How can this St Kilda Side be Stopped?

Remove this Banner Ad

King, Steele, maybe Membrey... not sure I'd count the others. Collingwood, hate to say it, but were more wounded all things considered and still got the chocolates.
The Saints will be better for the run against such quality opposition. Needed to adjust to the pace, learn to take the first option in a game like that- a good learning experience for their youngsters.
Pies are one of the teams to beat this year but if I were a st kilda supporter, I’d be feeling pretty pleased.

The Saints will be better for the run against such quality opposition. Needed to adjust to the pace, learn to take the first option in a game like that- a good learning experience for their youngsters.
Pies are one of the teams to beat this year but if I were a st kilda supporter, I’d be feeling pretty pleased.
No doubt, I just don't buy into the idea that the Saints are that far off full strength. They have a few obvious outs, the rest are probably now depth at best as they've been supplanted by younger and more talented players.

Yep, I thought it was a good performance, shows the game plan is adaptable, Im not stressed.
its a marathon not a sprint.

Last edited:
No doubt, I just don't buy into the idea that the Saints are that far off full strength. They have a few obvious outs, the rest are probably now depth at best as they've been supplanted by younger and more talented players.
They have some very good young talent.
I think the comp is now taking notice of how good these kids are.
Philipou especially looks like clubs will regret passing on him.

And, although he didn’t have a great day yesterday-Owens- he’s going to be very good for them.

He looks like he's playing with a big chip on his shoulder. Like he's motivated to say "* you' to the clubs that didn't take him.

See how long he (and the club as a whole) can maintain the rage.

Saints are 5 games into the new regime, Pies 1 year + 5 games, so you could say the saints are tracking well. Still plenty of upside. Forwards coming back will be very welcome.

Pies look fearsome. The 1st qtr pressure was fantastic, and the saints coped. Pies are so attacking, it's intimidating for oppo, their defenders push up a lot, no space. The number of saints interupted kicks and handballs was incredible.

Ross did the comp a favour by showing the required tactics to at least slow down the pies. Not sure how many teams have the capability though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He looks like he's playing with a big chip on his shoulder. Like he's motivated to say "* you' to the clubs that didn't take him.

See how long he (and the club as a whole) can maintain the rage.
Looks like he is the type of character who wants to be number 1. Nothing wrong with that. He looks motivated and can play. Seems to be going about his thing and importantly, looks like a very damaging player and will bring people in to watch him play.

I'd love him at the Pies. Cadman and Phillipou would be ideal.

And, although he didn’t have a great day yesterday-Owens- he’s going to be very good for them.
Owens was held so much yesterday he looked more like luggage.
1/2 decent umps would have called a few of them, but when an entire team struggles to get more than 6 frees in 3/12 qtrs.

Yep, bigtime. It was very apparent that we struggled to handle the extra heat and pressure of the game, against a very high quality opponent, who were significantly older and more experienced than us (both in terms of games played individually, and also experience in finals-like games, like that was), which resulted is us committing turnover after turnover after turnover. Many of them unforced. Was almost laughable at times.

Collingwood played loads of games like that last year and have guys like Pendles and Sidebottom who have been playing them for years, and they just handled the whole situation better than we did.

To have pinched it would have been amazing, but I fully expect that that experience will do wonders for us going forward. One game like that would be worth 10 regular ones for the young ones who aren’t used to them.

Yep, bigtime. It was very apparent that we struggled to handle the extra heat and pressure of the game, against a very high quality opponent, who were significantly older and more experienced than us (both in terms of games played individually, and also experience in finals-like games, like that was), which resulted is us committing turnover after turnover after turnover. Many of them unforced. Was almost laughable at times.

Collingwood played loads of games like that last year and have guys like Pendles and Sidebottom who have been playing them for years, and they just handled the whole situation better than we did.

To have pinched it would have been amazing, but I fully expect that that experience will do wonders for us going forward. One game like that would be worth 10 regular ones for the young ones who aren’t used to them.
Yep- spot on.

One of the Carlton fans posted that your team's have Injuries in the back 6?

Who are they? Weitering? McGovern??
Saad and Mcgovern in doubt, Williams and Docherty definitely out.

Won't get close if they are all missing outside of some sort of superhuman performance from the midfield.

Saad and Mcgovern in doubt, Williams and Docherty definitely out.

Won't get close if they are all missing outside of some sort of superhuman performance from the midfield.
Well you got the twin towers of McKay and Curnow up front.

Would you trade any of Saad or McGovern or Williams or Docherty to bring back in exchange for one of the twin towers out?

Well you got the twin towers of McKay and Curnow up front.

Would you trade any of Saad or McGovern or Williams or Docherty to bring back in exchange for one of the twin towers out?
I don't have to make a trade... We're missing our whole half back line and most of our drive around the ground. Twin towers are no use if the ball doesn't make it to them.

If all 4 of them end up missing we are almost 0 chance of winning, not too hard to comprehend.

Pies far more decimated by injuries, and you still couldn’t beat us, despite being gifted at least 4 goals by the umpires. Thought you barracked for the Demons Adam?
love this, we only had 3 frees till 1/2 time, pies 9, and had 6 frees till 1/2 wat through the 3rd, but apparently, we got gifted......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back