Prediction Our side round 1, 2020...?

Remove this Banner Ad

If everyone stands up we've got the chance of playing Zorko forward for a good portion of games. Who's going to cope with Cameron and a fresh Zorko in the forward half ? Zorks takes a lot of punishment, at this stage of his career he'd be lethal in the forward half for 2 or 3 years yet. It's just a matter of say a Rayner being able to take more M/F time and CEY slotting in.

Berry is a gun . Fit and well he's in our best 8 or 10 players end of story. Likewise I'm a fan of McInerny because he's got quite a bit of skill inside and he's so big that just propping him forward always creates a problematic contest for the defenders. But he needs to show that he's built his tank from last year when he was tiring towards the end of games .

Can’t see Bailey being left out . He has elite speed which can either break lines or put immense pressure inside the forward 50 . Plus he is very hard at the contest . He is one I think we are very bullish about . They have pumped games into him early and now I think he goes to another level this season . Very exiting to know we have guys like ( Bailey , Rayner , Berry , clugga , starce, hipwood that are all gonna go up w level )

Can’t see Bailey being left out . He has elite speed which can either break lines or put immense pressure inside the forward 50 . Plus he is very hard at the contest . He is one I think we are very bullish about . They have pumped games into him early and now I think he goes to another level this season . Very exiting to know we have guys like ( Bailey , Rayner , Berry , clugga , starce, hipwood that are all gonna go up w level )
Yeah I'm a big fan of Bailey. I'm a big believer in all of our highly rated young guys that aren't yet cemented in our best 22 yet though. That includes Bailey, Cox, Answerth, Starcevich, Ely Smith, and Dev Roberson. I'm pretty bullish that those 6 guys are going to be quality, long term players for us and carry us into many finals series alongside guys like Andrews, Hipwood, Ah Chee, McCluggage, Berry, Rayner and Witherden. That's 13 guys right there, 11 of which were drafted inside the top 25 and Answerth might've been as well if not for that back injury in his draft year, he was a steal as was Andrews as a late academy selection!

Draft year-
2014- Harris Andrews
2015- Callum Ah Chee, Eric Hipwood
2016- Hugh McCluggage, Jarrod Berry, Alex Witherden, Cedric Cox
2017- Cameron Rayner, Zac Bailey, Brandon Starcevich
2018- Ely Smith, Noah Answerth
2019- Deven Robertson

^Nucleus of our side for the next decade in my opinion and I understand I say that about guys who are yet to debut but I'm very bullish on Ely and Dev.

It says a lot that pretty much all the best 22 combinations being thrown around seem equally plausible. I reckon we'll see a reasonable amount of rotation, particularly in the first half of the year as players are given the chance to lock down a spot

From reading here, a lot of posters expecting the three trades in players to be locked in best 22 come round 1.

With Hodge the only best 22 player to have left the playing list, that’s two players dropping out of the best 22.

Though not playing the same role as Hodge, many posters expect Birchall to step in.

Bundy seems an obvious omission due to an interrupted preseason. And Zorko moving into the forward 6 opens a mid spot, and there’s been a lot of talk from the club of CEY providing protection for Neale.

That leaves someone to miss out for Ah Chee.

One of Answerth or Bailey seem the most obvious candidates to me.

From perspective Bailey seems the more likely to miss out.

Answerth is our only proper lock down small defender to play on opposition small forwards. And can play up on a wing as well.

Ah Chee can play both half back and half forward, which allows for a lot of team flexibility. Allowing Zorko and Rayner to play through the midfield, and Zorko can also play on the wing.

Bailey I like most in the midfield but he seems to have been pegged to play off a flank which I think he does well enough but in my opinion is probably not the best use of his skills. He might be the first one to go out of the team and if so I would hope that he goes back to the reserves and plays as a full time mid. I would not be surprised to see him excel at that level and demand a chance at AFL level.

He has nice hands and vision in tight and he is absolutely elite in the way he moves through traffic. He could be a real weapon in there if he gets it all together giving us great go forward from clearances.

With a few intra club games to come (one today) and 2 Marsh community games to follow we will all get a better idea of those last few spots available.
As things hot up for spots let's hope for no injuries.
I wonder if they will play 3 or 4 quarters today.

He may not make round one but i am looking forward to seeing Deven Robertson. He looks like a Lachie Neale type player. We can only hope this eventuates.
I noticed in that group photo he even has Lachie type thigh's. Lachie listed as 1 kg heavier with Deven being 6 cm taller.

I still wonder if Birchall could displace Adams and play 3rd tall.

Ah Chee replaces Hodge and CEY replaces Bundy with Zorko playing more forward.

Bailey played very well in the intra club game last Friday and Payne's effort mainly against Hippy was real good. Hippy enjoyed more freedom in the 4Q when Payne played a little more up-field against other opponents. Payne has the size and speed to mark the tall forwards and Hawthorne have some tall forwards. I think Bailey is already in for round 1, but if Payne plays anything like he did last Friday or even the previous weeks intra-club game in the upcoming trials then surely he has to play in lieu of Adams. Apart from one very good game against Geelong (where arguably Hawkins was a touch out of form) Adams has at best been solid to at times very ordinary.
So for me Payne is the smokey for round 1, obviously Birchall wants to play so if fit and ready he is selected and unfortunately Answerth misses out. I am very bullish on a lot of the young guys, Answerth (who was great in his first year) Payne (who probably would have debut in 2018 but for long term injury) Starc, Skinner, Ely Smith, Woller and others who are pushing very hard for selection and surely they play at some stage this year. Fages seems to be loyal which is obviously a positive, but for some of the young guys they have shown enough to warrant selection this year especially if regular first graders are out of form.

Im wrapped that theres so much positive discussion around our best 22 for game 1. Im also excited that there are so many young blokes in the discussion. Payne, Skinner, Starcevich for eg. Theres probably only a handful of players that cant (Allison, Lester, maybe Hinge) or arent ready (Madden, Prior, B Smith, Mcfadyen, Coleman, maybe Joyce n T Berry) to step up this year. Its comforting to know that whomever is selected for round 1, will have well and truly earnt their spot. It will all come down to injuries and match ups.

I dont think ive looked fwd to a season more than this year.

Im wrapped that theres so much positive discussion around our best 22 for game 1. Im also excited that there are so many young blokes in the discussion. Payne, Skinner, Starcevich for eg. Theres probably only a handful of players that cant (Allison, Lester, maybe Hinge) or arent ready (Madden, Prior, B Smith, Mcfadyen, Coleman, maybe Joyce n T Berry) to step up this year. Its comforting to know that whomever is selected for round 1, will have well and truly earnt their spot. It will all come down to injuries and match ups.

I dont think ive looked fwd to a season more than this year.
Totally agree what we want is a squad of players who can play in the 1sts. You want around 28 to 30 players. The NEAFL is really used to develop players who have AFL attributes but are not completely ready for the transition. The longer they play in the reserves the better because when they get their chance in the 1sts they will know how to play their role and will be hungrier to keep their position. From memory Michael Tuck and Robert Dipiderminico played in the Hawthorn reserves for about 3 to 4 years and look what they became.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll have a go.

FB: Darcy Gardiner, Marcus Adams, Alex Witherden

HB: Grant Birchall, Harris Andrews, Daniel Rich

C: Hugh McCluggage, Lachie Neale, Mitch Robinson

HF: Lincoln McCarthy, Eric Hipwood, Dayne Zorko

FF: Charlie Cameron, Daniel McStay, Cam Rayner

FOLL: Stefan Martin, Jarryd Lyons, Cam Ellis-Yolmen

I/C: Jarrod Berry, Oscar McInerney, Callum Ah Chee, Noah Answerth

EMER: Zac Bailey, Allen Christensen, Rhys Mathieson, Sam Skinner

Other thoughts:

CEY - Been a fan of his for years, is underrated and has been unlucky with injuries. Fills a need for us as a big-bodied midfielder.

Ah Chee - Has potential, will be in the mix for spots, can see him being a handy player for us at either end of the ground (though I think more likely in defence).

Birchall - If he can get on the park, helps to at least somewhat fill the hodge-void. If he doesn't, didn't cost us anything so no big deal.

Am glad we've somewhat cleared up the rabble with letting go guys like N Robertson, Walker, Keays (bit sad to have lost Cutler though, reckon he'll go alright at Essendon); as it should mean that when injuries arise, we should get to see guys like Skinner, Hinge, D Robertson, E Smith, C Lyons, Starcevich, Wooller etc.

Will be interesting to see if those guys get a go ahead of guys like Mathieson, Lester, Christensen etc.; hopefully they do.

I'll have a go.

FB: Darcy Gardiner, Marcus Adams, Alex Witherden

HB: Grant Birchall, Harris Andrews, Daniel Rich

C: Hugh McCluggage, Lachie Neale, Mitch Robinson

HF: Lincoln McCarthy, Eric Hipwood, Dayne Zorko

FF: Charlie Cameron, Daniel McStay, Cam Rayner

FOLL: Stefan Martin, Jarryd Lyons, Cam Ellis-Yolmen

I/C: Jarrod Berry, Oscar McInerney, Callum Ah Chee, Noah Answerth

EMER: Zac Bailey, Allen Christensen, Rhys Mathieson, Sam Skinner

Other thoughts:

CEY - Been a fan of his for years, is underrated and has been unlucky with injuries. Fills a need for us as a big-bodied midfielder.

Ah Chee - Has potential, will be in the mix for spots, can see him being a handy player for us at either end of the ground (though I think more likely in defence).

Birchall - If he can get on the park, helps to at least somewhat fill the hodge-void. If he doesn't, didn't cost us anything so no big deal.

Am glad we've somewhat cleared up the rabble with letting go guys like N Robertson, Walker, Keays (bit sad to have lost Cutler though, reckon he'll go alright at Essendon); as it should mean that when injuries arise, we should get to see guys like Skinner, Hinge, D Robertson, E Smith, C Lyons, Starcevich, Wooller etc.

Will be interesting to see if those guys get a go ahead of guys like Mathieson, Lester, Christensen etc.; hopefully they do.
Feel like Bailey is gonna get a shot in Round 1. Looks primed to have a breakout season withi his 3/4 goal intra club match and also pretty good in the one before that. I would also love to see Skinner get a go infront of O'Mac but l doubt that would happen

This team will match it across the park with any team in the comp this year! Perfect balance of tall, mobile, quick, strong and smart players.

Answerth Adams Gardiner
Birchall Andrews Rich
Robinson CEY McCluggage
Martin Neale Lyons
Zorko Hipwood McCarthy
Skinner Big O Cameron

Witho (Def) Bailey (Def/Mid/Fwd) Berry(Mid) Rayner (fwd)

Backline has strength, experience, two lethal kicks and aerial prowess. Bailey can add speed when required.

Midfield is elite.

The forward line is dangerous - Hipwood roaming high, with Skinner leading up at the footy and Big O clunking grabs inside 30m. Anything brought to ground will be swooped on by the four rocket smalls.

Key players to watch for form/fitness:
Adams - needs to improve on his finals appearances. Could be replaced by Eagles
Birchall - query on his pace/body still up to it
Skinner - goes against popular belief starting over McStay, but he hasn't shown a lick of marking/kicking improvement so it's time for a change.

MCG Round 1 vs a team with a great midfield - Big Boy, Worpel, OMeara and Mitchell (though my mail is his leg is nqr). What better way to start the year!
That team made my heart skip a beat. Don't think we have had such a talented list for a long time.

For me my only change would be Skinner for McStay. I like the youth of Bailey but I feel Christo might get that for experience if he can get himself right.

That team made my heart skip a beat. Don't think we have had such a talented list for a long time.

For me my only change would be Skinner for McStay. I like the youth of Bailey but I feel Christo might get that for experience if he can get himself right.
I also would love to see some young guys, so yes for Skinner and Bailey and ADAMS needs to lift otherwise bring the 'payne'
Eagles cannot play ALF as a cat B rookie, nor should he over Payne. For me Payne is ready to go if he plays well in the upcoming Marsh series games he should be in for round 1. He probably would have have already debut in 2018 but for a season long injury. So yes from me for some of the young guys.

I also would love to see some young guys, so yes for Skinner and Bailey and ADAMS needs to lift otherwise bring the 'payne'
Eagles cannot play ALF as a cat B rookie, nor should he over Payne. For me Payne is ready to go if he plays well in the upcoming Marsh series games he should be in for round 1. He probably would have have already debut in 2018 but for a season long injury. So yes from me for some of the young guys.
Agree on Payne after reading reviews of his Intraclub game, and my mistake on Eagles. A monster at full back would bring back sweet, sweet memories of Mal Michael, and Lynch when he was at the Roys.

IMO Jack Payne is a huge chance to be selected v the Hawks in front of Marcus Adams, just has to continue is outstanding pre season into the scratch match v the Suns tomorrow and the 2 official pre season games. Also looking forward to how Keidean Coleman and Deven Robertson go, both could be smokies for round 1.

IMO Jack Payne is a huge chance to be selected v the Hawks in front of Marcus Adams, just has to continue is outstanding pre season into the scratch match v the Suns tomorrow and the 2 official pre season games. Also looking forward to how Keidean Coleman and Deven Robertson go, both could be smokies for round 1.

Keidean Coleman is my smokey for our surprise breakout youngster this year

Keidean Coleman is my smokey for our surprise breakout youngster this year

Who is he pushing out though?

I really love what he brings, but he isn't getting Rayner, Cameron, McCarthy or Zorkos spot up forward. Will rely on injuries and even then is against Cox.

I really love what he brings, but he isn't getting Rayner, Cameron, McCarthy or Zorkos spot up forward. Will rely on injuries and even then is against Cox.

Reckon his path would come from an early season trial rotation for Bundy's spot and doing enough from the get go that he isn't shifted, similar to how Noah locked down a spot last year. Definitely a smokey though

This is my round 1 side posted in October last year in this thread, it will be extremely hard for Keidean to grab a spot in that side which is why I think he is only a smokie.... maybe he could push out one of the guys on my bench, also would require a shuffle but he could come in for Birchall if he's not fully fit by round 1. The bolded are absolute locks for round 1 barring injury, IMO the match committee will stick with the guys who displayed good season long form in 2019 for the early few rounds at least, Bailey very close to a lock as well.

Grant Birchall, Harris Andrews, Marcus Adams.
Daniel Rich, Darcy Gardiner, Noah Answerth.

Stef Martin, Lachie Neale, Hugh McCluggage.
Jarrod Berry, Jarryd Lyons, Mitch Robinson.

Cam Rayner, Daniel McStay, Lincoln McCarthy.
Dayne Zorko, Eric Hipwwod, Charlie Cameron.

Zac Bailey, Cam Ellis-Yolmen, Alex Witherden, Callum Ah Chee.

This is my round 1 side posted in October last year in this thread, it will be extremely hard for Keidean to grab a spot in that side which is why I think he is only a smokie.... maybe he could push out one of the guys on my bench, also would require a shuffle but he could come in for Birchall if he's not fully fit by round 1. The bolded are absolute locks for round 1 barring injury, IMO the match committee will stick with the guys who displayed good season long form in 2019 for the early few rounds at least, Bailey very close to a lock as well.

Good list. Reckon Adams is probably going to be challenged for his position but that's one that'll definitely be filled by a defender. I suspect the most likely chance that another forward / mid will get a run is in the spot pencilled in for birch given the fitness concerns and likely best 22 defenders already on your interchange. That's actually the list spot I had pencilled in for Bundy if fit

Pretty much agree with that although I maybe could see Witherden and Answerth being a close decision. That backline is still the biggest question on its makeup

Remove this Banner Ad

Back