The off topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
jd this has made me angrier than anything WR has posted.

This is a topic which is quite important to me, as it should be to everyone. That's why I put so much effort in.
It's frustrating to me to see people just refusing to acknowledge it.

It's probably very naive of me to think I can make any meaningful difference but I can't just not try.
I'm sure glenferry23 feels similarly with regards to veganism, and I think he would typically cop a lot worse in response.

Agreed, someone shrugging and asking 'why do you care' when discussing a topic that has consequences on the world we live in is mind boggling.

It would be like while discussing the missile strikes in Iran, someone coming in and saying "Who cares, this is boring, it won't impact us" which I'm sure would make WR quite upset.

jd this has made me angrier than anything WR has posted.

This is a topic which is quite important to me, as it should be to everyone. That's why I put so much effort in.
It's frustrating to me to see people just refusing to acknowledge it.

It's probably very naive of me to think I can make any meaningful difference but I can't just not try.
I'm sure glenferry23 feels similarly with regards to veganism, and I think he would typically cop a lot worse in response.
You've tried. And it's not working in this case. Just give it up it's not worth the anger and stress it's putting on yourself

Wasn't their best but still had a few good Oasis-type songs on it. Lyla, The Importance of Being Idle and Let There Be Love off the top of my head

Uh.. that's not their last Oasis album.

Live gigs mainly. Also reckon they have a good album left in them.

Then that's fair enough and yeah I'd be keen to see them perform as Oasis. I remember seeing Noel (I think) at Big Day Out years ago and someone yelled out for him to perform Champagne Supernova, and he responded "Nah never singing that song again" which sucked.

But maybe it has worked on someone lurking this thread.
Maybe. Actually probably in one of the first 5 or 6 posts but I dont think the rest are

Uh.. that's not their last Oasis album.
Ah yep Dig out your soul was that much worse than the rest that it was completely forgotten. But even that wasn't the worst. Would be a good album for most bands

It’s not that I don’t care, and I’ve never denied that climate change isn’t real. The problem is the science is inconclusive (both sides) but that’s not to say I still don’t do my bit - yes even I suffer from a certain amount of brainwashing.

We live in a world where we are free to make up our own minds about stuff. I’ve gone along with the whole Climate Change is happening and it’s down to humans as well, but I’m also open to the other side and I’m not into one side whitewashing the whole debate. That’s how I am with everything and probably why I run into arguments with so many people on the far left on these boards. I used to work in a Government Department dealing with Climate Change so I do know a lot about it. But like I say I just keep an open mind

It’s not that I don’t care, and I’ve never denied that climate change isn’t real. The problem is the science is inconclusive (both sides) but that’s not to say I still don’t do my bit - yes even I suffer from a certain amount of brainwashing.

We live in a world where we are free to make up our own minds about stuff. I’ve gone along with the whole Climate Change is happening and it’s down to humans as well, but I’m also open to the other side and I’m not into one side whitewashing the whole debate. That’s how I am with everything and probably why I run into arguments with so many people on the far left on these boards. I used to work in a Government Department dealing with Climate Change so I do know a lot about it. But like I say I just keep an open mind
I'm just as open to the other side. But pretty much everything I have seen from that side, or at least the biggest talking points, are highly disputable and can be disproven. Further, I don't see an issue with trying to improve our practices to reduce or remove pollution regardless of how much it "actually" is changing the climate.

The weight of numbers in research is on the side that climate change is significantly driven by man.
Also, you asked me a question - what more did I want? - I answered it in my post.

Now I'm gonna ask you a question - care to respond?

Climate change needs action taken now no matter what beliefs everyone may or may not have. Australia could achieve zero carbon emissions by 2030 if it committed to nuclear power today (another discussion).

China and India need to reduce coal usage significantly by 2030 and really need to be using zero coal by 2050. This may seem a long time off but climate change needs a long term strategy and it needs to be instituted ASAP. Regardless of what you believe less carbon in the atmosphere has to be a good thing for everyone on the planet.

Maybe. Actually probably in one of the first 5 or 6 posts but I dont think the rest are

Ah yep Dig out your soul was that much worse than the rest that it was completely forgotten. But even that wasn't the worst. Would be a good album for most bands

But not good enough to be excited by them doing another one.

Climate change needs action taken now no matter what beliefs everyone may or may not have. Australia could achieve zero carbon emissions by 2030 if it committed to nuclear power today (another discussion).

China and India need to reduce coal usage significantly by 2030 and really need to be using zero coal by 2050. This may seem a long time off but climate change needs a long term strategy and it needs to be instituted ASAP. Regardless of what you believe less carbon in the atmosphere has to be a good thing for everyone on the planet.

agreed. Plenty of uninhabited area (desert) for nuclear to be in the discussion

I'm just as open to the other side. But pretty much everything I have seen from that side, or at least the biggest talking points, are highly disputable and can be disproven. Further, I don't see an issue with trying to improve our practices to reduce or remove pollution regardless of how much it "actually" is changing the climate.

The weight of numbers in research is on the side that climate change is significantly driven by man.
Also, you asked me a question - what more did I want? - I answered it in my post.

Now I'm gonna ask you a question - care to respond?
Yes ok

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Figures.
You don't care, you don't want to engage in the discussion, you don't want to admit you might have made a mistake.

So why keep bringing it up?
I said I’ll respond to your question, so I’m waiting. Just make it one and not a huge monologue though

I said I’ll respond to your question, so I’m waiting. Just make it one and not a huge monologue though
Oh, my mistake.

The question was, "care to respond to my post outlining what more I want?" but I just shortened it.

I'm after some acknowledgement of your hypocrisy in dismissing what I have presented (and supported) as my opinion, but keenly believing what that YouTuber said - even though his supporting evidence was poor and he doesn't live in Australia.

I'm not upset that you believe something different. I'm upset that you dismiss evidence in lieu of conspiracy and lies. I'm upset that there are a lot of people who think like you do. I'm upset that so many people refuse to do their own research on certain topics and just listen to what an eloquent YouTuber says like he's a prophet. I'm upset that loud voices with little facts behind them are somehow convincing a significant number of people that climate change (or man made climate change) is a myth.

I try so so hard, not just here but elsewhere online, to try to educate and encourage people to look into the science and into the research. But often it's like a brick wall which can only get defensive and sling insults back.

Recently a friend of mine on Facebook has been tagging his mother in a number of articles - because she has just believed everything that you're saying about green policies as well as it being the fault of the Green party - trying to help her understand that she is buying into misinformation. I can't imagine how that feels for him. I'm grateful that I don't have that with any close family.

You can continue to post these opinions but now every time - EVERY TIME - I am going to come back with the other side. With facts, science, experts. Not with hearsay and misinformation.
All I dismissed was your point regarding the hazard reduction, as it sounded like opinion rather than fact. I actually applauded your initial post, and I’ll say much of it has merit and you clearly have researched long and hard.

The point about not living in Australia is a tad lame though. Kind of a strawman SM type thing to say. Should I say that none of you should comment on premier league football because you don’t live here? Comes off as elitist when you say that.

I admit what Paul said in his video really resonated with me. For me, the whole thing in Australia has been whitewashed. We need more of an honest discussion, a discussion that doesn’t turn into a slanging match like it so frequently does. We don’t need people like Greta poxy Thunberg and her “How dare you” nonsense. We need level heads, particularly from scientists - on both sides, and debates by experts who can present the facts that the common man can grasp. Unfortunately we don’t have that at the moment, and if we did, I actually think it would go some way to turn dissenters like myself.

I'm glass half full that they'd be able to produce something closer to all of the others rather than the most recent which was over a decade ago anyway
It’s about time you were more glass half full when it comes to Spurs :p :D :D :p

All I dismissed was your point regarding the hazard reduction, as it sounded like opinion rather than fact. I actually applauded your initial post, and I’ll say much of it has merit and you clearly have researched long and hard.

The point about not living in Australia is a tad lame though. Kind of a strawman SM type thing to say. Should I say that none of you should comment on premier league football because you don’t live here? Comes off as elitist when you say that.

I admit what Paul said in his video really resonated with me. For me, the whole thing in Australia has been whitewashed. We need more of an honest discussion, a discussion that doesn’t turn into a slanging match like it so frequently does. We don’t need people like Greta poxy Thunberg and her “How dare you” nonsense. We need level heads, particularly from scientists - on both sides, and debates by experts who can present the facts that the common man can grasp. Unfortunately we don’t have that at the moment, and if we did, I actually think it would go some way to turn dissenters like myself.

Complaining about elitism usually happens when you feel like you're made to feel dumb on a topic you don't know much about.

Until it was pointed out that the liberal government here means conservative, you had no clue, so maybe time to take the back seat.

A band you like making new music is never a bad thing.

It is if it negatively impacts on your perception of the old music, which can happen. Same with remakes/sequels to movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back