Mega Thread Potential future father-son selections

Remove this Banner Ad

A father & son option we never knew about :think:

1st article (Fox Footy, from last year): For Calder, Jake Riccardi — son of Peter — racked up 16 disposals and two score assists.

2nd (AFL today discussing mid-season draft): Jake Riccardi, son of former Cat Peter, celebrates a goal for Werribee in R3 of the VFL.

Good to see no one bothers to fact check anymore and just trust that what someone else has posted is correct

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/cou...l/news-story/c57f24ae85bcd9b3fe4093f55ebe6358

https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-03/brothers-of-afl-stars-explayers-nominate-for-midseason-draft

They may have got their wires crossed, i remember looking into him last year and there was no mention of hi being a father son.

Yes and No. Yes Hawkins as a Father Son was just too much for the other clubs to stand after Ablett and Scarlett and Blake and the others..etc.

but then to get Hawkins and also be able to call Selwood with P7 just put those , that never seem to be able to have a FS in a state football apoplexy.

Never again would a club be able to double dip.

Not our fault 6 other clubs passed on Joel.

Baxter Mensch on the VFL list this year right? Be interesting to see if he still accumulates high possession numbers there
Baxter had about 8 disposals last weekend playing for his GFL club.

No but thats not the point...under the new system its unlikely that geelong would have had a R1 pick.. perhaps they traded it out but they would not be able to get an R1 player (Selwood ) and Hawkins
That may well be true, but if a club knows they have a gun F/S selection coming through, they generally trade in order to stockpile points.

That may well be true, but if a club knows they have a gun F/S selection coming through, they generally trade in order to stockpile points.

If we had a FS that was an expected R1 pick like Hawkins .. im sure we would attempt to trade out our R1 ..and perhaps trade in a couple of late R2 or laters.. as we did with Brownless approaching.

If we had a FS that was an expected R1 pick like Hawkins .. im sure we would attempt to trade out our R1 ..and perhaps trade in a couple of late R2 or laters.. as we did with Brownless approaching.
Is that what north did this year picking up the older guys at a possibly inflated cost coz they were assured of getting Taryn Thomas? Heard Scott defending their position earlier this week. Easy to look like a star or a mug in this game depending on the dubs.

Is that what north did this year picking up the older guys at a possibly inflated cost coz they were assured of getting Taryn Thomas? Heard Scott defending their position earlier this week. Easy to look like a star or a mug in this game depending on the dubs.

Not so much the older players..that was a choice of what they wanted to do with the pick.They trade out P11 and R4 2019 ... for Polac , Pittard and 48. The logic was that if they kept 11 it would have been used on TT. He went at 8 so the logic held. But they did not have to go for those players.. I suspect that was a little bit of being knocked back by several players when they tried to recruit them. I mentioned pre draft something like what Wc and Syd did.. they could have done something like that. They could have looked at trading that pick into next year. They could have tried to trade it for an earlier pick ..it was unlikely that TT would have gone at 6. What would the Dogs have want to trade 11 to 7 in the draft. Lots of things they could have done ..but they went the mature players ..cause I think they were hoping for a big improvement from them and they were sick of being knocked back.

Anyway ..if we ever get a Hawkins quality FS again.. which lets be frank is probably a once in 50 year thing.. we will not be getting two players like Selwood and Hawkins again.

Last edited:
Great article on the support system the club has for the Mothers of the future Father/Sons, Father/Daughters

But perhaps even more heartwarming than any future father-sons, or father-daughters now that Geelong has its own AFLW side, is that the baby boom has been an incredible bonding agent for the wives and partners of the current players. They say it takes a village to raise a child, but for these lucky mums, it only takes a footy club.
“I don’t have a mothers’ group; I don’t need one,” jokes Amie Rohan, wife of forward Gary Rohan and mum to Bella, 1. “We basically have our own team.”
“I can see it from both sides now,” Emma Hawkins, 31, laughs. “I remember when Tom was first at the club when we were 18 and there was a big baby boom, but that seemed so far removed from us.
“There were heaps of kids around in the Mooney and Wojcinski and Harley era, and then we had a break and now there is a big baby boom again, except we’re a part of it this time.
“I realise now we’re the adults that the young players are looking at, going, ‘God, they’re old’.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entert...m/news-story/0819d71a79792e2888aa5f83413f7eb9

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have been searching for a list of all possible future F/S chances. Have found articles from a few years back but nothing current. Apologies in advance if there is already a list available, if there is please point me in the right direction.

Cheers.

Have been searching for a list of all possible future F/S chances. Have found articles from a few years back but nothing current. Apologies in advance if there is already a list available, if there is please point me in the right direction.

Cheers.

Not sure of a list per se... But browse the last 12 months in here and youll see post referencing in no order...

Mensch
Brownless
Simpson
Hocking ( Lachie)
Kilpatrick

and there was one more off the top of my head but it escapes me currently.

GO Catters

Not sure of a list per se... But browse the last 12 months in here and youll see post referencing in no order...

Mensch
Brownless
Simpson
Hocking ( Lachie)
Kilpatrick

and there was one more off the top of my head but it escapes me currently.

GO Catters

Scott ? ...

Would be handy for a 200+ Fs to come from somewhere...

Considering the lack of F/S and NGA players available to us in what looks like the next 2 years does anybody know when or next Crop of Father Sons are coming through

Considering the lack of F/S and NGA players available to us in what looks like the next 2 years does anybody know when or next Crop of Father Sons are coming through
I don't, but can't wait to see what comes out of the 07 - 11 reproductive system.

He wasn’t just going a round 1 pick he was going THE no 1 pick if in that draft.

It would have been the highest points requirement in history of the system. No way we would have gotten away with pick no 1 points and plus find ourselves again with pick 7 without giving up something significant

Last edited:
He wasn’t just going a round 1 pick he was going THE no 1 pick if in that draft.

It would have been the highest points requirement in history of the system. No way we would have gotten away with pick no 1 points and plus find ourselves again with pick 7 without giving up something significant

Struth..May ? no wonder I could not remember the post ?

Clubs generally do not bid that early ... I doubt Hawkins would have been bid on at 1 ...we are talking the draft where Selwood slide to 7..so there was talent at the top... and clubs rarely bid at the real talent level they value the player.

Last edited:
Just a heads-up. If we draft a bloke called Jake Riccardi be aware he's not a father/son pick!

(Jake) Riccardi says Werribee senior coach Mark Williams and assistant coach Nick Daffy have been huge for his development since his arrival at Werribee.

He also credits his football-loving dad for his influence over his career.

For the record, Riccardi’s dad’s name is Tony, not former Geelong wingman Peter Riccardi. “It’d be good to put that one to bed right here, right now, that I’m not Peter Riccardi’s son and I’d like to apologise to him for all the times that I’ve been mentioned as his son” he said with a laugh.

“My dad’s name is Tony and he’ll be happy that he’s known as my dad instead of Peter.”

Struth..May ? no wonder I could not remember the post ?

Clubs generally do not bid that early ... I doubt Hawkins would have been bid on at 1 ...we are talking the draft where Selwood slide to 7..so there was talent at the top... and clubs rarely bid at the real talent level they value the player.

Not sure if you recall that draft but I followed it actually quite closely and watched all the underage carnival games plus some more, and he was by far going to be the no1 pick in an open draft. I actually haven’t seen key forward dominance like it at junior level since. He had regularly 2 defenders on him and would just jump on top of them and take marks all day long. It was something you don’t see often. I always felt he didn’t achieve his full potential based off his junior ability. Probably born a key forward in the wrong era for his powerful type.

So where would the clear standout no1 key forward go in a bidding system?? Could have ended up like you said and a joe Danniher style at pick 7 bid, or earlier if a team is very keen. But for sure hit and miss to make it that far in a bid system given he was going no1.

From that draft we essentially got pick 1,7 from the first round on draft night.. was a dream result in a super draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back