Prediction Our side round 1, 2020...?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty much agree with that although I maybe could see Witherden and Answerth being a close decision. That backline is still the biggest question on its makeup
Tend to agree with it all. A strong team but unfortunately for a few of the young guys will have to keep waiting. Adams probably under the most pressure, Birch arguably not fit enough based on GC trial. If Hawkes played tall forward line does Payne come in?

Tend to agree with it all. A strong team but unfortunately for a few of the young guys will have to keep waiting. Adams probably under the most pressure, Birch arguably not fit enough based on GC trial. If Hawkes played tall forward line does Payne come in?
Actually I now doubt if too many of the promising young guys will get a chance in the Marsh Series. That is such a shame not to give Ballenden, Ely Smith Payne and co some exposure at a higher level. Even half a game would be beneficial. From what Fages has said it appears older players (who are part of the best 22-24) will be selected for the two trial games to get match fitness into them for the start of the AFL. Stating the obvious but appears to be result driven rather than investing some game time into the young guys. If we get injuries, we could be in some trouble because we are relying upon promising young guys who haven't had any exposure to AFL level footy.

Actually I now doubt if too many of the promising young guys will get a chance in the Marsh Series. That is such a shame not to give Ballenden, Ely Smith Payne and co some exposure at a higher level. Even half a game would be beneficial. From what Fages has said it appears older players (who are part of the best 22-24) will be selected for the two trial games to get match fitness into them for the start of the AFL. Stating the obvious but appears to be result driven rather than investing some game time into the young guys. If we get injuries, we could be in some trouble because we are relying upon promising young guys who haven't had any exposure to AFL level footy.
Some of the young boys will get their chance throughout the year.
It’s up to them to play well when they get those chances and hold their spot.
That’s what makes a good team.

Some of the young boys will get their chance throughout the year.
It’s up to them to play well when they get those chances and hold their spot.
That’s what makes a good team.
Fagan seem big on players earning their spot . I remember going to the footy as a kid and you'd see guys play 3 or 4 years in the reserves before they'd get a crack . Only 18 games . Only 18 players with 2 on the bench who mightn't get a run. Less injuries , and someone who played your position had to go out for you to get a spot. Guys like Brian Taylor were kicking 8 and 9 in the twos and still not getting a game. And 12 teams.

I must say once people got a chance they were ready ,more seasoned and better for it.

Fagan seem big on players earning their spot . I remember going to the footy as a kid and you'd see guys play 3 or 4 years in the reserves before they'd get a crack . Only 18 games . Only 18 players with 2 on the bench who mightn't get a run. Less injuries , and someone who played your position had to go out for you to get a spot. Guys like Brian Taylor were kicking 8 and 9 in the twos and still not getting a game. And 12 teams.

I must say once people got a chance they were ready ,more seasoned and better for it.
A position we haven’t been in for a long time.

With 5 guys playing in the Bush Fire game, a couple of the young guys will get a game.

In principle do agree about earning spots but you would think Marsh Series would be an opportunity to give some of the promising young guys some game time. Have to remember the reserve comp you are referring to would have been stronger than the current NEAFL that our young guys play in, and because of that level of the NEAFL not sure they are ready to jump to AFL level when required. Also by all reports Ballenden played well last week in the trial and some of the comments regarding Payne and the match simulations which I have watched deserve to be recognised.

In principle do agree about earning spots but you would think Marsh Series would be an opportunity to give some of the promising young guys some game time. Have to remember the reserve comp you are referring to would have been stronger than the current NEAFL that our young guys play in, and because of that level of the NEAFL not sure they are ready to jump to AFL level when required. Also by all reports Ballenden played well last week in the trial and some of the comments regarding Payne and the match simulations which I have watched deserve to be recognised.
Sydney have never seemed to have any problem developing their players through the NEAFL?
The boys, who the Coaching staff believe are ready, will get opportunity.

Sydney have never seemed to have any problem developing their players through the NEAFL?
The boys, who the Coaching staff believe are ready, will get opportunity.
Not sure on that as the last couple of years some of the Swans older players have missed extended periods and could be argued that through injuries to those older players some of the Swans promising youth got opportunities, sooner than expected. Having watched every Lions NEAFL and AFL game last year the standard of the opposition in the NEAFL was mediocre and way below AFL level. My point is that pre season trials are a good opportunity to expose some of the promising youth, and I am glad to see Connor and Ely getting a chance and would have liked to have seen a few more eg Starc and Payne.

Not sure on that as the last couple of years some of the Swans older players have missed extended periods and could be argued that through injuries to those older players some of the Swans promising youth got opportunities, sooner than expected. Having watched every Lions NEAFL and AFL game last year the standard of the opposition in the NEAFL was mediocre and way below AFL level. My point is that pre season trials are a good opportunity to expose some of the promising youth, and I am glad to see Connor and Ely getting a chance and would have liked to have seen a few more eg Starc and Payne.
Those you mentioned may still get a g o this weekend but if not based on Fagans comments I'd expect Payne and Starc to be the two more that come in to make 24 over the 2 games

Not discounting what **** said, I think you will find the second Marsh game will see a few more 'possibles' playing. Allowing the senior locks to freshen up. You would think those that did the majority of preseason sessions and were in the best 22 last year are a) fit enough and b) know the game plan. The only caveat would be where **** thinks those locks need to build connections with new likely's I'd say.

Not discounting what **** said, I think you will find the second Marsh game will see a few more 'possibles' playing. Allowing the senior locks to freshen up. You would think those that did the majority of preseason sessions and were in the best 22 last year are a) fit enough and b) know the game plan. The only caveat would be where **** thinks those locks need to build connections with new likely's I'd say.
There's 2 weeks between game 2 of the Marsh series and the first round of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d go with

B: Gardiner Andrews Answerth
HB: Rich Adams Ah Chee
C: Robinson Neale Berry
HF: Zorko Hipwood Bailey
F: Cameron McStay Rayner
R: Martin Lyons McCluggage
Bench: McInerney, Witherden, CEY, McCarthy

I think the bolds are locks and underlined are shaky.

Need Answerth as a lock down small back to free up Rich, Witherden and Ah Chee

I think our gameplan relies on 2 rucks so Oscar gets a game.

I think CEY is required as midfield depth

Last edited:
I’d go with

B: Gardiner Andrews Answerth
HB: Rich Adams Ah Chee
C: Robinson Neale Berry
HF: Zorko Hipwood Bailey
F: Cameron McStay Rayner
R: Martin Lyons McCluggage
Bench: McInerney, Witherden, CEY, McCarthy

I think the bolds are locks and underlined are shaky.

Need Answerth as a lock down small back to free up Rich, Witherden and Ah Chee

I think our gameplan relies on 2 rucks so Oscar gets a game.

I think CEY is required as midfield depth
I am interested to see what Payne and Skinner do, youd have to think they are not pushing out Adams and Mcstay but as the season goes they may add something i hope.

Overall today was a bit of an arm wrestle and port were lethal from the 50 arc and punished us, but a really entertaining match. I thought Berry was really good physically in the first half and then didn't have that same impact in the 2nd. Ah Chee held up play when he needed to, and found a target forward of the ball, and then moved it on quickly at other times when he could and hit his target. He at least splits contests and has really impressed me so far. CEY too is doing a lot of the things he can do at his best, and i hope keeps building, his ability to bullock through and distribute an effective handball or knock to advantage is there and I have him in front of E Smith at this stage because of his sheer presence and good skills although E Smith had much less minutes. CEY rested forward and will no doubt jag a couple down there this year too. Rayner could have collected 3 marks from memory at least but his technique was not effective. His pressure is great though, tackling, locking it in, getting in the air, two way running etc and he has so much promise for this year. Clugg is a little master, moved inside outside effortlessly and was clean as ever. Unfortunately Ballenden had not much impact and appears to me to still need to consistently bring the aggression that other more seasoned neafl watchers have noted he is lacking. Doubly bad for him I guess was that Oscar was up and did a really nice move protecting the space and feinting and following through with a little poke for a goal, some of his taps to the advantage of port though...after doing it to gc too he needs to be better especially as teams are going to be streaming the ball fwd like Richmond this year and he is going to cost us important goals. McFadyen only had a qtr but didn't look up to the standard and Starcevich after taking a great mark going back with the flight didn't do too much, he may just need a bit more time in the neafl oven. Bailey is easily one of our most consistent and everpresent, and i think Witho has gone up again but keen to see more as the decision making and mental application just seems to flicker. Harsh but as he has got big Hodgeys general shoes to fill his benchmark is high. Didn't notice Adams much today.

One last crack

Gardiner, Payne, Witherden
Answerth, Andrews, Rich

Thats our best back 6 i think. Best long term too. I still have faith in Witherden at this stage. Payne is the future, just get him in there. Give him a role, a job on someone, im sure he can handle the game as well as Adams. His size frees Andrews up, to float, intercept, move the ball fwd.

McCluggage, Neale, Robbo
Stef, Lyons, Berry

No better group in the comp, lock them in every week.

Zorko, Hippwood, McCarthy
Charlie, McStay, Rayner

Haven't really seen anyone stand up here to force any changes.

Big O, AhChee, CEY, Bailey

Ah Chee has a lot to learn in the half back role. He will be given that opportunity from the bench. Come on, be given a role, instructions, he will be learning on the job. He also has the versatility to slot in on the wing or fwd. worth persisting with for long tern benifits. CEY gets first crack at the big bodied mid bench spot. Zorko, Rayner, Bailey rotating thru the midfield, his protection and def pressure must be good. Bailey gets that last bench spot just ahead of Bundy. His decision making and def pressure need to be very good to keep him there.

Id be pretty happy with that 22 kicking off the season. Pressure on a few players but thats good (withers, cey, mcstay eg). Birchall will need to show a bit more fitness/endurance wise in the last preseason and an intraclub match to crack the team i think. Adams, Matho, Bundy, Starcevich, Skinner, Cox also waiting in the wings for their chance.

Not too many changes to last year, i think fages likes that, building playing rapore, teamwork. Just enough changes to offer a bit more versatility, run, some different options.

One last crack

Answerth, Andrews, Rich

Thats our best back 6 i think. Best long term too. I still have faith in Witherden at this stage. Payne is the future, just get him in there. Give him a role, a job on someone, im sure he can handle the game as well as Adams. His size frees Andrews up, to float, intercept, move the ball fwd.

McCluggage, Neale, Robbo
Stef, Lyons, Berry

Charlie, McStay, Rayner

Ah Chee has a lot to learn in the half back role. He will be given that opportunity from the bench. Come on, be given a role, instructions, he will be learning on the job. He also has the versatility to slot in on the wing or fwd. worth persisting with for long tern benifits. CEY gets first crack at the big bodied mid bench spot. Zorko, Rayner, Bailey rotating thru the midfield, his protection and def pressure must be good. Bailey gets that last bench spot just ahead of Bundy. His decision making and def pressure need to be very good to keep him there.

Id be pretty happy with that 22 kicking off the season. Pressure on a few players but thats good (withers, cey, mcstay eg). Birchall will need to show a bit more fitness/endurance wise in the last preseason and an intraclub match to crack the team i think. Adams, Matho, Bundy, Starcevich, Skinner, Cox also waiting in the wings for their chance.

Not too many changes to last year, i think fages likes that, building playing rapore, teamwork. Just enough changes to offer a bit more versatility, run, some different options.

I like it! I'd prefer to have Bundy in over ah chee until ah chee can prove some form in the seconds but yeah, I reckon that's pretty close to our best squad

I think Payne could be the big surprise this year. I dont think there's anything adams can do that payne cant. Especially against patton if he plays first up for the hawks. Payne could shut him down surely. Harris looks so much better when he can float, he distributes the ball so well too. We've been lucky blooding good young kpd and seeing them thrive. Andrews, gardiner, justin clarke. Man i wish he got to play on. That would have been a great bedrock for our defense to this day.
Having andrews, clarke and darcy as a combo we may not have needed hodge. Butterfly effect hey.

Last edited:
I like it! I'd prefer to have Bundy in over ah chee until ah chee can prove some form in the seconds but yeah, I reckon that's pretty close to our best squad
Im with ya, i love the pressure bundy brings at his best and he usually bobs up with a cpl of goals. He may not be there fitness wise yet. They will stick with Ah Chee, gotta get that work into him as early as possible. If he is to become the halfback speed etc, they need to start game 1. If he has footy smarts he should pick it up, i am expecting many positional errors in defense to start with. Worth the investment at this stage.

Im with ya, i love the pressure bundy brings at his best and he usually bobs up with a cpl of goals. He may not be there fitness wise yet. They will stick with Ah Chee, gotta get that work into him as early as possible. If he is to become the halfback speed etc, they need to start game 1. If he has footy smarts he should pick it up, i am expecting many positional errors in defense to start with. Worth the investment at this stage.

I'm totally OK with that as long as it doesn't come at the expense of Noah - really liked what I saw last year and think he has a real future

Edit: looking at the list you posted I'd say it'd be linc or cey I'd be most happy to exclude for ah chee and bundy. With that said I still feel ah chee probably has to earn the spot on principle, particularly given most of the other guys on the list stood up and delivered for us last year in either the firsts or neafl. He doesn't have the afl runs under his belt for me to feel totally comfortable with him taking the spot straight off

Last edited:
One last crack

Answerth, Andrews, Rich

McCluggage, Neale, Robbo
Stef, Lyons, Berry

Charlie, McStay, Rayner

Yes I think Fages likes a stable side but I believe young blokes Skinner, Starc, etc will be given opportunities this year. I would love to see Payne there and agree with your comments, I had him as my 'smokey' for round 1, but not being picked in last weeks Marsh series against Port I think they are looking for experience for the MCG in round 1. I suppose IF he gets picked for the Carlton trial game and goes well he is a chance.

We have the number 1 ranked midfield and are ranked 17th for forward lines. Fagan needs to fix this otherwise we are going to go backwards. As the above article makes clear, we need a true full forward and that isn’t McStay. “But he plays his role,” people say, well he does, as the full forward in the forward line ranked 17th in the competition. He’s had his chances. You can be guaranteed that we will see changes here in season 2020. I would keep McStay in the side though, but play him in defence where he belongs.

We have the number 1 ranked midfield and are ranked 17th for forward lines.
I would have thought you'd raise bigger questions about how we have the AA small forward and a 30+ goal key forward who is still very much on the young side, yet are still ranked second worst.

Carlton is ranked 13th despite having no one kicking as many goals as Hipwood. Adelaide rank above us with only one player still on their list kicking more than 20 goals last year. Fremantle have a worse small forward and a worse KPF but are "better". No one at Melbourne averaged more than a goal a game, and no one was above 1.3 a game at Port. And yet somehow we ranked 17th???

Moving or getting rid of McStay will make bugger all difference to that ranking - I don't think he's got a -5 to team rankings hidden under his guernsey.

Hey Dlanod, I’m talking about a “fine tune” not wholesale changes to our forward line. Let’s see what Fagan does. You can bet he has looked at the last quarter of the GWS final more than once and had a think about our forward set up. One thing for sure, if Fagan does move McStay away from Full Forward there will be plenty of posters on our board falling into line and portraying Fagan’s move as a common sense decision.
I see McStay as in our best 22, but in the backline. He is a quality young man and a genuine long term asset to our club. He has speed, courage, can take a grab and as a poster pointed out in the JLT thread, a good disposal efficiency rate. I would like to see McStay playing in Witherden’s place.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back