Play Nice 2020 Pre-Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Barlow basically said that a big part of the youth component of the side (ie Cerra, Brayshaw, Darcy, Cox, Logue etc) would need another 20-30 games to become consistent performers at this level and the injuries and unavailability of important KP players this early doesn't help things either.
It’s a fair point.
Defence lacks significant leadership. Logue is forced to be its leader having only played 23 games. It’ll be a work in progress. Cox will be outmanned quite a bit, so the fans and coaches have to be patient.
Brayshaw and Cerra have to perform as a 50-100 gamer in their third season.
Forward line is fragile.

Hogan not coming back means Tabs/Lobb have to work quickly together.
Combined with small forwards issues and questions over youth. It’ll be a long year.

Honestly on paper the 22 looks really ugly without Hogan/Pearce/Hamling. I think Logue and Cox will be good but experienced talls are gold.

So I'm not really going to be surprised if we struggle early.

Combined with small forwards issues and questions over youth. It’ll be a long year.

I don’t see the Tabs/ Lobb forward line being an issue, in fact it’s pretty dam exciting.

Small forwards... Walters goes Ok and I see lead up forwards like Sturt/McFarty and potentially Serong as a small fwd as being more than handy.

2 Talls, + 1 or 2 lead up, and 2 smalls plus a rotating mid... works for me !

I don’t see the Tabs/ Lobb forward line being an issue, in fact it’s pretty dam exciting.

Small forwards... Walters goes Ok and I see lead up forwards like Sturt/McFarty and potentially Serong as a small fwd as being more than handy.

2 Talls, + 1 or 2 lead up, and 2 smalls plus a rotating mid... works for me !
I agree there is plenty to be excited about with our forward line, our midfield with Fyfe and some growth from young mids will be servicable and despite injury the cobblers can cobble Logue and Cox with My favourite Hb Ryan into one to get us through untill Pearce / Hambling come back

Whats with all the doom and gloom on this site..There is plenty for JLo to work with

It’s a fair point.
Defence lacks significant leadership. Logue is forced to be its leader having only played 23 games. It’ll be a work in progress. Cox will be outmanned quite a bit, so the fans and coaches have to be patient.
Brayshaw and Cerra have to perform as a 50-100 gamer in their third season.
Forward line is fragile.

Underrating Luke Ryan's leadership a fair bit here.

I don't think it's pessimism - just some blackguards insisting on seeing reality how she is.

When the dial tips too far to "inexperience," bad s**t can happen. But, like I have said elsewhere, for every 2009, there's a 2010. This year we sit tight. Blood some kids. Get some more miles and game sense into Cerra and Slayshaw. Hope Moose Pearce stops breaking things. Maybe JesseBHogan shakes the black dogs off. And then flog, I don't know, maybe Hawthorn, in a home final in 2021.

I agree there is plenty to be excited about with our forward line, our midfield with Fyfe and some growth from young mids will be servicable and despite injury the cobblers can cobble Logue and Cox with My favourite Hb Ryan into one to get us through untill Pearce / Hambling come back

Whats with all the doom and gloom on this site..There is plenty for JLo to work with

I agree. It is just going to take some time for it all to come together. J Lo has the goods to coach but just as importantly, bring a group of young men together to make a team full of skill and desire.

That was snuffed out under RTB. I really do feel that this will be the turning point for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it's pessimism - just some blackguards insisting on seeing reality how she is.

When the dial tips too far to "inexperience," bad s**t can happen. But, like I have said elsewhere, for every 2009, there's a 2010. This year we sit tight. Blood some kids. Get some more miles and game sense into Cerra and Slayshaw. Hope Moose Pearce stops breaking things. Maybe JesseBHogan shakes the black dogs off. And then flog, I don't know, maybe Hawthorn, in a home final in 2021.

I agree about looking forward to next season - but not many teams go from bottom couple of teams to top eight and winning a final.

Are you saying that last year we weren't looking at things realistically? Or is it the loss of B Hill? If losing B hill takes us from an expected 10 plus wins to 3-5 wins then we are saying he is a Fyfe level talent. Not many players are the difference of approx 5 wins per year.

I don't see how we can expect to be much worse than last season - anyway - training this morning anyone?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strong.

There's a lot of indicators that each of us can attribute success or failure to... and personally, I'm seeing a lot more of the failure indicators, however we still play half our games at home which is a good head-start.

I think for us to win the wooden spoon, we'd have to be clearly worse than the second worst side in the comp which I don't think is apparent.

However, I'm confident that the improvement from 2020 to 2021 will be significant and I think we'd all be very disappointed if it wasn't.

I get confused every time I see a statement like this. Who doesn't play half their games at home?
Homes games for us >>>>>>>> home games for Victoria >>>> away games for Victoria >>>>> away games for us

I think I'd rather we got to spent months playing at the same ground over having our opponents fly over to play us.

Homes games for us >>>>>>>> home games for Victoria >>>> away games for Victoria >>>>> away games for us

I think I'd rather we got to spent months playing at the same ground over having our opponents fly over to play us.
Exactly. It isn't an advantage at all. Richmond playing 6 of their first 7 games at the MCG is an example of an advantage.

I agree about looking forward to next season - but not many teams go from bottom couple of teams to top eight and winning a final.

Are you saying that last year we weren't looking at things realistically? Or is it the loss of B Hill? If losing B hill takes us from an expected 10 plus wins to 3-5 wins then we are saying he is a Fyfe level talent. Not many players are the difference of approx 5 wins per year.

I don't see how we can expect to be much worse than last season - anyway - training this morning anyone?
Missing Hogan, Hamling, AP, Mundy and Wilson for the start of the season is the reason people are being realistic about our chances. Add in new coach, new game plan and new faces in the most important area of the ground. Yeah a fair bit has changed other than Brad Hill.

Exactly. It isn't an advantage at all. Richmond playing 6 of their first 7 games at the MCG is an example of an advantage.

OK,

Subiaco/Optus is statistically the hardest ground to play at as the away team, outside of Kardinia Park (which is skewed because their blockbuster games are mostly transferred to the MCG).

We play there (ignoring against WCE) 10 times with a clear home ground advantage, which is a pre-existing probability edge heading into that game. So 10 times a year, WCE and Fremantle head into a game with one of the most distinct home & away advantages in the entire comp, yes, conversely our 10 away games the opposite applies, but those 10 home games is the largest group of distinct advantage games in the competition.

Carlton don't have that advantage, Carlton at home to Essendon is not the same as Fremantle at home to Essendon.

Yes we are disadvantaged over the course of a season, but at home we have a higher probability of winning than most of the league. Hence why I said that it's always going to be hard for us to win the spoon, because of that edge, but by the same token it's harder for us to win away.

Missing Hogan, Hamling, AP, Mundy and Wilson for the start of the season is the reason people are being realistic about our chances. Add in new coach, new game plan and new faces in the most important area of the ground. Yeah a fair bit has changed other than Brad Hill.

Firstly - that isn't as bad as the injuries last season.

Secondly - we have no idea when Pearce - Wilson and Hogan will return. I thought Pearce and Wilson would be before round 4 - has that changed?

Mundy isn't a huge loss at this stage and we want him to play less this year.

Hamling is big. But no bigger than Tabs - Pearce - Hogan all missing more than half the season last year.

Firstly - that isn't as bad as the injuries last season.

Secondly - we have no idea when Pearce - Wilson and Hogan will return. I thought Pearce and Wilson would be before round 4 - has that changed?

Mundy isn't a huge loss at this stage and we want him to play less this year.

Hamling is big. But no bigger than Tabs - Pearce - Hogan all missing more than half the season last year.

How did we go last season when those players were missing? That's the point. Full squad or at least close to it we are around the 10-7 mark IMO which is where we were last season before injuries hit. Injuries have already hit and players coming off interrupted preseasons rarely perform at their best. That is the difference between this season and last season. Oh and plus new coach/gameplan/player positions.

Anyway, lets hope Cox & Co can hold up until AP and Hamling get back together. Cox & Co sounds like expensive cutlery to me.

OK,

Subiaco/Optus is statistically the hardest ground to play at as the away team, outside of Kardinia Park (which is skewed because their blockbuster games are mostly transferred to the MCG).

We play there (ignoring against WCE) 10 times with a clear home ground advantage, which is a pre-existing probability edge heading into that game. So 10 times a year, WCE and Fremantle head into a game with one of the most distinct home & away advantages in the entire comp, yes, conversely our 10 away games the opposite applies, but those 10 home games is the largest group of distinct advantage games in the competition.

Carlton don't have that advantage, Carlton at home to Essendon is not the same as Fremantle at home to Essendon.

Yes we are disadvantaged over the course of a season, but at home we have a higher probability of winning than most of the league. Hence why I said that it's always going to be hard for us to win the spoon, because of that edge, but by the same token it's harder for us to win away.
Rather than looking at the grounds where our stats are skewed by another team (eg West Coast) who has the highest home win rate of any team 69.83% it probably makes more sense to look at the teams individually. We have a 58.18% win rate at home historically - somewhat middle of the pack and behind Collingwood, Geelong, Adelaide, Carlton and Port. I think our so-called 'home advantage' is highlighted because we've been the 4th worst team winning away (30.36%) - so comparatively it stands out. If you look at West Coast though, they've got the 4th best away record as well (45.53%).

I just don't think the data shows a massive advantage at home, or teams travelling here are disadvantaged. I think it shows Fremantle have been far better at home than away.

I certainly don't think it makes us immune to being a candidate for a spoon - just like it didn't for WC in 2010.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back