Post your best Round 1 Team (Cartoon supporters welcome but dont talk about your injuries)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
As the title of the thread reads - Best 23 players for Round 1 and would be good to see Cartoons team also

B: Grimes - Tarrant - Broad
HB: Vlastuin - Balta - DRioli
C: Pickett - Taranto - McIntosh
HF: Bolton - Riewoldt - Martin
F: MRioli - Lynch - Cumberland
R: Nankervis - Hopper - Prestia
I: Cotchin - Baker - Short - Miller
S: Ralphsmith
E: Soldo Sonsie Graham Ross

As the title of the thread reads - Best 23 players for Round 1 and would be good to see Cartoons team also

Pretty spot on

Who would u include?

FB: Cowan Weitering Young
HB: Saad McGovern Newman
C: Obrien Cripps Acres
HF: Martin Mckay Fisher
FF: Motlop Curnow Durdin
Foll: Pittonet Cerra Hewett
Int: TDK Docherty Kennedy Silvagni
Sub: Cuningham

Cottrell injured for rd 1
Dow is sh*t
Docherty playing midfield
Cowan expected to play for Williams whos pretty quick off the mark
Durdin and Cuningham as sub for some extra speed.
Obrien apparently been outstanding this off season but I'd rather be backing a Hen in a cockfight than back Obrien not to be rubbish.

Other than that pretty close to what most Blues fans would expect.

I think Sonsie needs to play instead of Short or Kmac. However we're riddled with a plethora of midfield options now.

Agree Sonsie needs to play, but can't bring myself to kick anyone out.
Why did you suggest Short or KMac? As direct replacement or shuffle the deck around?
Likely one or two players may not be available after practice matches. Injuries happen and hopefully if any they’re minor. Selection may take care of itself

Grimes, Tarrant, Broad
Vlastuin, Balta, Rioli
McIntosh, Hopper, Pickett
Martin, Riewoldt, Bolton
MRJ, Lynch, Cotchin
Nankervis, Prestia, Taranto
Miller, Baker, Graham, Short
Sub: Ross

Emg/ Soldo, Ralphsmith, Sonsie, Cumberland

That team looks very strong. Just hoping the older boys stay at the level and we're in with a shot.

Not bad. Big bodies and also pace and pressure in the forward line. Will be a tricky matchup.

I think we have your wings covered.
Backline looks good but if Cowan is starting 6 I’d be interested to see who he matches up on.
Assume Weitering and Young get Jack and Lynch. Newman gets Cumberland. McGovern, Saad and Cowan to cover Bolton, Martin and Rioli. That could be the concern for them.

TDK probably has a good matchup with Miller as second ruck. I think Tom might have him covered in round 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cottrell injured for rd 1
Dow is sh*t
Docherty playing midfield
Cowan expected to play for Williams whos pretty quick off the mark
Durdin and Cuningham as sub for some extra speed.
Obrien apparently been outstanding this off season but I'd rather be backing a Hen in a cockfight than back Obrien not to be rubbish.

Other than that pretty close to what most Blues fans would expect.

Would be a brave selection to pit a barely 18yo debutante against our forward line with some of the predators we will have lurking around down there. More likely one of Plowman, Akuei, Kemp might get the gig? Aside from that concern, and given you look like having Walsh, Williams, Boyd, and Cottrell missing it does show you have reasonable depth. I will be watching McGovern with interest. He played well last year in this match, but was on Riewoldt who broke his thumb early from memory. I thought McGovern looked extremely iffy defensively as the season wore on, and the Tigers will be looking to exploit him in that area.

Agree Sonsie needs to play, but can't bring myself to kick anyone out.
Why did you suggest Short or KMac? As direct replacement or shuffle the deck around?
I just think Short has now become disposable with Rioli taking his spot and two extra mids added and Dusty ready to explode again. He fights with KMAC for a wing spot as Hopper and Sonsie could easily slide into that position. It's going to be sad at season's end when a few blokes miss out on a premiership medal such is the strength of our list.

That team looks very strong. Just hoping the older boys stay at the level and we're in with a shot.
Agree if the older boys don't perform to standard their spot needs to be up for question. We were easily a top 4 side last year, but we went with Edwards, George, Aarts and Soldo for too long which messed our season up.

Would be a brave selection to pit a barely 18yo debutante against our forward line with some of the predators we will have lurking around down there. More likely one of Plowman, Akuei, Kemp might get the gig? Aside from that concern, and given you look like having Walsh, Williams, Boyd, and Cottrell missing it does show you have reasonable depth. I will be watching McGovern with interest. He played well last year in this match, but was on Riewoldt who broke his thumb early from memory. I thought McGovern looked extremely iffy defensively as the season wore on, and the Tigers will be looking to exploit him in that area.
Plowman or Kemp could be in his place but don't provide anywhere near the drive off half back that we'll be lacking without Williams and Doch playing a midfield role so I'd lean towards Cowan. Watching him down at training he certainly comes across as the type of kid who would embrace a big game in front of 90k, just has a bit of an edge to him and loves the physicality. Body wise he's good to go too, well filled out for a youngster and a decent runner.

FokgCGnaAAA3NRF

Really that last spot in the backline is the only position that would be up for debate I feel, everywhere else we're pretty set with who our best options are. Only smoky is another draftee in Ollie Hollands who was supposedly best on the last couple of open trainings and finds the ball at will playing wing and half fwd, but he's very very slight of frame for now and imo they'd want to blood him against a younger team such as North or Essendon where he wouldn't be up against such big bodies to start off with.

Anyone looking for some supercoach tips those are the only 2 looking likely for Carlton who would have much value, Hollands will score well if he plays but not sure how early he'd be seeing games given his frame.

As for Mcgovern I'm holding off on any pre season hype... started the year well and is now in the best condition we've seen him since his Crows days, he could easily come out and play a blinder again... he could just as likely do a hammy at half time reaching for a donut and miss half the season again like he does every year... So a wait and see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back