Opinion Who is the greatest Richmond player of all time?

Who is the greatest Richmond player of all time?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's tough to find ... got it when it was released and then they updated it, but not much!
A couple of years ago I saw it out the front of the Macleod newsagents on a bargain table for $20. We were supposed to be belt tightening that week at home for some reason so I thought I would wait until payday a couple of days later. Of course it was gone by that time. Still kicking myself over that.

Hello and pardon the interruption, Dyer may not be your greatest player but for me he still represents the soul of your Club.

This morning I was rootling around looking for something related to South and came on this. It is a 1965 Dyer article about my mob. Yep it was deservedly scathing but shows the soft spot about the Bloods.

If you have a couple of minutes, give it a read. There are some cracking stories.

Hello and pardon the interruption, Dyer may not be your greatest player but for me he still represents the soul of your Club.

This morning I was rootling around looking for something related to South and came on this. It is a 1965 Dyer article about my mob. Yep it was deservedly scathing but shows the soft spot about the Bloods.

If you have a couple of minutes, give it a read. There are some cracking stories.

Brilliant article and great football times we don't hear of anymore, thanks for posting. Large personalities back then that these days would be hounded to death by Caro and co.

Any yes you are probably right about Jack, not only the heart and soul but one of our greatest easily, problem is you have to be dead to remember it.

wouldn't surprise , for the 1974 GF you had front up to Punt rd 3 times , one to reserve a spot in the queue , two get a queue ticket and final to buy the tickets

I think it was the time to get a queue ticket the boys had a light training run
the stars pinged off but Sheedy walked the queues shook hands hundreds of times got hugs and kisses from old ducks , signed autographs for kids
its great for the game and the club , it showed his people skills and part of why he was a good coach and promoter of the game

so no surprise if Sheedy was very protective of the young supporters

For those unfamiliar with the incident, here's a recap .....

Attachments

• Barrott 1.jpg
    Barrott 1.jpg
    450.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Barrott 2.jpg
    Barrott 2.jpg
    505.9 KB · Views: 33
I’d have JR above Richo due to his total impact on the game
I too have Riewoldt above Richo seen both careers as I'm 33 years old now loved Richo as a kid him & Nick Daffy we're my favs as a kid.
But Jack with the premierships and colemans takes him above, I know accolades aren't everything but I also think the game is harder today when it was 1v1 it was a lot easier but Jack had to compete with all these intercept defenders coming in + his man.

I too have Riewoldt above Richo seen both careers as I'm 33 years old now loved Richo as a kid him & Nick Daffy we're my favs as a kid.
But Jack with the premierships and colemans takes him above, I know accolades aren't everything but I also think the game is harder today when it was 1v1 it was a lot easier but Jack had to compete with all these intercept defenders coming in + his man.
Naturally gifted, Richo was a freak, one of the greatest athletes to have played the game, but he had his flaws, mainly his kicking. If he had have kicked straight he would have kicked easily 100+ more. Jack as far as a complete player may have been better than Richo, but Richo was something special.
Interesting where Roach sits, below both but not by much.

Too hard.

But in many ways Jack Dyer created Richmond as a Big 4 force. He did a lot to transform the game. An absolute immortal of Australian Football, not just Richmond.

In the 60's 70's era Royce Hart was the key player that differentiated us. Saying that KB was a fairly decent player who was central to our success until 1980. Both legends.

In recent years Dusty has been the guy who took us to the pinnacle. But Cotch was the player who transformed the club from losers to champions.

SO I went Dyer, Hart, Dusty. Not in any order. But in some ways you could go for other players who stand at the top of our pecking order in different ways.

We have a great history

Too hard.

But in many ways Jack Dyer created Richmond as a Big 4 force. He did a lot to transform the game. An absolute immortal of Australian Football, not just Richmond.

In the 60's 70's era Royce Hart was the key player that differentiated us. Saying that KB was a fairly decent player who was central to our success until 1980. Both legends.

In recent years Dusty has been the guy who took us to the pinnacle. But Cotch was the player who transformed the club from losers to champions.

SO I went Dyer, Hart, Dusty. Not in any order. But in some ways you could go for other players who stand at the top of our pecking order in different ways.

We have a great history
Bartlett sits with that lot very comfortably.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Naturally gifted, Richo was a freak, one of the greatest athletes to have played the game, but he had his flaws, mainly his kicking. If he had have kicked straight he would have kicked easily 100+ more. Jack as far as a complete player may have been better than Richo, but Richo was something special.
Interesting where Roach sits, below both but not by much.
I don't know how anyone can put Richo top 5 out of all of our great players. he is probably top 10.

respect to those who commented and voted but as a one-eyed Richmond fan who has seen/heard at least over 1000 Richmond games. so many have been great but 3 stand alone for mine, so many great players have so many great games and careers

But to me Martin, Richardson and Bartlett are the only three that have ripped teams to shreds on a consistent basis over many years I'm not talking three or 4 times like some others, I am saying at least double figures.

apologies to a couple of those pre 1970, I never saw play.

51d2a.TitusJack.jpg

Jack Skinny Titus for me,

175cm tall 66Kg ringing wet kicked 970 goals for the tigers in 294 games at an average of 3.3 per game.

Recruited from Castlemaine in 1926 leading goal kicker at the club 11 times and selected in the Victorian state side 14 times.

Won our best and fairest in 1941.

Best described as a goal kicking power house who had the attributes of football intelligence, evasion, skillfulness and nimbleness that preceded by nearly 100 years modern players such as Kevin Bartlett and Shai Bolton.

I think you would probably need to have been the best player in the game for a decent period to be Richmond's best ever player.

I think this rules players like Bartlett and Titus out.

I agree with Dr Tigris above that you are left with Martin, Dyer and Hart. I would add Vic Thorp, who I am pretty sure was seen as the best player in the game for a decent period, and retired the VFL games record holder.

I rate performance in finals way above everything else so from there it is obvious Dusty is my man - with an honourable mention to Bartlett in particular.

I cast my vote for Thorp because I want him to get recognition within the conversation. But Dusty's best 8 finals performances in our flag years for me just elevates him above others, even those who were probably otherwise better players than him. Finals are that important.

Last edited:
I think you would probably need to have been the best player in the game for a decent period to be Richmond's best ever player.

I think this rules players like Bartlett and Titus out.

I agree with Dr Tigris above that you are left with Martin, Dyer and Hart. I would add Vic Thorp, who I am pretty sure was seen as the best player int he game for a decent period, and retired the VFL games record holder.

I rate performance in finals way above everything else so from there it is obvious Dusty is my man - with an honourable mention to Bartlett in particular.

I cast my vote for Thorp because I want him to get recognition within the conversation. But Dusty's best 8 finals performances in our flag years for me just elevates him above others, even those who were probably otherwise better players than him. Finals are that important.

Saying that Dyer and Hart weren't shabby finals performers.

Dyer, to some extent, changed the game. Hart not so much. Dusty has also changed the game (striker position, don't argue etc)

If Hart's knee had modern care I wonder how good he would have been for how long. With one decent leg he was still the best CHF of his generation, undersized and all.

Still hard to argue with what you say Meteoric Rise

Back