Training 2023 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Pace for sure but football skills i query at this level. Someone has to make way and imo he would be right at the top. Who would your first three be at seasons end excluding NWM?
You know what, pes was one of the better performed guys for the Zebs last year in a team that had little to show. I’m willing to back him in based on those performances over the training at this stage.

Bytel Connolly Campbell Jones Allison Clark Highmore Peris Sharman NWM Gresham

Most of them from this list.

Sad Pauly D GIF by A Double Shot At Love With DJ Pauly D and Vinny

My belief is that you should only de-list someone if you can get someone better, though sometimes its hard to tell.

Jones: About to turn 28 (Happy birthday for tomorrow Jonesy ) , Seems to be struggling to stay on the park. Ranking ( out the door ) : ( 4)
Ross : Turns 30 in may but more reliable and consistent than Jones.
Wananeen-Milera : Only if he forces it, then we hope to get a good player back.
Byrnes : 21. at this stage offers some depth, can he improve ? (7)
Stocker : 23, is this 23 yo former early pick actually better than our other options ? (3)
Bytel : 23YO with previously limited opportunities. He needs to show he can play footy. (8)
Adams : 20YO? starting to show some signs he can play, in an area where we don't have huge depth.
Webster : Turns 30 in June, but has been Mr reliable in the backline after an injury prone start to his career. (9)
Wood : 29YO but is a very good player for us.
Highmore: Was a mature pick and is 25 now. Not exactly versatile in the types of roles he can play. (2)
McKenzie: Turns 27 in may. He has now shown he can play some good games, but jesus, not many. (5)
Connolly : We need to see if the coaches rate his chances, but looks to be a level below. (1)
Campbell : I wouldn't de-list him now but it depends what Heath, and Keeler do during the year. Even then we have limited depth.
McLennan: Cat B, No point delisting unless you find a better Cat B.
Peris : Cat B. Can we keep him Cat B for a 3rd year. If so he's not taking up a spot. (6)
Caminiti : We really need to see how he goes for the year.

Many years we de-list around 8 players, largely because it becomes obvious we are recruiting spuds.
A lot can change during the year, but as of now i don't want to see more than 7 go.
That's enough for 4 draft picks and a rookies. ( De-listing Peris only allows a Cat B rookie ).

Connolly as of right now hasn't been tearing up the track in VFL or forcing his way into seniors.
I like Highmore, but he isn't versatile and isn't demanding a spot at 25.
Stocker may or may not be able to play. The Cats aren't as stupid as we'd like to think.
Jones is getting on in years and looking like his best is behind him. He's welcome to prove me wrong.
McKenzie have been good when he plays, but he is injury prone, and not a big ball winner. Had a good career considering his output.
Peris: If we weren't going to give him a few years , we were stupid to recruit him in the first place.
Byrnes : With his iffy disposal , he needs to prove he can do plenty of good stuff to make him worth while. The likes of Hotton, Phillipou, Windhager etc, may mean that we don't need depth as deep as Byrnes. ( And hopefully we get some more midfielders in next years draft ).
Bytel can be an inside clearance/tackling machine, he needs to prove it though.

I think he did rejoin full training on Monday
Apparently he did all the training bar contact which I think he has done for a couple of weeks. I mean contact. That’s the real test. Unlike a mid who can protect himself by bracing there is no protection at all once your arms are in the air. I’m certain he will be right but how long it takes to get confident when marking above your head in contest is tge big question

What is that based on?

2022 - Hannebery, Geary, Ryder, Long, Kent, Lienert, Joyce, Kyle all last year
2021 - Carlisle, Dunstan, Lonie, Roberton, Frawley, McKernan, Clavarino, Hunter, Alabakis
2020 - Savage, Brown, Austin, Abbott, Phillips, Parker, Hind, Bell, Marsh, Langlands, Mayo
2019 - Steven, Acres, Newnes, Longer, Armitage, Bruce, White, McCartin, Rice, Young, Pierce, Rowe
2018 - Hickey, Freeman, Gilbert, Goddard, Stevens, Wright, Connellan, Minchington, Weller

Happens every year
How many of those are players retiring due to old age or permanent injury?

Rather than getting rid of them because they are not good enough

The question was how many players do we remove from the list every year, and every year it's 8-10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty heavy churn era too.

My belief is that you should only de-list someone if you can get someone better, though sometimes its hard to tell.

Jones: About to turn 28 (Happy birthday for tomorrow Jonesy ) , Seems to be struggling to stay on the park. Ranking ( out the door ) : ( 4)
Ross : Turns 30 in may but more reliable and consistent than Jones.
Wananeen-Milera : Only if he forces it, then we hope to get a good player back.
Byrnes : 21. at this stage offers some depth, can he improve ? (7)
Stocker : 23, is this 23 yo former early pick actually better than our other options ? (3)
Bytel : 23YO with previously limited opportunities. He needs to show he can play footy. (8)
Adams : 20YO? starting to show some signs he can play, in an area where we don't have huge depth.
Webster : Turns 30 in June, but has been Mr reliable in the backline after an injury prone start to his career. (9)
Wood : 29YO but is a very good player for us.
Highmore: Was a mature pick and is 25 now. Not exactly versatile in the types of roles he can play. (2)
McKenzie: Turns 27 in may. He has now shown he can play some good games, but jesus, not many. (5)
Connolly : We need to see if the coaches rate his chances, but looks to be a level below. (1)
Campbell : I wouldn't de-list him now but it depends what Heath, and Keeler do during the year. Even then we have limited depth.
McLennan: Cat B, No point delisting unless you find a better Cat B.
Peris : Cat B. Can we keep him Cat B for a 3rd year. If so he's not taking up a spot. (6)
Caminiti : We really need to see how he goes for the year.

Many years we de-list around 8 players, largely because it becomes obvious we are recruiting spuds.
A lot can change during the year, but as of now i don't want to see more than 7 go.
That's enough for 4 draft picks and a rookies. ( De-listing Peris only allows a Cat B rookie ).

Connolly as of right now hasn't been tearing up the track in VFL or forcing his way into seniors.
I like Highmore, but he isn't versatile and isn't demanding a spot at 25.
Stocker may or may not be able to play. The Cats aren't as stupid as we'd like to think.
Jones is getting on in years and looking like his best is behind him. He's welcome to prove me wrong.
McKenzie have been good when he plays, but he is injury prone, and not a big ball winner. Had a good career considering his output.
Peris: If we weren't going to give him a few years , we were stupid to recruit him in the first place.
Byrnes : With his iffy disposal , he needs to prove he can do plenty of good stuff to make him worth while. The likes of Hotton, Phillipou, Windhager etc, may mean that we don't need depth as deep as Byrnes. ( And hopefully we get some more midfielders in next years draft ).
Bytel can be an inside clearance/tackling machine, he needs to prove it though.
I’d say it’s obvious you delist hoping to get someone better but you need a Time Machine for that. All I know it’s a complete guess with 23 games to go.

6 would be unusually low. It’s hard enough to predict ladders before a game is It’s nearly impossible to predict players. I’d suggest many if not most had McKenzie gone by now. A would have had Ross.

Usually there are some obvious retirements.
After that it depends how well you drafted in previous years.
Our oldest players are still valuable, and with a couple of exceptions most of our draftees are at least showing some signs of promise.

1st de-listment. Worst player on your list, make way for our first round draft pick.
2nd de-listment. Second worst, make way for our second round draft pick.
3rd de-listment. third round pick.
4th. Its our choice. But we want to be pretty sure he's a liability or we want to be pretty sure that 4th round pick is special. Or we can say Seb Ross/Jimmy Webster/Zac Jones/Mason is still good, but in 3 years he probably won't be ( ignoring a couple of Harvey's and a Fletcher ) and make the choice for the future, probably choosing a spud in the 4th round as usual.

Don't forget the overall list size was reduced at some point ( i think ).

Doesn't this sort of stuff happen when over-compensating for an injury? Injure one leg, grind the other ankle/knee/hip into the ground, and all the muscles/joints with it.

Yes, that's where the medical team need to be at the top of their game.

You end up with an over strong muscle compensating for the weak/injured one. Then once the injured one is better, the balance is out of kilter and you get an injury easily.

We need to get better.

Usually there are some obvious retirements.
After that it depends how well you drafted in previous years.
Our oldest players are still valuable, and with a couple of exceptions most of our draftees are at least showing some signs of promise.

1st de-listment. Worst player on your list, make way for our first round draft pick.
2nd de-listment. Second worst, make way for our second round draft pick.
3rd de-listment. third round pick.
4th. Its our choice. But we want to be pretty sure he's a liability or we want to be pretty sure that 4th round pick is special. Or we can say Seb Ross/Jimmy Webster/Zac Jones/Mason is still good, but in 3 years he probably won't be ( ignoring a couple of Harvey's and a Fletcher ) and make the choice for the future, probably choosing a spud in the 4th round as usual.

Don't forget the overall list size was reduced at some point ( i think ).
No idea how many will be delisted because who know how anyone will play but I bet if we finish around 13th it will closer to 10 than 5. Probably the wrong word delisted. More likely not on our list next year.

No, it's normal. Funnily enough we turned over 11 players, higher than average, the year we made a semi final.

Semi final in a year of 17 home and away games, reduced game times, no crowds, game hubs, teams not competing to their maximum potential.

This year set back us so far, more than you could ever imagine

We culled and brought in McKernan, Frawley etc and completely stopped developing our youth.

Last edited:
Semi final in a year of 17 home and away games, reduced game times, no crowds, game hubs, teams not competing to their maximum potential.

This year set us so far, more than you could ever imagine

We culled and brought in McKernan, Frawley etc and completely stopped developing our youth.
How many mistakes were made with turning over those 11 players though. With about 4 drafts now I’d suggest nearly every club has a minimum of around 8

How many mistakes were made with turning over those 11 players though. With about 4 drafts now I’d suggest nearly every club has a minimum of around 8

The cull wasn't the problem, its who we brought in was the issue.

We topped up, if we had of concentrated on youth then you may have been seeing them ready for AFL this season.

This year set back us so far, more than you could ever imagine

Real fools gold season after papering over cracks the year before. Impatient missteps and poor list management strategy probably cost us another few years of pain and we still aren't out of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back