Mega Thread Potential future father-son selections

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd say Wayne Carey would have fathered a few kiddies 'on the sly'. At least Oscar Brownless doesn't have a dark unibrow and back hair. Although that would be controversial wouldn't it? If Garry Lyon fathered Oscar due to an affair with Nicky Brownless behind big Bill's back. Like Wayne Carey and Anthony Stevens' wife.

Hypothetically Melbourne could take him off us if that was the case, couldn't they?
I heard Oscar shaved his back for the physical.

True. My feelings are you'd have to raise a child from a very young age. Adopting older children and teens is more like fostering isn't it?
Surely it comes done to the legal status.
If a child is legally your son or daughter, then there would have to be legally binding exemptions if they were to exclude them.
Tricky.

Surely it comes done to the legal status.
If a child is legally your son or daughter, then there would have to be legally binding exemptions if they were to exclude them.
Tricky.

Yeah. I think they'd definitely draw the line at fostering though. I mean you could see a teenager with talent and arrange a 'fostership' where he'll be guaranteed to play for your club. That would clearly be exploiting the father/son rules and against the spirit of drafting.

Adopting a child from birth or at toddler stage, you wouldn't know the potential. I think that's the difference between adoption and fostering. Fostering shouldn't be allowed under the father/son rules for sure but adoption? I'm leaning towards 'yes'.

Yeah. I think they'd definitely draw the line at fostering though. I mean you could see a teenager with talent and arrange a 'fostership' where he'll be guaranteed to play for your club. That would clearly be exploiting the father/son rules and against the spirit of drafting.

Adopting a child from birth or at toddler stage, you wouldn't know the potential. I think that's the difference between adoption and fostering. Fostering shouldn't be allowed under the father/son rules for sure but adoption? I'm leaning towards 'yes'.
Sounds like it'd just be treated as draft tampering rather than worrying about intricacies of f/s rulings.

You are going down the rabbithole ... genetics and dna testing ..heavens knows whats capable in the future. The more this is being explored the more I have this gut feeling that the whole concept is doomed. We seemed to have moved a long way from its origins , ie. due to Barrassi's father being a casualty in war.

We seemed to have moved a long way from its origins , ie. due to Barrassi's father being a casualty in war.

Was that the origin? I didn't know that. I suppose the goalposts need to be moved to be more inclusive, and recognise that same sex couples are going to bob up even in the A.F.L at some point.

Has there ever been an adopted kid of a player knocked back? I know Matty Scarlett had a half-brother...

You are going down the rabbithole ... genetics and dna testing ..heavens knows whats capable in the future. The more this is being explored the more I have this gut feeling that the whole concept is doomed. We seemed to have moved a long way from its origins , ie. due to Barrassi's father being a casualty in war.
You might be right, but the fact remains that once adopted, a child is legally part of a family, with all the legal rights that come with it.
I doubt that they will go down the dna testing route.
But I can see them tweaking the rules, or even tossing them out if it all gets too hard.

Nah, they should never get rid of father/son. EVER. I've really enjoyed our father/son picks. They virtually built our spine for the Premiership Years (yeah, I recognise Blakey as part of that spine. His tapwork is criminaly underated in my opinion) and they've been bloody good to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

THE Geelong Cats clan has a new addition, with Corey and Renee Enright welcoming their first baby girl into the world yesterday afternoon.
Luna Clementine Enright is the third child and first daughter of former veteran player Corey Enright and his fashion stylist wife Renee Enright, joining three year-old Tex Marley and six year-old Boh Finley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back