Opinion How can this Geelong side be stopped?

Remove this Banner Ad

We could catch covid and go to Geelong's training and get selfies with the players. But you'd feel terrible if one of them died from it. So I guess that's ruled out.

Where are all the people who thought Geelong had it in the bag?

There were a few reasons I was sticking with my tip of Melbourne for the flag, over the past few weeks...

1. Their best footy is better than Geelong's best footy. Melbourne's efforts from September 2021 are better than anything Geelong has produced.

2. Melbourne is a proven finals team. Geelong is not. Quite the opposite.

3. The finals are played on the MCG.

Tonight you can add a 4th reason

4. Melbourne's found form at the right time of year

Melbourne's odds have come in from $4.50 to $3.30 tonight and Geelong is still slight favourite, drifting from $2.75 to $3.00.

I'm not suggesting Geelong can't win, they're a very good chance. But Melbourne were always favorites in my view, and definitely should be after tonight.

There were a few reasons I was sticking with my tip of Melbourne for the flag, over the past few weeks...

1. Their best footy is better than Geelong's best footy. Melbourne's efforts from September 2021 are better than anything Geelong has produced.

Melbourne's odds have come in from $4.50 to $3.30 tonight and Geelong is still slight favourite, drifting from $2.75 to $3.00.

I'm not suggesting Geelong can't win, they're a very good chance. But Melbourne were always favorites in my view, and definitely should be after tonight.
No one's seriously suggesting Geelong has anything in the bag. These kind of threads are just opposition nuffies hoping to put a mozz on a team they don't like.

Weren't people saying all this after the last time they beat Brisbane?

The 'form they've found at the right time of the year' reads:
Round 21: Loss to Collingwood
Round 22: Unlikely 5 point win against Carlton
Round 23: Impressive win against Brisbane

They have had 3 very impressive wins in the last dozen rounds and have what a 50% win rate?

Their odds have shortened on the basis they have now secured Top 4.

Still anyone's flag for mine.

Weren't people saying all this after the last time they beat Brisbane?

The 'form they've found at the right time of the year' reads:
Round 21: Loss to Collingwood
Round 22: Unlikely 5 point win against Carlton
Round 23: Impressive win against Brisbane

They have had 3 very impressive wins in the last dozen rounds and have what a 50% win rate?

Their odds have shortened on the basis they have now secured Top 4.

Still anyone's flag for mine.
Absolutely anyone's flag, totally agree. Anyone who's been watching sport for longer than a year or two knows anything can happen

But those 4 reasons I listed seem like pretty compelling reasons to choose Melbourne as the most likely victor. You can substitute "Geelong" for most teams and most of those reasons are still very relevant

Tonight didn’t change anything in my view of Melbourne.

I always did, and still do think they’re a big danger and they did nothing wrong tonight quite obviously

But that first half was probably the worst two quarters of football back to back as far as effort, intent, and accountability goes that I have seen from a top four team ever.

I’ve seen worse in terms of skill, some of them from Geelong themselves, but nothing that bad in terms of attitude

I always did, and still do think they’re a big danger and they did nothing wrong tonight quite obviously

But that first half was probably the worst two quarters of football back to back as far as effort, intent, and accountability goes that I have seen from a top four team ever.

I’ve seen worse in terms of skill, some of them from Geelong themselves, but nothing that bad in terms of attitude
Yep. All credit to Melbourne, but Brisbane have not exactly been great lately either. Somewhat fortunate to beat St Kilda (who are going absolutely shite) last week. Brisbane's defensive effort was absolutely pathetic tonight.

I’d be sad too if the club that beat mine in a grand final 13 years ago only missed the top 8 once in all that time whilst making 2 more grand finals in the meantime, and possibly 3.
Can I buy a comma? Period could work? Even a hyphen?

Someone on the Cats board reckons he has spoken with those internally and it's all just a ploy to give him the rest without the need of worrying about outside noise from gamblers who have invested in Cameron to win the Coleman.

Take of that what you will but even pretending to get the hamstring rubbed down during the game . . . it is all part of the plan.
Probably the cleverest thing you ever have come up with, but what incentive would Geelong have to fix the odds for gamblers?

Honestly, just put your poo and wee shirt on, it must be killing you.

Without sounding like a smart ass, you think it was worse than Geelongs second half of the round 23 game last year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are 3 key contenders this season. Geelong, Melbourne, Sydney. And I know what the ladder says but I just don't see Geelong being a clear step above the other 2. Melbourne v Sydney has been my prediction for the big dance for a couple weeks now and I feel as good as ever about that.

There are 3 key contenders this season. Geelong, Melbourne, Sydney. And I know what the ladder says but I just don't see Geelong being a clear step above the other 2. Melbourne v Sydney has been my prediction for the big dance for a couple weeks now and I feel as good as ever about that.

Melbourne yes. Not sure about Sydney.

Geelong looks all the good this year to win the premiership with a 9 game winning streak this year.

Can’t see anyone stopping them at all
Statistics could be the undoing. Since its inception in 1951 the McClelland Trophy for the minor premiers has resulted in only 23 premiers from 72 attempts. Not a particularly high strike rate for the ‘best team’ of those seasons.

Yes Brisbane simply didn't turn up last night. It was embarrassing. They looked like witches hats. They have a history of not turning up in big games- 2020 prelim much the same.

Nonetheless, Melbourne were tough at the ball. They executed their game plan by intercepting and throttling Brisbane when Brisbane went forward. They kicked straight. They found connections as they moved up the ground. All the right things heading into September.

And whether Brisbane turned up or not, their record at the Gabba is superb. Smashing them bodes well for their opposition.

Last edited:
If Geelong had to play Melbourne, Brisbane Collingwood or whoever else twice instead of what we got, they'd just be even further behind, not closer. We are CLEARLY the best performed side so far. And it's not particularly close.

yes but as you know very well, finals are different

Without sounding like a smart ass, you think it was worse than Geelongs second half of the round 23 game last year?
I thought Melbourne raised their intensity in that game, and geelong couldn’t hold them off - even through they tried. Didn’t Stewart not play that game and danger go onto the bench through injury? I reckon geelong tried - but Melbourne were just too good.

Brisbane on the other hand had their best team on the park and were just insipid. They played with less intent than WC against us. It’s embarrassing to see a top team which should have gears and leadership to slow a game down - just let themselves be pantsed.

For a non threatening team, you spend a lot of time telling everyone this. Are you convincing others or yourself?

Why do you care what I think? I think Cats will choke again as shown since 2012. They don’t perform in finals and it’s becoming part of their culture. Such a fall from grace since 2011. But then again they had a 44 year drought before 07 and didn’t even go b2b in 07-11. So maybe 07-11 is the outlier and the reality is they just aren’t a good club.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Why do you care what I think? I think Cats will choke again as shown since 2012. They don’t perform in finals and it’s becoming part of their culture. Such a fall from grace since 2011. But then again they had a 44 year drought before 07 and didn’t even go b2b in 07-11. So maybe 07-11 is the outlier and the reality is they just aren’t a good club.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
As an expert in following a “aren’t a good club” I respect your opinion.

I don’t care what you think. I enjoy reading the dribble you like to spit out here, it’s entertaining.

I thought Geelong weren’t that good? That they only made top 4 because of their home ground advantage. So are they choking if they ain’t that good?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back