Training 2020 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Just on Coff seeing him this pre season compared to the last few years he is just so much more confident in his body. I actually think the game he went down he was about to break out simmilarly to Clarke against North. He just seemed to be finding the ball with a lot more ease. The thing for him this pre season being more confident in his body is that he'll hopefully be better at things like going back with the flight and breaking tackles which I've seen this pre season. This is to go with his already skilled side of his game.

In addition, Coffield has despite what people think shown an ability to play midfield in the VFL and in under 18's. Whether it means thats where he ends up is a different story. However he is capable. However like Clark I think it is in the best interests of both to play at Half back for in Clark's case this year and Coff's case at least a few more seasons before transitioning into the midfield. I also agree with who ever said that Coff doesn't seem as naturally suited to the midfield as say Clark but I think he still has the scope. When he has played midfield he shown an ability to play the sweeper role well and gets the ball going after the first handball out of congestion. In addition, with his new size hopefully he will begin to break out of stoppages a little better.

Overall I think he has the ability to get to Elliot Yeo level's in terms of productivity, minus the level of aggression.

"SWIM BETWEEN MY FLAGS": HOW ST KILDA BALL MAGNET ADDRESSED SKILL DEFICIENCY
BY SAM MILLS 4 HOURS AGO

Two-time St Kilda best & fairest winner Seb Ross has revealed he’s made the decision to reduce his long kicking going into the 2020 AFL season.
Ross told SEN's Bob and Andy that he realised midway through last season he should stick to short field kicks for the benefit of the team.

I wasn’t happy with my long kicking. Last year I tended to kick it off my knee or shin a little bit because I’m just trying to boot the cover off it,” the Saints midfielder said.
“Halfway through last year I was just having an issue with my inside 50 kicking and it was all to do with the longer entries.

“I sat down with Brendon Lade, we worked out a way I could be more efficient for the team by playing within my realms. I’m a good short kick and it’s beneficial for the team a lot of the time to keep the ball in possession.
“You’ve just got to learn to work with what you’ve got and be able to manipulate certain situations to your advantage. Obviously, I’m just trying to hit the short option and swim between my flags."
The 26-year-old has learnt to appreciate the strengths of his teammates and trust them to bring aspects to the game that he can’t bring.
“We’ve got other guys in the team that can pull out that long kick and play to their strengths as well,” Ross said.
“That’s where I think I can progress as a footballer, especially because we’ve got a few new guys this season, understanding their strengths and what they bring to the side – how I can complement them and bring them into the game.”
Ross was vice-captain in 2019 and led the team in the absence of regular captain Jarryn Geary.

everybody in bf could have told him that

And would lonie still have got injured had he been reported which would have been madness anyway. Would kosi have got concussion had gia been reported. It was a footy contest. It had nothing to be with us being at Kilda. The chip on the shoulder stuff needs to stop just as losing needs to stop

Lonie would most likely NOT have been injured, had Laird accepted he couldn't make a legitimate contest, and focused on ensuring that Lonie couldn't run off the mark. Once a player is in the air, an attack on the body from behind is impossible to defend. This is precisely why they seek to protect against similar actions on breakaways in the NBA.

I'm not suggesting Laird had plans to hurt Lonie (far from it), and I don't want to see players rubbed out for making a genuine play on the ball, so please don't misunderstand my intent. I think the video is clear that Laird felt he had nothing to lose by playing the man, and did just that.

To be honest, I was also quite surprised that Josh Battle wasn't rubbed out a week for his head-clash incident with Mr Accident Prone Nat Fyfe last season - even though the resultant tackle (which looks dreadful, now that I watch it a few more times) was reflexive at the moment of contact, and not premeditated.

Bish

You guys should try and make it down to training (or one of these practice games) and get a look at King & Coffield.

Huge improvers over the last few months. They've both put on considerable size, King's first true pre-season so still needs to keep adding weight but Coff looks primed for a big improvement this year.
giphy (34).gif

Suspended? Didn’t know that.

No wonder the vibe’s suddenly taken a dive.
giphy (51).gif
Wilkie hardly wasted a disposal at all last year. He's as clean a disposer as I can remember at the Saints. He's a quality player.
Hope this bloke plays his whole career with us, 200 games plus
Wilkie is an absolute gun

Gee, big ups to Seb Ross for admitting his long kicks aren't much chop. How many players do you hear openly admit their weaknesses? My respect just went up massively for Seb. Wasn't his biggest fan last year, to say the least.

ZdyFb6w.gif
Think i nicknamed him 9 iron
Can remember a fair few of us absolutely giving it to him about his inside 50s
Everything else was fine, love the guy but the entries were no good

Bloody good on him
Thats also good coaching by ladey.

Cant wait for this season to start.
I havent been this pumped since about round 9 2009
And before that 2004

Cmon
tenor.gif

"SWIM BETWEEN MY FLAGS": HOW ST KILDA BALL MAGNET ADDRESSED SKILL DEFICIENCY
BY SAM MILLS 4 HOURS AGO

Two-time St Kilda best & fairest winner Seb Ross has revealed he’s made the decision to reduce his long kicking going into the 2020 AFL season.
Ross told SEN's Bob and Andy that he realised midway through last season he should stick to short field kicks for the benefit of the team.

I wasn’t happy with my long kicking. Last year I tended to kick it off my knee or shin a little bit because I’m just trying to boot the cover off it,” the Saints midfielder said.
“Halfway through last year I was just having an issue with my inside 50 kicking and it was all to do with the longer entries.

“I sat down with Brendon Lade, we worked out a way I could be more efficient for the team by playing within my realms. I’m a good short kick and it’s beneficial for the team a lot of the time to keep the ball in possession.
“You’ve just got to learn to work with what you’ve got and be able to manipulate certain situations to your advantage. Obviously, I’m just trying to hit the short option and swim between my flags."
The 26-year-old has learnt to appreciate the strengths of his teammates and trust them to bring aspects to the game that he can’t bring.
“We’ve got other guys in the team that can pull out that long kick and play to their strengths as well,” Ross said.
“That’s where I think I can progress as a footballer, especially because we’ve got a few new guys this season, understanding their strengths and what they bring to the side – how I can complement them and bring them into the game.”
Ross was vice-captain in 2019 and led the team in the absence of regular captain Jarryn Geary.
The full interview if anyone is interested

View attachment 822796

View attachment 822797

Hope this bloke plays his whole career with us, 200 games plus
Wilkie is an absolute gun

View attachment 822802
Think i nicknamed him 9 iron
Can remember a fair few of us absolutely giving it to him about his inside 50s
Everything else was fine, love the guy but the entries were no good

Bloody good on him
Thats also good coaching by ladey.

Cant wait for this season to start.
I havent been this pumped since about round 9 2009
And before that 2004

Cmon
View attachment 822805

Patrick Bateman & BJ Penn gifs PC you legend

Plugger66, by engaging in "counter-argument post number 87" StKilda forums requirement "provide proof" has now been engaged. To continue this debate please provide no less then twelve referenced posts providing evidence to your claim. Failure to do so will result in an immediate BAN from arbitrary counter opinions and arguments that don't go anywhere. You have twenty seconds to comply.
No proof required just common sense. I suppose because that’s not common I should provide proof. I bet you think Hampton rovers get a poor deal

Lonie would most likely NOT have been injured, had Laird accepted he couldn't make a legitimate contest, and focused on ensuring that Lonie couldn't run off the mark. Once a player is in the air, an attack on the body from behind is impossible to defend. This is precisely why they seek to protect against similar actions on breakaways in the NBA.

I'm not suggesting Laird had plans to hurt Lonie (far from it), and I don't want to see players rubbed out for making a genuine play on the ball, so please don't misunderstand my intent. I think the video is clear that Laird felt he had nothing to lose by playing the man, and did just that.

To be honest, I was also quite surprised that Josh Battle wasn't rubbed out a week for his head-clash incident with Mr Accident Prone Nat Fyfe last season - even though the resultant tackle (which looks dreadful, now that I watch it a few more times) was reflexive at the moment of contact, and not premeditated.

Bish
My point is players wouldn’t think about suspension before doing what they do obviously within reason. I don’t mean king hits but footy incidents so I think the injuries still stand whether it’s reportable or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My point is players wouldn’t think about suspension before doing what they do obviously within reason. I don’t mean king hits but footy incidents so I think the injuries still stand whether it’s reportable or not.

The irony, in some ways, is that Laird's shove was just enough to unbalance Lonie so his landing became a mess. Contact for the sake of contact, rather than making a true play at the ball. Not illegal, but not much better, in my book, than giving a ladder a friendly jolt as you walk past it (in my workplace that would, I might add, lead to severe consequences including dismissal)

I wonder how we'd have felt, collectively, if this example (which isn't terribly far from the Lonie incident) had seen Rooey out for 10 weeks, or maybe longer. Again, I don't believe there was intent to hurt, but once control of the landing is compromised, all bets are off. The impressive part for me is how quick Roo was to react to it and turn his body for the best landing he could manage.

I don't often agree with North players, but I do accept Scott Thompson's view from 2015 - if you get your hands on the ball, you're making a proper contest of it.

Obviously in neither incident under discussion did the defenders hands get anywhere near to making a spoil attempt. Not going to bang on about it, but I am of the view that hands in the back while a player is airborne borders on a cheap-shot which might have flown in earlier eras, but with all the other attempts to clean up the game in this era, it is out of place.

All that aside, I believe that King will earn respect very quickly if he simply delivers on the field - survive the first 5-10 games and prove himself, and his sheer stature up forward should see him rewarded. He has an edge over many young key forwards because he's got such strong skills beyond "lead and mark" - going to be very exciting to see how he goes around.

I also am curious to see how Wilkie goes with a full season under his belt - his body of work from 2019 surely has to give him a chance to add to it with fit players around him - he was a steadier so many times for us.

Not pre season related but was just thinking today. Max king should dominate for the next 10 to 15 years and then when it’s time to hang up the boots after a few flags the Riewoldt boys will be old enough to join the saints and continue the number 12 dominance. No pressure Max and junior Riewoldt’s.

Really can’t wait for Max to hit his stride in the next few years.

have struggled to find a favourite player since Roo retired.

All aboard the Max King Train.

ROUND 1. The Great Equaliser ,,,the HUMBLER, Gravity.. NO ROOM FOR THE AINTS GO HARD OR GO HOME.:cool:

gO saINTS

Attachments

• tumblr_myp1dnKmXa1snq7aao1_400.jpg
    tumblr_myp1dnKmXa1snq7aao1_400.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
No proof required just common sense. I suppose because that’s not common I should provide proof. I bet you think Hampton rovers get a poor deal
Well now is a good as any time to start! Youll have to explain better what poor deal the rovers were supposed to get, we are just unpaid amateurs right Plugger?

Well now is a good as any time to start! Youll have to explain better what poor deal the rovers were supposed to get, we are just unpaid amateurs right Plugger?
Doesn’t change the fact a lot of people think their club what ever standard that is get a raw deal. The problem with is is it’s illogical because it’s not possible. Anyway my point stands. If they do or don’t pay a free to someone and that someone gets injured he still gets injured.

Wouldn't mind seeing something like this for next week

Webster - Howard - Wilkie
Long - Carlisle - Clark
Hill - Jones - Billings
Butler - Battle - Gresham
Membrey - King - Lonie

Marshall - Steele - Ross
No Hannah?

Apologies if already covered.
You saints post a lot

Remove this Banner Ad

Back