Biggest what-if in the AFL this decade

Remove this Banner Ad

Posted this in a similar 'sliding doors' thread a while back:

The all time classic is what if the ball had bounced differently for Milne in the 2010 drawn Grand Final (or alternatively, what if Milne had actually attacked the ball)?

Think about the difference that would make to:
  • Milne's reputation - would be considered a hero of St Kilda on par with Barry Breen instead of remembered for the indecent assault.
  • Malthouse - if he couldn't get Collingwood over the line in 2011 would have coached for 17 seasons without a flag, severely denting his legacy and rep.
  • Buckley - the handover would probably be seen as necessary and he would have been initially cut much more slack as a result.
  • Lyon - hailed as a coaching genius instead of devising game plans that come up short in Grand Finals.
  • Pendlebury - the fact he was suffering through illness in the GF would not have been seen as a valid excuse for his poor performance if he didn't have the ability to make amends the week after. Other achievements greatly diminished as a result.
  • McGuire - huge pressure on Eddie's presidency if he doesn't have a flag after all that time in charge.
  • Riewoldt, Hayes, Goddard, Montagna etc - vast difference in legacy and reputation if they have a flag on their CV at end of their careers.
  • Reverse for Swan, Didak etc who would be missing their premiership credentials.

All these massive changes and more due to one bounce of the ball...

• Milne's reputation - would be considered a hero of St Kilda on par with Barry Breen instead of remembered for the indecent assault.

Would still be remembered for that. Gary Ablett Snr was considered possibly one of the best of all time but he is still remembered as someone that basically murdered a teenager. Carey was considered great too, but when people think of him a lot think of him having an affair.

1. What if the ball bounced into Stephen Milnes hands late in the 2010 grand final?
St.Kilda would have a flag and that amazing Collingwood side potentially zilch. Does that change Ross Lyons future?

2. What if the AFL went Tasmania instead of Gold Coast or GWS?
One has turned into a successful club and the other a real struggler. Which one could we have gone without?

3. What if Richmond sacks Dimma at the end of 2016? Do the Tigers go on to win 2 of the next 3 flags?

4. What if the Essendon thing scandal never happened? Would they have won a final by now? Would Hird still be coaching?

1. What if the ball bounced into Stephen Milnes hands late in the 2010 grand final?
St.Kilda would have a flag and that amazing Collingwood side potentially zilch. Does that change Ross Lyons future?

2. What if the AFL went Tasmania instead of Gold Coast or GWS?
One has turned into a successful club and the other a real struggler. Which one could we have gone without?

3. What if Richmond sacks Dimma at the end of 2016? Do the Tigers go on to win 2 of the next 3 flags?

4. What if the Essendon thing scandal never happened? Would they have won a final by now? Would Hird still be coaching?
RE: 3 Absolutely not
We’d be back down the bottom again, much of the good work for the decade down the toilet. And if he got sacked because of the focus on footy ticket getting through, all of the good work would be gone, and we’re back to the real dark old days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans were bloody lucky in that period not to meet Adelaide in the finals. We could beat West Coast, couldn't beat Adelaide to save our lives though.

It was the perfect rivalry triangle.

Adelaide > Sydney
Sydney > West Coast
West Coast > Adelaide

Neil Craig's Adelaide underachieved imo, should have got at least one GF out of that list.

At the risk of derailing the thread, what if that girl had never made derogatory comments to Adam Goodes.

Or what if he hadn’t have done the war dance?

The Adam Goodes saga was definitely the biggest AFL story this decade, Essendon drug saga, Phil Walsh tragedy come close, but the Goodes story has an international interest that the others didn’t.

Would be fascinating to see the view of fans of Goodes in a world where those events didn’t transpire.

Let's pretend Marshall Mathers never picked up a pen
Let's pretend things woulda been no different
Pretend he procrastinated, had no motivation
Pretend he just made excuses that were so paper thin
They could blow away with the wind
"Marshall, you're never gonna make it
Makes no sense to play the game
There ain't no way that you'll win."
Pretend he just stayed outside all day and played with his friends
Pretend he even had a friend to say was his friend
And it wasn't time to move and schools weren't changin' again
He wasn't socially awkward and just strange as a kid
He had a father and his mother wasn't crazy as s**t
And he never dreamed he could rip stadiums and just lazy as s**t
"heck a talent show in the gymnasium, bitch!"
"You won't amount to s**t—quit daydreamin', kid!"
"You need to get your cranium checked."
"You're thinking like an alien, it just ain't realistic."
Now pretend they ain't just make him angry with this s**t
And there was no one he could even aim when he's pissed at
And his alarm went off to wake him, but he didn't make it
To the Rap Olympics, slept through his plane and he missed it
He's gon' have a hard time explaining to Hailie and Lainey
These food stamps and this WIC s**t
‘Cause he never risked s**t, he hoped and he wished it
But it didn't fall in his lap, so he ain't even here, he pretends that..

At the risk of derailing the thread, what if that girl had never made derogatory comments to Adam Goodes.

Or what if he hadn’t have done the war dance?

The Adam Goodes saga was definitely the biggest AFL story this decade, Essendon drug saga, Phil Walsh tragedy come close, but the Goodes story has an international interest that the others didn’t.

Would be fascinating to see the view of fans of Goodes in a world where those events didn’t transpire.
A very good 'what if'.
If that girl does not say those comments and Goodes does not point her out he is not named AOTY some months later for a start.

A massive 'what if' for me is the way the boos were handled. Even with the same dirty or floggish onfield antics that apparently irked others from Goodes and even with all his post AOTY statements having happened

Imagine it is early 2015 season and the media questions Goodes about the crowd reception and his response is the following.

'I do not mind the booing. I use it to motivate me to get more out of myself onfield.' (big difference between boos and racist comments and this is not implying that Goodes should tolerate the latter)

Then does not do a war dance at away supporters of a bottom team when the Swans are winning easily.

And Pridham does not make inflammatory statements that if you boo Adam you are racist.

I do not think it blows up like it did for the rest of 2015 even with all the stuff that led to the boos getting to where they were early in the season before the dance.

Not many are prepared to look in to it from that angle but if the real aim was to reduce the booing against Goodes then the way it was handled by the AFL, Swans, and Goodes just gave media every opportunity to polarise the football community. It was amazingly incompetent and instead made the saga more painful for everyone.

A very good 'what if'.
If that girl does not say those comments and Goodes does not point her out he is not named AOTY some months later for a start.

A massive 'what if' for me is the way the boos were handled. Even with the same dirty or floggish onfield antics that apparently irked others from Goodes and even with all his post AOTY statements having happened

Imagine it is early 2015 season and the media questions Goodes about the crowd reception and his response is the following.

'I do not mind the booing. I use it to motivate me to get more out of myself onfield.' (big difference between boos and racist comments and this is not implying that Goodes should tolerate the latter)

Then does not do a war dance at away supporters of a bottom team when the Swans are winning easily.

And Pridham does not make inflammatory statements that if you boo Adam you are racist.

I do not think it blows up like it did for the rest of 2015 even with all the stuff that led to the boos getting to where they were early in the season before the dance.

Not many are prepared to look in to it from that angle but if the real aim was to reduce the booing against Goodes then the way it was handled by the AFL, Swans, and Goodes just gave media every opportunity to polarise the football community. It was amazingly incompetent and instead made the saga more painful for everyone.

E8DF153C-BC51-4638-847D-5E9387C0994A.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back