Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - season postponed. (Thread part 1 - cont in part 2, link in thread)

Has the coronavirus outbreak made you reconsider attending the footy

• Yes

Votes: 285 44.9%
  • No

Votes: 350 55.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1583256474687.png
I stand corrected then. Its worse then i thought.

How do you think most people get to football games in Australia?

Yes, public transport. So if we cancelled a non-essential game of football and ten's of thousands of people didn't use the public transport system for said game we could avoid potentially exacerbating the problem.

So you agree, cancelling a game of football is a good idea.

Ahhh are you thick? I have said multiple times that the AFL should play without crowds, but again. Not thick enough to think thats going to have any significant impact when millions use PT regardless of AFL.

What if he said no i like it here.
Then he can stay. No biggie. There is probably already thousands infected, we just don’t know it yet.

Your thought process is bizarre. So because nothing is 100% we shouldn't do anything and what happens, happens.

Honestly, what the hell are you talking about? I have said not to have AFL games played in front of fans...BUT I also don't think like some that this is the magical cure to slowing down the virus when day to day life continues. FFS. What is your thought process? Cancel games but continue to go about everyday life the same? Sit on a train where thousands have sat that day? Stand on a crowded platform to get home? FFS.

Not in any post have I said to do nothing. Just that the thing that will happen is nothing more than a PR exercise when morons like yourself think an AFL game is the biggest threat when in fact its just stepping on a train to go to work.

I am a retired naturopath with 70+ years of life force training. People should expose themselves to the Corona Virus before Winter so they can lessen the risk of catching a combined Flu + Corona Virus super bug.

This isn't an all or nothing thing. PT is necessary, football isn't, so football is the sacrifice. Shutting down football doesn't mean we also need to lock people inside their homes so that no one gets this virus ever again. Let's be reasonable.

I agree on having AFL with no crowds though. I have said that in almost all posts (not the one nuffy quoted and attacked though), but I refuse to believe its even close to the most effective way of slowing the virus down. They are shutting people away in Italy and did in China as well...just saying.

Oh, get over yourself.

Unless literally every single person locks themselves inside for weeks then this is going to circulate.

Did you go to work today? Or to the shops? Or interact with anybody at all? Because if you did, you're a hypocrite.
Stop being so belligerent man. People are allowed to be concerned, this isnt the flu.

It is inevitable that the virus will infect most of us at some point... Closing gatherings (including sporting events) means we can try and slow/control the spread, reducing pressure on hospitals etc.

If we just bashed on as normal it would spread so much faster and hospitals would be overloaded, meaning more deaths.

I love footy but i love my elderly mother much more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are correct 500 times is too high. I over embellished. However, Observed mortality is 3.9 percent. Much higher in italy Near 6. Flu mortality is well below 0.1 percent. Between 0.01-0.1 percent. How exactly do you get a range of 15-35 With those numbers?

Likely 500 times was the term you used (lol)

Countless national medical officers have claimed that the actual rate (and this is irrelevent because observed case mortality rate has bugger all to do with risk of infection, actual infection and critical infection on a case by case basis) is closer to 1% allowing for those that show minor or no symptoms.

Also, the rate of mortality for seasonal influenza has been quoted at 0.1% in countless publications. Another...

The flu takes up to 650,000 people each year so at 0.1 per cent mortality, a 1 per cent mortaltiy could take up to 6.5 million people (although this has a different passage for infection)

Mind you, between 6-12 million deaths dwarfs any other pandemic since the Spanish Flu (the Asian Flu took 2-4 million, the HK Flu took up to 2 million, Swine Flu took up to 575,000

Yeah but 3.9% of all cases end in death, so we're all going to die :drunk:

They are not critical important to the economy.

They are important to the people with shops in those shopping centres or are employed in those shops and to shareholders in the shopping centre owners.
Retail isn’t critical to the economy?

Despite you suggesting to be reasonable, to achieve the desired goal, it probably is unfortunately. Community spread is equally or far more likely at
Schools
Airports
Offices
Universities
Trades and services spaces
Retail
Public transport
Restaurants
Bars
Public spaces
Factories
100 other things...

If all of them aren't also significantly adjusted, what good does closing sporting events do?
All of them may be significantly adjusted in the near future. Football is just easier because it is a non-essential form of entertainment that brings 10,000s of people to one location at one time, so why risk it? Shutting down football will affect people far less than a lot of those other things. Schools, airports, retail, factories, public transport are more essential than Viccy kicky.

Shut down public transport and a lot of people lose their jobs which means they lose their ability to pay expenses. Disabled people lose their mobility which makes access to healthcare harder. Low income and pensioners will find it more difficult to purchase basic household goods. Shut down football games and bogans will need to find something else to do on the weekend.

Stop being so belligerent man. People are allowed to be concerned, this isnt the flu.

It is inevitable that the virus will infect most of us at some point... Closing gatherings (including sporting events) means we can try and slow/control the spread, reducing pressure on hospitals etc.

If we just bashed on as normal it would spread so much faster and hospitals would be overloaded, meaning more deaths.

I love footy but i love my elderly mother much more.

Exactly, it's dangerous to understate this...

And it's also dangerous to overstate it too...

Both can create havoc and lure people into dangerous behaviours

I am suggesting that people fighting in Woolies over loo roll is not a measured response. It is an irrational disgrace.

I would also suggest that governments often feel like they have to be seen to be doing something. Governments like to be voted back in and keep the majority as happy as possible. Trump's kneejerk action today is evidence of this.

Shutting the borders is an irrational response. That will cripple an economy already on its knees.

A measured response is what we have done and that is stop visitors from the most affected areas.
So the government is doing the right thing and as long as people dont punch on at woolies over dunny roll you reckon all is good.

wow, sure i read you lampooning all and sundry re pro active responses to the virus.

I see our Prime Minister is addressing the nation at 7 pm.

It will be interesting to see what the outcome is.
Obviously not major, otherwise he’d do it instantly. Or Is he playing politics to be on tv in prime time on the first day this week without mafs

All of them may be significantly adjusted in the near future. Football is just easier because it is a non-essential form of entertainment that brings 10,000s of people to one location at one time, so why risk it? Shutting down football will affect people far less than a lot of those other things. Schools, airports, retail, factories, public transport are more essential than Viccy kicky.

Shut down public transport and a lot of people lose their jobs which means they lose their ability to pay expenses. Disabled people lose their mobility which makes access to healthcare harder. Low income and pensioners will find it harder/more expensive to purchase basic household goods. Shut down football games and bogans will need to find something else to do on the weekend.

So you agree its just a PR exercise to be shown to be doing something. Because Italy didn't just cancel soccer games and all was well.

I agree on having AFL with no crowds though. I have said that in almost all posts (not the one nuffy quoted and attacked though), but I refuse to believe its even close to the most effective way of slowing the virus down. They are shutting people away in Italy and did in China as well...just saying.
Who said anything about it being the most effective way to slow the Corona Virus down? Please show us?

It is one part of a plan to slow down the rate of spread. Along with travel bans, separate Corona virus testing centres, closing schools, advising people to work from home if possible, online doctor appointments, self-isolation, closing child care centres, stopping large gatherings, limiting public transport. Have you read WA's pandemic plan? It's all in there.

To put this all into scale, an expert said that half of America is likely to get infected by the Corona Virus. America has a population of 327 million. If half of America gets infected by the Corona Virus that is 163 million people.

Now if the fatality rate of Corona is 2%, 2% of 163 million people is 3.26 million people potentially dying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back