Science/Environment Wuhan Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Pandemic Declared

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Temperature checks don't seem to be effective.

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has screened more than 30,000 passengers in the past month, not a single US coronavirus case has been caught by airport temperature checks. Ten passengers flew into US airports on commercial airliners and were later diagnosed with coronavirus. CNN's investigation shows that four of those 10 passengers went through temperature checks and were found not to have a fever or any other symptoms of the virus.​

False negatives is another thing that falsely bumps up the death rate.

Well i was in India some 2 weeks ago they have temperature guns, in EU we have thermal cameras. I agree its not very effective but its still better than letting people walk free

Capture.JPG

I think temp. guns are the way to go

Closing the borders is only half the game, if you don't handle the virus that are already within your borders, it's still gonna explode

Frankly, western government and society has failed miserably in being organised enough to stop it together, they are being exposed for the complacent rabble they have become after decades of easy living

i agree to an extent but the big problem is also being perceived to impeach of peoples freedoms. China for example dont have this problem

I dont envy being in the governments position atm. On one hand you should close everything down immediately but risk the economy crashing. On the other hand you slowly close everything trying to slow the economic impact but risk a health epidemic.

Plus dont forget 90% of the population are idiots and sheep so the last thing you want is panic.

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

do busses run?
yes public transport is considered an essential service albeit on a restricted timetable

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

In the US at the moment and Miami, New York, California and Illinois are all totally shut down. Manhattan is a ******* ghost town. I'm flying from Orlando to LAX ar midday tomorow for a flight to Melbourne to get the fu** out of dodge.

By the time I get home on Tuesday Melbourne and Sydney will also be in total shut down as well, and all our State borders will be closed.

This is ******* bonkers

Good luck getting home. Presumably if your flight Orlando to LAX goes ahead you will clear passport, customs etc in LAX for your onward journey to Melbourne then you can chill?

FYI - you will be required to endure a 14 day isolation period when you get back. It's not a very practical measure - how are people arriving in the country supposed to eat for 14 days? And despite the threat of big fines the regimen isn't being enforced rigidly. It can't be.

The good news is that people here seem to have got over the panic buying thing. The supermarkets are almost back to normal after some runs on toilet paper, meat and dried food last week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The good news is that people here seem to have got over the panic buying thing. The supermarkets are almost back to normal after some runs on toilet paper, meat and dried food last week.

Total lockdown is coming, Our numbers are 214 today, it will get a lot worse. I have been in complete home curfew for 7 days now, nothing happening, no business no nothing, only netflix and supermarkets

Job Seeker Payment (formerly called Newstart) to be 'temporarily' doubled. I wonder how long for (I didn't catch the Prime Minister's press conference directly)

The fine print says Newstart stays the same. But you will get a 'supplement' that is equal to the current rate of Newstart. The supplement is the temporary bit.

Apprently it doesn't extend to students on Youth Allowance (student), or Austudy to Disability support payments, those welfare recipients are getting the second $750 in July instead.

From what they are saying only some kinds of work are classified as essential - Healthcare, power generation, education and supermarkets.
Emergency services and service stations.

Total lockdown is coming, Our numbers are 214 today, it will get a lot worse. I have been in complete home curfew for 7 days now, nothing happening, no business no nothing, only netflix and supermarkets

Didn't you say you were in Bulgaria? What's this 'our numbers' thing?

What is the rationale for a total lockdown?

Yep; people are either missing the point of healthcare systems being overwhelmed being the big issue, or being deliberately obtuse about it.

Having ~ 700 active cases, spread out across multiple countries, all with the ability to be put in to the ICU on ventilators.

Compare that to Italy alone having 37,000 active cases at once, and climbing.

There’s a breaking point for emergency care numbers, Italy has since passed that, Spain looks like it will do they same as their death rate is actually higher than Italy’s at the same stage.

Germany seems far better equipped so can sustain more cases before reaching that point.

How many cases can Australia sustain before we reach that point?
Not everyone who gets it needs intrusive hospitalisation. Just more over the top hysteria

Good luck getting home. Presumably if your flight Orlando to LAX goes ahead you will clear passport, customs etc in LAX for your onward journey to Melbourne then you can chill?

FYI - you will be required to endure a 14 day isolation period when you get back. It's not a very practical measure - how are people arriving in the country supposed to eat for 14 days? And despite the threat of big fines the regimen isn't being enforced rigidly. It can't be.

There was plenty of toilet paper on the shelves this am at my local woolies. Went down there again this afternoon - completely gone.

There was plenty of toilet paper on the shelves this am at my local woolies. Went down there again this afternoon - completely gone.

There's no shortage of supply - just like the other products that have shnapped up but it takes a few days for people to work out they are not going to starve or not be able to wipe their bottoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back