Universal Love Tell us about your local footy club

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi everyone, I guess during this lockdown period and no footy on, we missed an opportunity to talk local footy. I am keen to learn about other peoples clubs supported, town teams etc. What are their colours? Are they successful? Are you still playing? Go on, tell us about your local club.

Hi everyone, I guess during this lockdown period and no footy on, we missed an opportunity to talk local footy. I am keen to learn about other peoples clubs supported, town teams etc. What are their colours? Are they successful? Are you still playing? Go on, tell us about your local club.

Good thread.

I live in Melbourne and have moved between a few suburbs last few years (although spent 17 years in Richmond - local team !), so don't really have a local team in the sense of the word as such. However I follow the Albury Tigers in the Ovens and Murray league. I've got mates and work associates that live in Yarrawonga (Pigeons - what a great name), Corowa (Kangaroos) and Wodonga (Bulldogs). Makes for a lot of good banter. Lot of ex AFL players and coaches in that league. Lot of money. The Albury Tigers are very successful. They've played in 10 out of the last 11 GF's and won 7 of them. Great ground too.

Good thread.

I live in Melbourne and have moved between a few suburbs last few years (although spent 17 years in Richmond - local team !), so don't really have a local team in the sense of the word as such. However I follow the Albury Tigers in the Ovens and Murray league. I've got mates and work associates that live in Yarrawonga (Pigeons - what a great name), Corowa (Kangaroos) and Wodonga (Bulldogs). Makes for a lot of good banter. Lot of ex AFL players and coaches in that league. Lot of money. The Albury Tigers are very successful. They've played in 10 out of the last 11 GF's and won 7 of them. Great ground too.
I had a few season at Albury 15 years ago. Fantastic club. People were amazing. Way too much money in the leagues down there. Having coached in the Tallangatta League and played 6 season in the Hume League, I’ve seen it all good and bad.
My home club Queanbeyan set the standards for culture. Easily the best culture of a footy club I’ve ever seen.

I had a few season at Albury 15 years ago. Fantastic club. People were amazing. Way too much money in the leagues down there. Having coached in the Tallangatta League and played 6 season in the Hume League, I’ve seen it all good and bad.
My home club Queanbeyan set the standards for culture. Easily the best culture of a footy club I’ve ever seen.

I also keep an eye on the TFL having played in it for a number of years, back in its glory days. 23,000 at GF's !!

my local footy clubs include Ormond VAFA , Ainslie 3rd grade and Cooma and ACT Masters

In the early 80's Ormond was a super serious , very professional , successful A Grade Amateurs club

Then I move to Canberra for work and ended up with Ainslie, while only playing 3rd grade
the club was success driven at the higher grades , the amateur side had a cultre that ebbed and flowed
it depended heavily on who made up the group that year , in plenty of years it was very good

In the early my eldest son started playing with Cooma a few years back , 4th grade footy in the Canberra comp.
I went along for a look , bad move ? ended up being assistant coach for four years

they had been struggling to field a side for many years and a few die hards were keeping the club going
due to their efforts they were slowly improving

by not being in finals it did seem they didn't attract the dickheads and had a good culture
that term can be thrown around a lot , but the workers behind the club were extremely decent people and I had no hesitation giving them a hand

the football gods did shine on them and some better players came along and added to the group and they got their first finals appearance in 19 years
and a few years later got the first premiership in 34 years

and when you get too old for suburban football what better than Masters AFL
it is truly great , a great way to get out and be active , its especially good for those 35 - 45 , but if your body holds up you can play till your 50's & 60's
the guys involved lose that mongrel they had in their early days , it is footy for fun in middle of the season
and come National carnival time you see a surprising level of clean competitive footy

it is a great game we play & watch

my local footy clubs include Ormond VAFA , Ainslie 3rd grade and Cooma and ACT Masters

In the early 80's Ormond was a super serious , very professional , successful A Grade Amateurs club

Having fractured and dislocated my hip in the finals of the 1987 season in Qld (Just like Sammy Day did for Gold Coast decades later), I was moved to Melbourne almost immediately by the company I worked for. As I had previously lived in Ormond and knew of their great culture, I ventured down to the Club in the January of the 1989 season after having all of 1988 off. Trained there much of January and whilst it was quite a step up for me, really loved the challenge, the boys were welcoming etc. Think the coach was Grace for memory - great player. Sadly did my Achilles trudging the hills of Berwick and never got on the park that year. It is my one great footy regret to have not played a game for them - sounds a bit weird, but yeah - really liked the Club I never actually played for!:think:

Played at Murrumbeena in the very early 80's, a stint in Qld for 6 years, then eventually wound up at Cheltenham (mighty Rosella's) late in my footy life, played under Baz White. Really interesting Club. Nearly folded I'm told in the late 80's, was the Club Trevor Barker grew up with, his old man the President or Patron or something like that. Won three flags in four years after that in the SFL. Fond memories of playing Beaumaris, Caulfield, East Brighton. Not so fond of Collingwood Districts and St Kilda City.

Last edited:

Quangers boy here too. Queanbeyan Tigers. Yellow sash on black. Tigerland is the song. They currently play in the ACTAFL, after a short stint in the NEAFL. (Playing against AFL seconds was just a step too far.)

Bloody loved my time there. It was mostly juniors, with a few games in the u19s and Ressies, while junior aged.

For those who don't know Quangers, it's something like Geelong. Or Newcastle. Or maybe Wodonga. It's the blue collar pimple on the arse of the bigger town. Canberra teams genuinely s**t themselves having to play the Tigers. And not because we were good. We lost most games every year. It was because we were very, very physical, and very, very angry. We played on Saturdays and I reckon more than half of my team played rugby league or rugby union on the Sunday, so we were better practiced at the physical side of the game. And we were playing the skinny, smarmy sons of public servants and university staff. We had a chip on our shoulder and you could see it from Wagga. *. Them. All. If we were going to lose (and we were), then we were sending them home sore.

I must be a bit older than you though, Boxhead007, because the Kulcha in the seniors wasn't notable when I was involved. Having said that, it wasn't bad. Just a bit, well, parttime. Not many players got paid. And those that did, mostly got paid in fuel vouchers from the Hunny Bunny Servo.

I was gone by the mid-90s, when the success finally came.

Quangers boy here too. Queanbeyan Tigers. Yellow sash on black. Tigerland is the song. They currently play in the ACTAFL, after a short stint in the NEAFL. (Playing against AFL seconds was just a step too far.)

Bloody loved my time there. It was mostly juniors, with a few games in the u19s and Ressies, while junior aged.

For those who don't know Quangers, it's something like Geelong. Or Newcastle. Or maybe Wodonga. It's the blue collar pimple on the arse of the bigger town. Canberra teams genuinely s**t themselves having to play the Tigers. And not because we were good. We lost most games every year. It was because we were very, very physical, and very, very angry. We played on Saturdays and I reckon more than half of my team played rugby league or rugby union on the Sunday, so we were better practiced at the physical side of the game. And we were playing the skinny, smarmy sons of public servants and university staff. We had a chip on our shoulder and you could see it from Wagga. fu**. Them. All. If we were going to lose (and we were), then we were sending them home sore.

I must be a bit older than you though, Boxhead007, because the Kulcha in the seniors wasn't notable when I was involved. Having said that, it wasn't bad. Just a bit, well, parttime. Not many players got paid. And those that did, mostly got paid in fuel vouchers from the Hunny Bunny Servo.

I was gone by the mid-90s, when the success finally came.

You were obviously there early 80s. I started playing in the senior grades from 95 so would have just missed you. Was around the club though. I remember the hunny bunny funny munny although I was wee tacker then. My family was heavily involved with the club from the late 70s and still involved now. Plus from about 85 onward Queanbeyan won more then they lost. I was fortunate enough to play in back to back senior flags there in 99 and 00s.
But that’s a funny analogy about playing the Canberra sides. I myself played for the tigers on Saturday and Blues (rugby league) on Sunday

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Use to play for Spotswood U18's...green with a yellow V...before they even had their new whiz bang Social Club built!
Was asked to go down to Sth Melbourne swans for a run...broke my right wrist in the second last game...lost interest then in becoming a "Richo"...

You were obviously there early 80s. I started playing in the senior grades from 95 so would have just missed you. Was around the club though. I remember the hunny bunny funny munny although I was wee tacker then. My family was heavily involved with the club from the late 70s and still involved now. Plus from about 85 onward Queanbeyan won more then they lost. I was fortunate enough to play in back to back senior flags there in 99 and 00s.
But that’s a funny analogy about playing the Canberra sides. I myself played for the tigers on Saturday and Blues (rugby league) on Sunday

You nailed the dates. I would have been 21 and gone for a few years by 95.

There were always good people around the Qbn Tiges. I always feel warm thinking about it. There were often kids coming from a long way back, down that end of town. Kids who didn't have a lift to the game, boots, breakfast, whatever, and someone always helped those boys.

I played a few games for the Blues, too. Even after we moved closer to the Roos club. I just had more mates at the Blues.

Bloody love Q-Town. Still have family there. Went for a kick at Margaret Donohue Oval with my son when we were visiting in Jan. The main oval has a functioning fence, these days, so we couldn't get on it, but it looks a bloody picture. Beautiful surface. The stand is more than a set of concrete steps! Great to see the club going strong.

You nailed the dates. I would have been 21 and gone for a few years by 95.

There were always good people around the Qbn Tiges. I always feel warm thinking about it. There were often kids coming from a long way back, down that end of town. Kids who didn't have a lift to the game, boots, breakfast, whatever, and someone always helped those boys.

I played a few games for the Blues, too. Even after we moved closer to the Roos club. I just had more mates at the Blues.

Bloody love Q-Town. Still have family there. Went for a kick at Margaret Donohue Oval with my son when we were visiting in Jan. The main oval has a functioning fence, these days, so we couldn't get on it, but it looks a bloody picture. Beautiful surface. The stand is more than a set of concrete steps! Great to see the club going strong.

Clubs flying bud. I was down there last August for a reunion it’s still buzzing along. My parents still live 5 minutes from the footy club and dad has an off field role at both the footy club and licenced club.

Was a late starter too football. Played soccer in my junior years but continued floggings in the Bendigo league put paid to my interest an in fact the whole towns soccer club.
Being over 6ft in my teens I was invited too train with the Seymour 3rds at the tender age of 16.Firdt year was used as a development year for me with a few games.But it did give the chance to play along side Russell Richards(Melb).Next year played every game including finals as our chb.Come across Les Bamblet who played for Lemnnos by memory.
My last year with Seymour 3rds and infact the club itself since then was very sour as our new coach cut me because of a run in he had with my parents at the store they ran.(Found out later as he was to gutless to tell me why).
But anyway I went on to play 2 seasons with Nagambie in the Kdfl.Great 2yrs and a great club.Even now they are the premier club of the Kdfl with about 6 flags in the past 8yrs or something.I reckon they could take the next step into the gvfl.
After my stint with Nagambie unfortunately in a way family and work took priority for the 3yrs.
Was coaxed too pull on the boots for the club that holds the closest to my heart.The Longwood FC.Spent 4 great years.The best in my football career.Just like the RFC of today.Everyone got on so well with each other.Just brilliant.
I'm amazed how Longwood is still going today.Had to jump into the much stronger league in the Kdfl after the bdfl was disbanded.I don't think it's ever won more than 2 games in a year but thanks too the locals and from my understanding the Nagambie FC they're still going today.
Retired from football in my prime.lol
But will always keep a keen eye on both Nagambie & Longwood.

Was a late starter too football. Played soccer in my junior years but continued floggings in the Bendigo league put paid to my interest an in fact the whole towns soccer club.
Being over 6ft in my teens I was invited too train with the Seymour 3rds at the tender age of 16.Firdt year was used as a development year for me with a few games.But it did give the chance to play along side Russell Richards(Melb).Next year played every game including finals as our chb.Come across Les Bamblet who played for Lemnnos by memory.
My last year with Seymour 3rds and infact the club itself since then was very sour as our new coach cut me because of a run in he had with my parents at the store they ran.(Found out later as he was to gutless to tell me why).
But anyway I went on to play 2 seasons with Nagambie in the Kdfl.Great 2yrs and a great club.Even now they are the premier club of the Kdfl with about 6 flags in the past 8yrs or something.I reckon they could take the next step into the gvfl.
After my stint with Nagambie unfortunately in a way family and work took priority for the 3yrs.
Was coaxed too pull on the boots for the club that holds the closest to my heart.The Longwood FC.Spent 4 great years.The best in my football career.Just like the RFC of today.Everyone got on so well with each other.Just brilliant.
I'm amazed how Longwood is still going today.Had to jump into the much stronger league in the Kdfl after the bdfl was disbanded.I don't think it's ever won more than 2 games in a year but thanks too the locals and from my understanding the Nagambie FC they're still going today.
Retired from football in my prime.lol
But will always keep a keen eye on both Nagambie & Longwood.
Russell Richards what a waste .Barassi totally stuffed his career playing him in the backline .Played a great game against the Hawks one day and kicked 4 goals i think .
Russell was a great mate of Robin The Claw White ,and instrumental in getting him too Seymour in 91 and winning the flag .
I also played 3rds at the Lions in 84 85 then the Lakers in 86 and then back to the Lions in 87.
Amazing the Redlegs are still going .

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Russell Richards what a waste .Barassi totally stuffed his career playing him in the backline .Played a great game against the Hawks one day and kicked 4 goals i think .
Russell was a great mate of Robin The Claw White ,and instrumental in getting him too Seymour in 91 and winning the flag .
I also played 3rds at the Lions in 84 85 then the Lakers in 86 and then back to the Lions in 87.
Amazing the Redlegs are still going .

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree.Richards was a smaller version of Richo.Had the size but speed to play on the wing.
I remember Robin White and that era vividly but I was still sore from my 3rds days to have an overly interest too the SFC.
Amazing about Longwood.I think from the benella district league only violet town & Longwood are still going.

Played under 15's and U17's for Norwood in the old Eastern Districts Football League, in U17's played CHB and came up against Ringwood who had Paul Van Der Haar at CHF... any pretentions I had as a footballer were quickly disabused!!
Played two years in the seniors and then played a year at West Heidelberg, played one game and did my shoulder and out for the year.
After that transferred to Geelong and didn't play any footy, too busy drinking.
It was only when I got transferred back to Melbourne that I got talked into playing for ANZ in the ammos, Z division, and had a ball. Our clubrooms at Oval 15 were plain and crappy but had the best atmosphere, cricket club as well, but we lost them during the Grand Prix rebuild, club survived as Albert Park but was never the same... was 39/40 when I gave it up.

Played under 15's and U17's for Norwood in the old Eastern Districts Football League, in U17's played CHB and came up against Ringwood who had Paul Van Der Haar at CHF... any pretentions I had as a footballer were quickly disabused!!
Played two years in the seniors and then played a year at West Heidelberg, played one game and did my shoulder and out for the year.
After that transferred to Geelong and didn't play any footy, too busy drinking.
It was only when I got transferred back to Melbourne that I got talked into playing for ANZ in the ammos, Z division, and had a ball. Our clubrooms at Oval 15 were plain and crappy but had the best atmosphere, cricket club as well, but we lost them during the Grand Prix rebuild, club survived as Albert Park but was never the same... was 39/40 when I gave it up.

Played EDFL Under 13's for Nunawading and 15's for Forest Hill - probably toweled you up as well :tearsofjoy:

Played EDFL Under 13's for Nunawading and 15's for Forest Hill - probably toweled you up as well :tearsofjoy:
Don't think Nunawading of Forest Hill have EVER toweled anyone up!
That Ringwood side had Neil "Nobby" Clarke in the middle (RIP :'() and flogged everyone.

Don't think Nunawading of Forest Hill have EVER toweled anyone up!
That Ringwood side had Neil "Nobby" Clarke in the middle (RIP :'() and flogged everyone.

Haha, yes Ringwood was mighty good, but we always had Rowville's measure by at least 30 goals!!!!!! Chirnside was never a fun trip, nor UFTG.

Looking back, I should have ridden my bike up to Vermont, that would have been a much happier time in junior footy, and in a higher grade too.

This thread got me all nostalgic so I hunted down some old footage (1976 Williamstown vs Mordialloc) on the Tube of my glory days, well I was in the stands that day, but played with many of these players about 5 years later as an 19 yr old. Geoff Rosenow was my playing coach, famous for the brawl down the race against North at Kardinia Park. Funny they changed the hoops from round to up and down because the jumpers made us look fat. Geelong did the same for Doug Wade (half way round). Great football back then, don't even remember it as being dirty like it was supposed to be. Wide eyed youth.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back