled by good players. It’s SO annoying.

"We made a decision that if the players we wanted to select that were going to take us forward were available then we would fill our list tonight. So we don't have a selection tomorrow in the pre-season draft," Gold Coast Suns list manager Craig Cameron said.

"We had discussions all the way through trade period and on going after that (with) decisions around whether we move money and all of that sort of thing and we got to the point where we considered that an option but it is also really important for our footy club to move forward and bring through guys who want to take the footy club forward.

"The other thing I would like to say is we want to wish Jack well, he's a 97-game player for the club and will forever be welcome back."

Nice to see that for all Craig’s bluster and arrogance about threatening to take Jack in the PSD, that he finally realised that he’d rather to have players who want to be at his football club. You just know that Gill is thinking to himself if anyone would notice if he made a quick rule change to set AFL lists at 41 players.
He’s not on record anywhere as saying he would. To my knowledge. His President did. But not him.

Really happy overall. Sorry for those who missed my sarcasm in my night one post.

Plenty of prospects I'd have drafted ahead of Philp but the reasoning behind the pick is sound. Glad we got in ahead of Richmond though who really have some of the best talent identifiers in the caper.

I love the Ramsay pick. He already has idemtifiable AFL-grade skills, some of which can't be taught to the level he has them. I can see him being a 200-gamer if the weaknesses in his skillset get covered over.

What I've read and heard is how professional and hard working all threevof our boys are. And that is often the difference between making it and not. Half the battle is already won.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will say that the AFL allowing that Jeremy Sharp trade to go through as is makes an absolute mockery of the draft. Practically the one pick in the draft that is locked in regardless of what happens for a mid-second round pick this year?

It's the type of trade that I feel arbitration was made for. 16 other AFL clubs have a right to be fuming at the disgrace of the Suns rescue package.

images

Gotta say I'm a fan of Steve Harrington's new haircut.

Wasn't it Cochrane who said all that?

I know his back half was brilliant as an insider.

But i think Ramsay has a lot of potential as a lock down then rebounding half backer. His work rate and foot skills would be huge in the back half.

Id be positioning myself in Simmos back pocket all pre season if I was him.

Never apologise.

Okay....my conspiracy theory.

This year, we traded in Eddie to get the kiddies back to the game (although we all love him).

Now we've drafted in a couple of roosters who may get a few more of our female fans (and others of course) through the gates....although it looks like they'll be young guns.

Our gate receipts will go through the roof.

Conspiracy.....I think our marketing department had a say in our drafting this year :p

ok, I'll red card myself at this point before I get banned

View attachment 786465View attachment 786466

Hot draftees definitely a deliberate strategy. They were selected by Cain Liddle to improve membership numbers.

That is why SOS is leaving. He wanted to draft for needs, but got overruled on a best-looking available approach.

Pretty sure.

Watching our twos ‘NB’ this year it was really evident that we not only lacked midfield depth but also speed through there as well many times I’d see us get slaughtered in centre and stoppage clearances with ease.. in general our list needs run and speed on all lines we didn’t get any dangerous small or medium goal kicking forwards that imo the list really needs but I’m happy with what we have addressed over this years draft & trade period. Maybe next year Papley and someone else can put the icing on top...

This is spot on. Watching the NB is painful with their lack of run and tedious ball movement, and it tends to reflect in the AFL squad too.

At least we'll have a more exciting VFL team next year which should hopefully translate to the AFL team in a few years.

This is spot on. Watching the NB is painful with their lack of run and tedious ball movement, and it tends to reflect in the AFL squad too.

At least we'll have a more exciting VFL team next year which should hopefully translate to the AFL team in a few years.
Painful but the way the opposition just ran away from us in games was embarrassing...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back