Opinion Your best ever/favourite Richmond team of all time.

Remove this Banner Ad

What position did Terry Smith play?
Wore No.46 in our 1980 premiership team. Played off half back but was a great protector of our little men, even though he wasn't very big himself.

Was given No.10 I think in 1981. Moved to St.Kilda in 1983 but came back to Richmond in 1986(?).

Sadly passed away way too soon.

Loved the bloke. Would go to war with him and Andy Goodwin.

my favourite run on side

malthouse rance grimes
vlaustin jess keane
bourke cotchin raines
alan edwards hart m.richardson
KB roach martin

cloke wiley m. rioli

inter: lee prestia riewoldt pickett broderick balme weightman
Alan Edwards. Wow! I thought I was the only one who would consider him. Absolute star who was cut down in his prime by multiple serious knee reconstructions. Seriously one of the most explosive footballers I have seen. I thought he was going to be better than Hart but he was cruelly cut down.

The King

a6388de87745a38640cf28afb5bc658d

Man that last 6 weeks or so was so good. Especially the freo game. Bloody good performance in the granny too

Alan Edwards. Wow! I thought I was the only one who would consider him. Absolute star who was cut down in his prime by multiple serious knee reconstructions. Seriously one of the most explosive footballers I have seen. I thought he was going to be better than Hart but he was cruelly cut down.
yeah hes kinda forgotten,but not by yourself ,debuted at 17yrs,watched him live going toe to toe with prime Keith Greig a coupla times and actually matching him when wingers would play on one untha all day,my old man looks at me an says 'son, hes gonna be a superstar',twas a shame.

B: D.Martin- D.Martin- D.Martin
HB: D.Martin- D.Martin- D.Martin
C: D.Martin- D.Martin- D.Martin
HF: D.Martin- R.Hart- D.Martin
FF: D.Martin- M.Richardson D.Martin
R: J.Dyer- M.Rioli snr- D.Martin
Int: B.Morris - T. Cotchin- I. Stewart- R. Wright (you have to have a brownlow or two to sit on this bench )

Coache: D.Hardwick

<we cant have 18 Duty's on the field , so throw in a few others to confuse the opposition >

B: D.Martin- D.Martin- D.Martin
HB: D.Martin- D.Martin- D.Martin
C: D.Martin- D.Martin- D.Martin
HF: D.Martin- R.Hart- D.Martin
FF: D.Martin- M.Richardson D.Martin
R: J.Dyer- M.Rioli snr- D.Martin
Int: B.Morris - T. Cotchin- I. Stewart- R. Wright (you have to have a brownlow or two to sit on this bench )

Coache: D.Hardwick

<we cant have 18 Duty's on the field , so throw in a few others to confuse the opposition >
But,but Gary Ablett is the greatest player Eva.

yeah hes kinda forgotten,but not by yourself ,debuted at 17yrs,watched him live going toe to toe with prime Keith Greig a coupla times and actually matching him when wingers would play on one untha all day,my old man looks at me an says 'son, hes gonna be a superstar',twas a shame.
A fair bit of water has passed under the bridge since, but I remember Alan Edwards as a forward, specifically CHF. Played in that position for Collingwood in the 1979 GF.

I may be wrong but I reckon it was Bryan Wood who always played on Keith Grieg and always held his own on a wing. Brilliant player Bryan Wood.

A fair bit of water has passed under the bridge since, but I remember Alan Edwards as a forward, specifically CHF. Played in that position for Collingwood in the 1979 GF.

I may be wrong but I reckon it was Bryan Wood who always played on Keith Grieg and always held his own on a wing. Brilliant player Bryan Wood.
from my recollection when Allan was 17,18 they definitely gave him plenty of goes on the wing,cos he was pencil thin then,i reckon by age 19 (1977)
he was playing more as a fwd and definitely by the end of '77 he was permanent fwd cos Roach was getting games in '77 as a winger
with Wood on the other and your spot on he did start CHF for Collingwood '79 GF,hed gained a lot of weight and slowed down considerably cos of the knee operations

Have watched Richmond for over 40 years, I won't do a best ever but will mention some players who gave me the most enjoyment:

• Dale Weightman
  • Maurice Rioli Snr
  • Jim Jess
  • Michael Roach
  • Matthew Richardson
  • Matthew Knights
  • Darren Gaspar
  • Trent Cotchin
  • Dustin Martin
  • Jack Riewoldt
  • Alex Rance

Never saw Dyer or Hart play but you talk to every old timer (older than gen X) and the first name they drop is Royce Hart.
I’m n old campaigner no the first name I drop is Kevin Bartlett, then Royce Hart

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me (players I've personally seen) the 22 selected:

Dustin Martin
Kevin Bartlett
Maurice Rioli snr
Royce Hart
Matthew Richardson
Jack Riewoldt
Michael Roach
Francis Bourke
Dick Clay
Bill Barrot
Geoff Raines
Trent Cotchin
Matthew Knights
Paul Broderick
Alex Rance
Dylan Grimes
Jim Jess
Mervyn Keane
Dale Weightman
Kevin Sheedy
Neil Balme
Michael Green

Apologies to Shane Edwards, Bachar Houli, Toby Nankervis and Tom Lynch and Ian Stewart.

Never saw Dyer or Hart play but you talk to every old timer (older than gen X) and the first name they drop is Royce Hart.
I was high school aged during the 70's
KB was my standout
but was aware how Richmond supporters , en masse, were in love with Royce
the richmond sides all through the 70's were littered with great players
it was a truly wonderful time to be a Tigers supporter and lucky to be going to most games

B---- bolger ----Sheahan----O'Neil
Hb- rance--- Murdoch----houli
C- geddes-- m rioli-senior-- knights
Hf - Bartlett-- Richo-- m -rogers
Ff , weightman-- reiwoldt-- dusty
R Bentley -- dyer ---barrett
Inter- g-raines- -- g-Rudolph ---f bourke-----m -frazer --- d- kellaway

B---- bolger ----Sheahan----O'Neil
Hb- rance--- Murdoch----houli
C- geddes-- m rioli-senior-- knights
Hf - Bartlett-- Richo-- m -rogers
Ff , weightman-- reiwoldt-- dusty
R Bentley -- dyer ---barrett
Inter- g-raines- -- g-Rudolph ---f bourke-----m -frazer --- d- kellaway
I find it hard to judge people I haven't seen play with my own eyes. No doubt some of those guys in the late 1920's and early 30's were legendary. Skinny Titus would be a must in any Richmond team if you included the old-timers as too Roy Wright.
That said, the game is so different now. There are 18 teams, with travel. Shared home grounds. Tactics such as team defence are just so different, it's like 2 entirely different sports.

I find it hard to judge people I haven't seen play with my own eyes. No doubt some of those guys in the late 1920's and early 30's were legendary. Skinny Titus would be a must in any Richmond team if you included the old-timers as too Roy Wright.
That said, the game is so different now. There are 18 teams, with travel. Shared home grounds. Tactics such as team defence are just so different, it's like 2 entirely different sports.
You can only be a great in the era you played. Players today are full time professionals making good coin. Back in the old days they had regular jobs trained a couple of nights a week and played on Saturday. It's hard to compare I agree but I'm sure the greats of yesterday would be great players today.

You can only be a great in the era you played. Players today are full time professionals making good coin. Back in the old days they had regular jobs trained a couple of nights a week and played on Saturday. It's hard to compare I agree but I'm sure the greats of yesterday would be great players today.
I'm not sure you can say they would be great today. They were top of their tree then because they had traits that meant they excelled at the sport the way it was played back then. Those same traits may not allow them to dominate now. So I don't think it's automatic. The same goes the other way too. Being an athletic running beast may not have given as much of an advantage the way the game was played 100 years ago.

There is one person's opinion I hold above all when it comes to the richmond football club,,and that is captain blood jack dyer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back