Opinion Who is the greatest Richmond player of all time?

Who is the greatest Richmond player of all time?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Multiple votes allowed if you can't separate.
Edit: Richo, Cotchin, Riewoldt ,Vic Thorpe and Bourke added.

Edit: Ok we have enough votes (79) in as of Wed 14th of dec at 6.03pm.

According to the Richmond board the greatest Richmond players are ..

1. Dustin Martin
- The strength of a beast and the skills of a surgeon. Along with supporting crew, he delivered the club 3 grand finals and is unequivocally the greatest finals player of all time.
Incredibly humble, a man who overcame mental demons and parasitic journalists to become king of modern AFL.

2. Kevin Bartlett
- Incredible longevity. Skill and poise. An underrated athlete who won 5 flags and 5 b&fs.
Ran rings around oppo players for 20 years, would have dominated in any era.
They don't build statues unless you are a great.

3.Royce Hart
- Dominant soaring center half-forward who starred in the golden era. Umbeatable one-on-one. Still dominated when he did his knee. A great of the game.

Equal 4th
Jack Dyer
- The man of his era, a true leader of men who had skill, toughness and was a fearsome presence.

Alex Rance
- Changed the way defenders played, the greatest defender of the modern era. Could read the ball flight before all other players and showed exceptional bravery.

-

Last edited:

Jack & Trent deserve to have their names in lights more than Rance imo
Ok I've put them in. Rance changed the game and played zone defence playing on multiple players at once. People like Leigh Mathews and Wayne Carey says he's the greatest defender of all time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dusty - but acknowledge a bit of "recency bias" but pretty tough to compare different era's and positional players.
Never saw Capt Blood play so just going off his legacy really but 3 Norms gets Dusty over the line for me.
Yeah, agree with the recency bias. I wish I was around to see Dyer play.
But you can't argue with Dusty's achievement. So he gets my vote too.

Pretty hard to separate Dusty, Royce Hart, KB and Francis Bourke imo.

Hart was the greatest CHF of all time (along with Carey), named at CHF in the team of the century.

Bourke was on the wing in the all time team of the century but could play anywhere. Hard as *.

KB was the biggest omission from that team, great small forward/rover but probably competed with Leigh Matthew for that spot.

I'll include Dyer as well in the five i'd name.

Are we talking football talent or what they meant to the club spiritually?

I don't think too many on this board would have seen Dyer and from the stories my Granddad told me (who went to school with him) he was equal parts skill, courage and ruthlessness.

If we're judging on the former I'd be saying it's probably between Hart, Martin and KB. If the latter Dyer, Bourke and blokes like Richo and Cotchin.

Big apologies to Thorp, but I don't think anyone on this board would be in a position to make a decent judgement re his comparative ability.

Maurice Rioli was maybe the most talented player.

He burst on scene and was always a good player but maybe got weighed down by the decline of the club during his time there.

Ian Stewart would be in the conversation if he played more games at Richmond and not wasted his time at the Saints. Not old enough to see him play but his reputation is huge amongst those who did.

Back