Analysis Coronavirus - The Impact

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm if China doesnt shut down the damn wet markets this will happen again.
So true.

It's not the first virus to jump from animal to human via the Chinese wet market system (Avian Flu, SARS) and won't be the last. Anyone who has walked through one of these (China, Vietnam, Philippines, Cambodia etc.) markets knows how unsanitary they are. Species are just piled together in their own waste in mixed species contact. Just asking for cross species to human (zoonotic - there's a lot of points in Scrabble if you can slip that one in) infection.

Hmm if China doesnt shut down the damn wet markets this will happen again.

And one plus one equals 3
what a load of s**t

1st- how about we allow the Chinese to be Chinese.. in China!!!
And let them stay there.....

And we fix up our own (European) backyard - the animal factories etc

2nd- tests for sociopaths
(worse than any f*ck*n virus)
And delete

So true.

It's not the first virus to jump from animal to human via the Chinese wet market system (Avian Flu, SARS) and won't be the last. Anyone who has walked through one of these (China, Vietnam, Philippines, Cambodia etc.) markets knows how unsanitary they are. Species are just piled together in their own waste in mixed species contact. Just asking for cross species to human (zoonotic - there's a lot of points in Scrabble if you can slip that one in) infection.

You are not taking into consideration biological warefare labs
there is one in wahan

China’s only Level 4 microbiology lab that is equipped to handle deadly coronaviruses, called the National Biosafety Laboratory, is part of the Wuhan Institute of Virology.

whether by accident or design, this virus more than likely comes from a lab

You are not taking into consideration biological warefare labs
there is one in wahan

China’s only Level 4 microbiology lab that is equipped to handle deadly coronaviruses, called the National Biosafety Laboratory, is part of the Wuhan Institute of Virology.

whether by accident or design, this virus more than likely comes from a lab

They have already sequenced it, its natural, or maybe it was the (((JEEEEEEEWWWWWSSS))).

I feel for blokes like Kreuzer and Ziebell who copped bad injuries which were totally needless. Oh, also, they're going to need to go to hospitals for surgery on those injuries at a time where people should be avoiding hospitals at all costs.

That’s bs

Richmond star Jack Riewoldt has defended the AFL Players’ Association’s determination to play a full home and away season, rather than the 17 round alternative proposed by Gill McLachlan on Monday.

The greed was across the board

I enjoyed the single game wd got. It was better than no games. Sad for the players we might never see again, and for Naitinui, who is an absolute game great denied his best years.
I understand and agree with the decision to shut down the season BUT the thought of not even having matches on tv, watching Nic Nat palming the ball down Shueys throat is depressing.
2nd BUT... even with the borders closing the AFL could have run the Derby round next weekend using local umpires and staff... at least would have got 2 out of 17 done...🙄

Just saw footage of Gil’s conference, the bloke looks like he hasn’t slept in weeks.

He cops his fair share of criticism but I certainly don’t envy the position he’s in. The call he’s had to make today wouldn’t have been easy.
I honestly think he made the wrong call proceeding with round 1 but I don’t pretend for a moment that he hasn’t been under enormous pressure or that he made what he genuinely believed was the best decision

Not going to lie, I shed a tear listening to his press conference on the radio this afternoon. Football has been the bass guitar for my life for as long as I can remember. It was my bedrock. I was obsessed with it to the point I would drive 30kms to watch players train through a fence up until the day I was told by Simpson to stop (for those that ever wondered, the club does read this board)

Today, it was taken away and the fact I knew it was coming didn’t soften the blow one iota

For me, it was the moment the reality of what we’re facing hit home and believe me when I say my own personal situation means I was already acutely aware of the challenges ahead of me (and that has nothing to do with my perceived age)

The impacts, even setting aside the inevitable loss of life, are going to be significant and long lasting. Job losses will be unprecedented as will business collapses, big and small.

I do ubereats for a living. In the coming days I’ll walk into restaurants that won’t exist by the time this is over. My daughter works at one of them and as of tonight she has no more shifts. Hopefully they get through so she has something to go back to eventually

Government is faced with impossible choices - doing what needs to be done for public health reasons knowing that every measure taken to combat the virus spread digs an ever deepening hole for our economy to climb out of

The world will be different. Football in all likelihood will be different and I miss it already

That makes me sad

Restaurants and cafes to do takeaways only as of tomorrow.

Pubs, club's, places or worship and entertainment venues (eg cinemas) to be closed. Any other social clubs also will be shut.
Gday guys

As a cafe owner, this next year is going to be extremely difficult.
Please try and support these family businesses as much as you can, because the landscape not only in the hospitality industry by many other industries is going to change, with many of the smaller establishments not being able to cope or go on.
Just a quick reminder to keep an eye on everyone's mental health through this crisis too.
Many of us business owners are facing the real possibility of losing everything that we have spent the best part of 5, 10, 15 or even 20 years in creating.
The government is providing some relief, but for some of us, this won't be enough.
I really feel for all the hard working employees, that face uncertainty and the real prospect of being unemployed for an indefinite period.
Of course the safety of the Australian community is the number one priority. Stay safe everyone!!!!!

So true.

It's more complex than that, the wet markets aren't the only source. In the big picture the main problem is humans, we're the virus.
We are increasingly encroaching on and reducing the natural habitat for wildlife, concentrating them together in smaller areas. This is unnatural and is another source for cross infection to spread. Another source is factory farming, huge areas of livestock crammed together, across most developed countries, the waste and run-off polluting surrounding environment and waterways let alone the risk of virus.

Am pulling our son from school today..maybe over-reactonary, better to be safe than sorry!
I disagree with Scomo's comments about the need for children to continue going to school and being educated. What good is that if they get infected? And bring that infection home to infect others...and pity the teachers! He has stated parents can pull their kids if they choose, we're not waiting any longer.
*Not wishing to scaremonger, but the overriding message from badly infected countries is to "stay at home" and lock down...as we're looking at a real spike this week and next week across Australia? W.A only has 130 ventilators with 101 on order. They are hard to get because all countries are chasing them.
The article below is really worth reading....hoping Australia's curve flattens out sooner than later.
1-5e6f5e00d5a92__700.jpg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly think he made the wrong call proceeding with round 1 but I don’t pretend for a moment that he hasn’t been under enormous pressure or that he made what he genuinely believed was the best decision

Not going to lie, I shed a tear listening to his press conference on the radio this afternoon. Football has been the bass guitar for my life for as long as I can remember. It was my bedrock. I was obsessed with it to the point I would drive 30kms to watch players train through a fence up until the day I was told by Simpson to stop (for those that ever wondered, the club does read this board)

Today, it was taken away and the fact I knew it was coming didn’t soften the blow one iota

For me, it was the moment the reality of what we’re facing hit home and believe me when I say my own personal situation means I was already acutely aware of the challenges ahead of me (and that has nothing to do with my perceived age)

The impacts, even setting aside the inevitable loss of life, are going to be significant and long lasting. Job losses will be unprecedented as will business collapses, big and small.

I do ubereats for a living. In the coming days I’ll walk into restaurants that won’t exist by the time this is over. My daughter works at one of them and as of tonight she has no more shifts. Hopefully they get through so she has something to go back to eventually

Government is faced with impossible choices - doing what needs to be done for public health reasons knowing that every measure taken to combat the virus spread digs an ever deepening hole for our economy to climb out of

The world will be different. Football in all likelihood will be different and I miss it already

That makes me sad
Here you are making me chop onions at 4am.

You’ll pull through Keyser.

Who is “they” ??
Wheres there funding come from
And wheres the link?
Thanks

And who is the (((jeeeewwwsss))) ?
Here’s a link I found a couple of days ago:

Definitive language (confirms, proved) used throughout the article doesn’t match some of the language in the quotes, which irks me some. On the 2 key features of the genetic code used to ‘confirm’ the natural transmission hypothesis:

“If you were to hypothetically manufacture a novel coronavirus in the lab, they say, this would be an extremely unexpected feature to use”.

“According to the researchers, its effectiveness strongly suggests it’s the result of natural selection, not the product of genetic engineering.”

I haven’t looked into this any further. The quoted expert is from a group called Scripps Research.

Who is “they” ??
Wheres there funding come from
And wheres the link?
Thanks

And who is the (((jeeeewwwsss))) ?
One question you have to ask is why develop a bioweapon that targets older people?

It does seem to impact men more than women (link below) so perhaps it was created to counter those geriatric special forces units led by Arnie, Bruce and Sly Stallone?

Am pulling our son from school today..maybe over-reactonary, better to be safe than sorry!
I disagree with Scomo's comments about the need for children to continue going to school and being educated. What good is that if they get infected? And bring that infection home to infect others...and pity the teachers! He has stated parents can pull their kids if they choose, we're not waiting any longer.
*Not wishing to scaremonger, but the overriding message from badly infected countries is to "stay at home" and lock down...as we're looking at a real spike this week and next week across Australia? W.A only has 130 ventilators with 101 on order. They are hard to get because all countries are chasing them.
The article below is really worth reading....hoping Australia's curve flattens out sooner than later.
Yeah we are keeping our kids home. My son would/will be fine, but my daughter has co-morbidities and it's just not worth the risk of him bringing something home. She was home most of last week with unrelated illness, but we decided lat night it was time to make the call.

I have to make a run to Cockburn gateway this arvo. It'll be the last shops run I make for a very, very long time.

It is going to be a very weird world for the next few months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back