Stopping the Tigers 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO there are 6 teams that can win the flag in 2020, 99% confident flag comes from one of them, Richmond is one of them and is probably deserving favourites but I would have the Eagles right there too. So we can win it, but certainly aren't unbeatable.

In terms of game patterns you simply must start well against Richmond and assert dominance early. If its a grind until halftime or 3 quarter time, Richmond generally break teams and are the best second half team I have seen in memory. Honestly the pattern is ridiculous how many games have gone like that since 2017, it's a close game and then Richmond win by 5 goals...

Burst out of the blocks, make us expend energy and capitalise on your momentum. Richmond sometimes struggle to stop teams on the surge.

We will make finals, but anything can happen on the day in a knockout final, so we are still going to be hugely challenged come September.

As a long time Tiger supporter who's lived through the glory years of the late '60's up to 1980 (and even '82 could be judged a successful year) and then the horror years from then right up to 2010 or so, threads like this make me think I've died and gone to heaven.

However, the reign of all teams comes to an end after a few years, so the Tigers will be stopped soon enough. What we have, apart from our few older guns is a team that's relentless in our running power and belief. We seem to be fitter than every other team, although that's probably just a perception. Given it's possibly only a perception, then oppo teams need to get in early to cut down the belief, just as Collingwood did in that 2018 prelim. Attack hard from the first bounce and wear yourselves out because if you don't you're gone.

Stopping Richmond - Easy Run faster , longer and tackle

Unless you have a team that has the personnel to do this they wont win , Controlling the ball in the air is great but not many teams have the kicking skills along with marking power to carry this game plan out for 4 quarters and when it rains this plan goes out the window.

Run Run Run & Tackle

Beat them in the air

As a Richmond supporter I would agree The games that we looked weakest was when opposition teams could Dominate in contested marking
its best seen watching the dogs game where naughton dominated us

People said similar in 2018, and they looked that way until they got smashed in the prelim.

They’re definitely beatable.
I think headspace wise they were more resilient in 19 than 18. The matches against WC, Cats and Lions were all looking like they were going to be beaten and I reckon they would’ve lost those games in 18, but they refused to lay down. Whether they can repeat that next year is the question.

We seem to have some quality young players coming up so that could ensure there is plenty of hunger and competition for spots. But any team is beatable, I think the Eagles should be favourites in 2020 and I know the dogs can beat us.

That Richmond game late in season v West Coast was interesting.

Eagles started like a shot out of a gun with long kicks to their key forwards and had a thumping lead early in what looked like echoes of the prelim v the Pies.
Yet after quarter time, tigers tightened the screws and slowly strangled the Eagles.

Game perhaps though gave a glimpse of how they can be beaten.

Of course it's one thing to design a plan to win, another to actually have the skills to execute
When on, WC is definitely the team that we have the most trouble with. They are probably the best kicking team in the competition and they are able to kick-mark their way up the ground regularly. It goes without saying that it’s difficult for us to apply manic pressure to a team who keeps taking marks. This is the blueprint to truly beat us imo - if you were to build a team specifically to beat Richmond (without just picking the best 22 possible), you’d pick a team of excellent kicks and build a gameplan around that. You could create a team that doesn’t look too much better than ours on paper, but beat the s**t out of us on the field

The other way to beat us is to just beat us at our own game - that’s what happened in the 2018 prelim, and it’s what works best for most teams as I think you need a team filled with very good kicks to execute West Coast’s style.

That doesn’t rule out teams finding a different way though, that’s just the two that definitely work.

We seem to have some quality young players coming up so that could ensure there is plenty of hunger and competition for spots. But any team is beatable, I think the Eagles should be favourites in 2020 and I know the dogs can beat us.
Agree with both

Eagles are a quality team and will be improved with Kelly and the Doggies imo are going to be the big improvers and will finish top 4
Doggies have a very very good list and now have the depth and game plan to match richmond

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tactically I would man up their extra numbers behind the ball and kick long and early forcing them to defend with even numbers because what they do is pressure you at the ball and force you to either kick to an outnumber or try to run through the pressure and turn it over. Then they run it out with their speed and extra numbers and you spare players in defense are less effective because they run the ball quickly and get their spares from defense forward.

What this does is first you have a better chance to score but secondly their run from the backline slows down because they don't have spare players to run it out and you don't turn it over in the midfield because your getting it forward before they can.

The downside is that you cant have numbers behind the ball yourself.

Their season could have easily derailed last year, they were basically counted out until their dream run at the G. And look what happened in 2018, they were a shoe in and completely collasped against the Pies. They are not unbeatable. I'd have them favourites based purely on the fact they won the flag and we haven't seen teams play in 2020 yet.

I can see the Giants being a powerhouse next year, they would have some major wounds that need healing. WC will be dangerous, Lions maybe, Dogs maybe.

Their season could have easily derailed last year, they were basically counted out until their dream run at the G. And look what happened in 2018, they were a shoe in and completely collasped against the Pies. They are not unbeatable. I'd have them favourites based purely on the fact they won the flag and we haven't seen teams play in 2020 yet.
What do you mean could easily have been derailed?
The entire first half of the year we were running on the worst railway in Australia (which is saying something) while taking side on impacts the whole time.

Sure, if we didn’t get our full complement of home games for the year like everyone else we might have been ****ed. But I wouldn’t call that fair, not ‘easily derailed’

What do you mean could easily have been derailed?
The entire first half of the year we were running on the worst railway in Australia (which is saying something) while taking side on impacts the whole time.

Sure, if we didn’t get our full complement of home games for the year like everyone else we might have been f’ed. But I wouldn’t call that fair, not ‘easily derailed’

Considering everyone had written you off completely after the injuries, you needed everything to come right at the exact right time and you did. It could have not too.

Considering everyone had written you off completely after the injuries, you needed everything to come right at the exact right time and you did. It could have not too.
Correct, I wouldn’t call that easily derailed though.
In the 2nd half of the season we were BY FAR the best performed team. 12-0. Correct me if I’m wrong but everyone else lost at least 3 games post-bye.
If we lose one, we don’t win the flag and you could say our season was ‘easily derailed’
But it took the entire s**t show of the first half of the year to get to that point. If things go remotely right in the first half of the year, we could’ve dropped a game or two in the run home no problem at all.
Reality - it took a lot to get close to derailing us in 2019, we’ve had the best record in each of the last 3 seasons and won 2 flags. We have been the best team of the last 3 years. That doesn’t mean we’ll be the best team of 2020 in any way, but it means if it isn’t us, someone’s going to have to go past us. To do that, clubs can either rely on us falling on our face (a distinct possibility, not one I’d rely on as a multimillion dollar sports club though), or can find a way to stop/beat us. As I posted earlier in the thread, I reckon your team has the best method to do so. Both in theory and in practice your style has been the biggest concern for us.

The main thing I notice about them is their speed. Yeah they've got their leaders in Lynch, Reiwoldt, Martin, and Cotchin, but nearly all teams have champs similar to that in the team. The main difference to me is their very fast running players, like Rioli. They just accelerate away and leave oppos looking like they're running in sand

Probably would’ve won by 10 goals if we weren’t down a player from the first quarter and a flood of biblical proportions didn’t occur after quarter time.

Still, Richmond did amazingly well in those conditions to come back from 7 goals down and handled the conditions much better.

Didn't rain until after the second quarter was finished, which was the quarter we dominated and pegged the lead back.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

Geelong's first half in the Prelim I rate far better than the Eagles first quarter against us. If you want a blue print on how to beat us then I'd look to Geelong's game but as usual its whether you can keep it going and no team could when we got our game going.

That's the truth, I also think people overate the Eagles game against us, talk of smashing us in the dry .. wrong, talk of losing their tagger early .. wrong (plus that particular tagger went to Prestia in the first half not Dusty) also West Coast kicked extremely accurate all day even when it started to rain after half time, where we missed some dead set sitters, game was a cracker but the Eagles were lucky to only lose by a kick.

Where by the Prelim v Geelong, the cats ran circles around us for the entire first half, in fact if they had taken their chances then we wouldn't have even got a sniff. Geelong ran hard and were much hungrier than us, so much so it had glimpses of the 2018 Prelim v Collingwood. Cats blue print better by a mile.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back