Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom is 203 and listed at 97 kg's. He is probably more like 100. All he has to do is bring the footy to ground and he will have Eddie and Cunners and Fish at his feet. Bring it on.
Yeah and also has a great leap, if he can catch the ball at his highest point he will cause trouble to Richmonds or anyones defence.

Because it's clear you have gone best available over structure and somewhat contradicts your line about Richmond running us off our feet if we had TDK in instead of Kennedy in the first option, yet McKay would get the nod over Kennedy in the second option

TDK is just as agile as McKay

No contradiction here, I have been consistent throughout.

Unless you think Kennedy and McKay are of similar quality which I didn’t and don’t think needs expanding on.

Best available and structure are intertwined, no idea why you are trying to separate the two.

You are looking for an argument where there isn’t one.

No contradiction here, I have been consistent throughout.

Unless you think Kennedy and McKay are of similar quality which I didn’t and don’t think needs expanding on.

Best available and structure are intertwined, no idea why you are trying to separate the two.

You are looking for an argument where there isn’t one.

Not looking for an argument at all.

Just trying to understand the statement of being too tall against the Tigers with TDK, but not McKay.

That's why I think you are picking that forward line as best available rather than a certain structure of talls, medium and small forwards, which is fine

Yes and no. I think it's a balance of the two.

I wouldn't go all out best available. But I also wouldn't select guys that are not ready or not good enough just to maintain a specific structure.

I think you start with a basic structure -
  • 2-3 tall targets (one who can relief ruck)
  • At least one small/crumbing guy
  • Fill the rest with guys that can kick goals, offer pressure and can play up the ground a bit.
You pick the most productive 6-7 guys that can fill that general brief.

I'm not going to go hardcore best available and end playing 6 talls or 6 smalls...... But I'm also not going to stick so closely to a structure that I end up playing my 10th best forward over 3rd best.

Someone like McGovern could play as a 2nd tall if needed but also play alongside Harry and Charlie as a 3rd banana.

Tldr: best available..... Within reason

This.
Richmond's (successful) forwardline structure of 2017/18 changed dramatically for 2019, when they brought in Tom Lynch.

As for the Round 1 hypothetical of Harry missing, you don't bring in TDK just because he's tall, if you don't feel like he's ready to take on a KPF role against Richmond.

Not going into the training session as a whole because there was only one thing really worthy of note for this time of the year and that was the full ground match simulation. It was only for the one quarter but it seemed to go on for a good 40 minutes.

Not involved - McKay, CCurnow, Kemp, Martin, SPS (again), McGovern, Kreuzer, Gibbons, Plowman, Casboult and Goddard.
That makes up for one quarter of the list. This isn't good at this stage of the year.

In that short time, many good things showed up, even if briefly.
We know the game Teague is playing and even given the rain, the general ball handling was closer to that of a dry day. Quite impressive.
Almost all players had some say in proceedings and by that I mean, most showed up with good signs, even if ever so brief.

Cripps, Setterfield, Walsh and Muprhy were terrific.
I feel this quartet will make up for the bulk of centre square involvements come round 1, as they worked together so well. It just looks right and again there were so many little things that Cripps and Setterfield did that should have supporters very happy just at this stage.....the little tap-ons, the shepherding for team-mates....all the little but big things....and then there's Walsh and the old guys held himself very well throughout also.

Honey was impressive and worried Newman a few times. Honey kicked two goals, but even before this week, he's really surprised me and more so than any other draftee to date. He has the advantage also, of being a forward and should anything not go to plan, a call-up may just be in the offing. Big call I know, but he has some wonderful traits that to me at least, look capable of standing up in the big games. Good kick, good burst of speed and power, looks confident in himself and his ground positioning seems OK too. I don't know how good a mark he is though.....we'll see.

Polson played in the backline and did OK. Found the ball with ease and exited it quite nicely under pressure.
Macreadie and BSilvagni also looked good at times and then we had the run out of defence via Willaimson.

Only a small thing but it looked so good to see Docherty at full tilt.
At one stage he took possession of the ball with his arm outreached behind him, and just kept running until he brought into the position he kicked from....to find his man forward.

Dow really clocked things up at the half way point and again showed his burst, resulting in good kicks going forward.
Missed a goal he should have kicked, but so did others....no big deal given circumstances.

Could probably put a few more things down here and there but again, it's almost as all contributed something but thos first mentioned mids were the standouts.

Terrific that Macreadie was involved in match sim.

HARKER, just for my running injury list, extent of involvement in drills, running, anything etc for the following, if possible:

McGovern
McKay

Hoping that the rest are just load management/soreness in the lead up to Thursday afternoon.

Not going into the training session as a whole because there was only one thing really worthy of note for this time of the year and that was the full ground match simulation. It was only for the one quarter but it seemed to go on for a good 40 minutes.

Not involved - McKay, CCurnow, Kemp, Martin, SPS (again), McGovern, Kreuzer, Gibbons, Plowman, Casboult and Goddard.
That makes up for one quarter of the list. This isn't good at this stage of the year.

In that short time, many good things showed up, even if briefly.
We know the game Teague is playing and even given the rain, the general ball handling was closer to that of a dry day. Quite impressive.
Almost all players had some say in proceedings and by that I mean, most showed up with good signs, even if ever so brief.

Cripps, Setterfield, Walsh and Muprhy were terrific.
I feel this quartet will make up for the bulk of centre square involvements come round 1, as they worked together so well. It just looks right and again there were so many little things that Cripps and Setterfield did that should have supporters very happy just at this stage.....the little tap-ons, the shepherding for team-mates....all the little but big things....and then there's Walsh and the old guys held himself very well throughout also.

Honey was impressive and worried Newman a few times. Honey kicked two goals, but even before this week, he's really surprised me and more so than any other draftee to date. He has the advantage also, of being a forward and should anything not go to plan, a call-up may just be in the offing. Big call I know, but he has some wonderful traits that to me at least, look capable of standing up in the big games. Good kick, good burst of speed and power, looks confident in himself and his ground positioning seems OK too. I don't know how good a mark he is though.....we'll see.

Polson played in the backline and did OK. Found the ball with ease and exited it quite nicely under pressure.
Macreadie and BSilvagni also looked good at times and then we had the run out of defence via Willaimson.

Only a small thing but it looked so good to see Docherty at full tilt.
At one stage he took possession of the ball with his arm outreached behind him, and just kept running until he brought into the position he kicked from....to find his man forward.

Dow really clocked things up at the half way point and again showed his burst, resulting in good kicks going forward.
Missed a goal he should have kicked, but so did others....no big deal given circumstances.

Could probably put a few more things down here and there but again, it's almost as all contributed something but thos first mentioned mids were the standouts.
Thanks Harks great post, did Cunners get a run in the middle today?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks HARKER.
Question, given what you've seen to date, who are you picking to line up on the wings Round 1?

Starting midfield -

Kreuzer Cripps Murphy
Setterfield Walsh Williamson...although it will be Newnes or maybe even O'Brien.

Let's see at years end but all being fit, the five midfielders I see taking up the bulk of centre square bounces - Cripps, Walsh, Setterfield, Murphy and ECurnow.
When you watch these guys in this short match-sim today, you recognise just how important it is no understand each other...and they did.

Starting midfield -

Kreuzer Cripps Murphy
Setterfield Walsh Williamson...although it will be Newnes or maybe even O'Brien.

Let's see at years end but all being fit, the five midfielders I see taking up the bulk of centre square bounces - Cripps, Walsh, Setterfield, Murphy and ECurnow.
When you watch these guys in this short match-sim today, you recognise just how important it is no understand each other...and they did.

So you would play Willo round 1 as the true wingman?
Is it right that he played today in defence?

I think everyone agrees that those 5 are locks.

Terrific that Macreadie was involved in match sim.

HARKER, just for my running injury list, extent of involvement in drills, running, anything etc for the following, if possible:

McGovern
McKay

Hoping that the rest are just load management/soreness in the lead up to Thursday afternoon.

McGovern can't be far away but wasn't involved. Danced around like a kid today. Very happy lad.
McKay - no involvement at all. I think I saw his right wrist bandaged up. It looked that way to me. round 1 looks a long way off for him.

SPS - Very little involvement again.
Gibbons just doing a little running.
Kemp running freely and involved on the side. Still looks like someone who isn't too far away, but we know Russell won't agree.
Martin didn't look right today. Guessing but maybe a head-ache. Big guess bu no involvement.
Kreuzer juts walking up and down. No involvement at all.
Casboult a no-show. I didn't see him anywhere today.
Plowman just involved in the side group. Didn't look to be hampered by anything.

So you would play Willo round 1 as the true wingman?
Is it right that he played today in defence?

I think everyone agrees that those 5 are locks.

If I play the game out in my head, I see him there.
That's the only way I can explain it, even though it's unlikely to be the case.

Williamson and Marchbank played in the backline today.

If I play the game out in my head, I see him there.
That's the only way I can explain it, even though it's unlikely to be the case.

Williamson and Marchbank played in the backline today.

Fair enough, and we'll obviously know more over the next 3 weeks.

I love Willo, and can definitely see him playing on the wing longer term. But if he's not playing there, he's unlikely to line up there against the Tigers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back