How can this St Kilda Side be Stopped?

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there another Membrey that plays for StKilda?

One of the best forwards in the AFL.
Saw a bunch of people laughing at this comment, so just wanted to pick up on this discussion about Membrey.

Take out Cameron Lynch and Hawkins as your best 3 forwards for the past half decade.

I know the bottom is not a complete list, and players are impacted by injury / play different roles. But against players who are broadly his peers (not genuine no.1 monster KPF's, but forwards who play tallish and spend most of their time in the front half), this is their goal totals post 2016 (not including 2023):

J.Riewoldt - 320
Darling – 300
Bruest - 257
Membrey – 239
Greene – 231
Stringer – 210
Hipwood - 188
Hogan – 181
Heeney - 181
Gray - 181
Fritch - 173
Mihochek – 165
Naughton – 147
Zurhaar - 113
McStay - 112

I am sure there are plenty of others I have missed, and anyone could say player x does not strictly fit the role I am describing. And I know goals are not the be all and end all. But at a cursory look, he stacks up pretty damn well against some other damn good forwards over a long period. Especially given how crap we have been.

He might not have the Colemans or AA’s that some of these players have (one off big years). But covers a lot of genuine guns for consistency

Members really is a big out for us

Last edited:
I don't have to make a trade... We're missing our whole half back line and most of our drive around the ground. Twin towers are no use if the ball doesn't make it to them.

If all 4 of them end up missing we are almost 0 chance of winning, not too hard to comprehend.
Even if you have Injuries on your back flanks or back pockets, can't you use some of your mids to fill those spots?

He might not have the Colemans or AA’s that some of these players have (one off big years). But covers a lot of genuine guns for consistency

The best way to demonstrate his worth is best and fairest results

2016 - 9th
2018- 8th
2019- 5th
2021- 3rd
2022- 4th

12th on the all-time goal kicking list at St Kilda, and should easily be top 6 by the end of his career, given he's only 51 goals behind Barry Breen, currently 6th, and he's averaged 35 a year for the past 7 years.

With King emerging and grabbing the lion's share of attention (or is that Lyon's share? Sorry, couldn't help myself....), Membrey should remain a key cog in the St Kilda forward line, working up the ground, providing a link in the chain but still kicking plenty of goals. Membrey has shown the ability to do that over the past couple of years, demonstrated by career best inside 50s of 66 and 69 the last 2 years and career high disposal counts (312 and 313), while still kicking 34 each year.

A quality mid sized forward that any other club would love to sign and put straight into their starting team.

If Caminiti continues to emerge as Saints fans are hoping, Membrey will become the 3rd marking target and what a potent forward line St Kilda will have, with those 3 plus emerging guns Owens and Poo at half forward, then Higgins and Butler doing the crumbing, with Gresham and Marshall pushing forward on occasions.

That has potential to be an embarrassment of riches in a year or two's time.

Last edited:
Any team can be stopped but I do expect St Kilda to make finals this year.
They play Nth, Suns and Hawks twice, so there are six wins just there.
They are very well coached, have banked wins with players out and should be there come September.

I don't think they will threaten come finals (this year) but there is alot to like with them.

Saw a bunch of people laughing at this comment, so just wanted to pick up on this discussion about Membrey.

Take out Cameron Lynch and Hawkins as your best 3 forwards for the past half decade.

I know the bottom is not a complete list, and players are impacted by injury / play different roles. But against players who are broadly his peers (not genuine no.1 monster KPF's, but forwards who play tallish and spend most of their time in the front half), this is their goal totals post 2016 (not including 2023):

J.Riewoldt - 320
Darling – 300
Bruest - 257
Membrey – 239
Greene – 231
Stringer – 210
Hipwood - 188
Hogan – 181
Heeney - 181
Gray - 181
Fritch - 173
Mihochek – 165
Naughton – 147
Zurhaar - 113
McStay - 112

I am sure there are plenty of others I have missed, and anyone could say player x does not strictly fit the role I am describing. And I know goals are not the be all and end all. But at a cursory look, he stacks up pretty damn well against some other damn good forwards over a long period. Especially given how crap we have been.

I agree, he is an important player and a big out. Also spent some time plugging holes on the backline last year.

*As a sidenote, Mihocek commenced mid 2018 (with 4 or 5 yrs less AFL experience).

The best way to demonstrate his worth is best and fairest results

2016 - 9th
2018- 8th
2019- 5th
2021- 3rd
2022- 4th

12th on the all-time goal kicking list at St Kilda, and should easily be top 6 by the end of his career, given he's only 51 goals behind Barry Breen, currently 6th, and he's averaged 35 a year for the past 7 years.

With King emerging and grabbing the lion's share of attention (or is that Lyon's share? Sorry, couldn't help myself....), Membrey should remain a key cog in the St Kilda forward line, working up the ground, providing a link in the chain but still kicking plenty of goals. Membrey has shown the ability to do that over the past couple of years, demonstrated by career best inside 50s of 66 and 69 the last 2 years and career high disposal counts (312 and 313), while still kicking 34 each year.

A quality mid sized forward that any other club would love to sign and put straight into their starting team.

If Caminiti continues to emerge as Saints fans are hoping, Membrey will become the 3rd marking target and what a potent forward line St Kilda will have, with those 3 plus emerging guns Owens and Poo at half forward, then Higgins and Butler doing the crumbing, with Gresham and Marshall pushing forward on occasions.

That has potential to be an embarrassment of riches in a year or two's time.
I think you are right. There's the thread about the youth of North and Hawthorn, but really doesn't actually mean much at all when there are clubs like St Kilda who are pushing finals and seem to have better quality kids. Sydney apparently had the youngest team on the field for the round and are just on another level.

No wonder Sandringham are 18th with key players Zak Jones and Jack Billings unavailable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s the thing. Still got the chocolates despite not having their two ruckmen out there, then losing their KPF in the first quarter.

Ow, having their best player in Jordan de Goey be a late out almost makes a difference.

Love how people love clutching at straws and saying we were near full strength.

Can’t wait to see the Saints actually face a proper side this season so they get a proper wake up call.
And Howe was out and Lipinski also out…

Steele Captain best player
King
Membrey
Billings
Coffield
Webster
Jones
Hayes
McKenzie
Steele, King and Membrey are the only proven players that have performed for you. The others would probably struggle to get a game in the St Kilda team.

We had Cameron, Cox, JDG, Howe, Lipinski, McStay (basically didn’t play).

When you lose all your ruckman, you can’t simply pull another out. Changes the whole structure of the team.

Last edited:
Steele, King and Membrey are the only proven players that have performed for you. The others would probably struggle to get a game in the St Kilda team.

We had Cameron, Cox, JDG, Howe, Lipinski, McStay (basically didn’t play).

When you lose all your ruckman, you can’t simply pull another out. Changes the whole structure of the team.

McKenzie is certainly in the best 22 from that list. However, from all reports his career may be done with because of consistent calf issues.

For the others you are correct, we would hope Coffield would force his way in though and it would also be good to see how Billings goes under a good coach.

With that said it's also been about the backups being unavailable.

Hayes, for example, is touch and go best 22 but if he was available right now he would get a game over Cordy every day of the week.

Last edited:
McKenzie is certainly in the best 22 from that list. However, from all reports his career may be done with because of consistent calf issues.

For the others you are correct, we would hope Coffield would force his way in though and it would also be good to see how Billings goes under a good coach.

With that said it's also been about the backups being unavailable.

Hayes, for example, is touch and go best 22 but if he was available right now he would get a game over Cordy every day of the week.
But wouldn’t Cordy be replaced by Membrey already?

Feels like there’s abit of double dipping by some folk to make the injury list look bigger than it would be to impact the best 22. Not pointing the finger at you in particular, but not everyone on that injury list makes the 22.

But wouldn’t Cordy be replaced by Membrey already?

Feels like there’s abit of double dipping by some folk to make the injury list look bigger than it would be to impact the best 22. Not pointing the finger at you in particular, but not everyone on that injury list makes the 22.

Yeah, he would be but my point was he would have played every game until now and would probably play until King came back.

Same with the mids, with Steele out it would have been handy to have Jones who's also only borderline best 22 but he's good backup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back