Biggest what-if in the AFL this decade

Remove this Banner Ad

Completely agree that parts of Australia and sub-sections of the population would be considered racist.

I also agree that some (maybe even 'most') of the people who booed Goodes were racist.

However, I booed Goodes and there was absolutely zero racism behind my booing. I booed Goodes the same way that I booed Jobe Watson and Joel Selwood. I'm sure other supporters were in the same boat.

Well sure that's just proving that there are exceptions to every rule.

But when you compare Goodes to other players who get booed without having actually done anything in the game itself to deserve it what company does he have?

his booing started from being the leagues biggest diver, that escalated with the kid in the crowd thing then it went ballistic

Yeah, for some reason people are trying to rewrite history on this topic. Towards the end of his career Goodes dived so frequently and obnoxiously that it'd make Lindsay Thomas blush.

Well sure that's just proving that there are exceptions to every rule.

But when you compare Goodes to other players who get booed without having actually done anything in the game itself to deserve it what company does he have?

I don't/didn't exclusively boo those three players (Selwood, Watson and Goodes), there are many opposition players that I choose to boo. The reason that I named those three players specifically is that i respect them all as great AFL players - Goodes and Selwood specifically will be worthy Hall of Famers. If they played for my club I would love them, but they all play for opposition (specifically, three of the clubs that I dislike the most as a Hawks supporter) and they all have done things/been involved in things that make me dislike them:
- Goodes diving/playing for free kicks
- Selwood ducking/throwing the arm up
- Watson *

In Watson's case it wasn't even something that he intentionally did.

If Isaac Smith kicked that goal in the 2016 QF.

The Geelong vs Western Bulldogs SF is what would have been interesting. We all know how red hot the Dogs were that finals series, but if there was one team that could have beaten them, it was Geelong! Geelong are the only team that the Bulldogs did not beat that year, and they played twice.

Not even close to a good comparison, Judd never stopped a game in front of a couple million people to get a child kicked out of the stadium, Judd never invited the crowd by running towards them with a mock spear deliberately trying to antagonize them.

Also Judd wasn't 'way' dirtier. That's just flat out false.

A teenager kicked out who was being racist. Should he have simply said nothing?

If Goodes had’ve been suspended for sliding in with the knees and Leigh Mathews not declaring him a protected species before all the booing started, I wonder if things mighta turned out differently

If Goodes had not been Australian Of The Year - which was a head scratcher with some people I know, who don't follow AFL/sport, as they were surprised he was even nominated....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair points, which is why I use the term 'arguably' - although with a few exceptions the Hawks flogged everyone during the 2012 H&A season, hence the reason they finished minor premiers with a percentage of 154.6...

There is also the fact that most bookies had the Hawks line at 28.5pts prior to the GF, which I thought was bold at the time given the Crows scare the week before...
Fair point. Bewildering line on behalf of the bookies then but I suppose you’d always see it that way with the benefit of hindsight.

It was clearly all that five goal MCG advantage that non-Victorians won’t stop bleating about ;)

Fair point. Bewildering line on behalf of the bookies then but I suppose you’d always see it that way with the benefit of hindsight.

It was clearly all that five goal MCG advantage that non-Victorians won’t stop bleating about ;)

Yep, I was shocked when I couldn't get better than $1.60, must of been driven by the Vic's putting a few shackles on the 'home' team...

Oh it was and only a fool would deny it. At the time I thought he was a whinger and the booing was just because he himself was a flog. 5 seconds of reflection changed my mind - the booing was racially motivated. We live in a very racist country.
Not to be the guy that goes all "well I've got black friends" but my indigenous and I were chatting about Goodes during it all, and to my surprise they admitted to booing him because they didn't like how he was going about it. Are they racist?

With how many people there are on the planet, with how many different cultures and experiences a person can have, with the circle of people they are in, with all the variables that can change someone's perspective and behaviour and how many different ways something can be viewed I refuse to believe it was purely a racist issue. I know in the eyes of people who think if you booed you were racist that just makes me a part of the problem and they are entitled to think that, but I will continue to fight racism in my own way and treat racists like the troglodylic mongoloids they are.

But laying a blanket of racism over everyone involved is about as reductive as racists themselves and is only going to cause defensive dickheads, racist or not, to fight back. It's not right, but if you don't take into account the many different types of individual in a problem like this, you aren't going to find any middle ground to begin learning and healing. You will just continue to put up walls to keep people out that might otherwise be on your side.

That’s what you got?

I asked for reasons that wouldn’t leave me rolling on the floor laughing my a$$ off.

Playing for frees is playing for frees and Goodes was nowhere near the worst or the most blatant.

Try again.
and goodes isn’t the first to be booed for it and won’t be last however he was originally booed the most because he did it the most, that’s all there is to it, but he turned it into something else and that was his own doing, there’s nothing else I have to say to please you

I bought draw insurance usually bookies payin 45 dollars so I assumed a close finish

and goodes isn’t the first to be booed for it and won’t be last however he was originally booed the most because he did it the most, that’s all there is to it, but he turned it into something else and that was his own doing, there’s nothing else I have to say to please you

That level of booing? F#*k off.

Stagers get booed when they get a free they didn’t earn. Goodes was booed when he was all alone in 30 metres of free space on the outer wing. HE WAS NOT BOOED BECAUSE HE SUPPOSEDLY STAGED FOR FREES.

Pure and simple.

And to say it was entirely his fault that the booing got worse is so much bulls#*t it’s unbelievable.

If you won’t acknowledge truth or reality then there’s no helping you.

Pathetic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back