Play Nice 2020 Pre-Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

preeeetty boring sesh today I must say, presumably wanting a light day due to the friday intraclub and the coming Marsh game. About the only excitement came from Henry suiting for the main group for the first time, he even did the whole thing without dropping back into the rehab group which I found surprising, but the reason is probably the drills were so low key / low intensity that he was allowed to stay out. Unfortunately his fellow high pick draftee, Young, was still running laps for the rehab group. My question is if he needs to be "deloaded" so much why was he so "loaded up" in the first place? Probably makes him less likely for the first Marsh game but you never know.

It felt like a Wednesday skills session which is probably why Hill wasn't sighted at all and there no full or half ground match sims or anything. Luke Ryan kicked some absolute pearler drop punt goals from acute angles in the set shot drills and Sean Darcy was jumping and rucking well in some other clearance drill towards the end. I saw Meek was back walking laps in the sandpit which I hope isn't a big deal. Tucker was also just taking it easy, not in the main drills.

McCarthy was the one who played very loose off Acres in the first half of the intraclub, whilst he played well ball in hand he was a bit of a liability

Unfortunately his fellow high pick draftee, Young, was still running laps for the rehab group. My question is if he needs to be "deloaded" so much why was he so "loaded up" in the first place? Probably makes him less likely for the first Marsh game but you never know.

I can probably shed some light here, you have a baseline muscle strength for things like quads, groins, hamstrings which become at risk (red zoning) for injury when their strength is down due to fatigue

It’s likely he’s just sore from the workload and hasn’t got that level of strength back yet on the dynos yet to clear him for full training i.e not redzoning

Last edited:

Personally, I dont really trust Bell (or the club) when it comes to injuries so I think Young probably has something wrong. we'll know if he's named in the Marsh game
I trust them to only tell us what they are happy for opposition clubs to know.

Re Young, I am thinking it is likely Serong will debut very early at this stage given he seems the most advanced. Rather than pump too many young guys in at the same time, I prefer a phased introduction. As well as the 4 most recent draftees to the main list, plus Sturt and Valente, I also expect Meek and Pina to get some games. That will take a bit of management.

It is also a different challenge joining an established backline with Pearce, Hamling, Wilson(?), and instead have the more unknown Logue and Cox for support. There will be a lot of new faces anyway in the team and so maybe holding off a week or two, see if everything is gelling and then bring Young in after he experiences a few gamedays from the sidelines.

Of course if he's not injured I hope he plays both MCS and then walks straight into the best 22 but can understand if he doesn't from week one (he won't be long getting his chance either way).

Short term yes.

Long term I’d rather get someone who can do it more than half season so we don’t have to worry about it in the future.

I have to admit this Sandi chat gives me a vision of Yoda Sandi, limping up to the oval with a walking stick, before shedding the walking stick and shredding up the field. :cool:

McCarthy was the one who played very loose off Acres in the first half of the intraclub, whilst he played well ball in hand he was a bit of a liability

To my eyes Acres was against Frederick in the first half on the left wing and McCarthy was playing high half forward.

It is also a different challenge joining an established backline with Pearce, Hamling, Wilson(?), and instead have the more unknown Logue and Cox for support. There will be a lot of new faces anyway in the team and so maybe holding off a week or two, see if everything is gelling and then bring Young in after he experiences a few gamedays from the sidelines.

Of course if he's not injured I hope he plays both MCS and then walks straight into the best 22 but can understand if he doesn't from week one (he won't be long getting his chance either way).
The start of the season is going to be unpredictable given those outs, plus a new coach and game plan.

Other things that may impact are experienced players in Conca, Aish and Hill, all with defender credentials, but actually, in my personal ideal defense below, I prefer them elsewhere. I doubt if there is much controversy about this back 6 either. I love Hill in defence, but prefer him delivering the ball forward as deep as possible. For me there is still a fair bit of early season/new coach sorting through to do, and look forward to seeing what it looks like later in the year.

Ryan Hamling Logue
Young Pearce Wilson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely he's not doing bulk laps with a strain either...
I agree with G Mus that he is most likely failing a strength test which rules him out of high intensity training because one of the muscles in his legs is sore and tired, my guess is the vastus medialis because that's a stabiliser for the knee and you're fine to run up and down but the more dynamic movement of general training could pose a risk.

It's the muscle on the inside side of your quad, right by your knee and if you have a leg extension machine (throw it out) but first you can turn your feet outwards at the height of the leg extension and the part of your upper leg burning will be that muscle.

I agree with G Mus that he is most likely failing a strength test which rules him out of high intensity training because one of the muscles in his legs is sore and tired, my guess is the vastus medialis because that's a stabiliser for the knee and you're fine to run up and down but the more dynamic movement of general training could pose a risk.

It's the muscle on the inside side of your quad, right by your knee and if you have a leg extension machine (throw it out) but first you can turn your feet outwards at the height of the leg extension and the part of your upper leg burning will be that muscle.
Pretty important for knee tracking is it?

VMO importance is outdated - baseline strength is needed however that type of weakness you won't find in an elite athlete unless they are post op/ recovering from an injury. Focus is now on glute med function/strength and hip stability when it comes to preventing knee injuries.

I know for a fact West Coast screen hips regularly. FABERS, FADDIR, BKFO, etc.

Was on 7 news, he essentially said that he could see us finishing last as opposed to explicitly predicting it (I’m guessing it was a clip from his new radio show on 6PR with Spurr and Schofield).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back