Best Richmond game you've ever attended. (Excluding finals)

Remove this Banner Ad

When I remember well, although I wasn't there, was the 95 draw with Essendon
That was actually my first game at the G. (I'd been there for a Test match in 1987 but first footy game). It was an incredible game. Felt like Essendong were going to run away with it early with the first few goals but after that it was an insane atmosphere when we kicked into gear. I remember walking up to Jolimont in a silent mass of fans afterwards!

3 for me.

When we beat Geelong at Geelong in 2006. Chris Hyde kicked 4. Remember standing in the outer and getting free food and beer all day because of friend of mine was working the catering that day. Great day.

When we smashed GWS in Sydney and Jack kicked 11. Comfortable day at the office with no worries

For the Lols the Joel Bowden game v Bombers. I went with 3 Essendon supporters and they absolutely lost it in the last quarter. I was laughing my head off. Think it was 2008. Good times.

Just for pure elation and the context of our modern club history, 2017 QF against Geelong. First winning final I'd ever attended, it took us straight to the PF, it was Geelong's home game and yet one of my great experiences was the boos when they came out with a dominant Tigers crowd there, and just the epicness of destroying them in the second half.

Very closely followed by the 2019 PF, with our second half comeback. Punt Road end was absolutely rocking in that 3rd quarter.

I went to the game with a Hawks supporting mate and his family and sat in the hawks members area @ the G in 2003 when we came back from 51 points down in the 2nd quarter. was a good day.

Edit: * me 2003, 21 years ago. I'm becoming an old bastard.

Was that the game a Hawks player slammed either Wayne Campbell or Knights into the fence after a tackle?
I seem to recall it fired the team up and sparked a comeback.

I watched this game last night on the tube of you.

Didn't realise Conca, Elton and Menendue all played. Elton did ok (surprisingly).

Interesting how engaged all the players were compared to last year.

Hopefully ooze gets that back

I watched this game last night on the tube of you.

Didn't realise Conca, Elton and Menendue all played. Elton did ok (surprisingly).

Interesting how engaged all the players were compared to last year.

Hopefully ooze gets that back

Sizzling hot opening...
Yes the players were totally engaged...
JR8 superb with the opening two goals...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2003 comeback win over the Hawks.
Down by about 50 in the 2nd Q and stormed back in the 3rd. Very Premiershipmondy style ahead of its time!

I still get a laugh out of this review of this game, by the late Matt Price...

Left Field - Matt Price

RAIN MAN was on the telly last Saturday evening, which is appropriate since I'm about to overwhelm you with figures. Something weird happened that night. It started at 5pm and lasted almost 23 hours, ending a little before 4Pm Sunday. It was an eerie phenomenon, passing as quickly as it came. For those who noticed and I'm guessing there were thousands of us, it was all very surreal. Did it really happen? it couldn't have, could it?

Rest assured, it did. If you rush out to the recycling and rescue last Sunday's newspapers, you'll see it recorded for posterity. Turn to the sport section and look at the ladder. There it is underneath the AFL results. See who's top - Richmond.

I know, I know, the ladder isn't settled until Sunday night. By then Brisbane were back in their rightful place, dropping the Tigers to second. But why be pedantic (and spoil a good column)? For one extra ordinary night Richmond bestrode the AFL.

Danny Frawley's mob is comfortably the worst side to top the afl ladder after a month or more the afl season has elapsed. Tigers devotees shouldn't be upset by this harsh if indisputable statement. It actually a rather large compliment. That a ragtag outfit like Richmond can string together four successive wins is remarkable. Grant Thomas copped a pasting when he remarked after a tigers trouncing that "on any measure, I still firmly believe that we are a better side". Yet AFL fans can relate to the St Kilda coach's assessment.

I was blessed to attend the MCG last Saturday where within half an hour or so, the Tigers had fallen nine goals behind Hawthorn. Richmond were inexorably bad, barely touching the footy and certainly unable to get it anywhere near star forward Matthew Richardson who glowered and towered above opponent Joel Smith. Yet - and I can produce witnesses. I never thought the Tigers were gone. Inevitably Richo and the Sherrin wound up in the same postcode, Hawthorn folded like fake tan calendar boys and Richmond stormed home.

Honestly, it was the most entertaining game of footy I've seen in years featuring two hopeless sides, an umpire who up of bouncing the ball and Richo at his best (taking marks, kicking goals) and worst hobbling off injured. Not to mention impressive cameos by Greg Stafford knees and elbows. Lucky I don't live in Melbourne, otherwise Id be sorely tempted to give Freo the Old Heave Ho. Last weekend's game like watching a lifetime of Dockers matches.

Richmond's ephemeral success reinforces my possibly last theory that most AFL clubs are awful. Take another look at that ladder, The bottom eight? All rabble. Everything under Brisbane? Entirely untrustworthy. Like Thomas, I firmly believe the Dockers are better than Richmond, yet we have never won three in a row, and cop this - haven't won successive games in three years.

The Tigers are footy's Sigue Sigue Sputnik, complete frauds but proof that ambition and bad haircuts can give you vertigo. SSSS's hit single was Love Missile and you'd reckon Richmond will receive a less amorous kind of rocket when they play Port in Adelaide tonight. No one on earth could possibly tip the Tigers. Which means they'll probably get up p
ricem@theaustralian.com

Attachments​

• Matt Price - Tiger fans Finally Get Their Day in the Sun v2.jpg
    Matt Price - Tiger fans Finally Get Their Day in the Sun v2.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 3

I still get a laugh out of this review of this game, by the late Matt Price...

Left Field - Matt Price

RAIN MAN was on the telly last Saturday evening, which is appropriate since I'm about to overwhelm you with figures. Something weird happened that night. It started at 5pm and lasted almost 23 hours, ending a little before 4Pm Sunday. It was an eerie phenomenon, passing as quickly as it came. For those who noticed and I'm guessing there were thousands of us, it was all very surreal. Did it really happen? it couldn't have, could it?

Rest assured, it did. If you rush out to the recycling and rescue last Sunday's newspapers, you'll see it recorded for posterity. Turn to the sport section and look at the ladder. There it is underneath the AFL results. See who's top - Richmond.

I know, I know, the ladder isn't settled until Sunday night. By then Brisbane were back in their rightful place, dropping the Tigers to second. But why be pedantic (and spoil a good column)? For one extra ordinary night Richmond bestrode the AFL.

Danny Frawley's mob is comfortably the worst side to top the afl ladder after a month or more the afl season has elapsed. Tigers devotees shouldn't be upset by this harsh if indisputable statement. It actually a rather large compliment. That a ragtag outfit like Richmond can string together four successive wins is remarkable. Grant Thomas copped a pasting when he remarked after a tigers trouncing that "on any measure, I still firmly believe that we are a better side". Yet AFL fans can relate to the St Kilda coach's assessment.

I was blessed to attend the MCG last Saturday where within half an hour or so, the Tigers had fallen nine goals behind Hawthorn. Richmond were inexorably bad, barely touching the footy and certainly unable to get it anywhere near star forward Matthew Richardson who glowered and towered above opponent Joel Smith. Yet - and I can produce witnesses. I never thought the Tigers were gone. Inevitably Richo and the Sherrin wound up in the same postcode, Hawthorn folded like fake tan calendar boys and Richmond stormed home.

Honestly, it was the most entertaining game of footy I've seen in years featuring two hopeless sides, an umpire who up of bouncing the ball and Richo at his best (taking marks, kicking goals) and worst hobbling off injured. Not to mention impressive cameos by Greg Stafford knees and elbows. Lucky I don't live in Melbourne, otherwise Id be sorely tempted to give Freo the Old Heave Ho. Last weekend's game like watching a lifetime of Dockers matches.

Richmond's ephemeral success reinforces my possibly last theory that most AFL clubs are awful. Take another look at that ladder, The bottom eight? All rabble. Everything under Brisbane? Entirely untrustworthy. Like Thomas, I firmly believe the Dockers are better than Richmond, yet we have never won three in a row, and cop this - haven't won successive games in three years.

The Tigers are footy's Sigue Sigue Sputnik, complete frauds but proof that ambition and bad haircuts can give you vertigo. SSSS's hit single was Love Missile and you'd reckon Richmond will receive a less amorous kind of rocket when they play Port in Adelaide tonight. No one on earth could possibly tip the Tigers. Which means they'll probably get up p
ricem@theaustralian.com

Attachments​

• Matt Price - Tiger fans Finally Get Their Day in the Sun v2.jpg
    Matt Price - Tiger fans Finally Get Their Day in the Sun v2.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 3

Matt Price, yeah he passed away from a brain tumour many years ago. Unfortunately never got to see us win 3 flags before his beloved Freo.

*!!!!! Who remembers 2005 against Carlton when Nathan Brown pick pocketed Houlihan and slotted one from 50 near the boundary!!!

That was an awesome match to be at.

I've got a very odd one. Etihad Stadium. 2014. Port Adelaide. Tight game all day. Troy Chaplin in the last quarter. HUGE roar when he scored his second.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back