How can this St Kilda Side be Stopped?

Remove this Banner Ad

You can’t play 30 players every week. A team that’s 4-1 and on top of the ladder after several years of middling is a lot closer to full strength than you’d think.
I think I get what you’re saying, but even still, Saints have at least 3 of their top flight players out, all who play in important structural positions (not to mention Steele’s leadership).

So even with just 3 out, that itself puts them way off being at full strength.

Yeah, he would be but my point was he would have played every game until now and would probably play until King came back.

Same with the mids, with Steele out it would have been handy to have Jones who's also only borderline best 22 but he's good backup.
I getcha, because to this day 2018 still burns me that we lost a Grand Final having to use Goldsack at FB on Kennedy because Dunn had done his ACL, we’d also lost Scharenberg to an ACL, Ben Reid was physically cooked and Darcy Moore was also having soft tissue injuries. It was all in the KPD stocks that meant Darling and Kennedy got to play their games whilst their ruckmen rested forward and stretched us further.

Similar at the moment with Collingwood’s ruck stocks where Cameron AND Cox are out injured, then the back up in Aiden Begg is also injured, you’ve got makeshift ruckmen in McStay and Krueger who are capable of covering but also copping injuries. It’s frustrating.

But wouldn’t Cordy be replaced by Membrey already?

Feels like there’s abit of double dipping by some folk to make the injury list look bigger than it would be to impact the best 22. Not pointing the finger at you in particular, but not everyone on that injury list makes the 22.

Part of it is also based on last year.

As in, last year, almost all of our current injured players were in our best 22. Billings, Jones, Mackenzie, Webster, Membrey, King etc. So a lot was made of the injuries.

The fact that some of them are now no longer in our best 22 is more a testament to the game plan and the recruiting we did in the off season.

We've done well in spite of it.

And regarding Cordy - yeah probably backup for Membrey. We're also down a second ruck/forward (like Paddy Ryder/Jack Hayes) which Cordy has filled pretty well so far. Membrey's not much of a ruck, but we've seen in the last few weeks Mitch Owens can ruck forward if needed.

Feels like there’s abit of double dipping by some folk to make the injury list look bigger than it would be to impact the best 22. Not pointing the finger at you in particular, but not everyone on that injury list makes the 22.

ok lets go another way

Steele Captain - plays
King - plays
Membrey - plays
Billings - played all games 2020 2021 didn't play until rnd9 2022 with injury and again injured in rnd19
Coffield - 5th in the 2020 b&f had a poor start to 2021 but worked his way back and did his knee 2022 preseason
Webster - plays
Jones - maybe isn't best 22, but is a point of difference to the rest of our mids
Hayes - SPP 2022 -played 3 games dod knee is a KPP/2nd ruck, 3 pretty good games
McKenzie - has played all games in 2021 and 2022 when wasn't injured

are they all best 22, its hard to say under Ross, but they were all best 22 under Ratten
will they be best 22 under Ross, apart from the 4, they will all have to return through the VFL, but ALL are capable of being best 22

how do you fit King Membrey and Hayes into our fwd line? I see Caminiti and Hayes competing for the same spot, Cordy out but then one of Owens or Phillapou would miss as well, both who play through the middle atm as well

Mckenzie I know not many know, was our best winger, hard running and always 1st back in defense to help out, has lost his spot to Wood now, and Ross loves Hill so probably 2nd string, but more than capable of best 22

Billings is a classy player 152 games, was easily or best at the start of 2021, and has been hampered since, but again plays that HFF/wing role and competes with Ownes, Phillapou and Byrnes, easily doing a few roles off the bench as well

so it comes down to the kids smashing it
Owens 12 games
Phillapou - 5 games
Caminiti - 5 games
Byres (33)/Bytel(19)/Patton(60)
and Cordy

it's a great place to be in, the kids have proven themselves but were pretty much raw prior to this year
a few will disagree with me but the 4 plus Billings are best 22

then we have the options
do we stick with 2 talls King Caminiti/Hayes, Membrey do we prefer Hayes who can ruck or are we better off with Caminiti as a pure fwd and continue with Owens (only 191) ruck.

We haven't even been able to explore these scenarios due to how long these blokes have been injured

ok lets go another way

Steele Captain - plays
King - plays
Membrey - plays
Billings - played all games 2020 2021 didn't play until rnd9 2022 with injury and again injured in rnd19
Coffield - 5th in the 2020 b&f had a poor start to 2021 but worked his way back and did his knee 2022 preseason
Webster - plays
Jones - maybe isn't best 22, but is a point of difference to the rest of our mids
Hayes - SPP 2022 -played 3 games dod knee is a KPP/2nd ruck, 3 pretty good games

are they all best 22, its hard to say under Ross, but they were all best 22 under Ratten
will they be best 22 under Ross, apart from the 4, they will all have to return through the VFL, but ALL are capable of being best 22

how do you fit King Membrey and Hayes into our fwd line? I see Caminiti and Hayes competing for the same spot, Cordy out but then one of Owens or Phillapou would miss as well, both who play through the middle atm as well

Mckenzie I know not many know, was our best winger, hard running and always 1st back in defense to help out, has lost his spot to Wood now, and Ross loves Hill so probably 2nd string, but more than capable of best 22

Billings is a classy player 152 games, was easily or best at the start of 2021, and has been hampered since, but again plays that HFF/wing role and competes with Ownes, Phillapou and Byrnes, easily doing a few roles off the bench as well

Owens 12 games
Phillapou - 5 games
Caminiti - 5 games
and Cordy

it's a great place to be in, the kids have proven themselves but were pretty much raw prior to this year

then we have the options
do we stick with 2 talls King Caminiti/Hayes, Membrey do we prefer Hayes who can ruck or are we better off with Caminiti as a pure fwd and continue with Owens (only 191) ruck.

We haven't even been able to explore these scenarios due to how long these blokes have been injured

Good summary. I'm not sure about Billings and Mackenzie though. If we had King and Membrey back in the squad tomorrow, I'd probably prefer us putting Owens and Philippou in the midfield, with Caminiti the third tall.

Jones is cooked and probably never plays again for us.

Hayes was very unlucky to get injured when he did and probably struggles to get into the team again.

Cooper Sharman must have driven over Ross's cat because he never even gets mentioned.

A midfield of Seb, Crouch, Steele, Owens, Philippou and Wood would be amazing if we can ever get everyone back.

Steele to replace Bytel
King would replace Caminiti
Membrey would replace Cordy
MacKenzie would replace Byrnes
Coffield / Webster would replace Patton
Billings could replace Butler
Jones could replace Windhager
Close to a third of our likely best 22 missing

Saints will only get better as the season continues with players coming back

Pies outs are nowhere near the Saints outs in terms of improving team performance

Steele to replace Bytel
King would replace Caminiti
Membrey would replace Cordy
MacKenzie would replace Byrnes
Coffield / Webster would replace Patton
Billings could replace Butler
Jones could replace Windhager
Close to a third of our likely best 22 missing

Saints will only get better as the season continues with players coming back

Pies outs are nowhere near the Saints outs in terms of improving team performance
I’d say across the season the saints impact maybe slightly worse, but on last weeks game, it would be on par if not pies being worse hit.

You can’t play 30 players every week. A team that’s 4-1 and on top of the ladder after several years of middling is a lot closer to full strength than you’d think.
Almost full strength just minus the there best midfielder/captain and there best two forwards . Our main Forwards this season have all played less than 20 games it’s a miracle we were even competitive with a team like Collingwood really it’s a very good sign

Almost full strength just minus the there best midfielder/captain and there best two forwards . Our main Forwards this season have all played less than 20 games it’s a miracle we were even competitive with a team like Collingwood really it’s a very good sign
Spot on

If you go back to round 1 and tell Saints fans- Steele will miss 3 of the first 5, and the forward line will be Caminiti, Owens, Philopou, Cordy, Higgins and Butler for the first 5 games- and we'll be 4-1 with a massive percentage and the sole loss being by a goal- even the most optimistic Saints fan would've said "highly unlikely".

I think the other outs are not as significant- yes McKenzie, Webster, Coffield are all probably best 22 (if you can fit them in the backline which would be a squeeze if all healthy), plus Jones too. But some of the replacements like Stocker, Paton, Byrnes are doing alright- so I'm not convinced those absences are a huge net loss for St Kilda.

But missing Steele, King and Membrey is huge. That's our best mid, the best two forwards. 3rd, 4th and equal 7th in last year's B & F. It's absolutely massive for the future of St Kilda that inexperienced kids Caminiti, Owens and Poo have shown real capabilities.

If every player on the list was fit and firing then not all of that list of injured players would get a game. But if any one of those guys were fit while the rest of the injury list remained the same they'd all 100% be playing.

If every player on the list was fit and firing then not all of that list of injured players would get a game. But if any one of those guys were fit while the rest of the injury list remained the same they'd all 100% be playing.
Yeah I understand, and I don’t disagree.

If I told you Aiden Begg and Charlie Dean would be getting a game for Collingwood right now if they weren’t also injured, you’d look at me funny though thinking who the F are those guys?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lost two out of the last three. But not to worry, they should steady against Norf next week before their next big test against Adelaide in Adelaide the week after.

ok lets go another way

Steele Captain - plays
King - plays
Membrey - plays
Webster - plays

Owens 12 games
Phillapou - 5 games
Caminiti - 5 games

and Cordy

then we have the options

But According to the experts of Big footy, I had it shoved down my throat that ross Lyon never played youth.

Ross Lyon never played youf at the Saints in 2007-2011 and at the dockers in 2012-19 Apparently.

What you showed me and I underlined and bolded a certain section of your post, Is that Ross Lyon occasionally plays youf.

and …..

done
It's interesting to see how triggered Carlton fans seem to be by us. You sure are up and about for the supporter of a club that was widely considered a top four shot, while we were widely considered bottom four. And yet I look at the ladder and we are still above you?

Jeez you'd want to beat us in a fortnights time haha.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back