How can we ensure our Future

Remove this Banner Ad

In my opinion the biggest problem that our club faces is the perception that we will relocate to the Gold Coast. Once the new board is in place, they need to develop a clear vision for where our club is headed, and that vision must be communicated to the members and the broader community. I would like to see more communication from the Board and would welcome a regular newsletter from our Chairman.

Our club needs a “makeover” as currently our image is very poor. We will never be the biggest club but we can be the best. Our image problems can’t be solved overnight but the club can start by adopting a positive attitude. In my opinion the club needs to stop begging and bullying people into buying memberships. We also need to stop all club officials from making negative statements. Here are two examples:
• our coach saying that we can’t afford to drop down the ladder or we won’t have a club to support
• Geoff Walsh stating that only one third of the people that bought thickets to the North Story were members. The North Story was a fantastic event, and rather than celebrate the positives this statement put a negative spin on it.

The problems with our membership department need to be sorted out urgently. I honestly believe that the record membership levels achieved each year have disguised problems. If you take my household as an example we seem to have problems every year. Last year we received our renewals only three days before the cut off date to keep our reserved seats. This year we only received four renewal notices when we have five memberships. We diehards put up with this poor service but many people get fed up and simply walk away. Also delivery of the memberships needs to be speeded up to prevent reverse work flows. I know it is only a small thing but surely the membership numbers on the web site could have been updated before the staff went on leave.

I would be happy to donate a junior membership or a set amount of money if it was used to promote the club in an organised way. I made this suggestion to Anthony Hargraves a couple of years ago but nothing has come of it. Limerick hopefully you might be able to get this off the ground. The club should introduce a complaints system to ensure that complaints about membership are captured and resolved. The data should be analysed to ensure that systemic issues are identified and appropriate improvements implemented.

Administration needs to be improved across the board. If you take the cocktail party as an example in 2006 there were the following problems:
• the date of the event was changed
• invitations were received less than 2 weeks before the event
• there were only 2 days to RSVP
• despite sending the RSVP back via express post, I did not receive a ticket. I had to call the club and was told that my name would be on the door
• got to the event and there was a very long queue of unhappy people having to check their name off
This really is unacceptable and with proper planning should never have happened.

The number of positive articles that have been published in the off season has been fantastic. This has been a big step in the right direction however I believe that we need a strategy to deal with negative press. With Caroline Wilson stating that the Arden Street redevelopment won’t go ahead we need to shave regular updates from the club. Donations to the Arden Street redevelopment should be tax deductible and the club needs to arrange this urgently.

Whatever happened to online auctions? This would appear to be an easy way to raise money and is something that the other clubs still do. Surely we could have an auction starting on the first day of every month.

We need fresh blood with new ideas and the Board elections will help to bring this about. We need to look at innovative ways to promote our club and also to promote games. I think it was Mark Perkins who stated that the members should have a way of communicating with the Board their ideas for promotion and fundraising. This is an excellent idea.

It is easy to identify things that are wrong with our club and if these problems were fixed it would be a good start to ensuring our clubs future.

This thread is raising some very good points that will be passed onto the NMFC. I may post a draft for comment. Your thoughts?

In my opinion the biggest problem that our club faces is the perception that we will relocate to the Gold Coast. Once the new board is in place, they need to develop a clear vision for where our club is headed, and that vision must be communicated to the members and the broader community. I would like to see more communication from the Board and would welcome a regular newsletter from our Chairman. Agree.

Our club needs a “makeover” as currently our image is very poor. We will never be the biggest club but we can be the best. Our image problems can’t be solved overnight but the club can start by adopting a positive attitude. In my opinion the club needs to stop begging and bullying people into buying memberships. We also need to stop all club officials from making negative statements. Agree.

The problems with our membership department need to be sorted out urgently. I honestly believe that the record membership levels achieved each year have disguised problems. The Club has significantly changed the structure of the membership group and they are bedding in a new system based upon the Bulldogs model. There are teething problems but hopefully these will be resolved. However your subsequent point "The club should introduce a complaints system to ensure that complaints about membership (or any club issue) are captured and resolved. The data should be analysed to ensure that systemic issues are identified and appropriate improvements implemented. is extremely valid.

Donations to the Arden Street redevelopment should be tax deductible and the club needs to arrange this urgently. Not certain that this could be achieved while we have shareholders, even the restructure may not be enough. Any Tax accountants out there?

I think it was Mark Perkins who stated that the members should have a way of communicating with the Board their ideas for promotion and fundraising. This is an excellent idea. Agreed, but not only to the Board but also the NMFC senior managers.

I totally agree with the image problems.
Those membership stats look awful, BUT most of those issues are caused by our image of a club that is bound to relocate and the disregard for our Melbourne members.

Only 2 years ago or so, the Bulldogs couldn't get past 16k with the season about the start.

Donations to the Arden Street redevelopment should be tax deductible and the club needs to arrange this urgently. Not certain that this could be achieved while we have shareholders, even the restructure may not be enough. Any Tax accountants out there?

Our club in general would not be eligible for deductible gift recipient (DGR) status, however, we could establish a DGR eligible fund if we wished to generate funding for something, such as the redevelopment fund, especially given the community stands to benefit from the redevelopment.

For instance, the Essendon Football Club set up the Essendon Football Club Hall of Fame Fund in 2001 which is a DGR Fund, which means donations to that fund are tax deductible, while donations in general to the Essendon Football Club are not.

We need someone from the club to apply to the ATO for DGR endorsement for our redevelopment fund, fill in a NAT 2948 form.

We would have to meet the conditions to be eligible, for example, we would unlikely be able to get endorsement for the building administration facilities but the fund can be established to help generate funds for facilities that will be available to the community. We would just have to spend money from that fund into those specific developments and use the funding from the AFL, state government and the council on the parts of the redevelopment that may not be eligible.

It would be a simple process of sitting down with the ATO and discussing the redevelopment plans and what areas of the development would satisfy their criteria for endorsement and the fund could be setup to specifically fund those areas of the redevelopment. We are only looking to raise about $1 million of the funds and am sure the areas of the redevelopment that would qualify would easily support that kind of contribution.

This is a draft of a letter that I propose sending to Rick from this site, as I indicated earlier. I want it to be a bipartisan approach without any egos attached, hence I've named the Mark and the other John. If there is objections to this approach I'm happy to send it off from myself.

I am seeking your input as to the content and thrust of the letter, don't worry about format etc. This is a first draft with much cut & pasting from our threads. I am hoping for much input.

Mr Rick Aylett
C. E. O. North Melbourne Football Club
Telstra Dome
L B2 NW Corner,
Docklands 3008

Hi Rick,
I am writing to you on behalf of the contributors of the BigFooty – North Melbourne Football club website (http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13 ) . First let us welcome you aboard as CEO and offer you our best wishes and support in steering the club into a successful future. The following is a compilation of concerns and suggestions as to how the NMFC can achieve its full potential that have been raised and discussed by the many contributors of the site.

We are aware that NMFC staff are readers of our website but are not sure as to how far up the line our comments are taken. Additionally you should be aware that three of the candidates for member positions on the board (Mark Perkins, Jon Kenton & myself John Raleigh) have identified themselves openly on this site and are contributors on this site.

Our Concerns
1. Our major concern is the possibility of relocation to the Gold Coast and the viability of such an initiative.
o Brisbane with around 2 million people can barely support an AFL club with 26,500 members, and this is after being the dominant AFL team of this decade.
o Sydney with around 4.5 million people can only just support an AFL club after 20 years of significant financial support from the AFL with just over 30,000 members, and this is after being in the last two grand finals. Sydney also panicked at the thought of a second team moving into the Sydney market.
o The GOLD COAST has around 500,000 people. While it may have a high growth rate, this is only in percentage terms. Its actual growth is well below Melbourne and Brisbane in real numbers. The ex pat Victorian argument doesn't stand up. The Gold Coast does not have the population to fully support an AFL club within the next ten or more years. We have yet to see any real research on membership projections following relocation, either from the media or the AFL.
o The next step in the expansion of AFL across Australia will not be successfully achieved by the relocation of Melbourne based clubs to the GOLD COAST, Canberra and Tasmania. This would result in these clubs being
(i) On a financial drip feed for decades,
(ii) Wouldn’t provide a good image of the AFL,
(iii) Would lead to more clubs complaining regarding the financial support as we have seen with Collingwood against Sydney and Brisbane, and
(iv) Probably the demise of such clubs.

This expansion should be addressed by more imaginative thinking e.g. providing an AFL membership to the gold Coast and having “home games” played by a number of Melbourne clubs seeking financial or others that see this as an opportunity. Additionally Brisbane and possibly Sydney could play one home game each on the GOLD COAST. This would provide 11 “home games”. Once the market is fully established a relocation OR the establishment of a new club could be considered.

2. The board situation needs to be out by finalising the restructure and elections then developing and articulating a clear long-term objective for the club i.e. the club should state "this is where we will be in 10, 20, 50 years and this is how we will achieve those objectives”.

3. The club administration e.g. membership, which is the main contact point, appears from the members perspective to be under stress. We can’t comment as to the cause i.e. systems, staffing levels, staff competence etc. If you take the cocktail party as an example in 2006 there were the following problems:
• there were only 2 days to RSVP
• despite sending the RSVP back via express post, I did not receive a ticket. I had to call the club and was told that my name would be on the door
• got to the event and there was a very long queue of unhappy people having to check their name off.

4. The Melbourne supporters have the feeling that they are being ignored or at least seen as secondary due to the Canberra and now Gold Coast strategy. We feel that this has led to a considerable number of members not taking up memberships. It is suggested that the NMFC also focus on the local market e.g. handing out free tickets to schools and the communities around the North Melbourne area. A great way to promote the club in those communities and a good start toward developing some long term supporters, particular among the immigrant communities.

Our Suggestions
(i) Re-introduction of a non-attending member category that enables supporters who can’t attend games to still be a part of the NMFC family. It would also enable members who drop out for a year to maintain their continuous membership. I believe that when it was available it attracted 5,000 members and around 7,000 for Richmond in 2006.

This type of membership is offered by Adelaide - Boundary Line Membership - $50, Carlton – Blue Member, new this year, Collingwood - Magpie Nest Membership $85.00, Fremantle - Associate Membership $70.00, Geelong - House Cat $ 70, MFC/MCC Supporter $40.00 - $150, Out of SA. $125.00 provides one ticket to an AMMI game, Tiger Insider (formerly On the Bench) $70.00, Swans Supporters $75.00 in NSW & Vic, $80.00 for other states, Western Bulldogs - The Kennel Club, West Coast - In the Wings, Eagles Nest. We are not certain at this stage as to whether Essendon and Hawthorn offer this category.

Are all these 11, possibly 13, clubs wrong in their thinking? The reintroduction of this category by the Kangaroos has been requested of the administration. I've yet to chase up - This doesn’t appear to have been taken up although there is an AFL Club Support Adult category $105.00 on the NMFC application form but no mention of this in the membership brochure? I’ll contact the membership sales group when they return in the New Year.

(ii) Continuous membership figure should be printed on the membership card and club correspondence. This would encourage members to maintain their membership. This was further supported by the re-introduction of the non-attending category.

(iii) The NMFC should provide a BLOG facility on its web page so that club – members two-way communication could occur. It is interesting that Collingwood, Sydney & Fremantle have such a facility on their sites. Also the West Coast has an “Ask Woosha” facility. A number of contributors have raised the need for a mechanism that enables members and supporters to communicate with the Board and management with idea for promotion, fundraising and the general improvement of the club.

(iv) The Bulldogs have a “bulldog backyard package” which enables members to donate money that will provide memberships to the needy. It is managed through their Community Services division, SpiritWest Services, memberships purchased through the Bulldogs Backyard Program are distributed to a range of organisations including the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF), Western Health and other local community agencies. All supporters who purchase Bulldog Backyard packages receive a Certificate of Appreciation.

The packages range from a $50 (1 x Junior 17 Game) to a $300 (1 x Family 11 Game) package. This is good lateral thinking in that donations are turned into counted memberships that may lead to new future members.

(v) It is suggested that experienced members be identified to become involved in new initiatives. Volunteers are typically utilised to undertake basic clerical and labour tasks, however we have no doubt the there are experienced professional people that could provide a valuable resource on projects on a part time basis. An example of this could be the production of periodic member newsletters, article for NMFC publications, interviews of players, coaches, staff etc. This would relieve the task from paid employees.

(vi) It has been suggested that the NMFC, in conjunction with the AFL and Telstra Dome, initiate a scheme whereby a number of free tickets would be provided to select groups e.g. children, disadvantaged groups etc to attend low crowd games e.g. games against interstate teams. This could involve players visiting schools or charitable institutions to hand out such tickets. This would also provide a positive media opportunity. The aim here would not only be to gain positive media coverage and increased attendance on the day but also the possibility of new members in the future.

(vii) Our club needs a “makeover” as currently our image is very poor. We will never be the biggest club but we can be the best. Our image problems can’t be solved overnight but the club can start by adopting a positive attitude. In my opinion the club needs to stop begging and bullying people into buying memberships. We also need to stop all club officials from making negative statements. Here are two examples:
• our coach saying that we can’t afford to drop down the ladder or we won’t have a club to support
• Geoff Walsh stating that only one third of the people that bought thickets to the North Story were members. The North Story was a fantastic event, and rather than celebrate the positives this statement put a negative spin on it.

(viii) Members would be happy to donate a junior membership or a set amount of money if it was used to promote the club in an organised way. This suggestion has been made but nothing has come of it. This is similar to the Bulldogs backyard package above.

(ix) The club should introduce a complaints system to ensure that complaints about membership are captured and resolved. The data should be analysed to ensure that systemic issues are identified and appropriate improvements implemented.

(x) The number of positive articles that have been published in the off-season has been fantastic. This has been a big step in the right direction however we believe that we need a strategy to deal with negative press. With Caroline Wilson stating that the Arden Street redevelopment won’t go ahead we need to share regular updates from the club.

(xi) The Essendon Football Club set up the Essendon Football Club Hall of Fame Fund in 2001 which is a DGR Fund, which means donations to that fund are tax deductible, while donations in general to the Essendon Football Club are not. It is suggested that the NMFC apply to the ATO for DGR endorsement for our redevelopment fund i.e. complete a NAT 2948 form.

The NMFC would need to sit down with the ATO and discuss the redevelopment plans and what areas of the development would satisfy their criteria for endorsement and the fund could be set-up to specifically fund those areas of the redevelopment. We are only looking to raise about $1 million of the funds and we are sure the areas of the redevelopment that would qualify would easily support that kind of contribution.

We are happy to meet with you and discuss these and other opportunities for members to contribute to the ongoing success of the NMFC.

Yours Sincerely

John Raleigh

Our Concerns
1. Our major concern is the possibility of relocation to the Gold Coast and the viability of such an initiative.
o Brisbane with around 2 million people can barely support an AFL club with 26,500 members, and this is after being the dominant AFL team of this decade.
o Sydney with around 4.5 million people can only just support an AFL club after 20 years of significant financial support from the AFL with just over 30,000 members, and this is after being in the last two grand finals. Sydney also panicked at the thought of a second team moving into the Sydney market.
o The GOLD COAST has around 500,000 people. While it may have a high growth rate, this is only in percentage terms. Its actual growth is well below Melbourne and Brisbane in real numbers. The ex pat Victorian argument doesn't stand up. The Gold Coast does not have the population to fully support an AFL club within the next ten or more years. We have yet to see any real research on membership projections following relocation, either from the media or the AFL.
o The next step in the expansion of AFL across Australia will not be successfully achieved by the relocation of Melbourne based clubs to the GOLD COAST, Canberra and Tasmania. This would result in these clubs being
(i) On a financial drip feed for decades,
(ii) Wouldn’t provide a good image of the AFL,
(iii) Would lead to more clubs complaining regarding the financial support as we have seen with Collingwood against Sydney and Brisbane, and
(iv) Probably the demise of such clubs.

John there is another point regarding the Gold Coast that I suggest you follow up and that is with regard to the specific and detailed market research undertaken by the NRL and the consortium backing the new Gold Coast franchise. They spent real dollars to reach the conclusion that the population increase looking forward was significantly weighted in favour of ex pat QLD and NSW people rather than Victorians and that a rugby league franchise had every chance of success whereas an AFL team would struggle. I am sure that this data would be made available to you by the rugby league authorities as it helps their cause to see AFL expansion restrained. The AFL of course has never conducted any research on the Gold Coast other than to observe the rugby league expansion, then panic.

Good effort Limerick. My feedback would be that although the first few points you've put in there are all valid, my main concern by far is the lack of attention or consideration shown to Melbourne members.
I would highlight that point as the main thrust of the letter rather than the demographics that point to issues with the Gold Coast move. As valid as they are, they are NOT my main reasons for opposing the GC move. The move is simply a sale of the license to another club. It is NOT us anymore, and I don't care if demographics would make the move viable or otherwise.

My main concerns are to do with the heartland being ignored, and as a result, members are dropping off. The club image is potentially the worst it's been in recent history. The perception is that as a club we ARE NOT GOING ANYWHERE. (other than GC unfortunately), pardon the pun.

The whole club needs to rediscover itself off the field.

If you don't belong anywhere, you die.

A notion of a national team based at Arden Street, first floated by Greg Miller around 8 years ago has surely been proven wrong. Hope Rick Aylett can see that.

Thanks pharro and vlad76. I'll await more responses then update the draft.

Yeah, nice effort, Limerick. I would simply echo vlad's comments in that the point about not neglecting the Melbourne-based supporters is a most important one to make. If we want to stay here then we need to woo the heartland.

Innovative marketing. Intelligent, positive media spin.

And perhaps another good example to use of the administration being "under stress", and an area in which they could stand to improve, is in the difficulties some have experienced in the membership sign-up/renewal process.

Oh, and small point, under "Our Suggestions" (ii), you have left the second "u" out of "continuous". Sorry. Cos' it's the first word it's kind of noticeable.

Thanks, John.

That is a great effort putting that together. I am slightly intoxicated so I may ramble... nothing new to most people here. :p

First thing... please edit the post and remove your personal details. While I trust North supporters, this forum is open to supporters of other clubs and lets just say I don't hold them in the same high esteem as North people.

I am putting myself in Rick's position when looking at what you have compiled, a lot of very good points raised and a lot of things we really need the club to address and a lot of things the club needs to do and communicate with the supporters.

Rick will be overwhelmed by that list however and the way it is structured, I think Rick is going to take one look at the list and fall out of his chair.

I think it will be hard for him to respond to the letter because a lot of the points we are making statements or telling him what is wrong and he has been in the position for a nanosecond so will most likely reply with a general thanks for your feedback/concerns, we will look into the issues you have raised.

I think the way to approach it is to structure the letter so we talk about specific areas of concern and ask him what his thoughts, opinions and if he has strategies in mind.

We want to structure the letter so it will encourage Rick to reply back and give us his opinions and informations the club has otherwise not really shared with us or the general public. Lets face it, Walsh and Duff aren't great communicators, it is something Rick has to compensate for because someone at the club has to be.

I would group all the points raised as suggestions/recommendations into one section at the end of the letter and I would re-structure the points raised so we are inviting him to comment on areas and provide us with more information, feedback, etc without it just looking like a huge collection of statements we are making to Rick which he can't really respond to.

We should also try and keep the points on the similar topics together so it flows and doesn't jump from topic to topic. Ie, keep all the question about Melbourne together, stuff on Gold Coast together, etc. It will allow the letter to flow better.

If we are getting Rick to talk about things, I have some questions I would like to raise on our strategic plan (assuming we have one), market analysis and were we are at and where we are going in the short, medium and long-term. I have been meaning to write to the club this year but never got around to it, can add them to your letter if you wish, it is the kind of pro-active information which would give evidence that the club has a direction and target it is working towards and makes it believable that relocation is not on the agenda.

We can ensure our future by Wayne Carey coming back home to Arden St where he belongs

Last I heard Carey's back is still knackered and he wouldn't be able to hold down CHF. And since he would make a pretty craptacular coach and doesn't have aspirations anyway, I can't see how a high profile orange boy would ensure the club's future. How's Kernahan doing ensuring Carlton's future?

DRAFT #2
Your thoughts. I am aiming to have this mailed by Friday 5 Jan 07.

Mr Rick Aylett
C. E. O. North Melbourne Football Club
Telstra Dome L B2 NW Corner,
Docklands 3008

Hi Rick,
I am writing to you on behalf of some concerned members of the Big Footy – North Melbourne Football club website (http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13). First let us welcome you aboard as CEO and offer you our best wishes and support in steering the club into a successful future.

We are aware that NMFC staff are readers of our website but are not sure as to how far up the line our comments are taken. Additionally you should be aware that three of the candidates for member positions on the board (Mark Perkins, John Kenton & myself John Raleigh) have identified themselves on this site and are contributors.

Attachment 1 contains eleven suggestions, raised and discussed by the many contributors of the site. We feel these would contribute to the NMFC achieving its full potential.

Attachment 2 contains our concerns regarding the viability of the Gold Coast being able to support an AFL club. We acknowledge that the NMFC has stated that a full relocation isn’t on our agenda and suggest that the information contained in Attachment 2 further supports this position.

Our main concerns are that:

1. The Melbourne supporters have the feeling that they are being ignored or at least seen as secondary due to the Canberra and now Gold Coast strategy. We feel that this has led to a considerable number of members not taking up memberships. It is suggested that the NMFC also focus on the heartland of the club.

2. The board situation is finalised regarding the restructure and elections then for the club to develop and articulate a clear long-term objective for the club.

Members are seeking to see that the NMFC have and operate under a long term (i.e. five years plus) Strategic Plan that also incorporates the annual business plan that defines our specific objectives, and the actions to achieve these.

3. The club administration e.g. membership, which is the main contact point, appears from the members perspective to be under stress. We can’t comment as to the cause i.e. systems, infrastructure, staffing levels, staff competence etc.

Examples of this are;
(i) The 2006 cocktail party.
• there were only 2 days to RSVP. One member despite sending the RSVP back via express post, did not receive a ticket. They had to call the club and were told that their name would be on the door.
• the event incurred a very long queue of unhappy people having to check their name off.
(ii) the difficulties some have experienced in the membership sign-up/renewal process.
The suggestion of a complaints handling system (attachment 1 (iii) (b) below) aims to identify and address this.

We are looking forward to your response and offer our help in any actions undertaken to address these concerns and in the implementation of the suggestions.

We are happy to meet with you and discuss these and other opportunities for members to contribute to the ongoing success of the NMFC.

Yours Sincerely

John Raleigh
On behalf of the
North Melbourne Football Club
The BigFooty Website

SUGGESTIONS ATTACHMENT 1.

(I) MARKETING.
(a) The re-introduction of a non-attending member category that enables supporters who can’t attend games to still be a part of the NMFC family. It would also enable members who drop out for a year to maintain their continuous membership. I believe that when it was available it attracted 5,000 members and around 7,000 for Richmond in 2006.

This type of membership is offered by Adelaide - Boundary Line Membership - $50, Carlton – Blue Member, new this year, Collingwood - Magpie Nest Membership $85.00, Fremantle - Associate Membership $70.00, Geelong - House Cat $ 70, MFC/MCC Supporter $40.00 - $150, Out of SA. $125.00 provides one ticket to an AMMI game, Tiger Insider (formerly On the Bench) $70.00, Swans Supporters $75.00 in NSW & Vic, $80.00 for other states, Western Bulldogs - The Kennel Club, West Coast - In the Wings, Eagles Nest. We are not certain at this stage as to whether Essendon and Hawthorn offer this category.

Are all these 11, possibly 13, clubs wrong in their thinking? The reintroduction of this category by the Kangaroos has been requested of the administration.

I’ll chase up - This doesn’t appear to have been taken up although there is an AFL Club Support Adult category $105.00 on the NMFC application form but no mention of this in the membership brochure? I’ll contact the membership sales group when they return in the New Year.

(b) It has been suggested that the NMFC, in conjunction with the AFL and Telstra Dome, initiate a scheme whereby a number of free tickets would be provided to select groups e.g. children, disadvantaged groups etc to attend low crowd games e.g. games against interstate teams. This could involve players visiting schools or charitable institutions to hand out such tickets. This would also provide a positive media opportunity. The aim here would not only be to gain positive media coverage and increased attendance on the day but also the possibility of new members in the future.

(c) Members would be happy to donate a junior membership or a set amount of money if it was used to promote the club in an organised way. This suggestion has been made in the past but nothing has come of it.

(d) The Bulldogs have a “bulldog backyard package” which enables members to donate money that will provide memberships to the needy. It is managed through their Community Services division, SpiritWest Services, memberships purchased through the Bulldogs Backyard Program are distributed to a range of organisations including the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF), Western Health and other local community agencies. All supporters who purchase Bulldog Backyard packages receive a Certificate of Appreciation.

The packages range from a $50 (1 x Junior 17 Game) to a $300 (1 x Family 11 Game) package. This is good lateral thinking in that donations are turned into counted memberships that may lead to new future members.

(a) Continuous membership figure should be printed on the membership card and club correspondence. This would encourage members to maintain their membership. This was further supported by the re-introduction of the non-attending category.

(II) COMMUNICATION.
(a) BLOG facility. The NMFC should provide a BLOG facility on its web page so that club – members two-way communication could occur. It is interesting that Collingwood, Sydney & Fremantle have such a facility on their sites. Also the West Coast has an “Ask Woosha” facility. A number of contributors have raised the need for a mechanism that enables members and supporters to communicate with the Board and management with idea for promotion, fundraising and the general improvement of the club.

(b) Media. The number of positive articles that have been published in the off-season has been fantastic. This has been a big step in the right direction however I believe that we need a strategy to deal with negative press. With Caroline Wilson stating that the Arden Street redevelopment won’t go ahead we need to issue regular updates from the club.

(iii) ADMINISTRATION.
(a) Utilising Expertise. It is suggested that experienced members be identified to become involved in new initiatives. Volunteers are typically utilised to undertake basic clerical and labour tasks, however we have no doubt the there are experienced professional people that could provide a valuable resource on projects on a part time basis. An example of this could be the production of periodic member newsletters, article for NMFC publications, interviews of players, coaches, staff etc. This would relieve the task from paid employees.

(b) Complaints System. The club should introduce a complaints system to ensure that complaints about membership are captured and resolved. The data should be analysed to ensure that systemic issues are identified and appropriate improvements implemented.

(iv) IMAGE.
Our club needs a “makeover” as currently our image is very poor. We will never be the biggest club but we can be the best. Our image problems can’t be solved overnight but the club can start by adopting a positive attitude. In our opinion the club needs to stop begging and bullying people into buying memberships. We also need to stop all club officials from making negative statements. Here are two examples:

(v) COST SAVING.
The Essendon Football Club set up the Essendon Football Club Hall of Fame Fund in 2001 which is a DGR Fund, which means donations to that fund are tax deductible, while donations in general to the Essendon Football Club are not. It is suggested that the NMFC apply to the ATO for DGR endorsement for our redevelopment fund i.e. complete a NAT 2948 form.

The NMFC would need to sit down with the ATO and discuss the redevelopment plans and what areas of the development would satisfy their criteria for endorsement and the fund could be set-up to specifically fund those areas of the redevelopment. We are only looking to raise about $1 million of the funds and we are sure the areas of the redevelopment that would qualify would easily support that kind of contribution.

ATTACHMENT 2

CONCERN RE THE VIABILITY OF THE GOLD COAST

Brisbane with around 2 million people can barely support an AFL club with 26,500 members, and this is after being the dominant AFL team of this decade, plus receiving considerable support from the AFL. Approximately 4,500 of these reside outside Queensland, the majority probably residing in Victoria.
Sydney with around 4.5 million people can only just support an AFL club after 20 years of significant financial support from the AFL with just over 30,000 members, and this is after being in the last two grand finals. Approximately 4,000 of these reside outside NSW, the majority probably residing in Victoria. Sydney also panicked at the thought of a second team moving into the Sydney market.
The GOLD COAST has around 500,000 people. While it may have a high population growth rate, this is only in percentage terms. Its actual growth is well below Melbourne and Brisbane in real numbers. The ex pat Victorian argument doesn't stand up. The Gold Coast does not have the population to fully support an AFL club within the next ten or more years. We have yet to see any real research on membership projections following relocation, either from the media or the AFL.
The next step in the expansion of AFL across Australia will not be successfully achieved by the relocation of Melbourne based clubs to the GOLD COAST, Canberra and Tasmania. This would result in these clubs being
(ii) On a financial drip feed for decades,
(iii) Wouldn’t provide a good image of the AFL,
(iv) Would lead to more clubs complaining regarding the financial support as we have seen with Collingwood against Sydney and Brisbane, and
(v) Probably the demise of such clubs.

This expansion should be addressed by more imaginative thinking e.g. providing an AFL membership to the Gold Coast and having "home games" played by a number of Melbourne clubs seeking financial support or others that see this as an opportunity. Additionally Brisbane and possibly Sydney could play one home game each on the GOLD COAST. This would provide 11 “home games”. Once the market is fully established a relocation OR the establishment of a new club could be considered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have been contacted by a BF member who objects to my writing to the NMFC on behalf of this website. Their concern is presumably that I don't have the OK from ALL members. I stated in my first post on this subject that I am happy to send it from myself only.

They also further suggested that the letter be personalised with the names and NMFC membership numbers of those who specifically support the letter.

Your thoughts

I have been contacted by a BF member who objects to my writing to the NMFC on behalf of this website. Their concern is presumably that I don't have the OK from ALL members. I stated in my first post on this subject that I am happy to send it from myself only.

They also further suggested that the letter be personalised with the names and NMFC membership numbers of those who specifically support the letter.

Your thoughts

The credentials of the objector would have to be the owner of the site or a moderator on this Board to justify any need for authorisation.
You seem to have had support from many posters in what you doing.
I suggest you send it on behalf of BF website.

I must admit that when I read the draft I was a little uncomfortable with the claim that the letter was to be sent on behalf of all members, when most of them for whatever reason have not contributed to the letter or don't necessarily agree with every point.

Maybe that bit could be changed to "on behalf of concerned members of Big Footy" or such like.

I'm happy to participate. I'm just mulling over the "relocation" comments with a view to suggesting some minor changes. Meanwhile, my feelings are:
1. we should make it clear to Rick that we are firmly anti-relocation; and
2. we want the Club/Rick to refute all suggestion of relocation (circumstances can change down the track but until they do there is to be NO relocation).

John,

I think the letter idea is great but I can understand that some posters may not want to be included as they may not agree with all that is being said. It may therefore be worthwhile having it personalised but noting that all those whose names appear have a common interest, i.e BigFooty.

I must admit that when I read the draft I was a little uncomfortable with the claim that the letter was to be sent on behalf of all members, when most of them for whatever reason have not contributed to the letter or don't necessarily agree with every point.

Maybe that bit could be changed to "on behalf of concerned members of Big Footy" or such like.

I'm happy to participate. I'm just mulling over the "relocation" comments with a view to suggesting some minor changes. Meanwhile, my feelings are:
1. we should make it clear to Rick that we are firmly anti-relocation; and
2. we want the Club/Rick to refute all suggestion of relocation (circumstances can change down the track but until they do there is to be NO relocation).

Good suggestion, I'll make that change and will take on board your further changes when they are provided.

In terms of personalisation, I suggest that those who wish, send an email directly to the NMFC identifying themselves supporting, or not supporting, the content of the letter. With this approach I would identify a specific NMFC contact plus the date the letter is mailed so that all would arrive in the same timeframe.This would also enable each person to perhaps raise additional issues or change the emphasis on issues.

This approach would add weight to our concerns if many personalised approached were made plus it allows for each person identity to remain private on this site. It also allows for "guests" to be involved.

John,

I suggest the only reason you may be having people object to you putting your thoughts in writing on behalf of Big Footy posters is due to the fact that there are people on here who take glee in continually criticising our club and its people.

If they were true supporters of the club there would be support for you and other people who are looking to assist the club with ideas and be supportive but they choose to sit behind there false names on here and take pot shots at the Coach, players and Administrators on a regular basis.

BigFooty should be after credibility and in my opinion the credibility factor has been low to say the least until people like you and Mark Perkins have added there thoughts and backed them up. The negative influences on here should have the courage of there convictions to publicly state there real names and put there names to letters to Coach & Administrators rather than post on here and cause damage to our club.

I continually read about how bad Caroline Wilson & Dwayne Russell treat our club and i can assure you i have no love for them either but at least they dont hide behind a false name and be anonymous in there negativity towards our Club.

I wish you and Mark all the best in your efforts to gain election on to the board but the one thing i would say is not to write on behalf of Big Footy because there is an element here who do not deserve to be recognised with the efforts you and positive people have towards our Club.

I know the real names of the BF posters who I exchange emails with, we have no real secret agenda or wish to hide our names, it is just the nature of public forums, there are a lot of young and immature idiots out there from other clubs that I do not wish to have my personal details.

joybell27 said:
In my opinion the biggest problem that our club faces is the perception that we will relocate to the Gold Coast.
Yeah, nah... this has only been around a little while. Not saying it isn't an issue, but my sense is that it is something bigger. Something to do with leadership. Since Miller, Pagan and Carey have gone we haven't had it...

joybell27 said:
Our club needs a “makeover” as currently our image is very poor. We will never be the biggest club but we can be the best. Our image problems can’t be solved overnight but the club can start by adopting a positive attitude. In my opinion the club needs to stop begging and bullying people into buying memberships. We also need to stop all club officials from making negative statements.
Couldn't agree more. The club adds to the perception that we have to sign up or there is no future. It becomes a somewhat self-fulfilling prophecy IMHO. It creates the impression we're constantly on the edge of extinction.

I think the Bulldogs have set a good example of simply rolling up their sleeves and creating a positive marketing spin. It really saddens me to see them overtake us in the membership stakes. What's different? For god's sake, we were the team of the 90's.

joybell27 said:
The problems with our membership department need to be sorted out urgently.
Yeah, in an age where consumer expectations have risen and the games revenue levels mean greater professionalism, I don't think football clubs can simply expect loyalty, and expect that to magically translate into memberships.

I know a lot of posters believe that everyone should - come what may - pay for memberships to guarantee the club's future, but when you have the churn and loss factor you do, clearly not everyone feels this way. So, you have to be genuinely curious as to why, particularly if it isn't happening (so much) elsewhere. Increasing the professionalism of the club's marketing and membership is part of the answer I believe.

I'm not a supporter of relocation either which is why I am proposing that Limerick's letter make clear that we are OPPOSED to relocation (no matter what its official title is).

However, what worries me is that we will become divided over the issue of whether we are going to follow a relocated side when we might never get relocated.

Surely it's:

(1) relocation? yes/no

followed, if we are relocated (God forbid!), by

(2) supporter of the relocated team? yes/no

Thoughts anyone?

I'm not a supporter of relocation either which is why I am proposing that Limerick's letter make clear that we are OPPOSED to relocation (no matter what its official title is).

However, what worries me is that we will become divided over the issue of whether we are going to follow a relocated side when we might never get relocated.

Surely it's:

(1) relocation? yes/no

Thoughts anyone?
No on both counts

Surely it's:

(1) relocation? yes/no

Thoughts anyone?

I wouldn't support a relocated team to be honest because it would cease to be the North Melbourne Football Club irrespective of the name or legal entitlement to our heritage as the NMFC.

We MUST draw a line in the sand. If we will support the club if it is relocated then it gives them incentive to consider it. You will be funding the transition of the club from what it was to something you will barely recognise as time goes by and we will become a footnote in history books.

Look at the carrot they gave the Fitzroy supporters and compare it with what they are getting now, given the choice between slow torture or death I would choose to just get shot in the head.

We, as supporters must not accept compromises. We have put up with too many for too long and it is erroding the club.

I do not want to know what contingency plans they have for moving the club off to the Gold Coast. I want to know what strategies and what plans they have in returning the club to be 100% Melbourne based.

I accept a temporary involvement on the Gold Coast as a means to an end IF we are following a strategic plan which will have us return back to Melbourne, if not then we have the wrong people in the administration.

There are 500k people in the Gold Coast, many migrated from NSW, rugby heartland territory. We have approximately 1.5 million people in Melbourne that do not follow any AFL clubs.

We abandoned our work with Casey, which has now grown to 250k people and is growing almost as quickly as the Gold Coast. Why?

Where is our market research into the Melbourne demographic? Who are these 1.5 million people who do not follow football? Where are they? What are we doing to convert these people?

There is more of an upside to remain here in Melbourne. If we take 100k of that 1.5 million then that is 10k members for us, 10k members puts us to 35k members. 35k members at 11 home games in Melbourne is an additional $1.9 million from the 3 extra games plus an extra $1.45 million from the extra members.

We are not getting $3.35 million a year from the Gold Coast deal.

We are not focusing our efforts here, in our heartland and if that does not change, and quickly, things wont be looking so good for the future.

Surely it's:

(1) relocation? yes/no

Thoughts anyone?

I have stated my position on this at various times, and across a number of different threads , but I will happily state it for the record once again.

(1) No
(2) No

I will never accept a relocation of the North Melbourne Football Club under any circumstances whatsoever.

Cheers, guys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back