Mega Thread Potential future father-son selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if you recall that draft but I followed it actually quite closely and watched all the underage carnival games plus some more, and he was by far going to be the no1 pick in an open draft. I actually haven’t seen key forward dominance like it at junior level since. He had regularly 2 defenders on him and would just jump on top of them and take marks all day long. It was something you don’t see often. I always felt he didn’t achieve his full potential based off his junior ability. Probably born a key forward in the wrong era for his powerful type.

So where would the clear standout no1 key forward go in a bidding system?? Could have ended up like you said and a joe Danniher style at pick 7 bid, or earlier if a team is very keen. But for sure hit and miss to make it that far in a bid system given he was going no1.

From that draft we essentially got pick 1,7 from the first round on draft night.. was a dream result in a super draft
I didnt follow the draft as closely as you did but yeah what I remember seeing of him I thought he was going at least top2.
Man how lucky getting those 2 players in a flag year. Long term dead set guns and leaders.
Then with comprised drafts to come, no better time to be on the top.

Not sure if you recall that draft but I followed it actually quite closely and watched all the underage carnival games plus some more, and he was by far going to be the no1 pick in an open draft. I actually haven’t seen key forward dominance like it at junior level since. He had regularly 2 defenders on him and would just jump on top of them and take marks all day long. It was something you don’t see often. I always felt he didn’t achieve his full potential based off his junior ability. Probably born a key forward in the wrong era for his powerful type.

So where would the clear standout no1 key forward go in a bidding system?? Could have ended up like you said and a joe Danniher style at pick 7 bid, or earlier if a team is very keen. But for sure hit and miss to make it that far in a bid system given he was going no1.

From that draft we essentially got pick 1,7 from the first round on draft night.. was a dream result in a super draft

Yes I remember the draft and Hawkins being the big dominant forward .. and Gumbelton got picked by ESS at 2 ..and Hawkins treated Gumbelton with disdain. But Gibbs was also an extreme dominant player at the level wit high potential.. He and Sellar was talked up quiet a bit in that draft.. The example of Daniher is a fair one ..as his pedigree and potential was similar to Hawkins... and the bidding historically has shown teams do not pay overs for bid players they pay unders. Clubs rarely bid early on them. Id say we essentially got two top 5 players in Selwood and Hawkins ... its was a game changer. No wonder the others clubs ensured the system changed.
The simple truth is what we built our greatest era on ..is probably not repeatable. The fluke of having multiple tall Father Sons.. having an Ablett Hawkins Scarlett Blake Woolonough to draft , let alone having them up end talent wize is dream stuff. Compare it to now... one would have thought genetically Billy B might have delivered a 196cm etc. Jack Hawkins was 188 and in comes Tom at 198 ... Billy was 192 .. and Oscar .. 187...

Bryce Gibbs was having like 30 touches and 4 goal games in the SANFL while Hawkins played school footy. I don't think he was a lock for #1 but definitely top few.

Agreed but key forwards almost always get drafted rnd 1 if they are any good. Gibbs and Gumbleton were really rated as were Boak and Selwood but i think Hawkins would have gone #1 or #2.

Agreed but key forwards almost always get drafted rnd 1 if they are any good. Gibbs and Gumbleton were really rated as were Boak and Selwood but i think Hawkins would have gone #1 or #2.

I remember at the time, Kevin Sheehan saying that in an uncomprimised draft both Selwood and Hawkins should be in the top 3 picks of that year in his opinion.

Yes I remember the draft and Hawkins being the big dominant forward .. and Gumbelton got picked by ESS at 2 ..and Hawkins treated Gumbelton with disdain. But Gibbs was also an extreme dominant player at the level wit high potential.. He and Sellar was talked up quiet a bit in that draft.. The example of Daniher is a fair one ..as his pedigree and potential was similar to Hawkins... and the bidding historically has shown teams do not pay overs for bid players they pay unders. Clubs rarely bid early on them. Id say we essentially got two top 5 players in Selwood and Hawkins ... its was a game changer. No wonder the others clubs ensured the system changed.
The simple truth is what we built our greatest era on ..is probably not repeatable. The fluke of having multiple tall Father Sons.. having an Ablett Hawkins Scarlett Blake Woolonough to draft , let alone having them up end talent wize is dream stuff. Compare it to now... one would have thought genetically Billy B might have delivered a 196cm etc. Jack Hawkins was 188 and in comes Tom at 198 ... Billy was 192 .. and Oscar .. 187...
I remember reading the hype on young Tom and after being a Jack fan as a kid I was eager to see. First look was when they pulled him out of school footy and he played on Gumbleton who had a similar hype on him, in the champs. As you said, Tommy tore him a new one all day. It was mouthwatering stuff to a Cats fan. To get him where we did any wonder the rules changed. And after next years circus of a draft the rules will change yet again.

I remember at the time, Kevin Sheehan saying that in an uncomprimised draft both Selwood and Hawkins should be in the top 3 picks of that year in his opinion.
Mitch Thorpe will always be my favourite draft story.

I remember reading the hype on young Tom and after being a Jack fan as a kid I was eager to see. First look was when they pulled him out of school footy and he played on Gumbleton who had a similar hype on him, in the champs. As you said, Tommy tore him a new one all day. It was mouthwatering stuff to a Cats fan. To get him where we did any wonder the rules changed. And after next years circus of a draft the rules will change yet again.

I too was a Jack fan... great bloke to meet and talk to... and its not just what we paid for tom... it was getting Tom and Joel. These days with academy points etc probably gives one an insight into what we may have had to try to do .. trade out or trade into an earlier pick.... but with Tom hard to know how early would protect our R1 pick... we may have had to try to trade with Carlton to get R1.... and if we did... I wonder if we would have picked Joel..

Mitch Thorpe will always be my favourite draft story.
Thats sort of like Dermie at Syd. after 5 flags with Haw ... nice to see a tad of the struggle street bless his CV. Haw got plenty right at draft ..its probably a little bit unusual that they had a total miss. Seeing Joel at Haw thru that period would have been horrific viewing for the last decade and half...

Shows we havent had a really good FS for a while when we are think on Gibbs... LOL... who is our next FS..Kilpatrick?

This quote is from six years ago:

“From 1990s, when the club played in three unsuccessful Grand Finals, are John Barnes (James, 18, Jack, 19) Bill Brownless (Oscar, 14, Max, 8) Ronnie Burns (Brayden, 16, Tylar, 15) Paul Couch (Joe, 18) Ben Graham (Jack, 5) Garry Hocking (Lochlan, 13) Glenn Kilpatrick (Peter, 13, William, 11) Kent Kingsley (Boston, 1) David Mensch (Baxter, 13) Peter Riccardi (Oscar, 9, Boston, 6) Brad Sholl (Mitchell, 10, Campbell, 8) and Sean Simpson (Sam, 13).”

This quote is from six years ago:

“From 1990s, when the club played in three unsuccessful Grand Finals, are John Barnes (James, 18, Jack, 19) Bill Brownless (Oscar, 14, Max, 8) Ronnie Burns (Brayden, 16, Tylar, 15) Paul Couch (Joe, 18) Ben Graham (Jack, 5) Garry Hocking (Lochlan, 13) Glenn Kilpatrick (Peter, 13, William, 11) Kent Kingsley (Boston, 1) David Mensch (Baxter, 13) Peter Riccardi (Oscar, 9, Boston, 6) Brad Sholl (Mitchell, 10, Campbell, 8) and Sean Simpson (Sam, 13).”
So in the short term we have Kilpatrick, Riccardo, Sholl. Any of these lads in the elite systems at this stage ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if the 07-11 team will produce some F/S picks. I feel like a bunch of these guys are footy lifers that will raise their kids to be super guns.

Wake this thread up when someone is playing elite footy TAC cup Vic country level and dominating.

Keep getting excited when I see this bounce back up then I see another photo of a baby.

The cupboard must be pretty bare for a while if all we can post in here are players babies.

Do we have anything coming through the next few years that is genuine talent??

Why is he wearing North Melbourne colours?

It is a shawl that Jews wear.
I gave it to him.

* One or more of the above statements may not be factual.

Bryce Gibbs was having like 30 touches and 4 goal games in the SANFL while Hawkins played school footy. I don't think he was a lock for #1 but definitely top few.

I played against Gibbs in junior footy, he was a freak. Quite a few of the blokes I played with/against got drafted, but none were in Gibbs' league. I was there the day Gibbs had 30 and kicked 6 for Glenelg's SANFL league team. He's a bloke that's had a good AFL career, but I'd argue never got close to his potential.

Wil kilpatrick the son of Glen has made the Falcons list again.
Is he a father son draft chance?

According to this link he's only 18cm tall, so it's unlikely. But on a serious note, he played 13 games for the Falcons last year and averaged just nine disposals. I don't know what role he played, but I daresay he's got some work to do.

According to this link he's only 18cm tall, so it's unlikely. But on a serious note, he played 13 games for the Falcons last year and averaged just nine disposals. I don't know what role he played, but I daresay he's got some work to do.
That's pretty tall for an oyster.

20120524_091825_oyster_GALLERY.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back