Best Richmond game you've ever attended. (Excluding finals)

Remove this Banner Ad

Was sitting behind the goals to the city end. Couldn’t even hear the final siren due to how crazy the crowd was. Fantastic game.

People will never understand how special the 1995 season, especially for a teenage Richmond fan. Despite all the flags, I would still place the 1995 Home & Away season (note "Home & Away Season) as my favourite in Richmond history, possibly tied with 2017. The enthusiasm of the group, the era it happened - everything about it was just incredibly special. At least to me anyway

I know it says game as in one but its so hard just to single out one so i'm going to do a by the decade of my life and might list more than one in each decade of games i actually attended.........

70's: i was just too young so can't list any from this decade

80's: Rich v Coll at VFL Park in 1985, we went 4-2 and 2nd on the ladder. . Rich vs Foots in 1989, we kicked 11 goals in the 3rd qtr and it was like nothing i had seen live before because it was the first time i had seen us kick 10+ in a qtr live.

90's: Rich Vs Coll in the Mothers Day massacre, Hogg booting 10. Rich vs WCE in 1995 at Princess Park, we were good and it felt like we were good. Rich vs Carl in 1997 again at Princes Park, coming from 42 down to deny the scum a finals spot, the tiger fans were rocking that day, it was like we made the finals.

2000's: Rich vs Carl in 2001, FU Silvagni 300th ruined. Rich vs PA in 2005 at docklands with Richo putting on a clinic taking 17 marks and 3 snags. We trailed 9-35 and then went 114-32 to win by 56. And off course the Sheedy/Hird farewell at the G in 2007, is my favourite non finals win against the druggies.

2010's: Rich vs StK 2012 at docklands, was just an epic game plus first win over them in 9 years. Rich vs Coll in 2015, to thrash them by 91 was just awesome after the pastings they had given us over the years. Rich vs WCE in 2019 at the G, was a classic and would've been been that years GF if the eagles didn't screw up their season after that game.

2020"s: 2020 covid, 2021 found it hard to get into it, 2022 didn't get too many games due to lack of interest from the covid fallout, 2023 i suppose the geelong game.

People will never understand how special the 1995 season, especially for a teenage Richmond fan. Despite all the flags, I would still place the 1995 Home & Away season (note "Home & Away Season) as my favourite in Richmond history, possibly tied with 2017. The enthusiasm of the group, the era it happened - everything about it was just incredibly special. At least to me anyway
100% !! 1995 got me through some dark times as a supporter back then. Still reckon Richo doing his knee in Sydney ****ed us over for a number of years though, and who knows what a firing young Richo could have done for us in finals.

100% !! 1995 got me through some dark times as a supporter back then. Still reckon Richo doing his knee in Sydney ****ed us over for a number of years though, and who knows what a firing young Richo could have done for us in finals.
That second half of the 95 semi v Essendon probably got replayed more than live games itself through the late 90's early 2000's
(Well Knighta's 3 goals, and the second half)...

"if he kicks this, have a listen to this, have a listen to this.........."

Rich vs Coll in 2015, to thrash them by 91 was just awesome after the pastings they had given us over the years.
Loved the whole post, but this one brought back some fond memories. Late in the season, tuning up for finals (bloody Norf), beautiful sunny day and T. Vickery having a day out and kicking 6!

Living in Sydney.
Two stand outs:
1 Giants game last year with Picket’s goal in the last minute. Sitting a few along from Dale “The Flea“ Weightman.
Very vocal support. Terrific day.
2 Round 9 1995 v Swans. I seem to remember Richo doing his knee in the warm up- tragic. But we were on that day. Stuart Maxfield kicked multiple running goals as we ran away with it in the last quarter. I think we went top of the ladder.Loss of Maxfield the next year was inexplicable to me. I think he so impressed the Swans that day, they went after him -losing him a huge blow for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back