How can this St Kilda Side be Stopped?

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints now on top of the ladder. Big Rassco has them playing like men possessed and with plenty of quality players still to come back in to the team they're only going to get better. How can this St Kilda juggernaut be stopped?
We play a good side thats in form.

My opinion on St Kilda is a lot of their players are very similar in ability, their depth is actually quite good but they just lack genuine A graders. As Ross Lyon has been saying, the guys playing at the moment are all fit and firing so there are no excuses. King is one that they genuinely miss but a lot of guys out at the moment are not all that much better than the guys playing.

My opinion on St Kilda is a lot of their players are very similar in ability, their depth is actually quite good but they just lack genuine A graders. As Ross Lyon has been saying, the guys playing at the moment are all fit and firing so there are no excuses. King is one that they genuinely miss but a lot of guys out at the moment are not all that much better than the guys playing.

True. However, I will say we have drafted really well the last 2 years, so the A graders are coming even if they are not here yet.

Phillipou, Owens, King, Windhager, and Wangeneen show a ton of promise maybe even Caminiti who's shown a bit. (We're also quietly very excited to see what Keeler and Hotton have got given the highlight reels each came to the club with)

Apart from them, we have King who is certain to become an A grader if he isn't already as well as Steele, Sinclair, and Marshall

Last edited:
Yeah there’s a lot of truth to this. We’d definitely rather be at full strength, but we bat extremely deep with those who are AFL quality, so we’re able to cover a lot of injuries. Especially to running types and those who play in the midfield.

Our biggest weapon at the moment is probably our fitness. Ross has been saying since he took over the job that we’re an extremely strong running group, and so we’ve built a game plan to play to that strength.

Last week we had 346 total sprints (75 more than Freo) and the most of any team for the round (next most was 316) and then yesterday we had 288 to WB’s 229.

So we’re able to move our whole team up and back like a basketball team and apply fierce pressure to the opposition when they have the ball.

Yeah there’s a lot of truth to this. We’d definitely rather be at full strength, but we bat extremely deep with those who are AFL quality, so we’re able to cover a lot of injuries. Especially to running types and those who play in the midfield.

Our biggest weapon at the moment is probably our fitness. Ross has been saying since he took over the job that we’re an extremely strong running group, and so we’ve built a game plan to play to that strength.

Last week we had 346 total sprints (75 more than Freo) and the most of any team for the round (next most was 316) and then yesterday we had 288 to WB’s 229.

So we’re able to move our whole team up and back like a basketball team and apply fierce pressure to the opposition when they have the ball.
I wonder how our sprints compare to say Collingwood, who seem to have about 5-6 players take off any time they win the ball.

I wonder how our sprints compare to say Collingwood, who seem to have about 5-6 players take off any time they win the ball.
Interestingly, in R1 Collingwood had just 240 total sprints, while Geelong were the team who had the 2nd-most for the round behind us, with 316.

Yesterday they had 238, to Ports 205.

So their average across the two rounds is 239, while ours is 317.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor goal kicking.
Yep, it's been controlled, but always lurking.

Getting Max King back. He’s evidently been the problem.

Since his debut he’s missed 5 games and we’ve won them all. Our winning percentage drops dramatically when he plays.

I knew Ross Lyon worked On certain tactics lol

This sounds nice....until Ross Lyon makes another grand final lol

I'm going to be honest, I'm still super hesitant to get my hopes up. Ross has absolutely been a catalyst for change that we seriously needed. Given our injuries, I didn't expect us to win both of the first two, but I did expect some fight and we gave that and more. My worry is that we're relying on effort quite heavily right now, our players look fit and hungry. I've seen effort heavy gameplans fall apart mid season when fatigue hits in before, or even just a few weeks in. So it all depends on whether our structure holds up once that fatigue kicks in. We're also relying on our younger players quite heavily right now (8 of our 14 goals from players under 20 years old last week), and younger players tend to be prone to inconsistency. And finally, injuries. Steele out isn't what we needed. The entire preseason of injury dominos set my expectations low to begin with.

I am excited, and don't get me wrong, the signs are well and truly there to prove me wrong, I'm just not mentally ready to buy in fully just yet after the disappointment of the last two years. The pessimist in me thinks it's too good to be true after only two weeks. On the plus side, we have a relatively easy fixture compared to most, so that's a positive. Fingers crossed for finals this year.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back