Health Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
People punching each other for toilet paper at Coles is an overreaction based on panic, sure.

The fallout from this virus is no joke. Regardless of whether you actually get it or not, it's going to affect your life and everyone's life for the next year at least. I don't think the shutting down of mass gatherings is an overreaction at all. This thing is only just getting started. A few weeks ago it was contained to China and Australia had no reason to worry.
I don’t think the virus would be anything to worry about.. if half of the human species weren’t brain dead morons. People were either too carefree about it (walking around while waiting for test results/travelling to and from hotspots) or absolutely hysterical. All the leaders sitting on their hands waiting for something to happen rather than being proactive and stamping it out the instant there was a threat.

I mean.. when people decide that emptying the toilet paper shelves is the first and best course of action (ironically all grouped together in a confined space increasing their risk at catching it), it’s hardly surprising we’ve got to this point.. and s**t hasn’t really even hit the fan yet. Wait till it breaks out properly, the place will turn into an irrational free for all.

I hope if we get through it relatively well and anything like this pops up in the future that there would have been a lot of lessons learnt.

I know of people who have friends in New York that are trying to cancel flights to Australia for next week but qantas is insisting to charge them $4000.

When this NY couple told qantas someone in their building has coronavirus and if they came to Australia they might spread it to Australia qantas reply was NOT OUR PROBLEM.
Highlights both points perfectly
1 money is king and is all that matters and will trump all. It's the society we live in
2 Shows even with corona virus about it has * all effect on 99.999percent and this is all bullshit

This isn't a media conspiracy, our top doctors and scientists aren't just trying to scare people for reasons. Apocalyptic scenarios are stupid, but so is any suggestion that this is just a normal flu, there's nothing to see here, its just to sell papers etc. It's a new disease that can kill people that is transmitted quickly that we don't have a vaccine for: exactly the kind of thing we might want to stop as hard and as fast as possible.
Have you bothered to read the Time article I posted earlier?

It seems like a daft question but why aren't we getting things like portable buildings, caravans whatever to use as a makeshift hospital to at least try to take some load off the actual hospitals.

If it does get to Italy levels then anything is surely better than nothing?

It seems like a daft question but why aren't we getting things like portable buildings, caravans whatever to use as a makeshift hospital to at least try to take some load off the actual hospitals.

Could be set up in basket ball courts or just use hotels and then you dont need beds

That would require leaders with vision and foresight, instead we have a bloke who s**t himself at Engadine Maccas.

If I go down I won't go to hospital and burden the system, I really don't think there would be much they could do anyway that I can't try and manage at home. You could go in very weakened and get some other nasty bug the infected have picked up on top. I don't have a spleen and considered high risk, doctors appointment tomorrow so I'll get scripts for anything I might need just in case, paint a big red 'C' on the door and lock down.

If I go down I won't go to hospital and burden the system, I really don't think there would be much they could do anyway that I can't try and manage at home. You could go in very weakened and get some other nasty bug the infected have picked up on top. I don't have a spleen and considered high risk, doctors appointment tomorrow so I'll get scripts for anything I might need just in case, paint a big red 'C' on the door and lock down.
If it gets you bad and you get pneumonia you will need to be in hospital sedated with oxygen

Yep this is what worried me about going in 3 weeks time getting stuck somewhere and having to pay a fortune to get the hell out

I’ll just take my flight credit and go in 6-12 months when hopefully this blows over
these guys are not even being offered credit!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it gets you bad and you get pneumonia you will need to be in hospital sedated with oxygen

They ran out of ventilators in Italy ages ago. I haven't heard anything yet from the government about how many they have here and I couldn't think of anything worse than lying on a stretcher in a packed and stuffy hospital needing oxygen and they've run out of ventilators. Hospitals pay over $30k just for one. You can make a DIY ventilator anyway apparently.

Same I'm rolling the dice

They ran out of ventilators in Italy ages ago. I haven't heard anything yet from the government about how many they have here and I couldn't think of anything worse than lying on a stretcher in a packed and stuffy hospital needing oxygen and they've run out of ventilators. Hospitals pay over $30k just for one. You can make a DIY ventilator anyway apparently.
I think the sedation is a part of making you need less oxygen and also to allow you to lie on your back so the top of your lungs arent flooded with mucus and they can absorb oxygen

About to eat some fruit. Just thinking, what if it is revealed that a fruit picker has the virus?
It may be possible to use an ozonator (in water) to clean the outside surfaces of fruit.

I bought one off a friend years ago who's a retired nuclear scientist, so I trust his advice that it works. I just hope it's still working!

The virus can live for several days on surfaces, possibly up to 10 days. Anything you handle could be infected with the virus now.

Geelong is officially on the board.
Ticked most of the boxes too
.-just flew in from the US
- fell ill almost immediately
-still went to work in a shopping centre

Not always but I can get a script tomorrow for an opoid if that's what you mean by sedation?
Im not sure ??
thats what Ive cobbled together from what Ive read
I remeber the dose was important, not too much to stop you breathing, but enough to stop you needing too much oxygen and moving too much.

Im not sure ??
thats what Ive cobbled together from what Ive read
I remeber the dose was important, not too much to stop you breathing, but enough to stop you needing too much oxygen and moving too much.

I just got a private message from someone, apparently the government is looking into getting more ventilators after the Ialian experience. There's some horror stories coming out of there where families of the infected are saying the medical staff are in a position now of choosing who lives and who dies it's got that bad.

It seems to be the case now that this is now endemic in pretty much every region of the world. It is now more about managing the fallout rather than trying to prevent it. The risk of pneumonia seems to be one of the biggest risks.

The best thing you can do is have a healthy immune system - sufficient sleep/rest, low or no stress, plenty of sun (vitamin D), exercise, good diet, cold showers, no smoking, etc.

Shutting down daily life entirely may actually lead to greater catastrophe given the levels of both public and private debt in Australia. I think given the trade wars last year, bushfires over the summer, and now the Wuhan virus running amok that the Federal Government will need to provide fiscal stimulus. The Hong Kong government has done this already.

Formula One star Daniel Ricciardo has been pulled out of a scheduled Renault team media conference to protect him from coronavirus, while three crew from other teams have been placed in self-isolation after displaying symptoms of the illness just days out from the Australian Grand Prix.

Just nuts going ahead with these huge events in the current pandemic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back